• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nevermind all this rev HD talk. What the fuck is Nintendo up to?

Odnetnin

Banned
I don't care if REV is HD compatible or the controller. Its important but not that important. Most important are the games.

I want to see what you guys think they're up to:

ON THE GAMES

I mean there's hardly any titles for GC at E3 and TP is one title - they have a lot of stuff coming from 2nd parties and a couple of DS titles. How big do you think the REV launch is going to be if they basically bunker down and... make REV games? don't know what the fuck they're doing but I cannot really think of any title they have coming in a couple of months of any significance. I'm aware of the soccer/basketball mario games but surely not all of Nintendo is doing that shit is it?

ON THE THIRD PARTY
what was that remark they said at E3? Something about not having spoken to many third parties about Revolution? Do you think they'll go it alone next gen with REV? And will they let companies like Capcom/SE (eg) have a share of the DL service for previous gen titles? It'd be a nicer earner for the companies too. Do nothing and get a cut. I mean there's no other channel for distribution. producing compiliation discs like MMCE has proven to be hit/miss.

Do you think that Nintendo is convinced that the retro titles have massive market appeal because of their successful GBA mario famicom sales?

black_13

Banned
I know N!N is going to alienate itself even more with their so called "revolutionary" idea.
And b/c they've decided not to reveal the console to any third party developers, that'll mean a similar launch situation to the DS.

So lets just hope this revolutionary idea is something real good and worth all the hassle.

cvxfreak

Clearly the several million sales of the Famicom Mini and Classic NES games influenced Nintendo's decision to go with this download service. Even the expensive prices didn't deter Japanese and American gamers from going with this. If games are dirt cheap, then Nintendo's got this part in the bag. But they need the revolutionary titles and the typical titles, too.

Dilbert

Well, I sure don't know what Nintendo is up to. Heck, I couldn't even make any sense of what the hell you just posted! So, I hopped on over to Babelfish to see if it could help. I translated your original post into Japanese (since Nintendo is Japanese) and then back to English...and lo and behold, I think I get it now!

Odnetnin said:
If as for me HD or the controller where REV is compatibility you do not worry. But the importance the that importance the importance which is not. Is the most important game. I the person looked at those which are thought to be, until with you think, it is: With the game I most titles for GC is E3, mean the fact that TP is one title - many raw materials is a 2nd party and times when it comes from the title of some DS. Do those the fuel warehouse lower the launching how large REV in the basis... makes the game of REV the fact that is done, think? Sexual intercourse has done, but those which really cannot think concerning all titles where I enter and possess 23 months of all magnitude do not have to be known. I become aware in the game of mario of soccer/basketball, as for everything which certainly, but is every has わ that being does not have Nintendo done? With the third party some they who are called the attention with E3? Concerning speaking to many third parties concerning revolution something? REV which does them with the next GEN single-handed effort you think? (For example) and those permit the company like Capcom/SE because it has share of DL service for the title of GEN before? It is the person where that for the company is good and makes. What, profit do the mouth ardently. I mean and as the fact that it is not the other channel for distributing when MMCE is hit/miss, proven, create the compiliation disk. You think that it is convinced that it is entreaty of the market which is large to the title of retro for the selling famicom of mario of skillful GBA Nintendo?
There's so many nuggets of truth here, I don't know where to start. Here's a couple of favorites, though:

"Sexual intercourse has done, but those which really cannot think concerning all titles where I enter and possess" So you're saying that the Revolution controller is actually a sex toy like a Fleshlight? Ahhhh...I can see why Nintendo is keeping it wrapped -- I mean, keeping it under wraps.

"What, profit do the mouth ardently." <NODS> Yes, shareholder value is critical to their success. Very true.

"You think that it is convinced that it is entreaty of the market which is large to the title of retro for the selling famicom of mario of skillful GBA Nintendo?" I can understand your desire to protect your sources...but it sounds like you're suggesting that the Revolution will actually be the GBA2!

"But the importance the that importance the importance which is not." That's fucking ZEN, man...just beautiful. Because, when you think about it -- what really IS important after all? Here we are, posting on the internet about games and non-games...when we could be outside, enjoying sunlight or non-sunlight, depending on the time zone. So true, so true.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
-jinx- said:
Well, I sure don't know what Nintendo is up to. Heck, I couldn't even make any sense of what the hell you just posted! So, I hopped on over to Babelfish to see if it could help. I translated your original post into Japanese (since Nintendo is Japanese) and then back to English...and lo and behold, I think I get it now!

There's so many nuggets of truth here, I don't know where to start. Here's a couple of favorites, though:

"Sexual intercourse has done, but those which really cannot think concerning all titles where I enter and possess" So you're saying that the Revolution controller is actually a sex toy like a Fleshlight? Ahhhh...I can see why Nintendo is keeping it wrapped -- I mean, keeping it under wraps.

"What, profit do the mouth ardently." <NODS> Yes, shareholder value is critical to their success. Very true.

"You think that it is convinced that it is entreaty of the market which is large to the title of retro for the selling famicom of mario of skillful GBA Nintendo?" I can understand your desire to protect your sources...but it sounds like you're suggesting that the Revolution will actually be the GBA2!

"But the importance the that importance the importance which is not." That's fucking ZEN, man...just beautiful. Because, when you think about it -- what really IS important after all? Here we are, posting on the internet about games and non-games...when we could be outside, enjoying sunlight or non-sunlight, depending on the time zone. So true, so true.
:lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Odnetnin said:
don't know what the fuck they're doing but I cannot really think of any title they have coming in a couple of months of any significance. I'm aware of the soccer/basketball mario games but surely not all of Nintendo is doing that shit is it?
Nintendo's product launch Schedule for the GCN:

08/15/05 - Geist
08/29/05 - Mario Baseball
09/19/05 - Battalion Wars
Oct 2005 - Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Oct 2005 - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Oct 2005 - Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
Nov 2005 - Mario Party 7
Holiday 2005 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
TBA - Super Mario Strikers
TBA - Odama
TBA - Kirby (title TBD)
TBA - Chibi-Robo
TBA - Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball

Odnetnin

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Nintendo's product launch Schedule for the GCN:

08/15/05 - Geist
08/29/05 - Mario Baseball
09/19/05 - Battalion Wars

Oct 2005 - Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Oct 2005 - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Oct 2005 - Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
Nov 2005 - Mario Party 7

]Holiday 2005 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
TBA - Super Mario Strikers
TBA - Odama

TBA - Kirby (title TBD)
TBA - Chibi-Robo
TBA - Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball

I could be wrong but my bolded titles are all 2nd/3rd parties. What are they doing?

with regards to FE, the game is also finished. They're just finishing the translation so they're really not doing much there. IMO

black_13 said:
And b/c they've decided not to reveal the console to any third party developers, that'll mean a similar launch situation to the DS.

heh, if you ask some people here, any japanese dev who is "worth anything" is on board. not my quote by the way.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
citrus lump said:
heh, if you ask some people here, any japanese dev who is "worth anything" is on board. not my quote by the way.
Artoon?!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Odnetnin said:
I could be wrong but my bolded titles are all 2nd/3rd parties. What are they doing?

with regards to FE, the game is also finished. They're just finishing the translation so they're really not doing much there. IMO
Did you just bold Twilight Princess as being developed by a 2nd or 3rd party? :lol

ON THE GAMES

Pulling this out of my ass here, here's my guess as to where Nintendo is going:

50% of their resources going to the DS. It appears GBA is over with for Nintendo.

20% of their resources going to the Game Cube. It seems they are finishing up and then moving onto the Revolution. I do expect Mario Kart GP to be on GC and maybe even Pennant to go to 2006. Chibi Robo and Kirby will probably come to the US in 2006.

30% of their resources going to the Revolution. Mario Revolution, SSB 3 Online, Metroid Revolution, and probably a couple other games are in development. Once they finish up shop with GC probably mid-late 2005 for most of their shit, they'll move straight to Revolution. I doubt Kid Icarus is on the way either. Then again, who really knows but this rumor has been going on every generation and Miyamoto's answer has always been the same 'We're talking but nothing substantial yet.'

GC won't have much anymore. Its like the N64 where they let second parties take the wheel. Which is fine since I compiled a list and there's about 20 more GC titles I got to nab. About 20 GBA titles too. Still, GC will be slim pickings for Nintendo's software unless they want to bring over Puzzle Collection.

ON THE THIRD PARTY

I think Nintendo PR means well but keeps putting their feet in their mouth. I don't think they intend to piss third parties off. By that statements, I think they mean that sweetheard deals like Q Fund (remember that?) and the Capcom 5 will be over. Gaming is costing too much for third parties just to avoid making a quick buck off of Revolution. For not talking to them, that doesn't mean they aren't now. If they're saying mid 2006 and that might be holiday 2006, many third parties aren't going to be making epic exclusive Revolution games at first (or maybe at all). I imagine they will be taking the wait and see approach and make some ports. That only takes a few months. If they're not talking to third parties by the end of this summer, that would be the time to worry.

Do you think that Nintendo is convinced that the retro titles have massive market appeal because of their successful GBA mario famicom sales?

Nostalgia is big business for Nintendo. GBA sales show that. It would be foolish for them not to use that for the Revolution. I don't expect the downloadable roms to be a huge seller but its a good enough thing to keep Nintendo in the running and have their new console mentioned. They should bump up the flash to at least 1 GB. I mean, Nintendo is talking about games so this was a good thing for them. Sony and Microsoft are talking about multimedia functions and it appears Nintendo will be keeping it a games-only machine again this round. Which is fine since DVD players are dirt cheap and contrary to GAF, HDTV won't hit big for a loooong while, at least another generation. So this was a good move by the big N.

ziran

looking at the games to be published by nintendo, those developed internally are in bold.

GC Games
-Geist [N-SPACE]
-Mario Baseball [NAMCO]
-Battalion Wars [KUJU]
-Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness [GENIUS SONORITY]
-Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance [INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS - localisation]

-Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix [KONAMI]
-Mario Party 7 [HUDSON]
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [EAD KYOTO]
-Super Mario Strikers [NEXT LEVEL GAMES]
-Odama [VIVARIUM]
-Kirby [HAL LABS]
-Chibi-Robo [SKIP LTD]
-Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball [EXILE INTERACTIVE]

DS Games
-Advance Wars: Dual Strike [INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS]
-Animal Crossing to Go! [EAD KYOTO]

-Eye Shield 21 [UNKNOWN]
-Fushugino Dungeon Pokémon World: Pikachu's Adventure [CHUNSOFT]
-Hey You! Pikachu 2 [AMBRELLA]
-Jam with the Band [EAD KYOTO - localisation]

-Jump Super Stars [GANBARION]
-Mario & Luigi 2 [ALPHADREAM]
-Mario Kart DS [EAD KYOTO]
-Metroid Dread [PROBABLY NTD]
-Metroid Prime: Hunters [NSTC]

-Metroid Prime: Pinball [FUSE]
-Nintendo Tetris [UNKNOWN]
-Ouendan [UNKNOWN MAYBE NINTENDO]
-Pokémon Diamond/Pearl [GAME FREAK & CREATURES]
-Super Mario Bros DS [EAD KYOTO]

-Super Princess Peach [UNKNOWN MAYBE NINTENDO, POSSIBLY TOSE?]
-The Legend of Zelda DS [EAD KYOTO]
-Touch Golf [T&E Soft]
-Trace Memory [CING - localisation]
-DS Rakuhiki Jiten [NINTENDO - team unknown]
-Nintendogs [EAD KYOTO]
-Yawaraka Atama Juku [NINTENDO - team unknown]

GBA Games
-Screwbreaker [GAME FREAK]
-Yoshi: Topsy-Turvy [ARTOON]
-Donkey Kong Country 3 [RARE]
-Donkey Kong: King of Swing [PAON]
-Mario Advance Tennis [CAMELOT SOFTWARE PLANNING]
-Custom Robo Advance [NOISE]
-Mother 3 [HAL LABS]
-F-Zero Climax [NdCUBE?]

-Nonono Puzzle: Che-Cha Alien! [CREATURES]
-The Tower SP [VIVARIUM]

if we take a look at nintendo's expanded internal development teams and tally things up:

Nintendo Entertainment Analysis & Development
- Entertainment Analysis & Development [Kyoto]
R&D2 has been absorbed by this team.
Currently working on:
GC Zelda Twilght Princess
DS Nintendogs
DS Mario Kart
DS Animal Crossing to Go!
DS Super Mario Bros NEW
DS Zelda
REV Animal Crossing 2
REV Mario
REV Zelda
REV new Miyamoto franchise

- Entertainment Analysis & Development [Tokyo]
Currently working on:
UNKNOWN

Nintendo Integrated Research & Development
Currently working on
(hardware): REVOLUTION, GBnext
(software): UNKNOWN

Nintendo Technology & Development
R&D1 has been absorbed by this team.
Currently working on:
DS Metroid Dread (probably)

Nintendo Software Planning Division
this team supervises partnerships with 3rd parties.

Intelligent Systems
Currently working on:
GC Fire Emblem - localisation
DS Advance Wars

HAL labs
Currently working on:
GC Kirby
REV Smash Bros
GBA Mother 3

Brownie Brown
Currently working on:
DS Magical Vacation 2
REV Gofuku (maybe GC)

Game Freak
Currently working on:
DS Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
GBA Screwbreaker

Creatures
Currently working on:
DS Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
GBA Nonono Puzzle: Che-Cha Alien!

Retro Studios
Currently working on:
REV Metroid Prime 3

Nintendo Software Technology Corporation
Currently working on:
DS Metroid Prime Hunters

Genius Sonority
Currently working on:
GC Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Noise
Currently working on:
GBA Custom Robo (localisation)

Ambrella
Currently working on:
DS Hey You! Pikachu 2

nintendo knows 3rd party games for revolution will be difficult, but from iwata's comments i think there'll be more exclusives, than on gc, but less overall [3rd party] support.

every internal team is now capable of handling multiple projects, so, i think nintendo has been working hard on unannounced revolution games, and i'd guess the following [i'm listing EAD Kyoto because they are a huge 500+ team]:

EAD Kyoto
EAD Tokyo
Nintendo Integrated Research & Development
Nintendo Technology & Development
Intelligent Systems
HAL labs
Retro Studios
Nintendo Software Technology Corporation
Noise

i'd estimate the development resources split is roughly 45% revolution, 35% ds, 15% gc, 5% gba.

They have to be up to something. Outside of Zelda, nothing is really being released for the Gamecube. On the other hand, Nintendo is working on a lot of DS software. On many ocasions Reggie has said that Nintendo is planning on having a bunch of great Revolution launch titles. We already know about Mario 128, SSBM3, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Metroid Prime 3. Camelot is also working on a game. This leads me to believe that Nintendo is ignoring the GC in order to ready a massive amount of Revolution games for the console's first year.

I can't help but worry about Nintendo's 3rd party support though. Famitsu had a poll last week in which no Japanese developers said they were working on Revolution software. To make matters worse, it doesn't look like many American publishers are looking into the console right now. This could all change later this year when the Revolution is finally revealed though.

ziran

Phoenix Dark said:
I can't help but worry about Nintendo's 3rd party support though. Famitsu had a poll last week in which no Japanese developers said they were working on Revolution software. To make matters worse, it doesn't look like many American publishers are looking into the console right now. This could all change later this year when the Revolution is finally revealed though.
i agree, but i think revolution has a good chance of seeing a decent number of quality 3rd party exclusives/collaborations like:

Square-Enix - FFCC, maybe a Hyrule RPG
Namco - Mario Kart arcade, Soul Calibur type fighter with characters from zelda, fire emblem, metroid + other nintendo characters
Sega - mario and sonic, maybe a racer based on stunt race
Capcom - mikami game, maybe kid icarus
more anime games

but you're right western support is going be a problem.

And this controller is still bothering me as well. Nintendo is saying that gamers won't be able to play Revolution games on any other console due to the unique controller. How will this effect ports?

Phoenix Dark said:
And this controller is still bothering me as well. Nintendo is saying that gamers won't be able to play Revolution games on any other console due to the unique controller. How will this effect ports?

The unique controller may be referring to a new feature. I really doubt that Nintendo is going to make the controller that different because the downloadables already appears to be a big feature for Nintendo. I don't know if its a gyro or a fully implemented VMU. Maybe you can use the DS as a controller.

Mario Kart arcade

I hope its coming to GC instead.

snaildog

I used to care about Nintendo's stupid decisions for reasons I can't fathom now, but to be honest it's cool having one company that's crazy and different. We have Sony and Microsoft marketing well to casuals, gotta have one still controlled by the wacky Japanese businessmen.

Top Bottom