• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never Lose The Passion To GET HYPE

Umbasaborne

Banned
I get so hyped for hot new game announcements that i have no choice but to stop what im doing and furiously masturbate. At that point i start convulsing and screaming. Once im taken in for medical care, and the doctors ask what caused this, i tell them “its because a new kirby game got announced git hyped lets gooooo!” Then i bust a nut all over the er. Anyone else do this or just me?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Great post OP. Totally agree.

It's become the status quo in gaming circles to be cynical, claim everything is "cringe", and to just generally have a sour, negative, pessimistic attitude towards everything.

Fuck that. I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT for RE4, Starfield, Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor, Suicide Squad, and a ton of others this year. And I'll always hold out hope for that Banjo Kazooie 3 announcement.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Great post OP. Totally agree.

It's become the status quo in gaming circles to be cynical, claim everything is "cringe", and to just generally have a sour, negative, pessimistic attitude towards everything.

Fuck that. I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT for RE4, Starfield, Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor, Suicide Squad, and a ton of others this year. And I'll always hold out hope for that Banjo Kazooie 3 announcement.
Im convinced microsoft and rare hate banjo lol

shiru

Banned
OMGOMGOMG NEW PRODUCT IS COMING GET HYPE!!! MY BUSSY IS READY!!!
The fuck? As if there aren't good reasons for that.

Last edited:

sachos

We should define what "getting hyped" really means, i think people have a problem with it when it gets conflated with Youtube/Twitter over reacting for views, and the expectation that you should love and consume every piece of media ever. To me it means getting excited/happy that things are happening, even if i dont particularly like the game i can still be happy that that game fanbase are getting a new entry. I like how you put it "hype responsibily", dont let your eagerness to get excited blind you from obvious issues or problems.

My HYPE is off the charts this year.

Hogwarts Legacy, Tears of the Kingdom and Starfield all in one go is a dream come true but when you look at the supporting cast of games it simply gets better and better.

Nah man, you gotta chill. At least one of these will be a disappointment (and it won't be Zelda).

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nah man, you gotta chill. At least one of these will be a disappointment (and it won't be Zelda).
That’s the beauty of the hype cycle. I will just get hyped for ‘next big thing™’. I hear Fable and Avowed are the next big thing anyway.

oji-san

Banned
Don't know.. i was even excited to try a game like High on Life (before all the praise from players), I never lower my excitement as at worse i will not enjoy/less enjoy the game.

SweetShark

Hype is an awesome feeling and I wish to everyone to have for specific games.
But...
We must always need to know when to stop.
SI_WiiU_3DS_MightyNo9_image1600w.jpg

Mobilemofo

Hype is bollocks. Set your bar low (see cyberpunk, anthem etc). If these las few gens have taught us anything, it's caution.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’m hyped for 2023 - PSVR2, a new Zelda, a new FF, a new Bethesda RPG. Just those 4 things alone have me pretty damn excited. Everything else is gravy, and there’s plenty of that too.

Raven117

Nah, I just look forward to games I'm interested in. Try not to swallow too much media when I know I'm already in.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I try to avoid the hype train. I've been burnt a couple of times and it just stings. Some games are impossible to not get pumped up about, such as a new Final Fantasy, or something directed by Miyazaki, but otherwise I try to not get swept away with pretty trailers and promises of Paradise. It usually doesn't end well if your head is up in the clouds.

Last edited:
Hype is definitely one of the aspect that I enjoy. I love watching videos about theories, leaks, rumors and trailer analysis.

It's a great feeling that I don't want to let go. Goal is to not have out of this world expectations.

Grechy34

Never understood that, too. The game is 70% Johnny Silverhand, 100% night City and 90% augmentations and you see none of it in the cover. Just some Justin Timberlake lookalike with a gun. Uh. One of the most boring covers I've ever seen.

I honestly reckon it's one of the worst covers in modern day gaming for a AAA game.

Naked Lunch

Every once in a while it still happens in gaming for me. As much as I rag on modern games - the hobby still has things to get excited over.
This past year it was the Armored Core VI reveal.
Getting in on the Street Fighter 6 beta right before xmas was pretty cool too.

Last edited:
Yea I love hype…even when a game disappoints there’s still one or two that lives up to it. Elden ring was peak hype and when I played it got me even more hype going boss to boss. Peak was the placidus battle. Next hype train for me is hades 2 and starfield.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd really like that but unfortunately, as of late, the gaming industry is making it really difficult for me to get excited about anything without feeling like a complete sucker once the games eventually come out.

Flutta

Banned
I only get hyped for FROM games. The western games industry is sad and disgusting.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Give me old school hype.
Giant picture (often a carefully posed scantily dressed model) a bunch of ludicrous hype text about how the game would change life as we know it and a few tiny grainy screenshots of the very best looking parts of the game hidden away in a corner if you were lucky.
Nowadays even bullshots are gone and we get pixel by pixel analysis of games with graphs of frametimes, 20x closeups of window frames and 4K play through videos. Hype is just refusal to accept the facts in front of your face nowadays.

Last edited:
Top Bottom