• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Quest VIII - North American localized screens

jett

D-Member
:lol at DQ8's website. I can't believe they are really basing the entire marketing campaign on the fact that it's uber popular in Japan. I have a feeling I won't see DQ5r translated...ever.

Also, Kafrizzle? WTF is this bullshit?

Shouta

I actually talked to some random SE monkeys about those spell changes at E3 and they were scratching their heads about it too. :lol

Ironclad

Tony HoTT said:
I actually like Toriyama artwork it's just that they felt they had to change it to that hairstyle for us Americans simply because DBZ was somewhat successful here? I bet a picture of that hair is going to be on the back of the box.
Personally, I am not a fan of Toriyama's work, but regardless of that, you're right. The hair change was useless. It's a change for the worse IMO. Also, I am sad to hear that they're change the spell names. Another useless change.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Red Scarlet said:
In some EGM article/ad, they showed a screenshot showing that it seems the spells are in fact being renamed. In the screenshot, Jessica casts Merami/Blazemore (or Merazooma/Blazemost), which is now called 'Kafrizzle'. So I guess Mera/Blaze will be 'Sizzle' and Rerimito/Outside is going to be 'Pop', and Bagi/Infernos will be 'Woosh' after all. :|

I'd post the scan, but that's a no-no.
WTF?

Red Scarlet said:
In some EGM article/ad, they showed a screenshot showing that it seems the spells are in fact being renamed. In the screenshot, Jessica casts Merami/Blazemore (or Merazooma/Blazemost), which is now called 'Kafrizzle'. So I guess Mera/Blaze will be 'Sizzle' and Rerimito/Outside is going to be 'Pop', and Bagi/Infernos will be 'Woosh' after all. :|

I'd post the scan, but that's a no-no.

:lol Square has been listening to too much Snoop.

Red Scarlet

Someone at gamefaqs posted what the names of stuff were in the demo (if you sign up for that Slime-Knights fanpage, it has a list of various malls that are going to have the game set up to play and try out).

Here's what he posted, no idea if it's reliable (none of the stops on the tour are within 12+ hours of me, although I used to live 15 minutes away from one).

Sizz (Firebal)
Frizz (Blaze)
Crack (IceBolt)
Pop (Outside)
Miniheal (Heal)
Mediheal (Healmore)
Warp (Return)
Snooze (Sleep)
Woosh (Infernos)
Squelch (Antidote... where they hell did they get "Squelch" from?)
Share Magic (MP Pass)
Bang
Knuckle Sandwich (DW7's "Punch")
Light wind (Vacuum)
Blow Kiss (Jessica special)
Sandman's Arrow (Angelo special)
Warcry

Monsters

Slime Knight
Healslime (Healer)
Winky (Giant Eyeball)
Treeface
Fat Bat
Pan Man
Bodkin Bowyer (Arrop)
Chimera (Wyvern)
Jargon (The fat, beer keg carrying dragon)
She-Slime (ORANGE! NOT RED!)
Bag o' Laughs (TrickBag)

Maybe someone that can go to one of the mall demo things can investigate. Supposedly, the tour dates/locations are:

August:
FRI 05 - Jersey City, NJ - Newport Centre (3-9PM)
SAT 06 - Rockaway, NJ - Rockaway Townsquare (3-9PM)
FRI 12 - North Attleboro, MA - Emerald Square (3-9PM)
SAT 13 - Saugus, MA - Square One Mall (3-9PM)
SUN 14 - Nashua, NH - Pheasant Lane Mall (12-6PM)
FRI 19 - Garden City, NY - Roosevelt Field (1-7PM)
SAT 20 - Lake Grove, NY - Smith Haven Mall (3-9PM)
FRI 26 - Glen Allen, VA - Virginia Center Commons (3-9PM)
SUN 28 - Langhorne, PA - Oxford Valley Mall (12-6PM)

September:
SAT 03 - Charlotte, NC - South Park (3-9PM)
FRI 09 - Kennesaw, GA - Town Center at Cobb (3-9PM) <-bah
SAT 10 - Duluth, GA - Gwinnett Place (3-9PM)
FRI 16 - Indianapolis, IN - Lafayette Square (3-9PM)
SAT 17 - Indianapolis, IN - Castleton Square (1-7PM)
FRI 23 - Orland Park, IL - Orland Square (3-9PM)
SAT 24 - Calumet, IL - River Oaks Center (3-9PM)
FRI 30 - St. Paul, MN - Maplewood Mall (3-9PM)

October:
SUN 02 - Duluth, MN - Miller Hill Mall (12-6PM)
SAT 08 - Seattle, WA - Northgate Mall (3-9PM)
SUN 09 - Tacoma, WA - Tacoma Mall (1-7PM)
FRI 14 - Westminster, CA - Westminster Mall (3-9PM)
SAT 15 - Laguna Hills, CA - Laguna Hills Mall (1-7PM)
SUN 16 - Brea, CA - Brea Mall (12-6PM)
FRI 21 - McAllen, TX - La Plaza Mall (3-9PM)
SUN 23 - Cedar Park, TX - Lakeline Mall (12-6PM)

We can expect some disappointing changes. It's a miracle that any turn-based RPG is making it stateside.

But, a console RPG with true turn-based combat that's NOT a exploration-free strategy RPG? I'll put up with a lot of junk if it has that good turn-based non-strategy RPG old-school flava. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga are nearly making me weep with happiness despite the flaws.

Like trying to reconcile Aika's blood thirsty kill-lust in Skies of Arcadia... "IT'S TURN-BASED, FOR GOD'S SAKES! LEAVE ME ALONE!! WE DON'T GET MANY OF THESE ANYMORE!"

Ah.. back to Dragon Warrior IV on my PSP's big beautiful screen... thank god for emulators.

Scott

Sea-Dragon said:
But, a console RPG with true turn-based combat that's NOT a exploration-free strategy RPG?
Sea-Dragon said:
"IT'S TURN-BASED, FOR GOD'S SAKES! LEAVE ME ALONE!! WE DON'T GET MANY OF THESE ANYMORE!"
Yeah, there are only like 40~ of them this gen... I guess that's kind of rare?

Red Scarlet

As for the 'hair conspiracy', if you never played/saw it in the JP game, here it is:

jp100t.png

vs

17.jpg

Red Scarlet

jett said:
:lol at DQ8's website. I can't believe they are really basing the entire marketing campaign on the fact that it's uber popular in Japan.

They tried it with 7, too, on the back of the case with 'The Best Selling Japanese PlayStation® game console Title of All Time!'

Didn't seem to help then.

For God's sakes, Red, that's beyond cruel. We try to hold onto awesome child hood memories with Dragon warrior I, II, III, IV, and VIII, but when we see that crap we can't help but get sad. Sometimes ignorance is bliss... If I close my tiny eyes, I picture a dragon warrior with a chapter system, and a moving story, dynamic characters and adventures waiting under bold wings for me!

Red Scarlet

Lol, sorry. I'm not trying to be mean.

At least some people are bugged by them, gamefaqs is full of posters that almost always chastise anyone that has any inkling of dislike towards what is being done. :lol

Shao

I dont mind the hair or name changes so much, looks half decent to me. I'm just very very thankful I might get to play this game at all in a language I can understand. Looks very nice.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Red Scarlet said:
SUN 23 - Cedar Park, TX - Lakeline Mall (12-6PM)

Hmm, thats about 20 minutes away from my house. I might actually check that out...except the fact that I work from 12pm-6pm every Sunday, at another mall. Noooooooooo!

Damn, I missed the Jersey City Tour date.

Super-Saiyan hair is lame, but doesn't bother me much. Changing spell names sucks. I was used to the old ones. And they don't even make sense. 'Pop'? Why make them more confusing?

Gattsu25

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
As for the 'hair conspiracy', if you never played/saw it in the JP game, here it is:

jp100t.png

vs

17.jpg
oh my goodness what a travesty i shall complain about this on an online internet videogaming forum that is the worst thing i have ever seen how dare they

Red Scarlet

You do that. I love how people can't show dislike towards something about a game not released, yet any praise is seen as not a problem at all. Kudos, Wakune.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wakune! They have tarnished the Imperial Scrolls of Honor! As such, they must be verbally smeared, tarred, and feathered! GAF is my weapon of choice!

Johnas

The spell name-changing is utterly asinine, no matter how you look at it. Somebody's earlier Snoop reference was right on. With each piece of news I am growing more disappointed with this "intense focus on localization". Did they expect increased sales by calling Blazemore "Kafrizzle" or whatever? There is no logic in that. The changing of the sound effects is also disappointing. I'm playing through VII right now, and the sound effects are one of the highlights for me, after constantly looking at chunky, three-times too large menus and icons. I know that DQVIII will still be awesome, but it's disheartening to see the changes being made. It could have been even more special to fans of the series.

Oh, hi Scarlet. :)

Gattsu25

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
img.pl

This screen scares me. Can you directly control your entire party in this one? The auto-fighting really bothered me in DQ4.
One of the options is "Follow Orders" so I would guess no ):

Johnas

Jonnyboy117 said:
img.pl

This screen scares me. Can you directly control your entire party in this one? The auto-fighting really bothered me in DQ4.

If it's like VII, the default setup is automatic, you just have to go in once and change each character to manual.

Scarlet surely would have mentioned if it was automatic, so it's safe to assume you have nothing to fear.

Red Scarlet

Like dog$ said. I can't find where it was said about the sound effects, maybe it was in an interview with Horii. I don't know if they were changed or not, but I think an interview said that they were going to be.

madara

Red Scarlet said:
Like dog$ said. I can't find where it was said about the sound effects, maybe it was in an interview with Horii. I don't know if they were changed or not, but I think an interview said that they were going to be.

Wow, so If I understand this right its believed that the sounds effects and themes that have been with this game since the series inception are no longer? Not even more updated versions, just replaced? Dang..those spell changes are beyond bizarre as well.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not the music, no. But the sound fx... maybe. Koichi Sugiyama is still the composer, and the Overture is still very much there! (I think...)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I laugh at SE pathethic attempt to sell this game somehow

DBZ super sayain-like power up for the main character
Changing the menu layout(at least this is a good one)
"4 million people obsessed!" seriously wtf?
changing the spells name I mean "sizz", "frizz"? that shit is completely retarded

I'm still buying the game but c'mon some of the changes are unnecesary and totally uncalled for.

dog$ said:
For chrissakes.

You could turn off AI assisted party members since DQ5. On SFC.

Those of us who don't speak Japanese and avoided DQ7 (read: 97% of all gamers outside Japan) wouldn't know that. I'm very glad to hear it though. It was really annoying in DQ4, although I still loved that game.

Bobety

At first I was impressed that they were making such an effort in the localisation (voice acting, new menu etc). And although it was a waste of time, effort and money, the super saiyan hair didn't really bother me either...But changing the sound effects sucks, I know the classic sound effects might sound stupid to someone who had never played DQ before, but I really like those beeps for some reason :(, I hope they include an option to switch to classic sounds...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
a question for Red Scarlet if I enjoyed DQ7 (sure never finished the game but I enjoyed what I played) will I like DQ8?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm not pleased with the minor changes, as I'm pretty traditional when it comes to series, but its still DQ, right? It's probably too much of a task for my Japanese level. Stupid kanji. *grumble*

Red Scarlet

Mejilan said:
Bang actually was an original name.

Edit - Did they get rid of Explodet? :(:(:(:(

I'm sure they will. Go Boom/Kaboom/Koblooey or something.

Error2k4 said:
a question for Red Scarlet if I enjoyed DQ7 (sure never finished the game but I enjoyed what I played) will I like DQ8?

It depends on what you liked about DQ7. If you liked the job system or collecting slab things to open a new miniworld, 8 has neither of those aspects. 8 plays like the earlier ones to me than 6 or 7. I know Shouta has gone through the game, but I'm not sure who else. John_tv and Bebpo stopped playing through them, and hence sux.

john tv

Red Scarlet said:
I'm sure they will. Go Boom/Kaboom/Koblooey or something.

It depends on what you liked about DQ7. If you liked the job system or collecting slab things to open a new miniworld, 8 has neither of those aspects. 8 plays like the earlier ones to me than 6 or 7. I know Shouta has gone through the game, but I'm not sure who else. John_tv and Bebpo stopped playing through them, and hence sux.
I'm waiting for the US version. :) It looks fantastic! Not happy about the spell names, but what can you do. That was the one thing I thought they did fairly well in the previous US versions (not skill names -- just spell names). I'll miss stuff like Bang, Boom, Explodet... Upper, Increase... I hope they reconsider and decide to keep those for the US. The recent Enix America-localized versions were total shit, but the old ones that NOA started and then assisted with (1-4) were very good. They had good names for items, equipment, spells, etc.

I realize I'm too hardcore for my own good when it comes to DQ, but that's what happens when you've been playing the games religiously for almost 20 years... :p

Anyway, the people localizing it rock, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a really great English version. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Red Scarlet said:
Maybe someone that can go to one of the mall demo things can investigate. Supposedly, the tour dates/locations are:

August:
FRI 19 - Garden City, NY - Roosevelt Field (1-7PM)
SAT 20 - Lake Grove, NY - Smith Haven Mall (3-9PM)

What is this mall demo tour thing? I'll probably make the trip out to Rooseevlt Field this Fri, Smith Haven is like 2 minutes away from my house but I'm gonna be in the city all day Sat seeing Paul Van Dyk.

Red Scarlet

According to what people have said (at gamefaqs), there's demo kiosks set up somewhere in the mall (maybe a game store, maybe a special booth area just in the mall) that you can try the game out, and they have contests or something that you can win prizes like T-shirts. At least that's what they're saying over there.

The closest ones to me are in California; a day away. If you happen to go and it's there, post an update!

You still sux though, john! :lol

I'm giving a hero solo game a whirl now.

belgurdo

Banned
Vargas said:
KaFrizzle? You have got to be shitting me.

Someone on Something Awful explained the spell names. In Japan, the names of DQ spells are all either nonsense words or onomatoepeia, so they basically went in that direction for the US release

Top Bottom