• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix set to raise prices again – despite password crackdown

Spyxos

Gold Member
GettyImages-1230432459.jpg

According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, Netflix will raise prices in “several markets globally”, starting with the US and Canada, beginning a “few months” after the Hollywood actors strike ends.

The strike had been going from May to late September, The Writers Guild of America issued a statement announcing that an agreement had been reached with the Alliance Motion Picture Television Producers. A formal contract was being drafted on the negotiations on residuals, streaming, and the use of AI as a writing tool. Actors are still on strike, and it is not clear when they will resume work.

DrFigs

I've been getting it for free through t-mobile. so the price increases haven't affected me at all. wonder if this will change at some point.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It really feels like two increases a year at the min. Its probably because all the scare-mongering starts a couple of months in advance so it only feels like it.

Mossybrew

Yeah, used to be Netflix was a no-brainer to always keep a sub, but this year I've gone to a cycle of unsubbing for about two months, then subbing for a month, repeat.

VN1X

Banned
Yay price yourself out of the market!

Their content is severely lacking so the gall to ask for even more in subscription prices is almost impressive. Going the way of Blockbuster?

I generally wait until there is plenty of things to watch and then subscribe for a month and then kill it. Netflix keeps me coming back for their documentaries more than anything else. I imagine it'll be some time before we see the final season of Stranger Things now.

Fbh

None of these subscription services are worth having permanently anymore. There was a time Netflix had a mix of price and content where I didn't mind always paying for it, but these days you basically just wait for them to release a couple of actually good stuff (which can take a while) and then you just subscibe for a month or two to watch them.

And it's pretty much the same for every other one.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Still getting our money's worth via that absolute shite my better half watches, at least.

Trunx81

Interesting insights into Netflix castings: A German comedian was in discussion with Netflix to make a movie out of his autobiography.

According to the report, Netflix also originally wanted to produce his cinema success "Sun and Concrete," the film adaptation of Lobrecht's autobiographically inspired bestseller of the same name. But according to Lobrecht, the streaming service wanted to interfere too much with the film's content. "The fiction department at Netflix is completely nuts. They're really deep down in this woke-gaga."

For example, some criminal characters with an immigrant background were to be rewritten as Germans. "They wanted to make Neukölln politically correct, to make my youth fit into their political movie." A gang of Arab drug dealers was to be replaced by a gang of German lesbian girls.

Yikes! Good thing we dumped it last week

Honestly people learn to cycle through these services every year.

Last edited:

Sephimoth

I cancelled when they had the audacity to backtrack on password sharing. Didn't like their tone in that email, so...

NinjaBoiX

They need to be careful with the frequency of these price rises…
I cancelled when they had the audacity to backtrack on password sharing. Didn't like their tone in that email, so...
They offered password sharing to hook extra customers in, happy to exchange lost revenue for extra exposure to build their user base. It was obviously never going to be a long term thing, business use this kind of model all the time.

They then made the sensible business decision to realise that as a household name they really don’t need the exposure anymore, and would rather lose some “customers” who weren’t really worth much to them financially anyway.

And, you know, it’s their business and they can do what they want? And it’s just a streaming service that you don’t need at all?

Some people seem to have reacted as if your water company had started to charge each individual tap user or something.

The audacity? Are you serious?

Sephimoth

They need to be careful with the frequency of these price rises…

They offered password sharing to hook extra customers in, happy to exchange lost revenue for extra exposure to build their user base. It was obviously never going to be a long term thing, business use this kind of model all the time.

They then made the sensible business decision to realise that as a household name they really don’t need the exposure anymore, and would rather lose some “customers” who weren’t really worth much to them financially anyway.

And, you know, it’s their business and they can do what they want? And it’s just a streaming service that you don’t need at all?

Some people seem to have reacted as if your water company had started to charge each individual tap user or something.

The audacity? Are you serious?
Of course I'm serious. They encourage password sharing, then they write an email as if you're stealing from them and demand more money. F*ck em

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Remember when Netflix was simple, have nice content and was just like $15? Good times... Nowadays we don't have any

NinjaBoiX

Of course I'm serious. They encourage password sharing, then they write an email as if you're stealing from them and demand more money. F*ck em
OK man, you do you I guess.

But they don’t owe you shit, it’s a service they’re offering and they get to offer it to you in whichever way they see fit.

Agree to their terms or don’t, it’s not like it’s a necessity.

I don’t get people’s outrage man…

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah. It's ridiculous that they took that kind of stance after encouraging the practice for years.

Tams

I haven't subscribed to them for years now and I'm definitely not going to again with the shite they put out now.

I managed to watch One Piece, which suprisingly was pretty good, but not worth maintaining a sub with them.

Top Bottom