• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores (Halo 2 = GTA:SA > MGS3 > MP 2)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Thanks to vireland(confirmed by ferricide) and skip

MGS 3 9, 9.5, 10
NFSU 2 8, 9, 8
GTA:SA 10,10,10 (GOTM)
Halo 2 10,10,10 (GOTM)
MP:2 9, 9, 10
Killzone 7, 7.5, 8
Mario tennis 9, 7.5, 8
Outrun 2 6, 6.5, 8
Baten Kaitos 6.5, 8, 7.5
GODZILLA SAVE THE EARTH 6.0, 4.5, 5.5
FIGHT CLUB 2.5, 3.0, 2.0
Growlanser Generations 7,7,8
RC3 9, 9, 10

and yes they deserve their own thread after that BS 6 pager

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
greenbanana.gif
=
bluebanana.gif
>
purplebanana.gif

Joe

its amazing two of the best sequels ever (mgs3, mp2) will get completely lost in the shuffle :lol

wow halo2 and gta:sa are gonna go blow for blow.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't agree with the GTA and MGS3 numbers at all. Turn it the other way around and then we're in business. MGS3>>>>>>>>>>GTA SA.

Socreges

Banned
Well, I can pretty safely assume now that MGS3 doesn't fall apart midway through. Though I'd really like to know what each reviewer thought of MGS2.

AlphaSnake said:
I don't agree with the GTA and MGS3 numbers at all. Turn it the other way around and then we're in business. MGS3>>>>>>>>>>GTA SA.
Superficially compare MGS3 to MGS3, please. Like, better story, better consistency, etc.

Joe

all these sequels living up to their hype is just insanity.

is it possible to have 5 goty's?

efralope said:
that sucks, MP got 3 10's, basically they are saying this one is a downgrade...

Or that it doesn't quite meet up with the high expectations of a sequel to a 10/10/10 title...not necessarily a downgrade.

Mrbob

Hot damn. MGS3 the real deal this time? No bullshit?!

MGS2 was a good game. But between the Raiden situation and those long as fuck codec conversations (Especially in the last hour of the game ugh) it nearly killed the whole experience. I've been worried the same thing is gonna happen with MGS3.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ferricide said:
oh, may as well. I LIKE CONTROVERSY

I GAVE BATEN KAITOS A 6.5

fennec fox gave it an 8 and DFS 7.5

:(

it could have been solid, but YOU had to go and ruin it.

:D

Dead

well not really...yet
ferricide said:
oh, may as well. I LIKE CONTROVERSY

I GAVE BATEN KAITOS A 6.5

fennec fox gave it an 8 and DFS 7.5
Id ask why the low score but I might as well just buy the mag hunh :p

deadlifter said:
:(

it could have been solid, but YOU had to go and ruin it.

:D
heh, reminds me of the Chrono Cross fiasko. Wouldve been straight 10s if not for that bastard Greg Sewart (I think it was him if my "why the fuck do I remember this" memory doesnt fail me.)

ferricide

Crazymoogle said:
My question for you is, out of all the RPG/mostly-RPG disappointments this year, which one of those do you like the most? BK? SO3? Something else?
i am not really sure how to answer that question. out of the disappointments? i was more disappointed with SO3 cos it had more at stake. BK i went in with no expectations and ended up still feeling like it squandered its opportunities. what else goes on that list? i gave everything else 8+, that i reviewed anyway.

skip

Mrbob said:

MGS2 was a good game. But between the Raiden situation and those long as fuck codec conversations (Especially in the last hour of the game ugh) it nearly killed the whole experience.

as far as story goes, it's a lot more cutscene than radio convos. very well done, imo.

Alcibiades

Not sure if they have "sequels to 10" grading or what you are referring to, but if MP2 was a better game or equal to the first, I'm sure the scores would have matched, obviously they felt it wasn't as good...

I'll reserve judgement till I play it, but my guess is they think the first one's better for some reason (I also won't read the review till after I played it to avoid spoilers)...

Deku Tree

efralope said:
Not sure if they have "sequels to 10" grading or what you are referring to, but if MP2 was a better game or equal to the first, I'm sure the scores would have matched, obviously they felt it wasn't as good...

I'll reserve judgement till I play it, but my guess is they think the first one's better for some reason (I also won't read the review till after I played it to avoid spoilers)...

Or maybe they thought it was better that the first, but not as good as GTA:SA, Halo 2 & MGS3.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
skip said:
as far as story goes, it's a lot more cutscene than radio convos. very well done, imo.

Wow, that sounds nice.

Question for the reviewers. Why was GTA's score not penalized for the somewhat shoddy framerate? I've only played a few hours of the game, but it was noticable.

Mrbob

skip said:

Cool. After MGS2, I always figured that MGS3 was one big backlash waiting to happen if Konami trudged down the same path. Looks like they wisened up and deserve the kudos for doing so. I loved MGS but the amount of crap that was put into MGS2 (Especially in terms of storyline) really disappointed me.

Joe

so whats the tally up to now? 5 seperate magazines giving halo2 a PERFECT score? thats 5 of 6 magazines?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Joe said:
so whats the tally up to now? 5 seperate magazines giving halo2 a PERFECT score? thats 5 of 6 magazines?

Looks like it's going to be the game that is the posterchild for this generation.

Seth C

efralope said:

I think a sequel to a game that scored all 10s w ould need to be better than the first, otherwise it would be a relative letdown.

Meier

It's hard to imagine how many AAA games are coming out within a month period... just about unfathomable. Great time to be a gamer. :D

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
skip said:
nobody who reviewed gta posts on teh gaf, just fyi.

Do you have any idea why they didn't deduct any points because of the framerate? Sorry i'm just curious about this.

Mrbob

It's a shame EGM didn't make an exception for one month and get some reviews for Half LIfe 2 as well to join in the review fun! :D

skip

deadlifter said:
Do you have any idea why they didn't deduct any points, sorry i'm just curious about this.

not sure, haven't read their reviews yet (in the process of writing mine).

bandicoot - 9, 9, 10

skip

ferricide said:
shane (10), bryan (9.5), mark (9).

EDIT: DAMNIT DUELING WITH SKIP WHAT IS THIS TRASH

we don't even work for them, AND I have better things I should be doing right now!@

Meier

The Mario Tennis scores are very solid (Silver), but I cant imagine it's anything less than a solid 8. Who gave it a 7.5?

Socreges

Banned
Mrbob said:

MGS2 was a good game. But between the Raiden situation and those long as fuck codec conversations (Especially in the last hour of the game ugh) it nearly killed the whole experience. I've been worried the same thing is gonna happen with MGS3.
MGS3 EGM average: 9.5
MGS2 EGM average: 9.5

So I wouldn't draw any inferences from just the scores.

Mrbob

Poor Nintendo fans. This is like a triple blow for them. MP2 scores two 9s and a 10 and it still puts the game in 4th place for the monthly reviews. Not beating the big boys probably would have been acceptable but also being dethroned by MGS3 is gonna push them over the top! HIDE EGM GUYS HIDE.

MGS3 EGM average: 9.5
MGS2 EGM average: 9.5

So I wouldn't draw any inferences from just the scores.

Well the reason I would is that while MGS2 scored high, it was also a game that scored high because of him. Now, for this reason, I expected MGS3 scores to be lower (Like 7s and 8s) as reviewers wouldn't fall for the same trick again. I always felt they would be looking for a reason to knock down the score but it didn't happen.

Top Bottom