• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXVI Footage shown at PAX East

God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Fredrik

Yeah man this game would be so much better if, instead of this awesome action combat, you just sat there picking “attack” from a menu over and over.
Eh? It wouldn’t just be about picking attack over and over, not even the worst turn-based RPGs are like that. It would be a different game, a more strategic game, you would have to be both offensive and defensive and plan ahead with the whole spectrum of moves for your group of characters to handle bigger fights.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
A chocobo looks more similar to this extinct bird in mass and skull size:

fhqgcjdshyf21.jpg

If this bird saw me or you in an open plain it would chase us down.
They have similarities but these guys have much bigger beak compare to Chocobo.
XLhzhG5.png

I would say they much more similar to Ostrich since they have long necks and big bodies and their beak is not all that big.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Eh? It wouldn’t just be about picking attack over and over, not even the worst turn-based RPGs are like that. It would be a different game, a more strategic game, you would have to be both offensive and defensive and plan ahead with the whole spectrum of moves for your group of characters to handle bigger fights.
So, nothing like any of the Final Fantasy games? Maybe you should just play something else

Myths

Like … 15 years ago in the FNC XIII era this would be exciting just to read about (let alone hear) alongside a tri-weekly Famitsu leak. Now days? Meh.

That’s nothing to say about the game itself as it appears they’ve placed a great deal of effort.

Last edited:

Fredrik

So, nothing like any of the Final Fantasy games? Maybe you should just play something else
Are you saying you can go through any of the older turn-based FF just picking attack over and over?

Old FF used to have deep thoughtful battles where your support characters for buffing and dealing with status changes and healing was just as important as the one slashing a sword.

If you want to try that style but hate old games you should try Sakaguchi’s Fantasian, it’s by no means perfect but you can clearly see the old FF roots, definitely not just about picking attack over and over, and it looks really good too.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Yeah man this game would be so much better if, instead of this awesome action combat, you just sat there picking “attack” from a menu over and over.
Attack, Magic, Summon, Defend, Item, Switch party member, etc
Stuff that requires actually thinking, specially if there is a proper class system (like FF9).
Unlike boring button mashing with blinding light effects and combo counting pop ups, like the game is afraid the player attention span is so short that if there aren't strong flashing light effects and pop ups every 2 seconds on the screen the player might quit the game and go play something else.

I’m surprised to see how fast paced Eikons battles are, I guess each Eikons battles is going to be different from each other.

This year we got Octopath 2 with FANTASTIC turn based combat, complete with job system.
Listen: I’m a fan of ARPG’s, ok? And XVI looks very fun, even though I’ve been a fan of the series for 21 years now.

But you’re acting intentionally obtuse when you’re basically telling the user to shut up by suggesting Octopath Traveler 2. “I know you want FFXVI to be turn-based, but why complain? Here’s a SPRITE-BASED game with a vignette-based story. Be happy!” Come. On.

Last edited:
Honestly, I’d rather have everyone keep airing their grievances out now in threads like these, than shitting up the |OT| with posts about wanting turn based combat.

Danjin44

Listen: I’m a fan of ARPG’s, ok? And XVI looks very fun, even though I’ve been a fan of the series for 21 years now.

But you’re acting intentionally obtuse when you’re basically telling the user to shut up by suggesting Octopath Traveler 2. “I know you want FFXVI to be turn-based, but why complain? Here’s a SPRITE-BASED game with a vignette-based story. Be happy!” Come. On.
Every thread about FFXVI people keep whining over and over again about not being turn based, at some point it just gets tiring. From very first trailer It showed FFXVI is going to be ARPG, so how long people going continue to cry about it?

Fredrik

Every thread about FFXVI people keep whining over and over again about not being turn based, at some point it just gets tiring. From very first trailer It showed FFXVI is going to be ARPG, so how long people going continue to cry about it?
And why do you think that is? FF is at it’s 16th iteration by now and lots of people here has played them since the first one, and how many FF has been realtime ARPGs so far?
Nobody should be surprised that there are complaints. Try make Street Fighter turn-based and see how that goes. Even if the quality is top-notch it’s not the same game.

This, I understand. Trying to get people to shut up by saying “here’s Octopath Traveler 2, or (insert low-budget weeb game),” I don’t understand.

Danjin44

This, I understand. Trying to get people to shut up by saying “here’s Octopath Traveler 2, or (insert low-budget weeb game),” I don’t understand.
I recommend Octopath 2 because it’s fantastic RPG with turn based combat if you craving for one. Currently it’s one of my favourite game this year.

And why do you think that is? FF is at it’s 16th iteration by now and lots of people here has played them since the first one, and how many FF has been realtime ARPGs so far?
Nobody should be surprised that there are complaints. Try make Street Fighter turn-based and see how that goes. Even if the quality is top-notch it’s not the same game.
Yeah, while FF is still by far and away my favorite series, at some point there has to be more than just chocobos and magic spell names that the games have in common. I get giving FF directors a good degree of creative freedom but we’re going from an open world camping simulator with multi-media (dogshit) storytelling to a very action-oriented, story-focused, self-proclaimed “rollercoaster ride” of a game.

Like… I personally can’t think of any other series that has this much of a lack of consistency, and I don’t think that’s a good thing.

At some point, the fans that yell “STOP WHINING ABOUT CHANGE” might end up having things they love removed in another FF and they’ll change their tune.

Danjin44

Through out each FF series, Square has been changing and experimenting with FF’s combat system, this has been know for long time.

I’m BIG fan of turn based combat but the fact is you never gonna see high budget AAA rpg with turn based combat because unfortunately it won’t sell as much. Atlus can still make turn based with SMT/Persona because their games is not high budget compare to FF series.

Last edited:
I recommend Octopath 2 because it’s fantastic RPG with turn based combat if you craving for one. Currently it’s one of my favourite game this year.
I don’t think it’s hard to understand that people who are disappointed in XVI not being turn-based might think your suggestion of OT2, a sprite-based, much lower budget game, with vigette storytelling, is silly.

At some point, the fans that yell “STOP WHINING ABOUT CHANGE” might end up having things they love removed in another FF and they’ll change their tune.
I don't see anything in the OP's post that pointed the thread in this direction. I don't see any hint that the OP wanted this thread to be yet another Turn based vs action FF thread. On the contrary, this derail started at post number 3.

The people who are asking others to stop whining aren't clicking into the thread to make this take, they're responding to the whining that already took place before they even entered.

I don't see anything in the OP's post that pointed the thread in this direction. I don't see any hint that the OP wanted this thread to be yet another Turn based vs action FF thread. On the contrary, this derail started at post number 3.

The people who are asking others to stop whining aren't clicking into the thread to make this take, they're responding to the whining that already took place before they even entered.
That had absolutely nothing to do with anything I said.

Danjin44

I don’t think it’s hard to understand that people who are disappointed in XVI not being turn-based might think your suggestion of OT2, a sprite-based, much lower budget game, with vigette storytelling, is silly.
Thats only way we gonna see turn based RPG. Unfortunately they are niche and wont sell as much.

I LOVE turn base combat and I will always support games like Octopath for that reason but you won’t see me whine about it every fucking thread about why FFXVI is not turn based.

We are also literally getting FF pixel remaster, people have the option to play those if they want much more turn based combat in their FF.

Last edited:
Thats only way we gonna see turn based RPG. Unfortunately they are niche and wont sell as much.

I LOVE turn base combat and I will always support games like Octopath for that reason but you won’t see me whine about it every fucking thread about why FFXVI is not turn based.
Like I said, I understand your frustration and point-of-view. For the last time, I just think you trying to get the people whining to shut up by suggesting games with a much lower budget, is silly.

Last edited:
That had absolutely nothing to do with anything I said.
I'll be more direct with my take. Danjin44 Danjin44 is right in the response that was made. It's way more constructive to recommend other games than counter-whining. The fact that a game recommendation was even made in the first place to someone who came into a thread just to whine and derail the topic is admirable.

I'll be more direct with my take. Danjin44 Danjin44 is right in the response that was made. It's way more constructive to recommend other games than counter-whining. The fact that a game recommendation was even made in the first place to someone who came into a thread just to whine and derail the topic is admirable.
On one hand, I agree that, especially at this point, whining about XVI not being turn-based is the most unproductive thing in the world. On the other hand, I do think that SE should take a large amount of the blame for cultivating such a perpetually unhappy fanbase. Minus the, um, Yoshi-P stans (referring to the XIV fans lol).

Last edited:
On one hand, I agree that, especially at this point, whining about XVI not being turn-based is the most unproductive thing in the world. On the other hand, I do think that SE should take a large amount of the blame for cultivating such a perpetually unhappy fanbase. Minus the, um, Yoshi-P stans (referring to the XIV fans lol).
The cold truth is that FF is too transformative of a brand to be what any fan(of any game within that brand) wants it to be.

It’s like that one music artist who keeps switching their style nearly every other album so that a fan couldn’t really say that the musician was just known for one thing.

For some reason certain fans can’t seem to realize this, and instead want the brand to be the same formula again and again like Persona, which is an example of a franchise that turn based FF fans should be rooting for instead.

This is the wrong IP to attach to if you want that sort of sameness and cohesion. I realized this by FF8. The fact that we’re double in number at this point nearly 30 years later and others haven’t realized it…it baffles me.

Danjin44

For some reason certain fans can’t seem to realize this, and instead want the brand to be the same formula again and again like Persona, which is an example of a franchise that turn based FF fans should be rooting for instead.
Persona also drastically changed after Persona 2 with Persona 3 and so did Shin Megami Tensei after Nocturne.

Dis

Turn based critique is valid
But i’ll take it if FF looks THIS good.

We havent had this good dialogue, characters, story, VA and premise since FFX.

Whose MC’s head got blown off by a football

Fredrik

I would play the hell out of turn based Street Fighter.
Well I would too but I’m not an old fan. With FF it’s different, FF is without a doubt my favorite JRPG serie but lately it’s just not FF anymore from my point of view, it’s more about my own action game skills than the skills of the characters. I’ll still play the new ones as usual but I doubt they’ll convert me to think they’re better than the old ones. To evolve the mainline FF they could’ve dived deeper into the strategy instead with action points for movements plus turn-based combat, and kept the side story FF for realtime DMC action.

Sure but there was a drastic change to Persona’s structure and before SMT Nocturne there was no such thing as press turn.
You’re going down a different rabbit hole here and diluting the larger point, while also hurting your own point that I was trying to help with my long post lol.

Basically you trying so hard to correct me and be right on smaller points, when there is a larger point that is very clear(that Persona is a turned based series) is having the opposite effect on your own prior argument.

There’s no actual other way to see Persona as anything other than turn based. There are other ways when it comes to Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

My biggest issue is the devolution and ultra simplification of the combat system.
We went from controlling and worrying with amount of HP/MP of 4 party members, where all 4 could die and reviving cost an action/item (not counting auto phoenix down, but that was mid/late game) and having to use strategy and plan 2 or 3 moves ahead to controlling a single character accompanied by a support char (I'm not counting the dog, his actions seem to be mostly scripted), the support char chances of dying are probably zero, it's there mostly to talk during exploration so the player doesn't feel lonely and/or to make combat (even) easier by healing the player and/or to provide hand holding when the player uses the wrong attack type more than once against an enemy in Dragon's Dogma style "It's weak to fire! Kill it with fire!".

Danjin44

You’re going down a different rabbit hole here and diluting the larger point while also hurting your own point that I was trying to help with that long post lol.

Basically you trying so hard to correct me and be right on a larger point that is very clear(that Persona is a turned based series) is having the opposite effect on your own prior argument.

There’s no actual other way to see Persona as anything other than turn based. There are other ways when it comes to Final Fantasy.
My original point was that things will always consistently change, no one can’t stop it, that’s life.

Top Bottom