• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Game Boy planned says Nintendo

GigaDrive

Banned
New Game Boy planned says Nintendo

by Kristan Reed

Nintendo has repeated its pronouncement that a successor to the Game Boy Advance is already in the works, although dropped no clues as to when it is planning to launch the system.

Speaking at the recent ELSPA Games Summit, Gosen admitted that "new Game Boy iterations are under review right now, before the first DS is sold", which follow similar comments made by Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata around the time of the DS' initial reports in January this year, who was keen to stress that the DS was more of an experiment in testing the market reaction to a Dual Screen device than any concerted attempt to bring out a successor to the GBA.

He pointed out back then that he couldn't predict how well the DS would go down in the market and that maybe only 10 per cent of its audience would buy it. He added that a new Game Boy was being devised in addition to the DS, but Nintendo's release strategy may rest on how well the DS performs in the market when it releases later this year in Japan, and early next year in the US and Europe.

If the device underperforms and finds that Sony is eating away market share with the PSP, the company may well bring the release of its new Game Boy forward to as early as 2006, but should the DS exceed expectations, Nintendo may consider making the most of its good fortune and delay a true sucessor to te GBA to the following year.

A similar situation occurred back in 2000, when the overwhelming success of the Pokemon franchise and the related boost to Game Boy Color sales meant Nintendo could hold back the GBA as a result.

Meanwhile, Nintendo of Europe launches a limited edition GBA today - the Tribal Edition, featuring a Tatoo on the front. What will it think of next?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55812

obviously it should come of no surprise that a new Game Boy is in the works, and this isn't the DS.

I recall reading on the old, old GAF that GBA2 / AGB2 was in development along with GCN2, back in 2001, at NTD (Nintendo Technology Design)

ge-man

I remember Perrin Kaplan saying the same thing, but not too many people are going to be convinced--even when the DS is missing things that I consider default features for a new GB (namely, complete compatiblity with the whole existing library and not just the GBA library).

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I hope not. Best thing for the gaming industry right now in my opinion would be for Sony to take a big bite out of Nintendo's handheld dominance and Nintendo to take a big bite out of Sony's TV-based console dominance.

Kon Tiki

Banned
iapetus said:
I hope not. Best thing for the gaming industry right now in my opinion would be for Sony to take a big bite out of Nintendo's handheld dominance and Nintendo to take a big bite out of Sony's TV-based console dominance.

How would the latter happen?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
A) Old.

B) One more time, for those who missed the spong thread: OLD. AND this is a rip off from something in a UK trade mag that came out today. Have these sites got nothing better to do?

ge-man

Society said:
How would the latter happen?

At the same time, do you expect the first to happen?

A lot of things will have to occur for both monopolies to be destroyed or wounded.

ge-man said:
At the same time, do you expect the first to happen?

A lot of things will have to occur for both monopolies to be destroyed or wounded.

Sony does not have a monopoly on the console market. Sure they are the leader by a wide margin, but it's not a monopoly, just looking at the number of exclusives they lost is proof to that.

cja

Mr Mike said:
A) Old.

B) One more time, for those who missed the spong thread: OLD. AND this is a rip off from something in a UK trade mag that came out today. Have these sites got nothing better to do?
What I dislike about these (UK) sites is how they scramble up what Nintendo actually say with their own speculation and pass it all off as fact.

ge-man

adelgary said:
Sony does not have a monopoly on the console market. Sure they are the leader by a wide margin, but it's not a monopoly, just looking at the number of exclusives they lost is proof to that.

I undertand what you're saying, I was kind of generalizing. My main point still stands--a lot needs to happen for any significant changes to occur on either side of gaming. The PSP will have a challenge especially if the battery life and pricing aren't right while Sony will have to fuck up pretty bad for Nintendo or MS to really swipe market share away from them.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still say that from what little Nintendo has said about "the next Game Boy system", it seems like they are just leaving their options open in case the DS fails miserably.

GigaDrive

Banned
Nintendo has been planning the next GameBoy for release no matter what, even if DS is a massive sucesses. DS is an experiment by Nintendo, on many levels. they want to try to establish a third line of gaming machines. It's not so much about DS itself. it's about starting up another line of game machines in case Nintendo is completely shut out of the home console industry by Sony and Microsoft. If GCNext / Revolution fails (i hope not) its sucessor MIGHT be alot more like a next gen DS, plus Nintendo still has GameBoy Next as well.

ge-man

Personally, I do think the DS is more of an experiment. It's not really the next GB, but there are ideas in there that are being tested future GB implementation. I think in particular the DS will be a testing ground for a doing wireless connectivity on the next GB, while the touchscreen might find it way for the next gen consoles basic controller design. From that perspective I think the machine occupies a weird space. It isn't quite the new GB, but I think certain elements of it are surely being planned for use elsewhere.

Yeah, the handheld seen is going to be crowded this year, which is why I think there is GBA compatiblity. I don't think there are really any other reasons for it. Well, at least no reasons that involve arguments about it being the next GB.

Razoric

Banned
ge-man said:
Personally, I do think the DS is more of an experiment. It's not really the next GB, but there are ideas in there that are being tested future GB implementation. I think in particular the DS will be a testing ground for a doing wireless connectivity on the next GB, while the touchscreen might find it way for the next gen consoles basic controller design. From that perspective I think the machine occupies a weird space. It isn't quite the new GB, but I think certain elements of it are surely being planned for use elsewhere.

Yeah, the handheld seen is going to be crowded this year, which is why I think there is GBA compatiblity. I don't think there are really any other reasons for it. Well, at least no reasons that involve arguments about it being the next GB.

Bad business move then. Confusing the market with multiple handhelds that basically plays the same games as either A) older handhelds or B) old games from SNES/N64 era will eventually bite them in the ass. How many handhelds (and versions of Mario) do they expect us to buy in the next 3 years?

Razoric said:
So we got GBA, PSP, DS and GBA 2 all competing for the crown? Handheld overkill.

It's not overkill, the market is huge and will keep growing. Also GBA will be on it's way out by the time the others start making ground.

GBA and its software is basically like printing money for Nintendo, they are selling the units as fast as they can make them, so they're going to try to double their profits by having two handhelds instead of one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nintendo should keep quiet about GBA2 if they want DS to sell..they should be looking to maximise DS's prospects in the face of PSP instead of seemingly almost writing it off as a creative experiment before it even gets started. And I emphasise the "seemingly" and "almost".

Razoric

Banned
adelgary said:
It's not overkill, the market is huge and will keep growing. Also GBA will be on it's way out by the time the others start making ground.

Nintendo saw that the GBA is basically like printing money for them, they can sell them as fast as they can make them, so they're going to try to double their profits by having two handhelds instead of one.

Eh, I don't know if that is true. GBA is printing money on mostly old NES/SNES games. How many times can they re-release those before people stop buying? And when Nintendo is forced to make new games, how many games will they be able to pump out then? And how much will they cost? $40? $50?

Razoric said:
Eh, I don't know if that is true. GBA is printing money on mostly old NES/SNES games. How many times can they re-release those before people stop buying? And when Nintendo is forced to make new games, how many games will they be able to pump out then? And how much will they cost? $40? $50?

Many original first-party GBA games sell millions of copies, and they cost very little to develop in comparision to console games. New GBA games cost $30 max, get your facts right.

GBA installed base is larger than that of the PS2, the market is huge.

ge-man

Not again! How many times does it have to be pointed out that the GBA is not riddled with rehashes. The problem is that they just so happen to be the more popular games on the GBA--there is still a ton of focus on new games if you hadn't noticed. Just wait for jarrod to print out the "list" again.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Razoric said:
Cripes, you make it sound as if Nintendo has not released one original GBA game.

Turn on the Jarrod signal!

Razoric

Banned
It's not just ALL old games but that's a lot of the appeal of GBA. Play the games that you either loved as a kid or never played. I don't need a list as I own most of the good ones. :)

The GBA market is bigger than PS2, but GBA came out without any competition and was a long awaited upgrade from the old, old, old Gameboy. Why do we need DS and GBA2 again? Didn't GBASP just come out? Is anyone really crying for a stronger system? Tell me, why exactly do we need 2 more Nintendo handhelds in the next 2-3 years? And what makes you think that the DS or GBA2 will see the same success as GBA?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Does anybody else finding it a bit disconcerting that Nintendo is already backpedalling on the DS?

I guess that's why they got Reggie for E3. Cause otherwise their presentation would have been something like, "Umm, we've got this thing called the DS. It, uhh, flips and has two screens and that's kinda weird, right? Umm, we think you'll like it, maybe, and hopefully we can make a more proper Game Boy successor if you guys like this and stuff."

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MetatronM said:
Does anybody else finding it a bit disconcerting that Nintendo is already backpedalling on the DS?

I guess that's why they got Reggie for E3. Cause otherwise their presentation would have been something like, "Umm, we've got this thing called the DS. It, uhh, flips and has two screens and that's kinda weird, right? Umm, we think you'll like it, maybe, and hopefully we can make a more proper Game Boy successor if you guys like this and stuff."
If by "backpedaling" you mean "said it was a third pillar and that there would be a new Game Boy all along" than you're right.

Seriously, a lot of people in this thread are acting as if the fact that a new GBA is in development is shocking, scandalous news. Nintendo has been saying this all along. If anything, this proves they are sticking to their guns and their original strategy for the DS: to position it as an alternative to the GB line, not a true sucessor to the GBA.

Razoric said:
Why do we need DS and GBA2 again?

Because the market is there, and Sony wants a piece of it. Since Nintendo is a money-making business, they're fighting back. Simple as pie.

Is anyone really crying for a stronger system?

Have you been living under a rock or something?

Tell me, why exactly do we need 2 more Nintendo handhelds in the next 2-3 years?

Nobody is forcing you to buy one.

And what makes you think that the DS or GBA2 will see the same success as GBA?

I don't know if they will or not, Sony could very well pull a PSOne on the handheld industry for all I know. But I can tell that the chances of that happening would be higher if Nintendo didn't do anything, and I'm glad they are fighting back. Not to mention that I really think the DS is a brilliant design and a much needed breath of fresh air for the industry, I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Razoric

Banned
Been living under a rock? I thought the appeal of GBA was to play 2D games. It does that very well. I personally don't think to myself while playing Metroid Fusion, "wow I sure wish these graphics were better, or better yet I wish it was in 3d so I can play 3D games on a tiny screen." The simplicity of handhelds is what keeps me drawn to them. Maybe I should've put all my posts -> "IMO" :D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
human5892 said:
If by "backpedaling" you mean "said it was a third pillar and that there would be a new Game Boy all along" than you're right.

Seriously, a lot of people in this thread are acting as if the fact that a new GBA is in development is shocking, scandalous news. Nintendo has been saying this all along. If anything, this proves they are sticking to their guns and their original strategy for the DS: to position it as an alternative to the GB line, not a true sucessor to the GBA.
That's not what I meant. Of course it's a "third pillar." What I was talking about is the "it's just an experiment" comment. Iwata's comment that they are simply trying to test the waters with the DS.

That IS backpedaling from E3's "it's the coolest thing ever and the next big revolution in handheld gaming." You don't hear the inherent difference between that and "we're justing testing?"

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MetatronM said:
That's not what I meant. Of course it's a "third pillar." What I was talking about is the "it's just an experiment" comment. Iwata's comment that they are simply trying to test the waters with the DS.

That IS backpedaling from E3's "it's the coolest thing ever and the next big revolution in handheld gaming." You don't hear the inherent difference between that and "we're justing testing?"
I don't see any direct quoting from NCL sources saying that the DS is an experiment, or testing. The article in this thread is just taking old quotes from Iwata from January, where he stressed that the DS would not win over everyone right away.

Razoric said:
Been living under a rock? I thought the appeal of GBA was to play 2D games. It does that very well. I personally don't think to myself while playing Metroid Fusion, "wow I sure wish these graphics were better, or better yet I wish it was in 3d so I can play 3D games on a tiny screen." The simplicity of handhelds is what keeps me drawn to them. Maybe I should've put all my posts -> "IMO" :D

For me personally the appeal of the GBA is 2D games, but if you don't think many gamers in general want powerful 3D in a handheld, then you must have been living under a rock. Have you ignored all PSP threads or something?

ge-man

Not to turn this into a big argument, but I swear that Iwata even made comments late last year suggesting that the DS was implementing ideas that could be put into next gen hardware.

Razoric

Banned
adelgary said:
For me personally the appeal of the GBA is 2D games, but if you don't think many gamers in general want powerful 3D in a handheld, then you must have been living under a rock. Have you ignored all PSP threads or something?

Yeah the hype is there but the outcome is still up in the air IMO. Price, battery life and what it feels like to play a 3D game on a little screen for 2-3+ hours will be the deciding factor. I dunno, just seems so limiting, but I've never played a 3D game on a handheld so I guess I'll wait and see.

ge-man

adelgary said:

Software taste are really playing a big part in where people put their alliances at. Frankly, I don't care that the DS is on par with the N64. Animal Crossing and Wario Ware DS don't need GC graphics, and these are the kinds of games that I think will sell the DS. The PSP is attracting gamers Razoric, which is find. Just don't assume that because YOU want more powerful that all gamers do. That's fallacious reasoning.

"New GBA games cost $30 max, get your facts right."

I believe they werent always this way..

werent GBA games $40 new back when GBA first came out, and so many people complained at paying $40 for a gba game and they eventually lowered the max price???

ge-man

Pricing is one thing that I'm worried about with new handhelds. There's no way in hell that I'll pay almost the exact same prices that I do for consoles unless those handhelds are using the same philosophy as the Turbo Express or the Sega Nomad.

jarrod

Banned
iapetus said:
Agreed!!!

Razoric said:
GBA came out without any competition and was a long awaited upgrade from the old, old, old Gameboy.
Nope that was GBC. And I'm sorry , but WonderSwan Color was literally a bigger threat than Dreamcast in all honesty.

jarrod

Banned
LuckyBrand said:
werent GBA games $40 new back when GBA first came out, and so many people complained at paying $40 for a gba game and they eventually lowered the max price???
3rd Party games were. Nintendo dropped licensing fees 9 months after launch so 3rd parties could drop their MSRPs to $29.99.

Mashing

iapetus said:

IAWTP

neptunes

I don't think they will push 2 handhelds at the same time.

DS is like the testing ground, if it does well then they can slowdown the release of the
next gameboy.

The better question is: how is Nintendo going to evenly support 4 platforms (GC, GBA, DS, Revolution) simultaneously, nevermind the logistics and marketing nightmare that it will present?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
IMHO, I think Nintendo is just going to confuse consumers with both the DS and the GBANext when its released.

jarrod

Banned
Fall 1998: GameBoy Color
Spring 2001: GameBoy Advance
Spring 2003: GameBoy Advance SP
Fall 2004: Nintendo DS
Fall 2006/2007: GameBoy Evolution

...I don't see a problem.

Top Bottom