• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA:LCS tidbit

neptunes

For the first time in in the series, it'll snow :lol

"This weather effect is actually new to the GTA universe, not just Liberty City. The one thing to keep in mind is that it will actually affect the driving physics, as the roads become more slippery."
-- PSM Magazine Issue 102
also...
Firstly, Pay N' Spray and Ammunation will return. While this was probably a no brainer before, it's now official, along with everything else that this article mentions. The best thing about the article is that it is written by Take 2, and therefore there will be no 'mistakes' made by editors of magazines before it gets to us.

The article also mentions a bit about the in game audio - our first "official" details are finally here. There will be multiple radio stations and brand new pedestrian voices.
There was talk of a new HUD in magazines, but with so few reporting it I questioned its authenticity. We now know that the heads up display will be semi transparent.
www.gtapsp.com

and they also mentioned that the only loading in the game is the game's start up and when you enter different cities. (just like the console games)

Supposedly, there's supposed to be some ign/gamespot media blowout in september

Zeo

Banned
Wario64 said:
Do people still think this isn't gonna sell big?

Of course it'll sell great.

It just won't be doing for PSP what it did for PS2, just like Pokemon on consoles doesn't do portable numbers.

Mrbob

Wario64 said:
Do people still think this isn't gonna sell big?

Of course it will.

It is the most important game in the history of portable gaming. A game that changes the rules of how portable gaming is seen forever!

Mupepe

Banned
Eh, I need a hands on with it to judge it fairly. for some reason I can't imagine playing a gta game on the go. and I think it'll sell great in terms of PSP games, but not anywhere near the mega hit that some people expect.

Zeo

Banned
Mrbob said:
Of course it will.

It is the most important game in the history of portable gaming. A game that changes the rules of how portable gaming is seen forever!

Oh, how I hope that was sarcasm.

FightyF

Banned
I thought the rain made it slippery. Maybe it was all in my head. o_O

Dumb Q: What does LCS stand for? :p This is the first I've heard of a new GTA...

OH wait....this must be the PSP version...

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
LCS = Liberty City Stories.

I can't quite remember the timeline, but this takes place in Liberty City (the city in GTA III) either three years after San Andreas or three years before GTA III.

Mrbob

Damn I want my free PSM mag in the mail tommorrow. Found this on the IGN Boards:

Just an FYI--PSM went hands-on with GTA: LCS, and they did quite an extensive write-up in their latest issue (October '05 issue). I originally wasn't too exicted about this game, but after this most recent write-up, I'm very psyched--you could tell from reading the article that they were and still are floored by what they've seen of it.

Just a partial summary of new stuff:
>only loading screens are at initial start-up and between cities
>you can go in and out of many buildings, and there's no loading
>this is the first GTA to have snow; the snow will affect vehicle traction
>there will be ferries to take to the cities, simply to save you the time of driving
>there will be new shops
>the HUD is transparent, so it doesn't get in the way
>dozens of new cars
>can shoot while riding motorcycles
>tons of side-quests (ie. rampages, insane stunts, hidden packages
>car reflections are as good [or better] than console GTA III
>game length will be between 80-110 hours
>using shoulder buttons as "shift" keys will help with the lack of 2nd analog
>there will be a free-aim mode

>still nothing known about the soundtrack
>there will be helicoptors, but you can't fly them

Sorry if this was already posted, but I just wanted to make sure you all knew--if you want the full scoop, go buy the issue (#102).

Best portable game ever?

Some more:

All-in-all, though, they said the game plays and looks fantastic, and that the controls work very, very well (one of the shoulder buttons acts like a "shift" button, so, when combined with the analog nub, this is how you control the camera; the other shoulder button is used for targeting)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So this is basically a real portable GTA and not some hand me down port. I dont know, this is gonna sell a fuckload if they advertise the hell out of it (which they will)

Mrbob

Wario64 said:
So this is basically a real portable GTA and not some hand me down port. I dont know, this is gonna sell a fuckload if they advertise the hell out of it (which they will)

Of course. Looking at the scale and scope of this game this is why I refer it to as the most important portable game to ever come out. No longer is portable gaming pigeonholed to where the game has to be short bursts of gaming.

If GTA doesn't explode on PSP, nothing will. Companies are obviously apprehensive to give such heavy resources to a portable that can challenge the home consoles in terms of development and costs.

GTA:LCS seems to be a fully head-on tackle to this. Now what PSP needs is another grand example like getting the other GT game out the door, Gran Turismo. It needs the full blown effort, and when it comes to the GT series for Sony, they don't and shouldn't mess around.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
GTA:LCS seems to be a fully head-on tackle to this. Now what PSP needs is another grand example like getting the other GT game out the door, Gran Turismo. It needs the full blown effort, and with it comes to the GT series for Sony, they don't and shouldn't miss around.

Kaz has said that GTP is getting the same treatment they give console GT's. So its going to have a very good budget much like LCS has. It's what the system needs.

It shoudl be time for Rockstar to start releasing more media on the game.

Mrbob

SolidSnakex said:
Kaz has said that GTP is getting the same treatment they give console GT's. So its going to have a very good budget much like LCS has. It's what the system needs.

Nice. I hate racing games for the most part but I may buy GT Pocket since Sony isn't going to pint size the game anymore!

SolidSnakex said:

A online mode for Gran Turismo PSP would be absolutely killer. Not just Ad-hoc, but full blown wifi infrastucture mode.

Lo-Volt

Mrbob said:
Just a partial summary of new stuff:
>only loading screens are at initial start-up and between cities
>you can go in and out of many buildings, and there's no loading
>there will be ferries to take to the cities, simply to save you the time of driving
>the HUD is transparent, so it doesn't get in the way
>dozens of new cars
>tons of side-quests (ie. rampages, insane stunts, hidden packages
>car reflections are as good [or better] than console GTA III
>game length will be between 80-110 hours

Wow. Seriously, though, this could turn out better than I had imagined for a handheld Grand Theft Auto.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
A online mode for Gran Turismo PSP would be absolutely killer. Not just Ad-hoc, but full blown wifi infrastucture mode.

The game is being built from a multiplayer perspective

Eurogamer: About PSP. Obviously you're making GT4 mobile for PSP. It's a bit of a silly question, but will it be a full version of GT4 on a handheld, and will it support wireless multiplayer?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Firstly, the answer is no. The PSP game will not be the same experience. Secondly, whether you will be able to play against each other wirelessly, the answer is yes. I've changed the focus of the PSP version of the game. The focus is on playing together.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The best thing about the article is that it is written by Take 2, and therefore there will be no 'mistakes' made by editors of magazines before it gets to us.

Take 2 is writing the copy now? Journalistic integrity +1

Prine

Banned
I hope PSP sales go through the roof as a result. Complete handheld domination. This and ProEvo is all i need.

AB 101

Banned
Mrbob said:
Of course it will.

Some would argue that Pokemon changed portable gaming.

game length will be between 80-110 hours

Thats alot of battery charging. :p

AB 101

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah, in 1996? A new revolution in portable gaming is coming. :D

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think GTA on PSP may just be the new killer app for a portable, although the non game Nintendogs looks strong on the DS.

I look forward to this game big time, as well as Burnout Legends.

Miburou

Zeo said:
It just won't be doing for PSP what it did for PS2, just like Pokemon on consoles doesn't do portable numbers.

Aren't the console and handheld Pokemon games pretty different? GTA LCS looks to offer the same experience as the console one does.

Miburou said:
Aren't the console and handheld Pokemon games pretty different?

Yep none of them including the new Pokemon are like the portable versions of Pokemon that are so popular. LCS is the real GTA.

GTA:LCS vs. Nintendogs..... gonna be interesting to see since these are the only 2 games for PSP and DS this year that'll have the power to sell systems. I'm by no means saying these are the only good/high profile/etc. games due out this year but there's no other games that will significantly boost system sales like these.

mckmas8808

Banned
All I have to say is "snow in a GTA game." Just the fact that they are doing something on a portable GTA game that they have never done before is HUGE!!! I call GTA:LCS a muli-million dollar seller. I think that its going to past Mario 64 on the DS.

Watch :D

Mrbob

SiegfriedFM said:
Did only me and Sho Nuff react to this? Quoting press releases verbatim is one thing, but actually having the companies write previews...

Well we know all mags are paid off anyway. :p At least PSM is being honest! :D

evil ways

I wonder if having snow means that there will be different seasons. I've always wanted seasonal changes via the console's clock on a GTA game, so that if I play the game on december I get snow.

dskillzhtown said:
when is the release date on this bad boy?

Looks like it'll be in October. Which is why Rockstar needs to get around to showing us some official pics and trailers.

And Flashback FM needs to be one of the radio stations. It's a must. :)

donny2112

michael000 said:
GTA:LCS vs. Nintendogs.....

Okay, if anyone is seriously looking for Nintendogs to sell close to GTA (at least initially), you should stop right now. I honestly expect GTA PSP to sell more in its first month (October) than Nintendogs will in its first three (August, September, October). If for no other reason than the tie ratio for this game on the PSP will probably equal, if not exceed, the tie ratio of Mario 64 DS on the DS in the U.S.

And on a side note:

Being the best game ever made on a portable system doesn't necessarily equate to being the best portable game ever made. ;-)

Amir0x

Banned
donny, please don't make bets like that. It's very possible Nintendogs might outsell GTA:LCS. Portable arena is a whole different ballgame.

donny2112

Amir0x said:
donny, please don't make bets like that. It's very possible Nintendogs might outsell GTA:LCS. Portable arena is a whole different ballgame.

Possible, yes, but I just don't expect it. I've never met someone who actually owns a PSP, so I am basing that expectation off of its console success and how it seems to be the game talked about for PSP whenever I look on forums. Sort of how Halo was the game for Xbox, at first, and there wasn't a real consensus on what the second-best game was.

What I'm trying to head off is any unrealistic (by my way of thinking) expectation that Nintendogs will do so well at first that it'll exceed GTA PSP's launch success. Long-term, if Nintendogs does do well, I can see it eventually surpassing GTA on PSP, but short-term, I don't consider it likely. No bets, just an expectation. :)

Also, I'd be pleasantly surprised if my expectation proved to be incorrect. Thanks for the reminder about the difference between the handheld and console sectors. :)

Top Bottom