• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 website updated w/ character/box art, screenshots

FluxWaveZ

http://www.danganronpa.com/v3/

Cast

img01.png

Monokumas

L2zlphx.png

Five bear-type robots who call themselves the “Children of Monokuma” will appear. Under their father and the school headmaster Monokuma, they control Saishuu Academy, as well as the “killing game” carried out there. Each Monokuma has its own, entirely different personality, and are often unable to keep control of the conversation…

—Monotarou

The leader-esque figure of the five Monokumas, who often tends to get sidetracked. On the other hand, he can also have a child-like clumsiness about him.

Setting

ScycevQ.png

Setting: Saishuu Academy (Gifted Prisoners Academy)

A school with a unique atmosphere, overgrown with greenery from its classrooms to its corridors.

Protagonist

9mQsqbE.png

Protagonist: Kaede Akamatsu

Kaede is a reliable and responsible type with a bright and positive personality. She naturally takes charge and leads others, and possesses both strong determination and the ability to take action.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/09/new-dang...monokuma-japanese-box-art#XdvHHS717McQZhAo.99

Box Art

ytPWTKG.jpg

Previously Released Info

— Gematsu

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I need to know their Ultimates

Eblo

A prison school, eh? That's new and different. Can't wait to see how that plays into the story.

Nightbird

Sweet, looks awesome

Now let's try guessing who will die. I'm betting on that huge buff guy, the buff characters always die

Nightfall

I have no idea what these Danganronpa games are about, but I always found the artstyle rather intriguing.

Anyone care to elaborate or do a sales pitch? Is it anything like Persona? Or more some kinf of visual novel stuff?

BTA

they have for all of the danganronpa releases so far

The real question is whether they're going to keep the name or just call it Danganronpa 3.

I really liked that 2 had "Super" in the title and am still sad they changed it.

FluxWaveZ

I have no idea what these Danganronpa games are about, but I always found the artstyle rather intriguing.

Anyone care to elaborate or do a sales pitch? Is it anything like Persona? Or more some kinf of visual novel stuff?

Battle Royale + Ace Attorney.

High school students trapped in an isolated environment and forced to kill each other. Gameplay loop is visual novel conversations with others -> murder happens -> investigation with point-and-click elements -> classroom trial with mini-games centered around pointing out contradictions.

The real question is whether they're going to keep the name or just call it Danganronpa 3.

I really liked that 2 had "Super" in the title and am still sad they changed it.

Well, they certainly can't call it "Danganronpa 3."

There's definitely gonna be someone who does this better than me but here goes...

It's basically a murder mystery, about 5-10 people die and you need to figure out whodunit in a trial after collecting clues. But it's bat shit insane.

NotLiquid

Ace Attorney meets Battle Royale. The characters of the game are locked up in a school where they are coerced by the series' ostensible antagonist Monokuma to kill each other in order to escape. To that end they're all given motivations to do so. Once someone is killed, a "trial" is held shortly after an investigation which is a find-the-contradictions type game but with an action-shooter type gimmick to it (evidence = bullets, and you shoot those bullets at testimonies). If the killer isn't found out, the class is executed and the killer walks free. If the class finds out the killer, then they're executed.

AniHawk

they'll probably drop the 'new' from the title if they can, and then leave v3 and give it a subtitle. funimation will use '3' considering it's actually the next part of the story linking 2 and v3.

BTA

Those Children of Monokumas are those kids in Ultra Despair Girls aren't they...urghh...

If this game is more Ultimate Despair Girls than I'm not sure I even want to play it tbh

Yeah, I sure fucking hope that's not what's happening. I had the same reaction at first glance but it's really only the far left more clunky looking one that actually fits one of the kids; the others just have the same colors and that really doesn't indicate too much.

After what's happening in 3, I'm actually ready to believe that's the end of that universe and this is, as they've claimed, a reboot. I really hope it's that.

Nightfall

Ace Attorney meets Battle Royale?

29db411914f980415f23fad69311c356278a6ab55117f4e7d939da2a934d4c4a.jpg

Sounds really interesting. I'm always up for a good murder mystery. And if it's batshit insane? Even better!
So it seems like I have to check this out.

Do I need to play the other games or can I safely jump aboard the hype train for 3?

Sounds really interesting. I'm always up for a good murder mystery. And if it's batshit insane? Even better!

Do I need to play the other games or can I safely jump aboard the hype train for 3?
Definitely need to play the others. I don't know about the ultimate despair girls though.

AniHawk

v3 is supposed to be a new start, probably because they're jumping onto ps4, but also since the anime is supposed to be the end of the 1, 2, and another episode stuff, which are all pretty connected (although another episode is not too important to understanding 1 and 2 since it is a side story that was developed later).

That box art is beautiful. Hope that one comes west.

Was gutted we didn't get the 1/2 Reload box over here.

Also, as a fan I'm relieved, but I'm surprised they're playing it so safe with this. School setting; Monokumas; Ultimates ... I thought they were done with the HPA stuff but they're still taking it blindingly close.

EmiPrime

You'll be able to start from 3 as it's a new storyline but with the same themes and Monokuma but you should play the Vita games anyway because they are amazing.

Except Despair Girls which has its moments but isn't great.

Definitely need to play the others. I don't know about the ultimate despair girls though.

Actually I'm not sure if it's essential to play the first two games to get the story. AFAIK v3 is completely new and not connected to the previous story arc, at most I expect some kind of allusions to it.

But s/he should play Danganronpa 1 + 2 anyway since this won't come out in English until mid-2017 and they're excellent games to get into in the meantime.

jonjonaug

I hope NISA fast tracks the localization.

Given the quality of the Danganronpa 2 script and the script for other recent games I've played that they were responsible for, I hope that NISA takes their time. Or that Spike Chunsoft gives the series to someone who would do a better job.

18-Volt

Man, wait is going to be torture for me. I hope NISA do a simultaneous or almost simultaneous release the way XSEED do nowadays.

I'm gonna make some guesses but some are pretty obvious;

Front row, first one, white haired girl: Ultimate Painter
One with the witch hat: Ultimate Witch (Duh)
Midget: Ultimate Tennis Player
Girl in Pink: Ultimate Pilot

That's it from me, others are hard to guess.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I like a lot of the character designs this time around; it's great to have another female protagonist.
I also like the really dig the setting - a plantsy prison sounds neat.

Jawmuncher

Some of those these designs look like they were made with a danganronpa character creator. They look so similar to older ones.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I want it ASAP!

I see lots of hate for despair girls but imo it was way more disturbing than 1&2 with
kids killing adults and adults wanting to kill kids, stories of abused kids and so on

EDIT:
Man, wait is going to be torture for me. I hope NISA do a simultaneous or almost simultaneous release the way XSEED do nowadays.

I'm gonna make some guesses but some are pretty obvious;

Front row, first one, white haired girl: Ultimate Painter
One with the witch hat: Ultimate Witch (Duh)
Midget: Ultimate Tennis Player
Girl in Pink: Ultimate Pilot

That's it from me, others are hard to guess.
I would say ultimate surgeon, those things look like scalpels to me.
The girl behind her could be the ultimate maid, while the guy in black with a cap behind the midget is probably an ultimate in some sport.
The first guy is probably military related, ultimate strategist?

EDIT2:
the guy with the chess scarf makes me think of a chess or piano player, the midget is probably a criminal and the girl in blue could be a ninja.

Actually I'm not sure if it's essential to play the first two games to get the story. AFAIK v3 is completely new and not connected to the previous story arc, at most I expect some kind of allusions to it.

But s/he should play Danganronpa 1 + 2 anyway since this won't come out in English until mid-2017 and they're excellent games to get into in the meantime.
So it's not the same current world?

Top Bottom