• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix original shows are a crime against humanity

Like Hulu is any better

• Total voters

Malakhov

Banned
Netflix shjows that ive enjoyed or my kids did:

dark crystal
stranger things
dark
13 reasons why
the end of the fking world
castlevania
voltron
she-ra
trollhunters

Last edited:
Some of their shows are watchable - but at least they have ton of anime and still get some of the better movies that were in cinemas

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Name a station or streaming service that you don't think has a ton of crap shows. Of course every show isn't gonna be awesome, but there are plenty of good shows, especially if you don't mind dubs or subs.

You could say that about stories in general dating back to the Greeks.
Not really.

Seems as the greeks, romans and plays of shakespeare did something new each time.

Tv had a period of refreshing change every few years. 2000 onwards it's been on a nose dive. Comedy, largely died in the 90s. One could even argue the 80's

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not really.

Seems as the greeks, romans and plays of shakespeare did something new each time.

Tv had a period of refreshing change every few years. 2000 onwards it's been on a nose dive. Comedy, largely died in the 90s. One could even argue the 80's
Shakespeare was the same old story of tragedy and death though.

brian0057

Banned
Best original shows on Netflix (that I've watched):
  • Daredevil.
  • Jessica Jones (Only Season 1).
  • Mindhunter.
  • Dark.
  • Stranger Things (Only Season 1).
  • Castlevania.
  • Altered Carbon.
  • TrollHunter.
  • Violet Evergarden.
  • Voltron: Legendary Defender (Only the first two seasons).
  • Narcos.

Comedy, largely died in the 90s. One could even argue the 80's

B3PZI8sCAAApJez.jpg

Son, Comedy didn't even begin until the 90's.

How are people still singing the praises of Hill House? That ending was one of the worst I've ever seen for any show. There were some good episodes but overall, Flanagan lost his mind.

brap

Banned
Yeah yeah, everything sucks these days and shows were so much better back when you were young or whatever.
This is you
Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

Now name 1 show better than The Sopranos. I'll wait.

I know that’s sarcasm. But generally when a show gets an award that is what it means. I know that’s a tough concept for you to grasp, so take your time.
It's really not. Awards are just popularity contests. Quit taking everything at face value.

Blade2.0

All modern shows suck.
The Boys season 1 was almost perfection, so kindly take back your words, good sir.

Also Bojack horseman is a Netflix original and it's one of the best shows ever, so....I disagree vehemently with the topic of this thread.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Also Bojack horseman is a Netflix original and it's one of the best shows ever, so....I disagree vehemently with the topic of this thread.
In what universe? Cartoon is basically rich people problems featuring people that can never be happy.

Keihart

In what universe? Cartoon is basically rich people problems featuring people that can never be happy.
But that is the whole fucking point isn't it? It's making fun and commenting on it, i think that it somehow tackles very similar themes to Rick and Morty but in way more subtle ways. I love the episode that starts with Bojack's Euology to his mother, that shit is gold:

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But that is the whole fucking point isn't it? It's making fun and commenting on it, i think that it somehow tackles very similar themes to Rick and Morty but in way more subtle ways. I love the episode that starts with Bojack's Euology to his mother, that shit is gold:

I'm never gonna call it the best show cartoon in the world and it runs in circles too much but AT LEAST it is funny unlike Rick and Morty. Come on now.

Yoda

Disclaimer: I cancelled my Netflix sub a few months ago.

Kind of mixed feeling on Netflix's original content. I'm all for tv-entertainment companies willing to take risks, lord knows the movie industry doesn't. That being said I assumed overtime the % of their output which weren't lemons would shrink, and while this is of course just my opinion, I really believe it's just as bad as it was a few years ago.

All the original content was suppose to be their "moat" to fend off would-be competitors. Here we are in 2019 and everyone and their mother is creating a streaming service, clearly no one who would greenlight these decisions (to create streaming services) felt intimidated by Netflix's catalog. I'm not sure it's in the company's DNA to create quality content. For every season 1 of Stranger Things, there are 40 shows I didn't bother finishing, which leads me to believe creating a show at the level of season 1 Stranger Things is blind luck for Netflix, as opposed to a legitimate creative pipeline. Now you could say this luck applies to the entire entertainment industry, and I'd agree to an extent, but I'd point to other companies which produce decent content, consistenly, w/a much lower budget, (HBO) and argue there is some creative infrastucture simply absent at Netflix, and their leadership either doesn't know how to implement it, or is in denial about the quality of their catalog.

sol_bad

We just finished Unbelievable and I thought it was great. About a couple of detectives investigating rape cases.

20cent

Banned
The good stuff:

Devilman Crybaby
Dark
The OA
Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories
The Haunting of Hill House
A Very Secret Service (hard to recommend to non-french speaker for its humor)

"Okay" category":

Sense8
Russian doll
Atered Carbon
Castlevania
Mindhunter
Kantaro: Sweet Tooth Salaryman
Samurai Gourmet
Stranger Things
The Alienist
Daredevil (but never bothered to watch to the end)

Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman are not funny since they're on Netflix. (don't know if related or co-produced)

The rest looks like garbage with zombie make-up thumbnails and generic sci-fi random stuff.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The good stuff:

Devilman Crybaby
Dark
The OA
Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories
The Haunting of Hill House
A Very Secret Service (hard to recommend to non-french speaker for its humor)

"Okay" category":

Sense8
Russian doll
Atered Carbon
Castlevania
Mindhunter
Kantaro: Sweet Tooth Salaryman
Samurai Gourmet
Stranger Things
The Alienist
Daredevil (but never bothered to watch to the end)

Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman are not funny since they're on Netflix. (don't know if related or co-produced)

The rest looks like garbage with zombie make-up thumbnails and generic sci-fi random stuff.
Devil CryBaby was an abomination though.

20cent

Banned
I speak Spanish and it's sort of like French.
Does that work?

Err It takes place in the 60's and the jokes refer to a lot of historical figures, events, language desuetude...
Probably not funny without the background references and translated subtitles.

Devil CryBaby was an abomination though.

I don't know, I thought it was a good adaptation of the original manga with a good pace and OST as well.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Err It takes place in the 60's and the jokes refer to a lot of historical figures, events, language desuetude...
Probably not funny without the background references and translated subtitles.

I don't know, I thought it was a good adaptation of the original manga with a good pace and OST as well.
It was badly animated and skipped important bits the original had. They also rushed the year war and the original characters jobbed. I don't get how they don't censor tits and sex but they censor his gf being displayed to him after they cut her up either.

I am in the opposite camp I guess...
I am an old fart who enjoys modern shows a lot more than the stuff I watched when I was a kid, teen or young adult.

Lots more variety, themes and the quality of what is shown is so much better than the shit we had back then..

TTOOLL

Stranger Things
BoJack Horseman
Mindhunter
Ozark
Daredevil S1
Master of None
The Crown
and Glow

are excellent show imo. I stopped paying for Nexflix in January though, and one of the reasons is the lack of good new shows. The other is the absurd price for 4k streaming.

JimiNutz

Banned
Mindhunters
Narcos and Narcos: Mexico
Big Mouth
Glow
Stranger Things
Love, Death & Robots

I have enjoyed those shows and think that they're pretty top tier.

I suppose that's not a great record considering how many shows they make lol

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I watched a show that looked like a turd and now i blame entire netflix shows for my bad judgement 😂

Blame yourself, shit looks like garbage from the picture, nevermind the trailer

MMaRsu

Banned
Watched the trailer and almost puked. It's a crime that netflix recommends this crap to me while i'm watching The Walking Dead. GTFO with that hippie bullcrap

What does it say of the OP he watched it after seeing the picture/trailer 🤷🏼‍♂️

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I watched a show that looked like a turd and now i blame entire netflix shows for my bad judgement 😂

Blame yourself, shit looks like garbage from the picture, nevermind the trailer
Reading a 2 page thread is hard! Yes only this show is bad and trailers are always perfect indicators of the quality of said shows!

MMaRsu

Banned
Reading a 2 page thread is hard! Yes only this show is bad and trailers are always perfect indicators of the quality of said shows!

The trailer and pictures do indeed give away the quality of the show

Just like this

sSC6EtK.jpg

cFSghxd.png

Should tell you enough about the quality of said movie

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The show is actually far worse than the previews rice kun.

all the stuff I've watched from them has been great.

Stranger Things s1 (pretended the show ended there due to restless villagers)
Mindhunter
Castlevania
Bojack
Black Mirror
Narcos
Punisher

Top Bottom