• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming to Xbox Game Pass: Need for Speed Unbound, The Bookwalker, Sword and Fairy: Together Forever, and More

Roberts

Played Bramble a bit and I like it. I only played for less than an hour but it feels very familiar (Limbo was a less restricted camera angles and many other influences) but it has got tons of atmosphere to spare and while the character models are super indie, the lighting is aces.

I'm glad F.I.S.T. finally came out on xbox. Very solid. It's great to see a rare Chinese game that oozes confidence and competence. Looks great, plays great too. Will definitely finish.

Didn't really feel in the mood to play Book Walker, but I guess it will have its fans, too.

Reactions: Isa

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ths is why I love gamepass, I had never even heard of F.I.S.T. Tried it out last night and today and it's flat out amazing.

Roberts

Finished Bramble. As much as I loved Planet of Lana, this one is even better despite janky controls and animation. As dark as creepy Scandinavian fairytales go.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished Bramble. As much as I loved Planet of Lana, this one is even better despite janky controls and animation. As dark as creepy Scandinavian fairytales go.

Have it downloaded but still playing FF, definitely on my next list.

It's a good arcade racer. I couldn't tell you a single thing about it that's bad aside from the very sparse cutscenes
Depends what your experience with racing games is. It has terrible dialogue and story, OST probably the worst in its history and yes, even worse than HEAT music and I actually like hiphop. Extremely boring open world space with lots of empty spaces. There is no skill issue here. You arent meant to be first place in the beginning, its all about collecting cash. By week 3 I had so much money that all I did was get arrested so the day would pass and i could do a final race. The progress system is flawed. Online is terrible as well as they treat it as a new game, so everything you unlocked and upgraded, you are back to zero. Barely anything to do post game and the tracks keep repeating....I can go on forever.

Banned
Depends what your experience with racing games is. It has terrible dialogue and story, OST probably the worst in its history and yes, even worse than HEAT music and I actually like hiphop. Extremely boring open world space with lots of empty spaces. There is no skill issue here. You arent meant to be first place in the beginning, its all about collecting cash. By week 3 I had so much money that all I did was get arrested so the day would pass and i could do a final race. The progress system is flawed. Online is terrible as well as they treat it as a new game, so everything you unlocked and upgraded, you are back to zero. Barely anything to do post game and the tracks keep repeating....I can go on forever.

dialogue and story is awful in every racing game.

who cares about the OST, I legit didn't even really listen to it, I just turned on the NFSU2 playlist on Spotify 🤣, and I'm not sure how the progress system is flawed. you do need a lot of money generally to upgrade not only your car but also your garage. sure you can just fast skip to the end of a week but then you need to get a new car class for the week after that.

as for the open world. maybe I just like the vibes of Chicago 🤷 (I mean Lakeshore... of course *wink*) already liked it as a backdrop in Watch Dogs 1

Last edited:

Roberts

Have it downloaded but still playing FF, definitely on my next list.

I think nobody will ever complain about game’s excellent atmosphere. And it has some of the moodiest lighting I have seen in a indie game, but it really depends on your ability to tolerate its less than perfect (usuallly technical) elements. Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I think nobody will ever conplain about game’s excellent atmosphere. And it has some of the moodiest lighting I have seen in a indie game, but it really depends on your ability to tolerate its less than perfect (usuallly technical) elements. Hope you enjoy it.

To my great shame, I also have Planet of Lana downloaded but haven't had a chance to play a lot of it yet.

Looks like July only has one game I'm interested in and August is completely barren for me, so I have a 2 month window before Starfield completely takes me over to play these games.

Last edited:
To my great shame, I also have Planet of Lana downloaded but haven't had a chance to play a lot of it yet.

Looks like July only has one game I'm interested in and August is completely barren for me, so I have a 2 month window before Starfield completely takes me over to play these games.
Planet of Lana can be finished in 1 - 2 sitting. Good game, but not really challenging and fairly short.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not a great month for me, but that's probably a good thing. My backlog is already too big, and I want to try to clear some of it up before September. Maybe I'll check out Bramble.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Planet of Lana was good but I think it ran 90 minutes too long because of the type of game it was.

The puzzles are okay, but the art style, music, and animation are top-notch.

Roberts

It says I played Bramble for 6 hours and sounds about right, especially since a few bosses were a bit challenging (there is no way I will ever get no-dying achievement). The game may be a bit longer than most of its ilk but it never gets boring - it really gets better as it moves along and the last few chapters excel at being a creepy folk horror with a touch of grotesque (some similarities with Little Nightmares). I also liked that it avoids being a strict side-scroller like Inside, Limbo, Planet of Lana; the camera is a bit more unrestricted and free to roam above you, behind you etc. Somerville did this too, but I think Bramble does it better even though it can make the already janky controls a bit less precise.

ZGCM46Q.jpg

Last edited:

calistan

It says I played Bramble for 6 hours and sounds about right, especially since a few bosses were a bit challenging (there is no way I will ever get no-dying achievement). The game may be a bit longer than most of its ilk but it never gets boring - it really gets better as it moves along and the last few chapters excel at being a creepy folk horror with a touch of grotesque (some similarities with Little Nightmares). I also liked that it avoids being a strict side-scroller like Inside, Limbo, Planet of Lana; the camera is a bit more unrestricted and free to roam above you, behind you etc. Somerville did this too, but I think Bramble does it better even though it can make the already janky controls a bit less precise.

ZGCM46Q.jpg
I really wanted to like this but I gave up after 3h 49m. Properly gave up too, deleted my cloud save to make sure I'm never tempted to go back. The boss in the circle of trees was the last straw for me.

It's just a shit game. The story is good, but the wooden animation, the janky controls, the unavoidable one-hit surprise deaths, the falling off platforms because the camera angle changed, the feeble puzzles... I'm sure it would have been slightly better as a 2D side-scroller like Limbo.

Roberts

I really wanted to like this but I gave up after 3h 49m. Properly gave up too, deleted my cloud save to make sure I'm never tempted to go back. The boss in the circle of trees was the last straw for me.

It's just a shit game. The story is good, but the wooden animation, the janky controls, the unavoidable one-hit surprise deaths, the falling off platforms because the camera angle changed, the feeble puzzles... I'm sure it would have been slightly better as a 2D side-scroller like Limbo.

A bummer and not that you are wrong: all these criticisms are legit. It is just that I probably have a higher tolerance to jank if something else hooks me on the game. Speaking of trees boss (you are not too far away from the end, btw), you just have to hide behind the trees and shoot these hanged-on-trees monk-like dudes first.

calistan

A bummer and not that you are wrong: all these criticisms are legit. It is just that I probably have a higher tolerance to jank if something else hooks me on the game. Speaking of trees boss (you are not too far away from the end, btw), you just have to hide behind the trees and shoot these hanged-on-trees monk-like dudes first.
I'm fairly tolerant of jank - I actually finished Redfall. There's just something about this one, with all the cheap, instant deaths. I assumed the tree boss was the end, so I looked for a playthrough to see how it was done, and this guy finished in under 3 hours but the tree boss was around the two hour mark. I made it to the second phase, died due to huge slowdown while a red mist effect was obscuring the screen (cloud play on Series X) and just couldn't face the prospect of only being 70% done with it.

I enjoyed leading the gnomes into the bear traps though. That was the best part for me, genuinely funny and makes me wish for a modern remake of Lemmings.

adamsapple

Sword and Fairy has me intrigued. Anyone played it?

I launched it for a few mins to check it out, looked interesting, like an RPG from the 360 days.

Will check it out in earnest in July/August when it's a slow period for me.

Top Bottom