• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

baphomet

I'm ordering some boards tonight. If you want one done pm me and we can work out the details. I've done 3-4 for folks on the board.

IrishNinja

^again, top notch work too. the only downside is that playing NES at a friend's place on composite again will make your eyes vomit blood, which is unfortunate but that's what raising your standards does for you

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
^again, top notch work too. the only downside is that playing NES at a friend's place on composite again will make your eyes vomit blood, which is unfortunate but that's what raising your standards does for you

Just by seeing the difference on other systems, it spoils you. =(

IrishNinja

^however, it does make me wish the XRGB had a good/better oversan filter for the sidescrolling parts that overscan on stuff like Little Nemo

IrishNinja

^i guess it depends...you might have a lotta sentiment with that one, but then that would make me wanna trick it out/improve it. personally i took the one my buddy had in the box till like '04 or so (it's been carefully taken care of since) and went with it, had bapho kill the lockout chip too. he said the board was in great shape but must've tightened it up something fierce cause the first week or so my dainty hands had a struggle getting carts back out, haha. most were working without even pushing them down, even!

of course now most want to be pushed down prolly cause i fucked up and played stuff before my recent cleaning-mania but anyway.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hey Irish.. Is your NES modded for Famicom sound channels? I see you were looking into adapters. Just curious. It's a must for Fami (well, one or two games anyway ;)

I'm ordering some boards tonight. If you want one done pm me and we can work out the details. I've done 3-4 for folks on the board.
I would so be in! except my NES is in another castle :( (I mean city)

baphomet

I never want to have to put up with a front-loader again.
I prefer the look of the front loader. Also with a really good 72 pin you don't even have to push the carts down and they'll boot 100% of the time.

Fucking with an old front loader with a shitty connector can be the most frustrating thing on the planet though.

Also, I never remove my everdrive as well.

ah, i totally don't! i'm only after like 5 or so fami carts so far, which ones utilize it?
The comprehensive list: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/List_of_games_with_expansion_audio

For actual carts, there are a lot less than I expected, but you figure the developers and publishers probably looked at it and wondered if it was even worth the extra time, effort, and (probably) money. You figure mapper chips with expansion audio cost more than more standard mappers, and when you start ordering 10k-20k chips, even a dollar or two difference would matter a hell of a lot. Then you have to figure that if the game gets localized to other regions, all the music has to be rearranged.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
heres some filler i picked up this weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/darkdrake27/20140308_193804.jpg[IMG]

Just crap games but for $1 a piece, I was happy.

Considering things are pretty much dry around my area, due to resellers.[/QUOTE]

tim follin did the music for pictionary you should put that in and listen to the music that game has no right to sound that amazing should be illegal

womp

ah, just looked it up...i adjust to these things but at a glance that diagonal layout might initially kinda tricky

Ya know, after years of GBA/GBC and DS etc having those buttons diagonal may not be too bad. I too would like to snag a dogbone at some point...

-KRS-

I don't understand how they could've thought that dog-bone controller button layout was a good idea. Especially since they already designed several games around the button layout of the standard controller.

Ya know, after years of GBA/GBC and DS etc having those buttons diagonal may not be too bad. I too would like to snag a dogbone at some point...

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But on SNES and DS, using Mario as an example, run is X and jump is B. The angle orientation is reversed on the dogbone making it a bit disorienting.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hmm, wait what?

http://analogueinteractive.com/analogue-nt

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/an...t+-+Retro+Gaming+&+Game+Collectors+Community)

BiiRmBdCAAEctIw.jpg

Mzo

You'd think that, wouldn't you? But on SNES and DS, using Mario as an example, run is X and jump is B. The angle orientation is reversed on the dogbone making it a bit disorienting.

Right, it's basically having to use the A and B buttons on the DS when playing GBA games, which is the main reason why I don't do that. Horrible. And Nintendo KNOWS it's horrible because their DS games don't fucking use A and B, they use X and B like they should.

That makes me so mad.

Chairhome

In relation to the image above, does anyone have any good images of famicom or NES games like that (in a pile, scattered) for wallpaper use? I used to have one of some colorful famicom carts but I can't find it anymore :-/

Finished Mega Man 3. The jump in difficulty from 1&2 to 3 is fucking insane. Way longer too with the second set of stages before you get to Wily's castle.

It occurred to me that this is probably the first time I've actually beat these games on a real NES and without cheats. Feel pretty bad ass, or at least I will when I finish the last three.

Teknoman

Im not gonna lie. The NT might look cool in action...but I only went with a CMVS for the fact that there really isnt any other way to play MVS games aside from a CMVS or actual cab.

My NES + Famicom converter works just fine.

The guy does make pretty nice products though, so I guess if you've got the funds and dont mind not having the original stuff, it'll probably be a good way to go.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The jump in difficulty from 1&2 to 3 is fucking insane.
I didn't think so. The retread stages were the only hard part and those aren't bad if you already have a weakness chart handy. I think you can also stockpile more E tanks in that game.

Wily's Castle in MM3 is basically a victory lap compared to 1 & 2.

I didn't think so. The retread stages were the only hard part and those aren't bad if you already have a weakness chart handy. I think you can also stockpile more E tanks in that game.

Wily's Castle in MM3 is basically a victory lap compared to 1 & 2.

Yeah, Wily's castle isn't too bad. Exactly like you said, it was the retread stages that were hard as fuck for me.

I posted a thread about some high-end NES clone coming out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783663

It's claiming to be RGB, but as with all NES clone to date, better to keep expectations in check.

You were long beaten in both your post and your thread:

I'm intrigued to hear the full details on it. What else could it be if it's not emulation, short of ripping out the parts of original systems and using them?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hero_of_the_Day said:
I'm intrigued to hear the full details on it. What else could it be if it's not emulation, short of ripping out the parts of original systems and using them?

Supposedly reverse-engineered to use modern parts and make use of modern features. An example would be the Atari Flashback systems:
The original Atari Flashback was a NES-on-a-chip (NOAC) - the games were actually newly programmed NES ports of Atari 2600 games.
The Atari Flashback 2 and 2+ were re-engineered hardware clones using modern parts - you could add a cartridge slot and run actual Atari carts!
The Atari Flashback 3 and 4 however were machines which used software emulation to run the games.

I wonder if this is a continuation of the Super 8 project http://hackaday.com/2013/02/09/building-a-better-nes/
https://www.tindie.com/products/low_budget/nes-super-8-v18/

It is done:

It's crazy to play them all in order and watch the graphics get better and better. Six is pretty damn impressive looking. Three was the toughest one for me, with 1 or 6 being the easiest.

Forgot I never shared this either:

Click on picture for youtube video, hopefully the link works.

Friend made it for me. I thought it was pretty fucking awesome.

Mzo

I would never say 1 is the easiest! It has those stupid sentient platforms in Ice Man stage that love to fuck with you, the Yellow Devil and that pretty rough boss rush leading to Wily.

I'd say 2 is easier.

Good job, though, those games are awesome!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What the hell happened to Mega Man 5 all of a sudden?

People are bidding up to $70-$80 for it in just the past couple months.

-KRS-

2 is definitely the easiest in my opinion, although admittedly I've not played the ones after 3 that much. 3 is really tough. Especially the Wily levels. I doubt I'll be able to beat that one anytime soon. It's also pretty long.

I would never say 1 is the easiest! It has those stupid sentient platforms in Ice Man stage that love to fuck with you, the Yellow Devil and that pretty rough boss rush leading to Wily.

I'd say 2 is easier.

Good job, though, those games are awesome!

I was honestly surprised at how easy most of them were. I've always had it in my head that they were some of the hardest games out there and had never beaten them without cheats or save states on an emulator before. Each game has its tough as fuck moments, but Three was really the only super hard one for me.

I was surprised how much I liked Four also. I've always had a negative view of that one. But, I thought it was cool that it was the first to really have hidden items/weapons and some branching paths.

I think Six was probably the low point for me. Awesome graphics, but the Robot Masters were pretty lame and just felt like they were going through the motions level design-wise. Some of the levels felt super short as well. One had pretty short levels as well, but that was excusable since it was the first and all.

Velinos

What the hell happened to Mega Man 5 all of a sudden?

People are bidding up to $70-$80 for it in just the past couple months.

It is probably just the result of people thinking it is a rare game that they need to get now before the price gets too high. The result being that sellers see this trend and therefore keep raising the price and when people see that sellers are pricing it at $100 they bid to $70-$80 because they think they are getting a deal at that point.

Mzo

I was honestly surprised at how easy most of them were. I've always had it in my head that they were some of the hardest games out there and had never beaten them without cheats or save states on an emulator before. Each game has its tough as fuck moments, but Three was really the only super hard one for me.

I was surprised how much I liked Four also. I've always had a negative view of that one. But, I thought it was cool that it was the first to really have hidden items/weapons and some branching paths.

I think Six was probably the low point for me. Awesome graphics, but the Robot Masters were pretty lame and just felt like they were going through the motions level design-wise. Some of the levels felt super short as well. One had pretty short levels as well, but that was excusable since it was the first and all.

It might be from all the insufferable whining you hear from people about the games. They're very fair and well-made, you have a giant health bar and lots of health refills for buffering any mistakes AND unlimited continues.

I agree that 6 looks the best but is the lamest, haha. Lame story, lame bosses. Great graphics, though. I had a lot of fun with 4 and 5, don't see the hate at all. Whatever. People are bad at games.

Top Bottom