• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 8bitdo Ultimate controller for Nintendo Switch

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Love 8bit-do but this is unnecessary as the official pro controller is near perfect.
Even more than that if you can’t turn the switch on with this controller then it’s even more unnecessary.
Claw grip lover detected.

Love 8bit-do but this is unnecessary as the official pro controller is near perfect.
Even more than that if you can’t turn the switch on with this controller then it’s even more unnecessary.
Back buttons or bust. Bigger games are getting too big and control schemes can't keep up. Sprinting with back buttons in any game is infinitely better than clicking sticks in constantly, and in Souls games, it enhances the experience by allowing you to MOVE THE CAMERA AND DODGE WHILE SPRINTING instead of using the awful Claw. I can't believe that's still a thing in Elden Ring.

BlackTron

This appears very close to being the perfect controller, mostly because the official Switch Pro's d-pad sucks.

But this doesn't seem to have motion control? If it doesn't have it, then meh. I'm looking for one controller that finally ticks all the boxes. If it's lacking a feature like that, it's just another one to cycle out depending on the job. Still looks very good though.

kubricks

Er.... no?
Everything on the 8bit-do controller felt better than the pro. The dpad alone is worth the cost.

teezzy

Banned
This appears very close to being the perfect controller, mostly because the official Switch Pro's d-pad sucks.

But this doesn't seem to have motion control? If it doesn't have it, then meh. I'm looking for one controller that finally ticks all the boxes. If it's lacking a feature like that, it's just another one to cycle out depending on the job. Still looks very good though.

The 8Bitdo Pro 2 has gyro. Its my daily driver for Switch use

I don't see why this one wouldn't offer the same

jigglet

Banned
Would only consider if it offers game-based profiles for the remapping. That's the one place I've always wanted Nintendo to improve on. Having system-wide profiles makes zero sense.

Dr.brain64

ultimate-bluetooth-black.png

ultimate-bluetooth-white.png

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the d-pad and the back buttons... Though the Switch HD rumble is basically the only rumble I like so far... This one seems more comfortable to hold btw, more in line with Xbox Series controller, the handlers in the original Pro Controller are too weird and unnatural to me and I have small hands so that's not the problem. Maybe if this one had a jack port like Xbox Series controller that would make it the definite Switch Pro Controller

Eh? I don’t see why I would need this when I have the 8BitDo Pro2 which is the single most comfortable designed controller ever made. That thing is like sex in the hands.

This just looks like it is trying to copy the Switch pro, which while that is the second nicest controller ever made, was already beaten by 8BitDo’ s previous offering.

Ev1L AuRoN

It looks a lot like the Xbox One gamepad I already own, so it's not enough to entice me. But I just googled the Pro2 that Trazyn the Infinite Trazyn the Infinite commented on and I'm definitely intrigued by it.

I love playing retro games and indie titles, so a gamepad that has a decent, well-placed D-pad is a must for me.

Bakkus

Looks alright. Shame there's no way to test it before buying. Also, Nintendo ultimately got rid of those 4 inlay triangles on their d-pad because they start to hurt your thumb after continuous play, yet here are 8bitdo bringing them back for nostalgia's sake...ugh.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The last one I tried, the officially licensed Xbox one, would have been great on PC had the back paddles been not completely tied to standard, non-turbo input bindings. Until their software or fan/free software supports control over mappings that I expect on PC, these controllers are a case of "So close, yet so far".

Soodanim

Gold Member
Amazon is the only place that shows it, but the Bluetooth version of this has Hall Effect Sensor sticks, which means they should never get drift. If PC gets improved remap support like I said above, I'll get one of these.

JimboJones

Looks great, I have one of the original 8bitdo Switch controllers and it's great but I'd have preferred this stick orientation.

BlackTron

Looks great, I have one of the original 8bitdo Switch controllers and it's great but I'd have preferred this stick orientation.

This one has the stick orientation. The older Pro 2 has gyro. The gaming world continues to tap dance around the perfect controller.

It's so messed up that the fatal flaw in the official one is the d-pad, we're talking about Nintendo the grandaddy of d-pads here. Even when they had a system where the d-pad was almost NEVER used, it was really good (64). I really liked the Wii U Pro controller, but it had no gyro and would have preferred the sticks and buttons on the right side switched around.

I thought the Switch would solve all this but then its d-pad sucked, I give up guys I'll just swap from a big pile of controllers for the rest of my life lol.

This one has the stick orientation. The older Pro 2 has gyro. The gaming world continues to tap dance around the perfect controller.

It's so messed up that the fatal flaw in the official one is the d-pad, we're talking about Nintendo the grandaddy of d-pads here. Even when they had a system where the d-pad was almost NEVER used, it was really good (64). I really liked the Wii U Pro controller, but it had no gyro and would have preferred the sticks and buttons on the right side switched around.

I thought the Switch would solve all this but then its d-pad sucked, I give up guys I'll just swap from a big pile of controllers for the rest of my life lol.
Nerfing the d-pad on the pro controller ensures people will at least consider the official retro controllers they sell.

JimboJones

Oh :messenger_neutral:, I just assumed it would have gyro, that is a bummer.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nerfing the d-pad on the pro controller ensures people will at least consider the official retro controllers they sell.

I hope that worked out for them. In my case, I would have bought four $70 official pro controllers, instead I bought one. The best d-pad I have for the system is on a wired PowerA controller that I got damaged box for $15, which I shouldn't even have had my eyes peeled for in the first place. I assume they prefer sales of their own highly priced controller better than all the cheaper third party licensed stuff.

When the quality is there I don't even really care what the price is, I will get the money together especially for an official product. They would have made a lot more money on me in accessories without this cheap tactic.

Paulistano

The first revision of switch pro controller is really bad, but the latest revision have a really good dpad.

BlackTron

In not "motion control" gyro?

OK good call. I didn't look carefully enough, the two pages list motion control under a different column.

So this controller DOES have motion control so without any glaring omissions seems like a good alternative to the official one.

BlackTron

The first revision of switch pro controller is really bad, but the latest revision have a really good dpad.

I didn't know there was any change that upgraded it from bad to really good.

How recent is this latest revision? Has it been this way for a long time, or is it still recent enough that an off the shelf controller might be old style?

CS Lurker

Thank god I didn't buy the controller (for xbox/PC) they released before this one.

I need a new controller for PC and Switch, and this one seems perfect. Switch's pro controller has one of the worst d-pad I've ever seen.

This one from 8bitdo has everything I need: analog sticks in the right place; good battery life; hall effect (hoping it really works as advertised); gyro; back buttons; will work with game pass games.

Last edited:
It's far from perfect. The d-pad is shit and the sticks are prone to drifting issues. Since both my joycons also have drift I have "switched" to a cheap ass 3rd party wired controller that has no rumble but at least the very basic things work as they should. Superior d-pad too.

Edit: Looks good but I wish there was a cheaper option to buy without the dock. I seriously dont need any extra proprietary that doesnt work with anything else.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I just recently purchased the King Kong Pro controller 2 for Switch and PC. It has Hall effect sticks and a decent dpad. When I heard about 8bitdo releasing this I went on Amazon put a return on my King King Pro Controller 2 and preordered this one instead. For those saying that the Switch Pro controller has no issues you are wrong. 1st of all the dpad is horrendous for games like Pac-Man and Tetris you don't have precision control. Then you have the inherent issues of stick drift in all of today's modern controllers. Hall effect sticks solve this issue. With the extra features over KKP 2 I decided to go with this one instead.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I just recently purchased the King Kong Pro controller 2 for Switch and PC. It has Hall effect sticks and a decent dpad. When I heard about 8bitdo rehearsing this I went on Amazon put a return on my King King Pro Controller 2 and preordered this one instead. For those saying that the Switch Pro controller has no issues you are wrong. 1st of all the dpad is horrendous for games like Pac-Man and Tetris you don't have precision control. Then you have the inherent issues of stick drift in all of today's modern controllers. Hall effect sticks solve this issue. With the extra features over KKP 2 I decided to go with this one instead.
I’m waiting for confirmation that this one will be able to wake the Switch from sleep before I decide to switch from the Guli one

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I prefer having the dpad on the left side as opposed to the asymmetric sticks, but for those who want that, I'm sure this'll be great. The 8bitdo Pro 2 is my overall favorite controller ever - I bought one in every color. Fantastic d-pad, the sticks feel just right, the buttons are satisfying to press, and the build quality is great. Honestly, it's worlds better than the current crop of 1st party controllers (and I include the Elite in that).

00_Zer0

I’m waiting for confirmation that this one will be able to wake the Switch from sleep before I decide to switch from the Guli one
The wake from sleep feature is not a deal breaker for me since I will use this for PC as well. With a great d-pad, the hall effect sticks, 2.4 USB connectivity, the versatility of the extra paddles on the back, and a software program to tweak things like the dead zone on the sticks, this purchase is a no brainer for me.

This is the first time I've heard about this hall effect tech. If it works as advertised, that's what I'll be looking for with every controller going forward. Not sure what changed but I still have controllers for PS2, Gamecube, OG Xbox and 360 that have never had drifting issues.

bender

What time is it?
This is the first time I've heard about this hall effect tech. If it works as advertised, that's what I'll be looking for with every controller going forward. Not sure what changed but I still have controllers for PS2, Gamecube, OG Xbox and 360 that have never had drifting issues.

I had terrible luck with X360 controllers and stick drift, some within the first few weeks of usage. I'm not sure I've experienced this on any other controller.

drotahorror

Nvm.

Yep I'd say this is the ultimate controller. I have an 8bit Pro+ and a Pro 2 and they're both great. This'll definitely be my main PC controller due to the 2.4ghz connectivity.

Last edited:

Paulistano

I didn't know there was any change that upgraded it from bad to really good.

How recent is this latest revision? Has it been this way for a long time, or is it still recent enough that an off the shelf controller might be old style?

I may be wrong but maybe 2019 or 2020.

I don't really know the revision of mine since in my country it doesn't show in the box, in the american it does just look for the serial that close to the bar code behind the box and it's the last letter the newer is E or F I think.

A friend of mine have the first revision and the dpad is atrocious but this one from the newer revision has a nice dpad, I use it on my pc.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I would like a pro version of the joy cons to be honest for great handheld play AND gyro. The all in one option.

Nothing like that exists.

Top Bottom