• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fallout Series is potentially erasing New Vegas from canon

ManaByte

The biggest conflict between the two can be found in the sixth episode of the TV series, which mentions that Shady Sands, the capital of the New California Republic (NCR), was destroyed in the year 2277 — four years before the events of Fallout: New Vegas and the same year that the NCR fought in the First Battle of Hoover Dam.

In the show, the NCR has been scattered by the destruction of Shady Sands and exist as a ragtag group trying to rebuild society. The show also doesn't make it clear whether this is the full remnants of the NCR or just a small contingent of it. These discrepancies have fans claiming that Fallout: New Vegas has been retconned by Bethesda, which did not work on the original release in 2010.

Bethesda design director Emil Pagliarulo took to X/Twitter to try and correct the record by noting the official timeline, but that did little to satisfy confused fans who pointed out the discrepancy between the two.

"Okay cool. It’s just that according to the show, an, ahem…major event occurs in 2277 that would definitely have had an impact in Fallout: New Vegas," one user wrote. "The only way I can rectify this would be to move the date of the event until *after* New Vegas, and call it a typo."

Fallout: New Vegas was created by many of the developers who worked on Fallout 2, grounding it more heavily in the lore developed by the franchise's original creator, Black Isle Studios. Bethesda has long sought to put its own stamp on the series going back to Fallout 3, fueling unconfirmed rumors of friction between the two, though they both now share a parent company in Microsoft.

If Bethesda is using the show to erase New Vegas, that's petty as hell.

FireFly

The blackboard technically has the 2277 date corresponding to the "fall" of Shady Sands, with the explosion separated by a timeline arrow, implying it happened later. We see Mr. House in the show and the last shot
shows them approaching New Vegas.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

FfAxemdVEAA4JkK.jpg

Denton

Emil already said NV is canon, but the problem is, the show is really inconsistent with NV in some respects.

NV takes place in 2281. If "fall of Shady Sands" happened in 2277, why do people in Mojave in 2281 talk about Shady Sands like it is still a capital and normally functioning city?

Even if the nuke happened in 2282 or later (after NV), there are still inconsistencies. And it should not be this difficult to keep basic stuff consistent. Wikis exist for a fucking reason.

And my bigger problem with the show is just the decision of nuking Shady Sands and then the Maximus guy saying how NCR failed.

Motherfucker, NCR has 700K people spread across numerous towns and settlements. Even if Shady Sands with its 30K people got nuked, does not automatically mean NCR is gone.

But, I was looking forward to seeing Shady Sands and NCR from FO2 (which is the last time we could see it) evolve, and instead got a fucking crater.

Basically, TV writers and Bethesda fucked up. Maybe they will manage to somehow unfuck it in future seasons. Maybe not.

Last edited:

Red5

Then explain the ending of the final episode, New Vegas is going to be an important location in the series which is canon to the lore according to Bethesda.

Laptop1991

It depends whether the bomb exploded after 2281 for me, as long as the blackboard date is just the fall and it happened after New Vegas, fine, no complaint's, if it's before then yeah i have a problem with the lore retconn and Bethesda has never really liked New Vegas, on the Fallout twitter they mention Joshua Graham once, years ago, out of the blue and the replies were hilarious lol, they wouldn't let Obsidian make another Fallout or Elder Scroll remember, so i guess we will find out with season 2 of the show.

XXL

Aside from New Vegas, the show is better than the rest of the games.

I'd definitely rather watch S1 again, over playing FO4 again.

NV > Show > Everything Else

StereoVsn

It's just ignorant writing. Anyone expecting the show to be 100% lore friendly and canon has never seen a game to tv adaptation.

Not some conspiracy lol
Considering how close Bethesda worked with the show and how salty they have been about New Vegas, I wouldn’t put it past them.

Personally I found writing for the show to be mediocre and nonsensical on quite a few parts. Really don’t get all the gushing about it.

ManaByte

Anyone actually consider TV series adaptations as being part of the lore?

In the case of Fallout, Bethesda claims to. Which is why them potentially using the show to retcon New Vegas (a game they don't like because they didn't make it) comes off as petty.

Last edited:
Considering the ending, no they aren't erasing new vegas, and the bombs could've dropped after new vegas 2281, I don't think there's anything that explicitly says the bombs dropped in 2277 in the show, "the fall of shady sands" could just be the event that lead to the bombing later.

again: 'canon' - those parts of something completely made up that are 'real', compared to those parts of something completely made up that aren't 'real'...

Soodanim

In the case of Fallout, Bethesda claims to. Which is why them potentially using the show to retcon New Vegas (a game they don't like because they didn't make it) comes off as petty
I don't think you can have potentially and petty in the same sentence, that's getting mad about a scenario you've made up.

Imagine walking into a kitchen, seeing a broken cup on the floor, then jumping straight to shouting at people for being out to get you instead of considering that it was an accident. That's paranoid behaviour. Until you know the truth many things are within the realms of possibility, and choosing one without a damn good reason is something that should be dismissed immediately.

Denton

Anyone actually consider TV series adaptations as being part of the lore?

Bethesda considers is equivalent of Fallout 5. Hence Emil and Todd both being in the credits and giving approvals on scripts.

Why even reply then? The continue the cycle?

I was just expressing surprise at seeing such dumb post from a poster who, in my experience, usually posts sensical levelheaded posts.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Easy to resolve, New Vegas makes it clear that the NCR is having issues. Thus you can explain 2277 as when the fall of the NCR started with 2282 being the date it got nuked. Considering the NCR was supposed to be spread across California, having the nuke being the cherry on top of the fall makes sense.

Red5

People will still be playing New Vegas long after this POS show is forgotten.

It has critical acclaim, which neans they will likely renew it for another season if not more. According to Bethesda it will part of the Fallout timeline.

Lupin25

Bethesda has probably always been a bit jealous over the attention Obsidian’s New Vegas received after Fallout 3.

I thought the show was leaning more into that direction based on the setting.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It has critical acclaim, which neans they will likely renew it for another season if not more. According to Bethesda it will part of the Fallout timeline.
Unless it's one of the best shows ever, which it's not, it will be forgotten long before one of the best RPGs ever.

And it's not like Bethesda has been a good caretaker of FO lore. At a certain point nobody cares what the "official" canon is, especially when it seems like the people in charge do not (also true of Star Wars these days).

Last edited:
Last edited:

Krathoon

Easy to resolve, New Vegas makes it clear that the NCR is having issues. Thus you can explain 2277 as when the fall of the NCR started with 2282 being the date it got nuked. Considering the NCR was supposed to be spread across California, having the nuke being the cherry on top of the fall makes sense.
Yes. The fall does not mean the nuke. Things were just going wrong at the time.

lifa-cobex

I thought Todd said it wasn't cannon years back.
Primarily because it wasn't made by him and his team (and it ranks as the best game out of the series).

Either way, watching the ending of the series says otherwise.

Top Bottom