• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverending Nightmares - horror game by Retro/Grade dev [KS ends today]

petran79

Banned
Not really. 100K is very little money to make a game, even an indie game.

I should better say, they put a high stretch goal from the start for such a game.
start with 10-15k and then according to funds see how it goes.

I mean, games like FTL, Ghost Song and Auditorium 2 started with lower stretch goals (10k, 15k and 60k), regardless of the funds they received in the end

I should better say, they put a high stretch goal from the start for such a game.
start with 10-15k and then according to funds see how it goes.

I mean, games like FTL, Ghost Song and Auditorium 2 started with lower stretch goals (10k, 15k and 60k), regardless of the funds they received in the end

That depends on a case-by-case basis how far along the developer already is. For Ghost Song, the dude was an year or two into the game, and needed 15K just to finish it. FTL was also near completion before the kickstarter.

so1337

Just cancelled my Mighty No. 9 pledge because I'd never cancelled a one before and half-expected Kickstarter to hide the option behind some impenetrable process. Fortunately they do not, it just took 2 clicks.

I also felt that that game does not necessarily need my support anymore, so I backed Neverending Nightmare instead.

Cowie

Initially pledged after hearing about the game on Bombin' the AM, guy sounds pretty passionate. Not a huge horror fan, but the concept is super interesting -- I'm curious if it will end up playing a bit like an empathy game as well as a horror game.

Upping my pledge now -- I've actually never contributed to a kickstarter that had a close race to the finish like this just to make funding, it's a bit exciting.

I've just got the last $10 pledge. Not especially interested in the game to be totally honest, but saddened to hear that Retro/Grade was a commercial failure, because I thought it was frigging awesome! Although it was free on UK PS+, so this money can be my contribution for enjoying his previous game so much.

Just curious: why did you guys decide to back it? Personally, besides the concept and style, is for how personal it is to the designer. Those are real nightmares, it's meaningful to him and it will be intense.

Gaspode_T

Pledged earlier, Retro/Grade is an awesome game and hearing that the same guy is making the music pushed me to click, I usually don't like horror but this cartoon style might make it easier to play

petran79

Banned
Just curious: why did you guys decide to back it? Personally, besides the concept and style, is for how personal it is to the designer. Those are real nightmares, it's meaningful to him and it will be intense.

I dont think it was really necessary to tell viewers your personal experiences in order to promote the game. this sets a bad precedent.

He could tell his experiences in a separate interview, as most developers do.
just let yourself express through the game. that would suffice and we would understand some things.

Initially I thought of backing it because it reminded me of Weird Dreams. But after playing the demo, I wasnt impressed. Not unless I see more concepts and a game plan.

Apparently so. Just a few minutes ago it was at 95.

Interestingly, someone pitched in 10K (or maybe 2 pitched 5K, etc.) but the 10K, 5K and 2.5K tiers are still unclaimed.

nynt9

Glad to see this made it, I was really looking forward to it. I raised my pledge because it didn't look like it would make it, and I'm glad it did (I'll keep it there). This game has a lot of potential. Now we play the waiting game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Which one though? All the really high level ones are still unclaimed, or is kickstarter just slow to update the tiers?

Hopefully it's not someone who will later retract the pledge.

Odrion

Banned
I'm fairly sure that once a Kickstarter passes its funding goal, large pledges that take it back under the goal cannot be withdrawn.
Someone did this before with another Kickstarter, I think Giantbomb reported on it.

Anyways at this point Matt Gilgenbach could just kick enough cash in himself to secure the Kickstarter.

ArjanN

It's actually not funded yet, someone accidentally added too much and because it put the campaign over the top he can't lower his pledge until more people back it.

Anyways at this point Matt Gilgenbach could just kick enough cash in himself to secure the Kickstarter.

If he wants to commit fraud, yeah,

Those animations are, uh, something.

But now I want a horror game with the Scary Stories artstyle, dammit.

scarystories1029291236.jpeg

Nabs

Wow, that's a sucky mistake. I hope it doesn't hurt the project.

edit: Looks like it's being handled. There are some nice backers trying to help out.

Theecliff

Banned
Wahey, looks like it's fully pledged! Had this backed for a while now and hadn't checked the Kickstarter page in a few weeks - was worried at the time that it wasn't going to hit the target. Happy it's just hit it.

V_Ben

Banned
Wow, what a fantastic group of people, to help that guy out like that. Honest mistake to make, but cripes... what an unfortunate one.

maty

I keep reading the comments, holy shit :O, some guy made a bigger pledge so that the backer who made the mistake could decrease his own.
Now it's a race against time to allow the 2nd backer to get down to his original pledge

Nabs

Vincent Timbro 4 minutes ago
one of the nightmares in the game should be a $9500 charge on the guy's credit card.

Theecliff

Banned
Man, the group of pledgers in the comments are so nice. Seems like the game has it's own little community already! I know it's not a lot, but I've upped my pledge from $10 to $25.

maty

So is this over $95k legit now, as when I just checked it was only just over that total?

Yes, the game is now funded. Lots of people upped their pledges to help the guy who made a mistake correct his pledge. It´s been solved now.

Keeping up with this situation was quite exciting and tense xD

Amazing people.

Top Bottom