• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores (Halo 2 = GTA:SA > MGS3 > MP 2)

Socreges

Banned
Mrbob said:
Poor Nintendo fans. This is like a triple blow for them. MP2 scores two 9s and a 10 and it still puts the game in 4th place for the monthly reviews. Not beating the big boys probably would have been acceptable but also being dethroned by MGS3 is gonna push them over the top! HIDE EGM GUYS HIDE.

Well the reason I would is that while MGS2 scored high, it was also a game that scored high because of him. Now, for this reason, I expected MGS3 scores to be lower (Like 7s and 8s) as reviewers wouldn't fall for the same trick again. I always felt they would be looking for a reason to knock down the score but it didn't happen.
Uh, they played through MGS2 before giving it such high scores. You confuse me.

Bandicoot

Hmm once you add the 9, 9, 10 on to gamerankings for RC3 it should make up for the 8.7 at Gamespot. Only missed MGS3 buy .5! =P

Socreges said:
MGS3 EGM average: 9.5
MGS2 EGM average: 9.5

So I wouldn't draw any inferences from just the scores.

Yeah, I thought of this too, but if I recall, at least one of the guys who reviewed MGS2 expressed regret that he scored it so high. The backlash against the game is significant enough that I consider MGS3 getting the same average to be an impressive achievement. I may just check it out after all.

skip

deadlifter said:
Whos are yous?

Can the EGM guys confirm this?

that's not really true. the reviewers praise it for its challenge and length. I've played through to the end and it took me quite a while with only 80% item rating.

paul777

Banned
EDIT: ^ Ok, that's better. But what do they knock it on?

Hmm, length? That's odd. I distinctly remember reading some article or interview on the game where the length was said to be at least as long as the first.

Mrbob

Socreges said:
Uh, they played through MGS2 before giving it such high scores. You confuse me.

Yeah, I realize this. But when it was released the game was THE BIG THING that year (No one really knew about GTA3 at the time) so it seemed like some of the major flaws got glossed over.

SomeDude

Banned
Well the fact is I think alot of magazines are knocking points on Metroid Prime 2 echoes and Mario Tennis since they aren't online, and IMO I think they should.

skip

^ to clear something up right away, bryan called the multiplayer a disappointment and still gave it a 10.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
skip said:
that's not really true. the reviewers praise it for its challenge and length. I've played through to the end and it took me quite a while with only 80% item rating.

Thanks.

SomeDude said:
Metroid Prime 2 got knocked because it is a little on the short side.

SomeDude, stop spouting shit you have no clue about.

skip said:

M-m-multiplayer? *knife at the ready*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
WAIT....dont start yet! my popcorns not ready!

corncob.jpg

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Duke Juan the Beast said:
If this turns out to be true I can see people coming down hard on the multiplayer for stealing dev time from the sp. Still an awesome score though.

He's talking out of his ass.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
SomeDude said:
So if a game has some flaws, it can still be given a perfect score?

Case in point: GTA:SA

It has obvious framrate problem, but the experience is so great it still earns perfect 10s

skip

in my personal opinion, there's nothing about MP2's 1P campaign that indicates misallocated resources.

M3wThr33

Banned
This reminds me of something magazines could try to do. When lisitng scores for games, also show scores for previous titles in the series and list specific pros/cons between the sequel AND on its own. It's a little more work, but thay way someone who liked the first or someone who didn't can easily see how it applies to them.
I know reviews try to incorporate that in the actual text, but a quick smaller score above the other numbers of the previous titles would be enough, just to track a series.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Seems to me most reviewers start at 1 and work their way up depending on their experience, not at 10 working their way down with each tiny flaw.

p.s. Microwaves rock

popcorn29.jpg

ok GO

Mrbob

Bacon said:
So, what were some of the flaws of Prime 2?

Multiplayer. As been explained in this thread. Reading that multiplayer in MP2 is disappointing nearly brings a tear to me eye! :D

Hawt lock on split screen multiplayer action is vastly underrated!

Deku Tree

skip said:
in my personal opinion, there's nothing about MP2's 1P campaign that indicates misallocated resources.

That's good to know. I loved the first one and i'm sure to love Echoes too.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Mrbob said:
Multiplayer. As been explained in this thread. Reading that multiplayer in MP2 is disappointing nearly brings a tear to me eye! :D

Oh what would this board be without you bob?!!!

:lol

skip said:
the ds arrived just a couple days ago, so those'll be in everyone's next issues.

Gracias

thorns

Banned
What did PoP get?

So Halo 2 DOES live up to the hype? A bit ironic the only place it didn't get a 10 was OXM :lol
Seems GTA: SA and Halo 2 are in a different league compared to the other games this generation.

Socreges

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah, I realize this. But when it was released the game was THE BIG THING that year (No one really knew about GTA3 at the time) so it seemed like some of the major flaws got glossed over.
Alright, I see what you're saying. TBH, I kind of thought the same thing.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Drat, if its the multiplayer that caused the scores to go down, then Nintendo and Retro better not spend any resources on it the next time and just go full steam with the single player.

ferricide

Ghost said:
10/10 isnt a perfect score?

*sigh* fucking journalists.
semantics.

sure, it's the best score possible on a 1 - 10 scale. hence, in some sense, it is a 'perfect score'.

however, it does not imply the game is perfect and without flaws. duh.

skip

Duke Juan the Beast said:
Well, everything sounds great then. What kept it from it from scoring 3 aces? Difficulty?

I don't want to give too much away (it's a kickass issue, really one of their best, you should all buy it), and I'm sure mark will eventually show up in this thread. but people will have issues with a) control scheme, b) difficulty, and c) ...er, well...key hunting. I'm also not a fan of the near-total detachment from the usual metroid staples.

SomeDude

Banned
ferricide said:
semantics.

sure, it's the best score possible on a 1 - 10 scale. hence, in some sense, it is a 'perfect score'.

however, it does not imply the game is perfect and without flaws. duh.

OK.

Top Bottom