• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fallout Series is potentially erasing New Vegas from canon

lifa-cobex

I'm liking the show. As someone who has never played the games, its making me want to give them a try.
I mean they're fine games but very much a product of their times.

First fallout has best story but a very dated game.
probably skip 2. It's nothing special.
3 is good for its time but its an absolute buggy mess. Didn't really like the ending but meh.
NV is the highest regarded. It was made by the OG team who made the first game.
Fallout 4 is an absolutely, outstanding, ok game. Also a buggy mess.

fallout shelter is a fun mobile game that is also on steam.

Hudo

The writing in NV embarrassed Bethesda spectacularly so they’re probably salty about it. It’s so much better than 3.
I genuinely would not be surprised if Bethesda and Todd were actually still salty about New Vegas. He seems like a dude who'd get salty about getting beaten at his own game, so to speak.

FfAxemdVEAA4JkK.jpg
I think it's time for a 'Dark Todd' meme.

Dr_Salt

Aside from New Vegas, the show is better than the rest of the games.

I'd definitely rather watch S1 again, over playing FO4 again.

NV > Show > Everything Else
Yea no, maybe better than bethesda's fallout but certainly not interplay's fallout games.

Red5

3 is good for its time but its an absolute buggy mess. Didn't really like the ending but meh.

Skip Fallout 2?
Ice Cube What GIF

Hol'up imma call NMA and RPG-codex

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sounds like a minor date inconsistency rather than any kind of insidious attempt at making New Vegas noncanon? lol

You Fallout guys should try Metal Gear, shit got retconned between games all the time :messenger_grinning_squinting:

bender

What time is it?

Skipping anything developed by Bethesda is the only correct advice.

Fallout New Vegas is not being erased, Jesus, it's the last shot of the show. FNV stans have to be some of the biggest drama queens on the internet, blowing their tops at any perceived slight or any bit of praise for the Bethesda games.
okay, you've convinced me. i'm going with 'canon queens' from now on...

RickSanchez

I went back and read the Fallout wiki to understand the furore (and the only furore i have seen is this thread and apparently some people on twitter, but i dont browse twitter).

If i understand correctly, the point of contention is that in Fallout New Vegas, the NCR is still very much a powerful faction and NCR folks still mention Shady Sands as a location. In the show, Shady Sands gets nuked at an undspecified point in the timeline and the NCR is shown as a weak faction, basically just one ragtag group trying to eke out a living at the observatory.

As someone who generally stands for preserving the lore of source material in any future adaptation, i still think this is something that can be altered/improved in the second season, and hence not a very big deal. For fans of the New Vegas game, the game itself is going nowhere, it will always be regarded as a good game. Also the ending of the season 1 of the show clearly alludes to New Vegas itself being very much present, and possibly important in the season 2 plot. So the only point of contention seems to be how the show handled NCR and Shady Sands, which can be fixed in season 2.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

You can tell it's a (bad) joke when someone tells you to skip Fallout 2.

Or it's actually Todd Howard typing.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I went back and read the Fallout wiki to understand the furore (and the only furore i have seen is this thread and apparently some people on twitter, but i dont browse twitter).

If i understand correctly, the point of contention is that in Fallout New Vegas, the NCR is still very much a powerful faction and NCR folks still mention Shady Sands as a location. In the show, Shady Sands gets nuked at an undspecified point in the timeline and the NCR is shown as a weak faction, basically just one ragtag group trying to eke out a living at the observatory.

As someone who generally stands for preserving the lore of source material in any future adaptation, i still think this is something that can be altered/improved in the second season, and hence not a very big deal. For fans of the New Vegas game, the game itself is going nowhere, it will always be regarded as a good game. Also the ending of the season 1 of the show clearly alludes to New Vegas itself being very much present, and possibly important in the season 2 plot. So the only point of contention seems to be how the show handled NCR and Shady Sands, which can be fixed in season 2.
It sounds like they are going to show what is going on in New Vegas after the New Vegas video game.

I am sure that may cheese people off if they make certain decisions canon. It depends on how vague they make the courier's story.

Trunx81

Just wait a minute. The criticism is that a few years later the NCR is not as powerful as it was in New Vegas? Let’s look at the timeline:
Nuking of Shady Sands: 2277
New Vegas: 2281, four years later

What could be possible:
- Some of the SS population survived. Some of them in Vault 4, others who knows where. Maybe some have rebuilt parts of the town elsewhere and called it the same name?
- Word of mouth travels a bit slower in the wasteland, so every information from NV has to be taken with a grain of salt
- It’s never mentioned that the nuking of SS destroyed the NCR, if I recall right
- and, like already mentioned: Vegas appears at the end of Season 1. Let’s see where we are heading with this, will we?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS.

The show ends with an incredible deliberate homage to New Vegas as the very likely setting for Season 2.

So, can't for the life of me see how anyone on Twitter can say that the show is erasing it from the 'timeline'.

MiguelItUp

Just wait a minute. The criticism is that a few years later the NCR is not as powerful as it was in New Vegas? Let’s look at the timeline:
Nuking of Shady Sands: 2277
New Vegas: 2281, four years later

What could be possible:
- Some of the SS population survived. Some of them in Vault 4, others who knows where. Maybe some have rebuilt parts of the town elsewhere and called it the same name?
- Word of mouth travels a bit slower in the wasteland, so every information from NV has to be taken with a grain of salt
- It’s never mentioned that the nuking of SS destroyed the NCR, if I recall right
- and, like already mentioned: Vegas appears at the end of Season 1. Let’s see where we are heading with this, will we?
Exactly. I saw people saying the same kind of thing and they hadn't started watching the show, or finished it, lol. From what I saw it was just Twitter people being Twitter people. Well, and some YouTube channels as well. Just a bunch of grifter-like clickbait-y nonsense. 🤷‍♂️

Zathalus

PS.

The show ends with an incredible deliberate homage to New Vegas as the very likely setting for Season 2.

So, can't for the life of me see how anyone on Twitter can say that the show is erasing it from the 'timeline'.
Not only that, but Robert House is in the meeting scene.

Trunx81

Exactly. I saw people saying the same kind of thing and they hadn't started watching the show, or finished it, lol. From what I saw it was just Twitter people being Twitter people. Well, and some YouTube channels as well. Just a bunch of grifter-like clickbait-y nonsense. 🤷‍♂️
Not only that, in NV they call Shady Sands “the first capital”. You can’t call something “the first” if there is no second. And when they abide your help with the Hoover Dam, they state that otherwise SS will fall. So the city was already in a bad shape during that lore.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FYI, Howard has clarified again that they're being careful with the show timeline and nothing should contradict with the game(s) with examples in this long new article.

“There might be a little bit of confusion in some places. But everything that happened in the previous games, including New Vegas, happened.”

Last edited:

FireFly

The most important thing they clarified is that Shady Sands was nuked after the events of New Vegas. So in New Vegas the NPCs are talking about a place that still exists at that point in the official timeline.

Last edited:
Top Bottom