• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Aonuma interview in French on Zelda development, Monolith, voice acting, Ueda/TLG

Moose84

One thing I realised about this game is we haven't really seen any of the items from a typical Zelda game, hookshot, boomerang or more game specific items like the ball and chain, whip etc. Do we think these will still be in the game? I really hope so but the fact we haven't seen an inventory screen for these sorts of items worries me a little. All we've seen are weapon types.

KrawlMan

I bet this is one of the irritating things about being in game development. They are so over-worked, especially people in leadership positions. It's gotta be impossible to make time for games that have a learning curve.

This may be true, but not having played Dark Souls is not an indicator of that. It's not a mandatory experience really. I'm sure he has time to game, just selectively, like any other working adult

Charamiwa

Banned
This may be true, but not having played Dark Souls is not an indicator of that. It's not a mandatory experience really. I'm sure he has time to game, just selectively, like any other working adult

He said in another interview that he had only time to play two games this year, Blood & Wine and The Last Guardian.

Reading about how they basically want this to be the 3D counterpart to the 2D original makes me feel extremely hopeful.

I know many people don't like to talk about it and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter; but I hope this takes place after Zelda II in the timeline.

TannerDemoz

The 'new ideas and not wanting to put them into Zelda' is really cool.

I've always considered it really interesting how, during a game's development, inspiration leading to new ideas could potentially lead to the creation of all-new ip

AntMurda

It's nice to see they're utilizing Monolith's talents to its fullest.

It's funny how some Nintendo fans are still downplaying their involvement after Aonuma literally said they're involved with more than just asset design this time. Level design isn't a trivial part of a game, especially an open world game.

Nintendo credited Grezzo as co-developer on TriForce Heroes because it was a 50/50 collaboration. Monolith is still an assistant here, alongside a few other Japanese companies who assist on specific things.There is now downplaying. You'll see them in the special thanks section at the end of the game with Digital Media Labs, Imagicascape, SRD, etc. There's a lot of companies who help make big games, this is also a case of the interviewers constantly asking "OMG Monolith sort of helped on a few Zeldas recently, what are they doing now?". Hence they keep being brought up in these interviews as opposed to the other helpers who work on every Zelda game.

From what I've read as far as key individuals who have given interviews for this game, it seems to me like Aonuma is the brains behind this game. At that first ND where no footage was shown, Zelda U was just mentioned, Aonuma was the one who broke the news. When BOTW was first shown, Aonuma was the one who debuted the game. Aonuma seems to be giving more interviews for this game than Miyamoto and Fujibayashi (the director of the game). Maybe I'm just missing all the press Miyamoto and Fujibayashi may be involved in. To me, I just get the impression that Aonuma is the driving force behind this game. Is that an accurate assessment of the situation? Does anyone else feel similar?

You have it backwards there. Fujibayashi is the game director. The lead designer. He doesn't have time to being doing international press.The game director is sort of bound to the actual development of the game, while the producer who oversees the development, has a bit more freedom and responsibility to handle press and promotion of the game. Fujibayashi did a smaller Game Center CX media spot interview in Japan for the game. But as far as international press, and traveling the world, that's up to Aonuma as the producer and team manager.

13ruce

Banned
It also seems that the Wind Waker timeline is deconfirmed. The Korok's are there according to Aonuma because they fit with the art style.

I bet it will be the fallen hero timeline then, we do not have a full console 3D game in that one yet.

Sec i will find a source i saw this on the switch or zelda reddit a few hours ago.

Interview with Aonuma - De-confirms WW timeline, talk about DLC, development time, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/5qcmo4/interview_with_aonuma_deconfirms_ww_timeline_talk/

Cerium

It also seems that the Wind Waker timeline is deconfirmed. The Korok's are there according to Aonuma because they fit with the art style.

I bet it will be the fallen hero timeline then, we do not have a full console 3D game in that one yet.

Sec i will find a source i saw this on the switch or zelda reddit a few hours ago.

It's 110% a Zelda II sequel.

I absolutely loved that section about play testing. I hope they release some footage or images of that PC program showing all of the playtesters' paths throughout the world, that sounds absolutely fascinating. It's very, very encouraging that they are doing their best to tweak things in the world to make them more attractive for exploration. The fact that all of this is done without map/quest markers is very good.

The idea of making a world and then placing elements in it sounds so bad. Like they're just making an arbitrary easter egg hunt in a space that wasn't designed specifically to accommodate the features of the word that should be naturally interacted with. This really feels like how most open world games are and it feels terrible to play. (Obviously I'm just saying this based on a dev quip and I don't actually know shit about the dev process)

Er... isn't that how a real world is made though? You have your terrain, and then you make your buildings, which become ruins over time. It seems to be a more organic method of building a world then coming up with pre-made buildings or cities and creating the landscape around them, right?

It's 110% a Zelda II sequel.

Make that 120%.

You have it backwards there. Fujibayashi is the game director. The lead designer. He doesn't have time to being doing international press.The game director is sort of bound to the actual development of the game, while the producer who oversees the development, has a bit more freedom and responsibility to handle press and promotion of the game. Fujibayashi did a smaller Game Center CX media spot interview in Japan for the game. But as far as international press, and traveling the world, that's up to Aonuma as the producer and team manager.

I see. This makes sense. Thanks for the clarification

LordOfChaos

Dark Souls

When asked whether he has played a Dark Souls game, Eiji Aonuma answers that he has not, though he’s obviously familiar with the series. He believes that one of the interesting aspects of the Legend of Zelda series is the challenge that becomes tougher as you progress through the game. The goal of each game is to have Link gain new abilities as the player gets better.

He does think that, if you made a Zelda game with extremely tough battles, then you could probably end up with a Dark Souls game.

It would be really interesting to have him play something like Bloodborne and see what he thinks of it.

One thing I realised about this game is we haven't really seen any of the items from a typical Zelda game, hookshot, boomerang or more game specific items like the ball and chain, whip etc. Do we think these will still be in the game? I really hope so but the fact we haven't seen an inventory screen for these sorts of items worries me a little. All we've seen are weapon types.

Yeah, I'm a little worried we won't have the hook/claw shot in the game. That was always my favorite item in all of the Zelda games. It would feel weird without it tbh. Since you can climb a lot of stuff, I'm not sure how useful the clawshot could be, though. Well, there ARE parts in the shrines you can't climb and I assume in dungeons, too. I dunno.

LordOfChaos

When asked whether the team thought of adding online features to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (such as multiplayer or messages that players could send to each other), Eiji Aonuma simply said that it was a good idea and would talk about it with his team back in Japan… before laughing.

In other words: no.

When they first revealed it, didn't they say one of the assumptions about Zelda they were challenging was the concept of playing in isolation?

Cerium

活きる's official translation seems to be "live".
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/movie/live.mp4

t3_5qh6wj

When they first revealed it, didn't they say one of the assumptions about Zelda they were challenging was the concept of playing in isolation?

Yeah and the way that it's presented in this interview, with him saying (coyly) "hmmmm I should ask people back in Kyoto about that.... hahahahah" actually makes it sound more like there is this kind of online functionality than there is not. And it's a big spoiler.

Or not, this is translated from French (and from Japanese to French) so who knows what he meant.

Raitaro

I really hope Aonuma gets to experience Dark Souls 1 at some point - or perhaps even collaborate with FROM's Miyazaki.

While the Zelda games certainly don't have to copy the Souls games structure, tone and combat, I do think that they could learn valuable lessons from Dark Souls 1's world interconnectivity, mysterious atmosphere and especially the high amounts of hidden lore and environmental storytelling that makes it so that each item and enemy is placed somewhere for a reason and is also designed the way they are for a reason.

It is a good thing that he played some of Ueda's games at least as they are some of the other high benchmarks (next to the Souls games) when it comes to creating lived-in, impressive game worlds that impress you with its scale, architecture and mystery.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's placing "elements" in a pre-set world. The "elements" is what I don't like the sound of. Level design should be whole, natural, a body.

This is not how level design works. On every game I worked on, environment artists primarily work on the model/art side and level/game designers populate the level: place objects, build in the game logic, place enemies and triggers, etc. And none of these titles were open-world games.

Yes, there's some coordination in terms of building the preliminary grey box before the art is finalized so designers can still work, as well as coordination with audio designers in terms of music and sound cues, but the majority of the time the work is pretty much split. I can't think of any level that's built "as a whole" as you put it. The same goes for any CG project I worked on for film or animation - "set dressing" is always a thing, the environments are built out and then populated with props/assets.

Not a fun of loot and survival and I worry it wreaks of borrowing the most mundane things from western games

Curious about the tlg stuf

duckroll

It's placing "elements" in a pre-set world. The "elements" is what I don't like the sound of. Level design should be whole, natural, a body. Saying there are X many shrines for example, tells me that shrines are a system. That doesn't imply that there is an organically progressive approach from the player with ebb and flow, it implies a field with some check marks to complete.

You could say the same things about dungeons (field, dungeon, field, dungeon, repeat, repeat, end boss). When there are only a few dungeons though, it's a little easier to mask. Really dungeons should be done away with, along with the concept of the player ever thinking "okay, I'm in this phase of the game now, and after this I'll be in that phase of the game."

Again, I'm just projecting my own experience with other games onto this game I haven't played yet. I'm completely open to experiencing the vision the creators have for the game without thinking it has to comply to any rule set of game design, but I'm also wary based on what I've seen.

This is not how level design works. On every game I worked on, environment artists primarily work on the model/art side and level/game designers populate the level: place objects, build in the game logic, place enemies and triggers, etc. And none of these titles were open-world games.

Yes, there's some coordination in terms of building the preliminary grey box before the art is finalized so designers can still work, as well as coordination with audio designers in terms of music and sound cues, but the majority of the time the work is pretty much split. I can't think of any level that's built "as a whole" as you put it. The same goes for any CG project I worked on for film or animation - "set dressing" is always a thing, the environments are built out and then populated with props/assets.

Let's take a look at the elements which made up the original Zelda's overworld.

bWZtdIT.png

Wow such a whole natural body.

I think it might be replaced with magic. Bombs are now magic which is neat since you don't have to go collecting them to use them in various situations. Stuff like the deku stick and the multiple arrow types are still here.
You can also now climb and glide which replaces the need for a hookshot and deku leaf.
I do hope/imagine we get more items, though. Or at least more magic abilities.

udivision

I think it might be replaced with magic. Bombs are now magic which is neat since you don't have to go collecting them to use them in various situations. Stuff like the deku stick and the multiple arrow types are still here.
You can also now climb and glide which replaces the need for a hookshot and deku leaf.
I do hope/imagine we get more items, though. Or at least more magic abilities.

Actually... this makes things perfect for the hookshot. Because It doesn't actually do anything Link couldn't do on his own without a some stamina. Well, the only possible main difference would be hookshotting to a wall behind you while your climbing one. But it would something they could add organically without random "targets" all over the world. The targets would only be in shrines, if at all.

Actually... this makes things perfect for the hookshot. Because It doesn't actually do anything Link couldn't do on his own without a some stamina. Well, the only possible main difference would be hookshotting to a wall behind you while your climbing one. But it would something they could add organically without random "targets" all over the world. The targets would only be in shrines, if at all.

Yeah I have a feeling it will return. There is a section in the inventory for "special items" so you never know. Although I guess there is no dedicated input for these "special items".

The hookshot could be a rune I guess.

I think it would be super neat if they made some traditional Zelda items some post/late game items.
The Hylian Shield that never breaks, the forged Master Sword that's powerful and never breaks, hero's tunic which has high stats, hero's bow, and stuff like the hook shot would be pretty neat.

Peltz

I still think these are in the game. If they are, it will be interesting to see how they are implemented.

Yeah I was thinking that. A glider has never invalidated hookshot in the past anyway. I think they'll have a special hookshot that goes in your bow collection, and could keep the slow mo midair aiming for it too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nintendo credited Grezzo as co-developer on TriForce Heroes because it was a 50/50 collaboration. Monolith is still an assistant here, alongside a few other Japanese companies who assist on specific things.There is now downplaying. You'll see them in the special thanks section at the end of the game with Digital Media Labs, Imagicascape, SRD, etc. There's a lot of companies who help make big games, this is also a case of the interviewers constantly asking "OMG Monolith sort of helped on a few Zeldas recently, what are they doing now?". Hence they keep being brought up in these interviews as opposed to the other helpers who work on every Zelda game.

There are many companies contracted on all games, but it's always difficult to tell how significant their contribution is to a game. If Monolith simply had the same role that the Kyoto studio fills on their first party games I doubt Aonuma would say anything about their contribution beyond the fact that they're doing assets again. You're also being hyperbolic about how much the press cares here. Yes Monolith probably won't specifically be credited beyond the Special Thanks section, but I'm willing to bet they have more planners involved with this game compared to Skyward Sword. I love the fact that we're getting some insight to what they did.

Yeah I was thinking that. A glider has never invalidated hookshot in the past anyway. I think they'll have a special hookshot that goes in your bow collection, and could keep the slow mo midair aiming for it too.

That would make sense. Maybe it's more of a rope arrow (which we sorta saw in the recent trailer with the sand walrus) than a hookshot, but hopefully the functionality is the same. I wonder if boomerangs could come back as standard weapons dropped by enemies, like in Zelda 1 sorta.

Caelus

I wonder if boomerangs could come back as standard weapons dropped by enemies, like in Zelda 1 sorta.

I definitely feel like the boomerang will come back as a 'generic' weapon that you can throw and it'll return to you, with stronger and elemental variations.

Servbot24

Banned
Er... isn't that how a real world is made though? You have your terrain, and then you make your buildings, which become ruins over time. It seems to be a more organic method of building a world then coming up with pre-made buildings or cities and creating the landscape around them, right?

That's true of the real world to a degree, but that doesn't necessarily apply to making a given game interesting.

I'm speaking purely from the way it's processed by the consumer. How it's made doesn't really matter to the consumer; if the result doesn't work, then it doesn't matter how difficult the process was, the process simply should't have been done. What I'm talking about is completely impossible in open world games. I'm not saying that open world games should not be made, but I am saying that it's impossible for open world games to have the intimate, tight-woven fabric that I'm thinking of. You can have games like WindWaker or MGSV that are open world in a way, but really they're about specific islands or bases where the level design actually flourishes. The "open world" is really just an interactive backdrop to the true game. Those areas are designed with a lot of focus and intention and don't feel like assets arranged on a board (maybe MGSV a bit since it's a realistic setting, but I think you can still get what I mean).

I realize I'm speaking purely in idealized and impractical terms, so I don't expect to be taken all that seriously. Half of posting this is just trying to define what I like for my own sake. I also realize I probably sound a bit snotty, that's not my intention though. Since you work on games you obviously have much more meaningful insight into this. :)

Let's take a look at the elements which made up the original Zelda's overworld.

bWZtdIT.png

Wow such a whole natural body.

Well the first Zelda isn't a very good game, so that fits with my view. :p

Well the first Zelda isn't a very good game, so that fits with my view. :p

It's not very good; it's a GREAT game. I think it completely stands the test of time. It doesn't hold the players hand and expects them to fucking explore.

I played and beat the game to 100% completion when I was 8 years old; it was hard as shit, but I did it.

Servbot24

Banned
It's not very good; it's a GREAT game. I think it completely stands the test of time. It doesn't hold the players hand and expects them to fucking explore.

I played and beat the game to 100% completion when I was 8 years old; it was hard as shit, but I did it.

I do like that aspect of it, but when a game expects me to explore, I expect the game will provide a world worth exploring. I don't feel that with Zelda. It just feels like templated sprites to me; I don't have any reason to want to explore a grid. To be fair I think I only finished 2 dungeons so maybe there's more to it, but I didn't get the sense anything else was coming. A grid-based game can obviously work, LttP is great for example, but there was enough to that game that the foundation isn't just staring you in the face.

In Zelda games like WW or MM, I genuinely feel like each new area I enter could have something I never anticipated that still contributes to build my sense of the world I'm in, and exploring with that feeling is so much more motivating and gratifying.

AntMurda

There are many companies contracted on all games, but it's always difficult to tell how significant their contribution is to a game. If Monolith simply had the same role that the Kyoto studio fills on their first party games I doubt Aonuma would say anything about their contribution beyond the fact that they're doing assets again. You're also being hyperbolic about how much the press cares here. Yes Monolith probably won't specifically be credited beyond the Special Thanks section, but I'm willing to bet they have more planners involved with this game compared to Skyward Sword. I love the fact that we're getting some insight to what they did.

This isn't general press, but enthusiast / hobbyist press and they generally have a fixation on asking Nintendo about Monolith. Like no one asked Miyamoto if Imagica Digitalscape and Digital Media Labs are contributing some animation and assets again. There are over 300 developers on the credits after all.

It's way overdue. It would be a real shame if he is shackled to the Zelda IP for the rest of his career.

He should have passed on the 2D Zelda duties, so he could maintain another franchise along the 3D Zelda duties.That's how they did it with Mario.

I do like that aspect of it, but when a game expects me to explore, I expect the game will provide a world worth exploring. I don't feel that with Zelda. It just feels like templated sprites to me; I don't have any reason to want to explore a grid. To be fair I think I only finished 2 dungeons so maybe there's more to it, but I didn't get the sense anything else was coming.

In Zelda games like WW or MM, I genuinely feel like each new area I enter could have something I never anticipated that still contributes to build my sense of the world I'm in, and exploring with that feeling is so much more motivating and gratifying.

Well, it IS worth exploring as a game. It's very metroid like in its execution; you explore ancient ruins and caves and find items that lets you explore *more* ruins and caves. But it's done in a completely non-linear fashion. You're dropped in a vast world (it was the NES, after all) and pretty much told to just go.

I mean, it sounds like you're in it for the atmosphere rather than the "game" part. Which is fine. But it is what it is: a game, and an old one at that.

And as a *game*, I think TLoZ is great.

So much stuff in this interview sounds like a good approach to me. Organically creating the world. Avoiding things like objective markers and letting player's natural instincts influence how they shaped it. How they went all in on voice acting. Just...I'm so excited.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This isn't general press, but enthusiast / hobbyist press and they generally have a fixation on asking Nintendo about Monolith. Like no one asked Miyamoto if Imagica Digitalscape and Digital Media Labs are contributing some animation and assets again. There are over 300 developers on the credits after all.

That's because they're not a first party studio or (in this case) even studios who make their own games? I don't see why this is a problem for you, it's hardly the first time we've seen this. Not just with Nintendo, but when a notable studio contributes to a game it sometimes gets asked about. It's a niche segment and it's always fantastic to get the insight.

Oh man now I'm expecting some incredible vistas and landmarks in this game. I cant wait to see whats in store.

Just a little over a month left now!

Servbot24

Banned
Well, it IS worth exploring as a game. It's very metroid like in its execution; you explore ancient ruins and caves and find items that lets you explore *more* ruins and caves. But it's done in a completely non-linear fashion. You're dropped in a vast world (it was the NES, after all) and pretty much told to just go.

I mean, it sounds like you're in it for the atmosphere rather than the "game" part. Which is fine. But it is what it is: a game, and an old one at that.

And as a *game*, I think TLoZ is great.

It kind of depends on the gameplay I suppose. I'm not saying NES Zelda has bad gameplay, but it's not as essential to what it is as Mario or something. I can happily play old Mario or Mega Man games because the gameplay is what those games are about. With Zelda, the exploration and combat go hand in hand. When the combat is merely serviceable, and the exploration is uninspiring (to me), it just doesn't work. I really think the essence of what Zelda is was just too far ahead of technology at the time.

All just imo of course

Top Bottom