• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Aonuma interview in French on Zelda development, Monolith, voice acting, Ueda/TLG

Aldric

He should have passed on the 2D Zelda duties, so he could maintain another franchise along the 3D Zelda duties.That's how they did it with Mario.

Hasn't he strongly implied he was already working on a new IP in another interview? l seem to remember him saying he wasn't allowed to say much but he wanted to make a game where you could live as a thief.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My expectations for this game are so high that I'm almost assuredly setting myself up for disappointment despite the fact I've never played a mainline console Zelda I didn't really like.

Instro

Hasn't he strongly implied he was already working on a new IP in another interview? l seem to remember him saying he wasn't allowed to say much but he wanted to make a game where you could live as a thief.

Yes, but I think he also said be hasn't been able to do much on it.

Who knows maybe he will get that chance with BotW done.

What does this mean? It's obvious they took a ton of inspiration from other games for BOTW. (However as someone else pointed out, Zelda already had a glider!)
Zelda already had plenty of that stuff.. their main inspiration for this game and what those other games borrowed from is the original The Legend of Zelda

OryoN

Basically, when you have one physics engine, that applies to everything in the game’s world, making one minor modification in one place could have a rather unpredictable impact on another area.

Eiji Aonuma shares an amusing anecdote to illustrate that point. At one point, one of the developers working on dungeons wanted to create a puzzle where players have to move pots with wind, so they went in the physics engine settings to make it so wind could make pots fly.

But then, while playtesting the game, Eiji Aonuma went to a place where there was supposed to be pots… only to find there wasn’t any. They had all been blown away by the wind, and were stuck at the foot of a mountain in the distance..

Haha, while quite amusing, this resulted in critical meetings/playtests to enure each team was fully aware of how their decisions potentiality impacts the others. It is stated that this meticulous manner of fine-tuning - not the actual creation - of the physics engine was the reason why Aonuma requested that the game be delayed.

Loving these juicy development details...

brad-t

Zelda already had plenty of that stuff.. their main inspiration for this game and what those other games borrowed from is the original The Legend of Zelda

Sure, but it's indisputable that they looked to other open world games for how to actually implement some of these concepts in a modern open world game.

Xun

I really do hope it does come to fruition.

The way it was worded almost implied he's already working on it, but who knows?

It would be refreshing to see him tackle a new IP.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If Anouma believes that letting a player feel lost is bad, he would probably hate Dark Souls 1. I love the game, but so much of it is obtuse as fuck.

Hermii

There will be a thief section in lbtw confirmed.

Onikaan

In this interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7vqDy6mqE

They say that you can beat the game in 15 minutes

It really is Morrowind!

Alright so, you can go straight to Ganon but he will impale you. Link has to become stronger to fight him. So you could technically try him after only say, half the shrines and a portion of the story. Dungeons aren't mandatory, and from what we've heard it sounds like they're story related.

Also Aonuma seems to be very confident we won't 100% this game...

Has he never met a Zelda fan? :)

Crayolan

Aonuma doesn't say anything about being able to beat the game "in 15 minutes", but he does restate his claim that you can go straight to the final boss, though you'll probably get destroyed if you try that.early on.

wow he just confirmed no dungeons, fuck this industry

You're gonna give people heart attacks.

I didn't see where he said "15 minutes" just that you can go directly to the final boss early on.
I'd imagine you'll need the sail cloth first and beating the boss itself should take a long ass time if you're underleveled.
Still, a really cool concept. Would love to see speed run videos tackling it.

I didn't see where he said "15 minutes" just that you can go directly to the final boss early on.
I'd imagine you'll need the sail cloth first and beating the boss itself should take a long ass time if you're underleveled.
Still, a really cool concept. Would love to see speed run videos tackling it.

It's a very Classic Role playing element that justifies the existence of the open world basically. It's something that simply can't work in a linear game.

The Onus for beating Ganon is on you. There is no predefined Sequence that you are forced to undergo to beat the game essentially. Which means in the back of every player's head while playing is "Am I strong enough?" and that's a question that every player should be asking if the developers are trying to sell Ganon as this unfathomable monstrosity.

It's a very Classic Role playing element that justifies the existence of the open world basically. It's something that simply can't work in a linear game.

The Onus for beating Ganon is on you. There is no predefined Sequence that you are forced to undergo to beat the game essentially. Which means in the back of every player's head while playing is "Am I strong enough?" and that's a question that every player should be asking if the developers are trying to sell Ganon as this unfathomable monstrosity.
A big issues people had with Skyward Sword was the linearity and bloat. Pretty neat that they managed to fix most people's issues with the previous games in such an ambitious way

Lynd7

Yeah this sounds really cool, Gannon must be really strong/hard. It would be cool to try early on and get completely stomped.

People could actually be nervous going into fight him again later, or wary of even trying again for a long while.

Speely

Banned
Yeah this sounds really cool, Gannon must be really strong/hard. It would be cool to try early on and get completely stomped.

People could actually be nervous going into fight him again later, or wary of even trying again for a long while.

He better be strong. But I seriously doubt it's remotely possible to even get near him without gaining enough hearts and rune power-ups unless one is perfect. It's awesome that one can try, though.

I can see "Open Your Eyes" runs becoming a thing about 6 months in after players have gotten really good at mastering the mechanics and enemy knowledge.

Top Bottom