• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DC Universe event starts with 'Dark Days', from Snyder, Lee and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
http://www.cbr.com/scott-snyder-jim-lee-dc-universe-event-dark-days/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista

'Since the universe-altering “Flashpoint” in 2011, DC Comics has mostly stayed away from line-wide publishing events. That will change this summer, beginning with a freshly announced story titled “Dark Days” from some of the publisher’s highest-profile creators.

Writers and frequent collaborators Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV have joined forces with superstar artists Jim Lee, Andy Kubert and John Romita Jr. for two “Dark Days” one-shots: “Dark Days: The Forge,” scheduled for release on June 14, and “Dark Days: The Casting,” set for July 12. The stories are said to explore a mystery that “will reveal the dark underbelly of the DC Universe,” and lead to an as-yet unspecified DCU event.

“Art like this demands an epic story,” Snyder said in a statement. “‘Dark Days’ posits a mystery that traces all the way back to when I started on ‘Batman.’ I’ve hinted at them over the years with Easter eggs and clues. This is a mystery that literally begins at the dawn of man and spans generations of heroes and villains and ultimately leads to huge revelations about the past, present and future of the cosmology of DC. I couldn’t be more excited for ‘Dark Days.’ It’s the prelude to the event we’ve been developing for years.”

While not specifically confirmed, all current evidence points to that being the “Batman-centric” DC Universe event Snyder has planned with artist Greg Capullo, which has been discussed since their acclaimed run on “Batman” ended last year. While Capullo isn’t mentioned in DC’s “Dark Days” announcement, it does state the story is “spearheaded by Snyder,” and Jim Lee’s cover for “Dark Days: The Forge” (the only “Dark Days” art available thus far) is definitely Batman-centric. Snyder’s quote also makes it clear the story has its roots in their “Batman” run.'

A lot more at the link.

DDays-Forge-1.jpg

Is this the dark future Bruce kept dreaming of in as Snyder's Batman run.

OP says:

”Art like this demands an epic story," Snyder said in a statement. ”‘Dark Days' posits a mystery that traces all the way back to when I started on ‘Batman.' I've hinted at them over the years with Easter eggs and clues. ... I couldn't be more excited for ‘Dark Days.' It's the prelude to the event we've been developing for years."

so, maybe.

Sounds all right as long as they don't handle this like a Marvel event that lasts way too long and cripples the entire line. I'm not a big Snyder fan but he and Tynion are reliable at least and I'm always in for more Romita Jr.

Sounds all right as long as they don't handle this like a Marvel event that lasts way too long and cripples the entire line. I'm not a big Snyder fan but he and Tynion are reliable at least and I'm always in for more Romita Jr.

Well, it's seemingly two issues that set up a Snyder/Capullo event that is supposedly called Metal (probably a codename) later in the Summer/year. It's also not heroes vs heroes so the floor is theirs, in terms of avoiding a Marvel event-itis(?).

Doesn't leave me particularly hopeful if that's the order of importance they're putting on things

Tbf I think it's more Snyder being a huge fan of Lee, Kubert and Romita so he wants the story to fit their talents. Whoever fits the bill for you in art terms, you don't get your favourite artist to do a thoraway event. I think <_<

Veelk

Banned
Here I was thinking "Jesus, what new abomination has Zack thought of now?"

But Scott Snyder? I trust that guy.

I need to catch up with whatever is happening currently though. The last thing I read was his trucker storyline, which I think is probably the first story from him that I didn't receive positively. I miss the Greg Capullo art.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Zack Snyder is the savior of the human species. Whatever he conjures will be worshiped in times to come. Every great personality is misjudged at first.

I need to catch up with whatever is happening currently though. The last thing I read was his trucker storyline, which I think is probably the first story from him that I didn't receive positively. I miss the Greg Capullo art.
Capullo will be back for the main event~

Rooster12

DC should just let Snyder write Justice League and the events as well.

Why they don't is beyond me.

Oh...they need another Wonder Woman-centric event in the near future

I read all of Synders run, but i don't remember this. When was this?

Batman Eternal probably

El Topo

DC should just let Snyder write Justice League and the events as well.

Why they don't is beyond me.

Oh...they need another Wonder Woman-centric event in the near future

Maybe they just looked at the last name and thought they were the same person?

xRaizen

Does DC have something like Marvel Unlimited? I'd like to read through DC's comics but I wouldn't want to buy every single issue.. I don't have that kind of cash.

Does DC have something like Marvel Unlimited? I'd like to read through DC's comics but I wouldn't want to buy every single issue.. I don't have that kind of cash.

No, unfortunately, not yet. But I hope it happens one day, I love Marvel Unlimited. Your best option for DC right now is probably to buy collections on sale on Comixology.

Is this the Watchmen thing?

There's a mini crossover about the Watchmen thing happening in the pages of Batman and The Flash next month. It's called "The Button" if I recall correctly.

Heh, jokingly asked Snyder if we should prepare the graves and got this direct messaged back to me:
I'm not a cemetery guy! Never killed a main character without bringing them back next issue :) So no worries there

xRaizen

No, unfortunately, not yet. But I hope it happens one day, I love Marvel Unlimited. Your best option for DC right now is probably to buy collections on sale on Comixology.

There's a mini crossover about the Watchmen thing happening in the pages of Batman and The Flash next month. It's called "The Button" if I recall correctly.
Yeah I'd rather not have to buy a bunch of collections, I want to read decades worth of comic book runs and I reckon it would get very expensive for me. With MU I can read pretty much anything for the price of 3-5 comics per month. In my free month alone I read the entirety of Ultimate Spider-Man :3

If DC does it then I'll gladly subscribe as long as it's not something crazy like $50/month or something.

Falchion

Could be cool, I like that they've been planning this for a long time and have embedded some references to it in earlier issues.

"that's some cool looking art. We should make a story out of it. Better yet, a universe wide event!"

Snyder is all about the story. He just so happens to get cool artists for his stories. What artists wouldn't want to work with Snyder? His Batman books are dense with dialogue.

They finally gonna address the whole 3 Jokers?

Doubt it. That's more tied into Johns' Rebirth storyline. You may want to read the Superman book by Tomasi + Gleason if you want a hint at to how two of the same character can exist at once etc.

*rough spoilers for Superman*

From what I understand, the way that we have Clark Kent and Superman, with one being Pre Crisis, is that Mxyzptlk played a part. He's not responsible for Rebirth though and remarks that he's just playing with the tools at his disposal, or something like that. So 3 Jokers will probably be something similar, with Mxy or someone else taking the chance to torture some of DCs biggest heroes

Snyder is all about the story. He just so happens to get cool artists for his stories. What artists wouldn't want to work with Snyder? His Batman books are dense with dialogue.

Yeah. He's always singing the praises of the artists he works with but he's prose first, iirc, comics second. So, if the story is a dud it's on him because it was bad, not because he played subservient to editorial + art. I feel like DC want Snyder to almost be their lead writer going forward.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Whatever happened to the Lincoln March/"Thomas Wayne Jr." Owlman? He pretty much vanished after the Court of Owls arc - unless they actually did kill him off...
He was part of
Batman: Eternal

Wasn't Owlman killed by Dr. Manhattan?

I think you mean Nite Owl. And he wasn't killed in Watchmen.

Owlman is Thomas Wayne, Jr., Bruce Wayne's evil older brother from Earth 3 or 2 depending on if it's before or after New 52. There is an actual Owlman in the New 52 and he's with the Talons. So far it's a mystery as to whether or not he is Bruce's long lost brother. I didn't read Batman Eternal so he probably showed up there.

Ross61

I think you mean Nite Owl. And he wasn't killed in Watchmen.

Owlman is Thomas Wayne, Jr., Bruce Wayne's evil older brother from Earth 3 or 2 depending on if it's before or after New 52. There is an actual Owlman in the New 52 and he's with the Talons. So far it's a mystery as to whether or not he is Bruce's long lost brother. I didn't read Batman Eternal so he probably showed up there.

He talking about when
Owlman was killed at the end of Darkseid War after he sat on the Möbius Chair.

Lifeline

It may have been before thw last story arc. Bruce has a dream of a apovlystic future where hes fighting robot creatures alongside Lak and Bluebird.

introducing-lark-the-new-robin-kind-of-of-dc-comics-batman-rebirth.jpg

Was that in Batman Eternal? I totally ignored all of that and only stuck with the main series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom