• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

What is the going rate for Famicom version of Castlevania III? I see most auctions at $50, which seems pricey. But now that I have expansion audio capability I wanna hear it.
According to Yahoo Auctions, this game seems to be a victim of import price gouging--¥1,200-¥1,500 being the typical going rate for cart only before shipping. Probably because of the legacy of being one of the showcase expansion audio games and being an amazing game. I paid about $40 for my cart a couple years ago just because I wasn't aware of better import options at the time.

You should be able to use a proxy bidding service to pick the game up off of Yahoo Auctions for a much better price, probably under $30 shipped if you play your cards right.

MoxManiac

Picked up a bunch of NES games from a local chain recently, notables being Chubby Cherub for $6, G.I. Joe for $6, Mega Man 3 and River City Ransom for $10 each. It's weird because I never usually find deals like that for retro stuff, and it always happens when I least expect it.

IrishNinja

RGB nintendo came in from bapho (thanks again man!)...shit is glorious. pics don't do it justice. seeing the classics in a whole new light tonight!

IrishNinja

man Code Name: Viper is meaner than Rolling Thunder, i swear

one thing i'm noticing is the overscan on the right side as you move about in side scrolling games, it's present in RGB, composite or PlayChoice PPU mode, not too terribly glaring & definitely something worth the price of entry though. reminds me of the unavoidable bottom screen overscan of genesis games, gonna mess with the borders on the XRGB to see what hides it.

god this thing looks good, had some buddies playing Rescue Rangers a few weeks back and felt fuckin embarrassed about the washed out colors (of course they didn't give a shit, haha), can't wait to show this thing off more now. so glad my buddy found this boxed NES back in '05, it was the prefect model to use since ive taken real good care of it since.

IrishNinja

okay
so i'm kinda drunk off cheap whiskey, eating homemade mashed potatoes & bumping House of Pain to really live the irish-american dream over here, playing Darkwing Duck for the first time (secret best Mega Man clone?) and shit looks dangerous

feelin' good right about now, ya'll should patronize baphomet for his services cause dude does top tier work; for real like if there was a litmus on quality work & customer service, dude would be on the polar end of drakon; my man just goes above & beyond. tell a friend!

IrishNinja

Mzos bout to call me a scrub for this but Darkwing Duck gets hard like criminals son
little mermaid not so much - also overscan issue fixed; i put on a retro mode on the framemeister to try to hide it right? for whatever reason, that did it; now i can turn said mode off and it's just gone. aint even gonna pretend to know what happened but all's good now, only remaining issue is slight trouble with vertical scrolling on heavy scanlines but that's likley on my TV's end, not the fault of the cadillac of NES anyway

think ill fuck around & do some Lolo or Tetris or some such that i can hang with in this state nahmean

Velinos

That RGB mod sounds awesome. I recently upgraded my old tube TV for a nice Sony Trinitron flat tube and that looks pretty good with composite. The problem in the US is trying to find a TV that will take an RGB input. The only ones I've heard of are the Sony PVM monitors and I have only seen those once on craigslist. Anyone else in the US have an RGB mod and if so what do you use for a TV?

kick51

Banned
a cart only copy of castlevania 1 is $20 on ebay now? smh

i'm gonna have to relearn how to shop for retro stuff. every damn game is $10+ on ebay it seems. And they all have fridge magnets! even the fanmade ones!

guardian legend is still cheap though, which is nice

IrishNinja

^for me, garage sales or don't even bother; as you said, way too many common games are jacked up higher than they should be

and yeah, fuckin' fridge magnets showing up first when you select lowest price first & get excited for a second, haha

-KRS-

Fucking Paypal is giving me the "Sorry - We can't send your payment right now" error every time I try to checkout with paypal on ebay since this last friday. I even called their Swedish customer service today but they could not help me there either. She said it was some sort of security measure or something, but she couldn't see exactly what caused it. Sounds like great system design right there. Gaaah it's so frustrating.

wondermega

What's a fridge magnet?
And yes I'll third it, Section Z is indeed fairly rad, always loved that funky boppin' soundtrack. How come none of the hipster retro gaming chip tune cover bands have never paid homage to it?

baphomet

Glad you're enjoying your nes Irish. Shit looks crazy good on my pvm, can't wait to see how it looks with my mini.

I've got a few more I'm doing for folks here soon. When you first see an nes rgb it really is crazy how crisp everything is. Nes probably gets the biggest jump in quality from rgb.

Beckx

Man I love Holy Diver. But holy fuck at that difficulty curve. Finish level one and I'm like "man, that was pretty hard" then after five minutes in level 2, "shit, level one was easy, this is insane!"

According to Yahoo Auctions, this game seems to be a victim of import price gouging--¥1,200-¥1,500 being the typical going rate for cart only before shipping. Probably because of the legacy of being one of the showcase expansion audio games and being an amazing game. I paid about $40 for my cart a couple years ago just because I wasn't aware of better import options at the time.

You should be able to use a proxy bidding service to pick the game up off of Yahoo Auctions for a much better price, probably under $30 shipped if you play your cards right.

Thanks man. I will check those out.

Gunsmithx

Glad you're enjoying your nes Irish. Shit looks crazy good on my pvm, can't wait to see how it looks with my mini.

I've got a few more I'm doing for folks here soon. When you first see an nes rgb it really is crazy how crisp everything is. Nes probably gets the biggest jump in quality from rgb.

I was over with him when he started and it looks so much improved(also lots of fun looking at the different pallets in different games) really makes a huge difference and now I need one myself cant go back :(

Peagles

Anyone got a spare working NTSC NES motherboard they want to sell me on the cheap? I realised I don't want to waste my time installing my NESRGB to a PAL board, lol.

baphomet

Anyone got a spare working NTSC NES motherboard they want to sell me on the cheap? I realised I don't want to waste my time installing my NESRGB to a PAL board, lol.

I may have one tonight. I found one, but couldn't get it working so I wasn't going to bother sending it.

Peagles

I may have one tonight. I found one, but couldn't get it working so I wasn't going to bother sending it.

My PAL board has a perfectly useable 72 pin connector so even if you find one that is good aside from that, I'd be keen. Could be a pain for you to test with a different connector though so all good either way!

kick51

Banned
ordered a NES bundle with 21 games on amazon for $100 from a brand new seller with no feedback. The pic showed that it was very worth it, at least by online prices.. However, I did not see hook ups or controllers for the NES. And amazon takes away pics after you buy, so I don't remember all the games off the top of my head, but the 3 SMB games were in there, along with Batman and a bunch of others i was happy about seeing. My gut told me it was someone who didn't really research before they listed and the rest of their stuff is non-gaming, therefore they accidentally gave a decent price.

insanitywolf.jpg

honestly, if the games are right and the system only needs a new pin connector + controllers, I'll be happy. I've got a spare official a/c adaptor for some reason. and the amazon a-z guarantee to fall back on, yay

nwc gold cart incoming

Teknoman

ordered a NES bundle with 21 games on amazon for $100 from a brand new seller with no feedback. The pic showed that it was very worth it, at least by online prices.. However, I did not see hook ups or controllers for the NES. And amazon takes away pics after you buy, so I don't remember all the games off the top of my head, but the 3 SMB games were in there, along with Batman and a bunch of others i was happy about seeing. My gut told me it was someone who didn't really research before they listed and the rest of their stuff is non-gaming, therefore they accidentally gave a decent price.

insanitywolf.jpg

honestly, if the games are right and the system only needs a new pin connector + controllers, I'll be happy. I've got a spare official a/c adaptor for some reason. and the amazon a-z guarantee to fall back on, yay

nwc gold cart incoming

Bet Little Samson, Bubble Bobble 2, Panic Restaurant, and Metal Storm are in there too. That would be awesome though, so fingers crossed.

smbu2000

That RGB mod sounds awesome. I recently upgraded my old tube TV for a nice Sony Trinitron flat tube and that looks pretty good with composite. The problem in the US is trying to find a TV that will take an RGB input. The only ones I've heard of are the Sony PVM monitors and I have only seen those once on craigslist. Anyone else in the US have an RGB mod and if so what do you use for a TV?

I'm not sure how they are in other places, but the 25" Sony Wega (flatscreen) TV that I bought in Japan has a Multi A/V plug on it (like the plug found on a PS1/PS2/PS3 for A/V) which does RGB. (If you have the multi A/V to multi A/V cable you can connect your PS1/PS2/PS3 directly to it.) Anyway, I had picked up a multi A/V to JP21 RGB adapter that a guy on Yahoo Auctions JP had made.

I was using that to connect my consoles to the Wega for RGB. I was mainly using that until I picked up my Sony PVM. Then I picked up a BNC to JP21 RGB adapter from retrogamingcables to use with it.

Im going to revisit it after finishing a few other games with the tips from this thread...but I can see how people could be quickly turned off.

Well I haven't played it since maybe 1989 or 1990, so my opinion might've changed since then. ;-p

Mzo

A popular solution is an RGB to component video adapter. It won't be perfect RGB but it will look roughly a million times better than composite on an SD CRT.

I'm not sure how they are in other places, but the 25" Sony Wega (flatscreen) TV that I bought in Japan has a Multi A/V plug on it (like the plug found on a PS1/PS2/PS3 for A/V) which does RGB. (If you have the multi A/V to multi A/V cable you can connect your PS1/PS2/PS3 directly to it.) Anyway, I had picked up a multi A/V to JP21 RGB adapter that a guy on Yahoo Auctions JP had made.

Do you mean mini-DIN connection? If so, would that bolded part work? I always assumed the original model PS1 had a mini-Din with 6 pins that carried s-video whereas RGB mini-din would have 8 pins.

smbu2000

Do you mean mini-DIN connection? If so, would that bolded part work? I always assumed the original model PS1 had a mini-Din with 6 pins that carried s-video whereas RGB mini-din would have 8 pins.

No, I mean the multi av connector. The Wega tvs in Japan had a multi av connector on the tv as well (in addition to the standard composite/s-video/d-terminal component). I guess they wanted to make it easier for people to hook up their PS2s to their Sony tv as the description on the JP page for my tv advertises it as an easy way to hook up your PS2 to the tv to watch dvd movies in high quality.

This one that I have has it on the front, but I've seen others with it on the back.
IMG_3105_a_zps7c24f3f0.jpg

Previously Sony sold a multi av to multi av cable for connecting your PS1/PS2 to tv directly for RGB or component video.
http://www.sony.jp/av-cable/products/VMC-AVM250/

The guy took one of those cables, cut it and wired one end of it to a JP21 rgb connector so it can be used with other consoles.

It works well, when I originally hooked up my MD to it with the MD rgb cable and that adapter it looked fantastic on the tv.

No, I mean the multi av connector. The Wega tvs in Japan had a multi av connector on the tv as well (in addition to the standard composite/s-video/d-terminal component). I guess they wanted to make it easier for people to hook up their PS2s to their Sony tv as the description on the JP page for my tv advertises it as an easy way to hook up your PS2 to the tv to watch dvd movies in high quality.

This one that I have has it on the front, but I've seen others with it on the back.

Previously Sony sold a multi av to multi av cable for connecting your PS1/PS2 to tv directly for RGB or component video.

The guy took one of those cables, cut it and wired one end of it to a JP21 rgb connector so it can be used with other consoles.

It works well, when I originally hooked up my MD to it with the MD rgb cable and that adapter it looked fantastic on the tv.
Oh wow, I totally wasn't aware of this connection. That's really interesting.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
RGB nintendo came in from bapho (thanks again man!)...shit is glorious. pics don't do it justice. seeing the classics in a whole new light tonight!

Jealous as hell!! Congrats.

I'm doing it as soon as I can. I just can't tell whether to do my NES, OG Famicom or AV Famicom !!

baphomet

Just finished up another NES RGB for another user on the board. He wanted svideo, rgb, palette switch, expanded audio, and lockout switch. Turned out gorgeous as usual. These boards are seriously like magic, it's crazy how good a picture you get out of them.

That is definitely interesting!

Mzo

Just finished up another NES RGB for another user on the board. He wanted svideo, rgb, palette switch, expanded audio, and lockout switch. Turned out gorgeous as usual. These boards are seriously like magic, it's crazy how good a picture you get out of them.

God damn, that sounds amazing. I think I'm going to be hitting you up for a similar treatment soon...

baphomet

never played that one, but looks like another bangup job man! is the expanded audio thing worth it, you think?

Never played shatterhand? You should definitely take care of that. The expanded audio is just for the Famicom games. Yours has it, its just wired through the regular Genesis 2 scart cable. Tims cable has separate outputs for audio and video is why there is a separate 1/8th stereo jack.

God damn, that sounds amazing. I think I'm going to be hitting you up for a similar treatment soon...

Feel free to hit me up. Hopefully there will be more boards made up next month. It's definitely worth it though.

Leonsito

I'm planning to do the rgb out mod, any good tutorial you would recommend? I found a couple of them but I'm not sure at all, and it seems like you did a fantastic job there.

What is the palette switch mod ?

baphomet

I'm planning to do the rgb out mod, any good tutorial you would recommend? I found a couple of them but I'm not sure at all, and it seems like you did a fantastic job there.

What is the palette switch mod ?

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php is the only set of instructions I believe. If you're doing an rgb mod you should get the nes rgb board this guy sells. It's cheaper than a play choice 10 ppu, and the resulting picture quality is significantly better. Not to mention the entire kit will cost less than a pc10 ppu.

The palette switch is built into the board and it let's you select between the regular composite colors, an improved set of colors, and the pc10 colors.

Mzo

Getting stuff from the NintendoAge forums is so weird... Some people put up some really great deals and it's one of the few places where you can buy a lot of old booklets and boxes, which is nice if you already have the games.

Some people, though, vastly over-estimate the worth of their stuff and really try to squeeze as much out of it as possible. $80 for a CIB Chip and Dale's 1? Yeah, it's really nice looking but holy fuck. No.

It's a crap shoot, I guess, never hurts to ask!

Top Bottom