• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New evidence suggests a ninth planet lurking at the edge of the solar system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesha

So, because I got bored, I cross-referenced a bunch of fitting names largely from the Roman pantheon with a list of names for existing asteroids, an grouped them into two categories of names for existing asteroids and unused names.

Used

Janus
Juno
Hekate
Cerberus
Kerberos
Nyx
Ceres
Vesta
Minerva
Diana
Proserpina
Ops
Flora
Victoria
Salacia
Chaos

Unused

Erebus
Tenebra
Caligo
Nox
Hecate
Trivia
Caelus
Vulcan
Hercules
Discordia
Faunus
Silvanus
Silvan
Priapus
Tartarus
Somnus
Liber
Libertas
Quirinus
Nihil

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Surprising to see this.

Sesha

Not a good one!

giphy.gif

X-Frame

So, because I got bored, I cross-referenced a bunch of fitting names largely from the Roman pantheon with a list of names for existing asteroids, an grouped them into two categories of names for existing asteroids and unused names.

Used

<snip>

Unused

Erebus

Erebus caught my eye. According to Wikipedia, "The perceived meaning of Erebus is "darkness"; the first recorded instance of it was a "place of darkness between Earth and Hades."

Perfect!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are the Voyager probes already past this planets orbit? I think they are. Anyone care to look into this?

If the 10,000 year orbit estimate is accurate then no. But the Voyager probes at this point have very minimal functionality, and there is not enough power to use the camera in the very, very unlikely event it were on a path that took it anywhere near the planet.

cameron

Are the Voyager probes already past this planets orbit? I think they are. Anyone care to look into this?

Voyager 1 and 2 are ~134 AU and 110 AU away from the sun. http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/where/

Estimates for Planet 9's elliptical orbit is 200 AU to 1200 AU away from the sun. It's only useful to compare distances here, since all 3 are off the ecliptic plane at different degrees. The trajectory of the probes would never cross paths with the planet's orbit.

AlStrong

So when we start actually naming planets in other solar systems are we just gonna shift to other pantheons?
neogaf usernames?

Name the new planet Pluto.

Rename the former non-planet Pluto "butthole" or something because nobody cares about its non-planetary ass.

Everyone wins.

Except for poor Charon. :(
We already have Uranus. Myanus? Theiranus? Heranus? Hisanus?

Sejanus.

So if a planet on the outskirts of our solar system could exist without our knowledge for so long, couldn't a planet in our galaxy, or even solar system, house life as intelligent as ours, but they are also incapable of detecting us?

They pretty much have to name it Nibiru. After so many doubts and laughs to those that believed (with evidence or otherwise), we have to call it that.

Herne

Hasnt it been suggested that the current configuration of the solar system is difficult to recreate in simulations unless they allow for another planet to have been here earlier, and ejected by Jupiter. Wonder if this might help simulates of the creation of the solar system?

Very interesting theory, haven't heard of this one before.

Yup. There were discrepancies between the calculated orbit of Uranus, using the estimated mass of it and Neptune, and its actual orbit. Voyager 2 provided a more accurate mass for Neptune when it flew past, which erased the discrepancy though.

Oh :/

OraleeWey

I saw a YouTube video and its estimated to make a full orbit around the sun in 15,000 years. The same video said that they might find it within the next 5 years.

Correction, 20,000 years

kM6IRaDh.jpg

gutshot

So if a planet on the outskirts of our solar system could exist without our knowledge for so long, couldn't a planet in our galaxy, or even solar system, house life as intelligent as ours, but they are also incapable of detecting us?

Galaxy, yes. No one has ever ruled out intelligent life in our own galaxy. In fact, we're actively looking for it with projects like Kepler and SETI.

But extraterrestrial intelligent life in our own solar system? No way. There could be life in our solar system, but it would likely be microbial life which is impossible for us to detect unless we send a probe down to the surface.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Relevant XKCD for today:

possible_undiscovered_planets.png

Alt-Text:
"Superman lies near the bird/plane boundary over a range of distances, which explains the confusion."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom