• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New evidence suggests a ninth planet lurking at the edge of the solar system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he is a bad director to his actors but he knows what he is doing. The opening to Antichrist is an audiovisual Feast.

The first part of your statement I agree with.

Other than that: Antichrist is pure tripe. I make no bones about that. The whole production is an exercise in pretentiousness.

FStop7

Banned
Name the new planet Pluto.

Rename the former non-planet Pluto "butthole" or something because nobody cares about its non-planetary ass.

Everyone wins.

Except for poor Charon. :(

zeroroute

Banned
I'm waiting for religious scholars to proclaim that the Torah/bible/Quran predicted a 10th planet.

Rev 8:10-11 "And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp…And the name of the star is called Wormwood…and many men died…"

Planet Nine is icy so this doesn't add up

Name the new planet Pluto.

Rename the former non-planet Pluto "butthole" or something because nobody cares about its non-planetary ass.

Everyone wins.

Except for poor Charon. :(
FqqdjNW.jpg

Oozer3993

Such a plant has long been suspected to exist, hasn't it? The reason they found Pluto is because of perturbations of Neptune's orbit, which they proposed came from a bigger planet further out. When Pluto was found, everyone was surprised because it did not explain the pull on Neptune's orbit. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that multiple times over the years. Maybe I'm getting confused with something else, I dunno.

Very exciting if something is there.

Yup. There were discrepancies between the calculated orbit of Uranus, using the estimated mass of it and Neptune, and its actual orbit. Voyager 2 provided a more accurate mass for Neptune when it flew past, which erased the discrepancy though.

Interesting. In 2014 NASA was pretty sure it didn't exist:

http://earthsky.org/science-wire/planet-x-still-doesnt-exist

It's cool they monitored orbits of other things to infer it's existence indirectly. If the closest approach is 7 Neptunes and the further approach was something like 40 Neptunes,would we actually be able to "see" this planet in the visible light spectrum? Like if we were hypothetically able to reach it one day.

It seems that survey eliminated planets of very large size (larger than Saturn). The calculated mass of this planet is less than that, so it could have been missed by the survey.

The astronomy world is going to be looking EVERYWHERE for this planet. Almost every telescope will be pointed at its theoretical trajectories. Give it 4 months. It'll turn up. It'll probably be similar to Uranus. A gas giant thats not very active. Maybe a few storms.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It's incredible that we can find planets that are light years away but we can't even find planets that are light minutes away.

N.Domixis

Banned
It's incredible that we can find planets that are light years away but we can't even find planets that are light minutes away.

The planets we find far away are found using techniques like wobble and transition across the surface of the star that would not work for a planet that is far away from a star sitting in complete darkness having very small influence on the stars wobble. Many of the planets we find are also very big and close to its star.

Log4Girlz

Those planets tend to be near massive light sources which reflect way more light. Smaller planets are detected by their disruption of their stars light from our perspective. We basically have targets.

This planet would be massively far away and we have no idea of where in the sky to look. I mean, if we knew exactly where to look we can find it. So it takes a monster telescope to see something planet sized. So from our vantage point its basically a microscopic organism that can be anywhere in the sky.

I have trouble finding bacteria in a goddamn microscope.

ibyea

Banned
This is pretty amazing. I would have thought any object that big would have been discovered long ago once scientists were able to account for gravity pull of planets.

Kuiper belts objects are mostly very recent discoveries, starting from the 90s, and Earth sized planets don't tug that big. So finding small objects in the outer fringe that can have noticeable tugs by an Earth sized planet is something that could have only happened recently.

Wasn't there a theory like this proposed years ago? About something massive out there flinging comets into the inner solar system?

Or did I just make that up in my head?

Parch

This planet would be massively far away and we have no idea of where in the sky to look. I mean, if we knew exactly where to look we can find it. So it takes a monster telescope to see something planet sized. So from our vantage point its basically a microscopic organism that can be anywhere in the sky.
Yeah, isn't it probable that it's not even possible to see from earth based telescopes? Pluto was known to exist for decades but the best picture we could get was a blurry dot until we did the fly by last year. Stars are easy to see, but planets at that distance are extremely difficult to see.

DiscoJer

Wasn't there a theory like this proposed years ago? About something massive out there flinging comets into the inner solar system?

Or did I just make that up in my head?

There is a long, long, long, long history of people proclaiming that there is another planet out there based on various things (usually perturbations in orbits, which is actually what led people to look for Pluto, but in that was a coincidence since it's not massive enough for that and then later it turned out the data about Nepture's orbit was just not accurate enough to imply there was another planet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_beyond_Neptune

The planets we find far away are found using techniques like wobble and transition across the surface of the star that would not work for a planet that is far away from a star sitting in complete darkness having very small influence on the stars wobble. Many of the planets we find are also very big and close to its star.

Considering it's estimated between Earth and Jupiter size you'd think we'd have a better detection method for NEOs.

Funny part here is there are two planets theorised here and neither has actual data, detection or visual indications. The whole news is currently based on simulation modelling.

We will see what comes of it...

Amusingly, one of the astronomers who proposed this (Mike Brown) is the same person who 'killed' Pluto 10 years ago.

Cool tidbit, now the planet will be called Phoenix

N.Domixis

Banned
if its there, and based on how long ot took us to see Plutos surface, I don't expect I'll ever get to see this planet's surface. I think I read its 7 times farther than pluto.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They should call it All-New All-Different Pluto.

Let's say they figure out exactly where it is and point a telescope at it. Are we going to get better images from telescopes than the 4 pixel Pluto ones we had up until recently?

Irminsul

We need to call it Yuggoth.

Yuggoth... is a strange dark orb at the very rim of our solar system... There are mighty cities on Yuggoth—great tiers of terraced towers built of black stone... The sun shines there no brighter than a star, but the beings need no light. They have other subtler senses, and put no windows in their great houses and temples... The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges—things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids—ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen...
Yup.

In a galaxy far far away...a young jedi seeked out into unknown realms of the galaxy and found an abandoned jedi temple nearby a little dwarf icy planet on a massive black planet...nearby planets seems unhabited unless a blue marble which seems to gone under the radar of the Empire as well as the Rebellion...seeking out the explaination for the jedi temple he found out that the inhabitants of that blue marble but play a bigger role in that mystery....

EYEL1NER

I like Terminus, because, ya know, "goal, end, final point," from Latin terminus (plural termini) "end, boundary line".

"In ancient Rome, Terminus was the name of the deity who presided over boundaries and landmarks, focus of the important Roman festival of Terminalia (held Feb. 23, the end of the old Roman year)."

Too perfect.
It is a cool-sounding name but I don't think it would be a good choice unless we were absolutely sure that there were no more planets further out in the Solar System that we would ever discover. I mean, why pick a name that means "final point" if it's possible we could discover a planet a bit further away than Terminus next week?

I vote that they go with a name that starts with the letter "P," so I can teach my daughter My Very Eager Mother Just Sat Upon Nine Pizzas now that she is starting to do science stuff at school and have it be accurate again.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It legitimately could be called somethingcool like dune or foundation, but let's see what they decide for when they find it in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom