• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 8bitdo Ultimate controller for Nintendo Switch

00_Zer0

OK, you got me. I just pre-ordered white Bluetooth version. You can never have enough controllers, right?
Amazon says my controller is coming late. I pre-ordered mine awhile back and the original delivery date was either yesterday or today, but now it says it will be delivered between Nov. 4th and 6th. I bought the Black $70 version with bluetooth and 2.4 ghz USB connection with the Switch button layout. 2.4 ghz wireless has way less lag on PC than the 2.4 ghz wireless usb. Can't wait to use it.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Amazon says my controller is coming late. I pre-ordered mine awhile back and the original delivery date was either yesterday or today, but now it says it will be delivered between Nov. 4th and 6th. I bought the Black $70 version with bluetooth and 2.4 ghz USB connection with the Switch button layout. 2.4 ghz wireless has way less lag on PC than the 2.4 ghz wireless usb. Can't wait to use it.

I'm in the EU and the release date is 18th of November. Good that you mentioned the button layout. I doubled checked and I got the Nintendo layout. I want Xbox layout. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: Shit, I don't think it's possible. I guess I'm stuck with Nintendo layout if I want these hall joysticks.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Don't want to open a new thread to ask but are there similar quality third party joy cons? I hate the small size of the original and I'd like a pair with gyro and rumble to play docked (mainly Zelda SS and Mario Galaxy). The "good" options I see are mainly for Portable play and lack these features

00_Zer0

I'm in the EU and the release date is 18th of November. Good that you mentioned the button layout. I doubled checked and I got the Nintendo layout. I want Xbox layout. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: Shit, I don't think it's possible. I guess I'm stuck with Nintendo layout if I want these hall joysticks.
Yeah, I forgot the cheaper $49.95 version is missing Hall effect sticks. The XBox and Switch layout never confuse me unless I have been playing Switch for a long time over the PC. It's easy enough to adapt to it.

Edit-my order just updated to delivery for tomorrow. I returned my King Kong Pro 2 controller to Amazon as I just recieved it when this Ultimate was announced. I love all the extras the 8bitdo controller offer over their controller, plus I have had great luck with all their controllers in the past.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
True. Can’t wait to try it out. It looks so, so comfortable.

Really does. Only thing weird about it is that you have to shake the controller to turn on the Switch rather than Switch automatically coming on when you turn on the controller. No idea why.

I’d recommend trying one out. 8bitdo quality is top class.
i have some 8bitdo controllers for old consoles, and i agree the quality is good.

just commenting on this thing's looks... maybe it's the lighting, but it looks like a generic blob to me.
gZgY43h.png

Got the wired version delivered to me yesterday. I like it so far. Let's see if it stands the test of time. Wired version also has rumble for anyone wondering. One complaint though is the wire is pretty damn short, like under 6ft.

Topher

Gold Member
I tried the 8bitdo Pro 2 with my Switch and I really didn't care for it. I went out on a limb and tried the Chinese Switch controller knock-off picture below. It isn't that bad really. Has back buttons that are programmable, but not as sophisticated as 8bitdo's program. Only thing I don't like is that you cannot set buttons to no action. I want to be able to map L3 R3 to the back buttons but I don't want L3 or R3 to still function and this won't do that. So I preorder the 8bitdo Ultimate and I'll see if I like it better. I will probably keep this knock-off either way since it is only $25.

71fQOXATOML._SL1500_.jpg

MP!

Has anyone managed to wake their switch using this?
I can't seem to wake it up

Last edited:
Mines coming Friday. I love the pro 2 but impulse purchased this controller. If the quality is like the pro 2 then I’ll be more than happy.

Topher

Gold Member
Quality is seriously amazing. I'd say it's better than first party controllers. It's just a joy to use.

I'm having a hard time disagreeing with you. This may be my favorite controller overall and that includes the Elite Series 2. It just has so much packed into this controller. 2.4ghz adapter, bluetooth, charging stand and back buttons. Has awesome mapping software. I can easily use it for both PC and Switch. Build quality is fantastic. No worries about drift.

Damn thing is amazing.

I'm having a hard time disagreeing with you. This may be my favorite controller overall and that includes the Elite Series 2. It just has so much packed into this controller. 2.4ghz adapter, bluetooth, charging stand and back buttons. Has awesome mapping software. I can easily use it for both PC and Switch. Build quality is fantastic. No worries about drift.

Damn thing is amazing.

It feels like sex in the hands. Legit fantastic controller.

daveonezero

Banned
Cool to know this is good for pc switch. I’ll be eyeing it. I do like the HD rumble of the Switch though. It’s nice and subtle.

I thought my Pro controller was drifting while playing Hades. It was getting frustrating. I can’t seem to replicate it or see it happening in other games but I almost bought that Gulikit because of it. Then this came out and has the same sticks.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah, turn on the controller and then shake it. Shaking the controller wakes up the Switch. I'm not kidding.
That’s very interesting, shame they can’t just get it working by turning the pad on, but better than having to turn the switch on via the tablet.

drotahorror

I almost got this but talked myself out of it. I don’t have a lot of controllers but a 2.4gz wireless controller for my pc would be nice. I mainly just use my dual sense on it. Also have 2 sn30 pro and the pro+ I think it’s called. And a switch pro controller and an Xbox series controller.

Do I need this one too???? Yes.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If I wasn't so happy with the pro controller I'd get this. I am surprised it's only $70 USD - most other companies would have bled the enthusiasts for at $10 more bucks for something that looks this well designed with a large battery.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Finally picked this up in white from Amazon for £40.

Never used a pad on PC before.

I’ve set up the software to remap buttons etc. I’ve set a profile where the back paddles are LB and RB but nothing is happening in game when I press the paddles.

I know I’m missing something obvious, anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Skifi28

Is this the one with the hall effect sticks? They should do it for all their controllers, or at least make it obvious which is which.

Topher

Gold Member
Finally picked this up in white from Amazon for £40.

Never used a pad on PC before.

I’ve set up the software to remap buttons etc. I’ve set a profile where the back paddles are LB and RB but nothing is happening in game when I press the paddles.

I know I’m missing something obvious, anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Did you sync with the controller?

Topher

Gold Member
How sorry?

Every other button is working fine and registering.

When you change a mapping, the Sync to device button should enable. Click that and then your mappings should be saved to the controller profile.

8Xqy2un.png

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
When you change a mapping, the Sync to device button should enable. Click that and then your mappings should be saved to the controller profile. Make sure that your profile selected on the controller is the same as in the software.

8Xqy2un.png
Thanks mate, I’ll double check tonight but I thought I did hit this prior to exiting the tool.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
LTTP thread bump but I just picked one of these up from the Prime Day deals and god damn, what a controller.

I went from a primary Xbox player to a primary PC player a few months ago, and I've been using my Series controller on my PC up until getting this, and I'm super impressed.

Feels great, the charging dock is really nice, build quality is really good, and the 2.4g adapter works great on my PC. Plus the Hall Effect sticks make me confident this will last.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
LTTP thread bump but I just picked one of these up from the Prime Day deals and god damn, what a controller.

I went from a primary Xbox player to a primary PC player a few months ago, and I've been using my Series controller on my PC up until getting this, and I'm super impressed.

Feels great, the charging dock is really nice, build quality is really good, and the 2.4g adapter works great on my PC. Plus the Hall Effect sticks make me confident this will last.

It's the best feeling controller ever made, congrats on the purchase!

Topher

Gold Member

My favorite controller, bar none. Simply the best and I'm including the "Pro" controllers out there while this gem only costs $70. Crazy value.

keefged4

Just to mirror what others are saying, This is also my favorite controller. I have two of them and have had them since around launch time, and they are still solid. Nothing comes close to them imo.

Top Bottom