• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Aonuma interview in French on Zelda development, Monolith, voice acting, Ueda/TLG

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's nice to see they're utilizing Monolith's talents to its fullest.

It's funny how some Nintendo fans are still downplaying their involvement after Aonuma literally said they're involved with more than just asset design this time. Level design isn't a trivial part of a game, especially an open world game.

AntMurda

Their games were never super high budget to begin with. Plus, their Xeno games were never really in the "bomba" category.

High budget for SIE or Ubi Soft standards? No. High budget for Nintendo standards, yes. Nintendo is much more conservative and Monolith Soft's projects have been on the higher scale of them. The games average what? 70-100k sales in Japan?

Garlador

High budget for SIE or Ubi Soft standards? No. High budget for Nintendo standards, yes. Nintendo is much more conservative and Monolith Soft's projects have been on the higher scale of them. The games average what? 70-100k sales in Japan?
They're not as expensive as you might think. They are ruthlessly efficient on costs and deadlines. In fact, interviews during Xenoblade had the director flabbergasted when they approached him to give them even more levels and stuff to create because they were tearing through the necessary designs so quickly.

brad-t

They had to think about adding voice acting for a super high profile triple-A Nintendo title releasing in 2017. Nintendo can be so out of touch, Jesus.

Obviously it would have to be thoughtfully implemented considering the franchise's legacy of eschewing voice acting and having a mute player character. Really weird that this is what you came away from this article with.

Neoxon

Is anyone else worried that BotW will pull a Street Fighter/Xenoblade & only have Japanese lip syncing?

duckroll

Well, I hope he got better! Not a huge fan of his direction, but Skyward Sword was a pretty huge improvement from his handheld stuff.

random25

Xenoblade did like 200k LTD in Japan. Dunno about worldwide but it got a re-release on the new 3DS and on the Wii U e-shop, so it should have sold pretty well if it's getting that much attention.

Xenoblade X did ~140k last time it was tracked in Japan, including digital, and over 200k in the US in its launch month. Could have exceeded 500k worldwide.

It's not a budget title for Nintendo, sure. But it's not expensive either that Nintendo's losing a ton of money because the franchise would have been scrapped by now otherwise. I bet they even gained profit from those games.

Cerium

It's not a budget title for Nintendo, sure. But it's not expensive either that Nintendo's losing a ton of money because the franchise would have been scrapped by now otherwise. I bet they even gained profit from those games.
I'm skeptical. I think they're given extra leeway because they've got expertise available nowhere else within Nintendo.

Either that or they might've gotten an ultimatum like IntSys did with Fire Emblem...

Suddenly the new Xenoblade art style makes sense.

Well, I hope he got better! Not a huge fan of his direction, but Skyward Sword was a pretty huge improvement from his handheld stuff.

It's been a long while since I played Skyward Sword, but I've always thought that it felt like a handheld designed home console game. Like, the way Skyworld/Overworld was split, the constant revisiting of places, how the regions opened up bit by bit.

Monolith's games are likely not that expensive when compared to Zelda or other AAAs. Xenoblade was on the wii using Wii level assets and while XCX is super impressive in its tech, the character models are fairly simple and I believe they focused on gameplay instead of story/narrative which was likely a budgetary thing.
When looking at BOTW footage it really feels like they took a long, hard look at Ueda's work on SOTC when coming up with the overworld and visual style. SOTC even had a gliding parachute thing!
92464_WiiU_LoZWWHD_Website_Story_Using_DekuLeaf.jpg
Wind Waker came out 3 years before Shadow of the Colossus

Instro

Previous Zelda games under his supervision featured more hand holding because not knowing what to do is the worst thing that can happen...

I dont know where this idea took hold for them, but thank fuck it sounds like they are abandoning it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm skeptical. I think they're given extra leeway because they've got expertise available nowhere else within Nintendo.

Either that or they might've gotten an ultimatum like IntSys did with Fire Emblem...

takahashi said themselves that the xenoblade games havent actually been expensive, they're mid-tier games and if you pay attention to them, you can tell, the world is big and beautiful and full of life, but alot of things like animation of the characters doing certain actions are skimped out on, and having 3 levels of cutscene animation for xenoblade 1 and x where level one is just having them standing around in a circle with letterboxes and flapping their gums, level 2 where they add a bit more animation and voice acting, and level 3 when you get the big amazing cutscenes in those games.

Neoxon

They had to think about adding voice acting for a super high profile triple-A Nintendo title releasing in 2017. Nintendo can be so out of touch, Jesus.
Voice acting isn't that big of a deal, especially since Zelda never really used voice acting until now. And even then, Nintendo doesn't spend nearly as much on voice acting as, say, Sony.

I dont know where this idea took hold for them, but thank fuck it sounds like they are abandoning it.

i think it was the whole wii thing, where they wanted to expand the audience. I think that now they want the core audience back, that's why we are seeing open zelda and mario.

That's a really weird thing to complain about, considering voice acting can make or break the immersion you can have in a game's story like Zelda. They have a right to be cautious in deciding whether to dip their toe or go all in.

Also fuck you Splatoon and Mario didn't have full voice acting.

Kid Icarus Uprising and both Xenoblades had full voice acting. Might be a tradition thing they were worried about.

random25

It's not even directly comparable with IntSys and FE situation. Plus, Xenoblade series getting more attention now more than ever says that Nintendo is pretty happy with how the franchise is doing.

And art style was never consistent per game because they use different artists.

Not every game needs voice acting, jesus.

Exactly. I'm glad that it's there in BotW, but it's no deal breaker if it's not even there as the series didn't have full voice acting until now and still remained one of the best series of all time.

Speely

Banned
Kid Icarus Uprising and both Xenoblades had full voice acting. Might be a tradition thing they were worried about.

I think this is the most likely case. The lack of voice in Zelda games has become a sort of iconic thing. Shaking that up is a big step.

Servbot24

Banned
The idea of making a world and then placing elements in it sounds so bad. Like they're just making an arbitrary easter egg hunt in a space that wasn't designed specifically to accommodate the features of the word that should be naturally interacted with. This really feels like how most open world games are and it feels terrible to play. (Obviously I'm just saying this based on a dev quip and I don't actually know shit about the dev process)

Everything else about the game sounds absolutely awesome.

The idea of making a world and then placing elements in it sounds so bad. Like they're just making an arbitrary easter egg hunt in a space that wasn't designed specifically to accommodate the features of the word that should be naturally interacted with. This really feels like how most open world games are and it feels terrible to play. (Obviously I'm just saying this based on a dev quip and I don't actually know shit about the dev process)

...Wouldn't that be the opposite? Like wouldn't the elements by default be made to accommodate the landscape?

Everything else about the game sounds absolutely awesome.

That's how level design works though. You tweak the world until you can use every system to bring as many people as possible optimal experiences. Systems can only do so much unless you design interesting pathing even in 4X games where it's nothing but systems essentially. Otherwise you get No Man's Sky, and no one wants that for a Zelda game.

Servbot24

Banned
...Wouldn't that be the opposite? Like wouldn't the elements by default be made to accommodate the landscape?

It's placing "elements" in a pre-set world. The "elements" is what I don't like the sound of. Level design should be whole, natural, a body. Saying there are X many shrines for example, tells me that shrines are a system. That doesn't imply that there is an organically progressive approach from the player with ebb and flow, it implies a field with some check marks to complete.

You could say the same things about dungeons (field, dungeon, field, dungeon, repeat, repeat, end boss). When there are only a few dungeons though, it's a little easier to mask. Really dungeons should be done away with, along with the concept of the player ever thinking "okay, I'm in this phase of the game now, and after this I'll be in that phase of the game."

Again, I'm just projecting my own experience with other games onto this game I haven't played yet. I'm completely open to experiencing the vision the creators have for the game without thinking it has to comply to any rule set of game design, but I'm also wary based on what I've seen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
He worked for Capcom. Not Flagship. He also made the Disney Tetris game on the N64. It was a charming title for what it was.

That makes sense. Never really understood what Flagship was anyway, in the west they seem to be a studio that worked for Capcom and had a relationship to Nintendo (mostly via Capcom) as well.

And note "All cutscenes", nothing about how much unvoiced speech bubbles/text boxes there are for "in game" interactions.

PtM

Banned
|OT| Climb. Live. Protect.

He worked for Capcom. Not Flagship. He also made the Disney Tetris game on the N64. It was a charming title for what it was.
I thought Flagship had been a Capcom studio?

Yep. http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=3218

But this allowed him to quickly learn what should and should not be done when developing a game for multiple platforms. So when came the time to port The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to the Nintendo Switch, he was able to plan things ahead of time, and make sure that the experience would be as great on the Nintendo Switch as on Wii U... and without any last-minute ”surprises".
This sounds like the real reason for feature parity.

Servbot24

Banned
Aonuma never played Dark Souls?

That's a shame.

I bet this is one of the irritating things about being in game development. They are so over-worked, especially people in leadership positions. It's gotta be impossible to make time for games that have a learning curve.

From what I've read as far as key individuals who have given interviews for this game, it seems to me like Aonuma is the brains behind this game. At that first ND where no footage was shown, Zelda U was just mentioned, Aonuma was the one who broke the news. When BOTW was first shown, Aonuma was the one who debuted the game. Aonuma seems to be giving more interviews for this game than Miyamoto and Fujibayashi (the director of the game). Maybe I'm just missing all the press Miyamoto and Fujibayashi may be involved in. To me, I just get the impression that Aonuma is the driving force behind this game. Is that an accurate assessment of the situation? Does anyone else feel similar?

Very interesting to learn about the sort of games Aonuma plays.

Cerium

From what I've read as far as key individuals who have given interviews for this game, it seems to me like Aonuma is the brains behind this game. At that first ND where no footage was shown, Zelda U was just mentioned, Aonuma was the one who broke the news. When BOTW was first shown, Aonuma was the one who debuted the game. Aonuma seems to be giving more interviews for this game than Miyamoto and Fujibayashi (the director of the game). Maybe I'm just missing all the press Miyamoto and Fujibayashi may be involved in. To me, I just get the impression that Aonuma is the driving force behind this game. Is that an accurate assessment of the situation? Does anyone else feel similar?

Very interesting to learn about the sort of games Aonuma plays.

Eh I think you just have to work your way up the ladder before you get public exposure. Aonuma was directing games once while Miyamoto did the press.

Koizumi was the one who presented Mario Odyssey and he even dressed up for it, but he's not the director of that either.

Eh I think you just have to work your way up the ladder before you get public exposure. Aonuma was directing games once while Miyamoto did the press.

Koizumi was the one who presented Mario Odyssey and he even dressed up for it, but he's not the director of that either.

I do think though that the direction of the franchises are based on koizumi and aonuma desires for it. The producer title may sound "off hands" but these two always gave the impression that they were very much hand on with it, of course with the directors handling the ship as well because as producers they had to work on other games while the main one is being made.

duckroll

He's not wrong fundamentally, but I think the solutions they came up with in response to that thought are far worse and a clear underestimation of the player base. The actual concept that not knowing what to do is the worst thing that can happen to a player is actually spot on. I would rephrase it as "not knowing what is expected of me" though. The point is, when you do any task or engage in any activity, purpose is very important. You need to know what is expected so you can try to do your best. This doesn't mean knowing the solution to a puzzle, but rather knowing how the rules work. Presenting things clearly helps sets a person at ease so working out how they want to accomplish their tasks can be satisfying and even fun. If you don't know what the rules are and you don't know what is expected of you at all or how anything even works, you will be frustrated and stressed.

NEO0MJ

I bet this is one of the irritating things about being in game development. They are so over-worked, especially people in leadership positions. It's gotta be impossible to make time for games that have a learning curve.

Sakurai did it, though. But I have idea if he played any of the following games.

Charamiwa

Banned
So what's the deal with all our English-speaking games journalists failing to get these kinds of interviews? The French are kicking our asses.

To be fair, if you're interested in non-answers about female Link the english interviews are a goldmine!

Rodin

My biggest takeaways are them tweaking the game after reviewing how people navigate, the fact he hasn't played Dark Souls, and that all the cutscenes are voiced.

Honestly - I'm pretty surprised he hasn't played DS. While I don't agree with all the hyperbolic "WE DARK SOULS NOW" every time a gif is posted, it does seem - at least in long-form videos, that it takes a few cues from that series.
Lolz

Maybe cause it's the opposite, Miyazaki is a huge Zelda fan.

Top Bottom