• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Started copying over files to MicroSD today in anticipation of tomorrow, only to find the Kingston 16GB I bought last year was DOA. Kind of a bummer and I'm sure it's been so long that it isn't even worth looking for a refund
(bought with a new phone, but found out too late that it didn't support external storage)

Got it taken care of but just glad I didn't find out tomorrow.

Can't wait to give it a spin tomorrow. I won't be able to test out the cstick until next week, but face tracking 3D and faster loading will be enough for now. I turned my regular XL on and off quite a bit today trying to check various SD cards and it is slooooow.

I dont have my new system yet..I want to be able to trade it into target tomorrow for the double trade in value(But I dont know if I will be able to get the new system right away so I need a back up plan) what is the best method, if possible, so that at least I can transfer over some of my data to my new microsd card so that when I do get the system I can just pop it in and redownload my VC games

Rootbeer

Banned
awesome thread! subbed

Getting my MM New 3DS tomorrow along with MM 3DS and MH4U, going to be one hell of a day

got my 64gig microsd card all ready to go

got my new charger (found the "new 3ds" branded version at target)

going to head down to gamestop sometime fri or sat and trade in my old one for the $100

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Has anyone who ordered the MH4U 3dsxl package from Gamestop seen a delivery date of February 13th? Specifically those who did not select one day shipping?

I paid 14.50 or whatever for 2 day shipping and it says it will arrive tomorrow. I am getting the feeling that I am being robbed since I'm getting 2 day shipping on launch day. I was wondering if anyone who chose standard will also get it on launch day.

Thanks

Also, I have never owned a 3ds before and have purchased a 32gb microSD card. I am wondering if I should unscrew the back and copy MH from the stock card, to my mac, then copying that to my 32gb and then putting that in and launching the system.

Or should I launch the system then do the transfer after.

Does it matter?

llaannccee

Those who have a New 3DS XL, can you check if you can move the upper screen? Some people told me their 3DS has the same loose screen but I'd like to be sure if it's supposed to be like that.

I'm talking about this: https://vine.co/v/OPhi5U1KV9E

I can also lift the left side of the screen a few millimeters, but the right side of the screen stays in place and won't move.

Mine is loose just like yours. Guess thats the way they are.

nakedeyes

Banned
Has anyone who ordered the MH4U 3dsxl package from Gamestop seen a delivery date of February 13th? Specifically those who did not select one day shipping?

I paid 14.50 or whatever for 2 day shipping and it says it will arrive tomorrow. I am getting the feeling that I am being robbed since I'm getting 2 day shipping on launch day. I was wondering if anyone who chose standard will also get it on launch day.

Thanks

Also, I have never owned a 3ds before and have purchased a 32gb microSD card. I am wondering if I should unscrew the back and copy MH from the stock card, to my mac, then copying that to my 32gb and then putting that in and launching the system.

Or should I launch the system then do the transfer after.

Does it matter?

Hrm.. Don't feel bad yet! I paid for next day air and still have not received shipment notification :(

I'm worried I'll be waiting til Monday! Not the end of the world either way I supoose

I'll be joining the party tomorrow, when Amazon deliver my black N3DS with the wood faceplates. I'm going to do a master quest playthrough of OOT3D, appreciating the sharper image of the non-XL model, before delving into MM3D. Exciting!

kubus

Yep. Uh, mine shifts from side to side. There's like a 3mm gap on either side of the top half in the hinge.

Mine is loose just like yours. Guess thats the way they are.

Thanks everyone. It looks like it's supposed to be like that. Someone sent me this video and this is actually what I'm experiencing. I don't know whether to rejoice because my system is not faulty, or cry because there's no way of fixing it and it truly annoys me to no end.

I just put it back in the box. Don't want to sound like a drama queen but I'm actually considering returning the system. Luckily I haven't done the system transfer yet. Gonna sleep on it and make my decision tomorrow.

This totally breaks my heart :(

wow, that's some weak build quality, that would drive me nuts.
Eh, honestly it will only really annoy you if you focus on it.
The old DS systems had worse issues.

Also if it makes you feel better kudus, the regular system you have to really try to get the same issue. I tried to go back and forth and only at 90 degree angles did it move.

So what MicroSD cards are you guys using? I need to go grab one tomorrow before my New XL gets here and it has to be a 32 since that's what my current XL has.

So what MicroSD cards are you guys using? I need to go grab one tomorrow before my New XL gets here and it has to be a 32 since that's what my current XL has.

Any reliable brand like Samsung, Sony, Sandisk, etc. will be fine. I purchased a 32GB Sony one when they were on sale for $12 on Amazon.

Impala26

For those of you interested in super-duper-extra-long battery life...

Mugen Power 6250mAh Extended Battery for New Nintendo 3DS XL

hli-n3dsllxl_1_1_1.jpg

To be clear that's 6250mAh compared to the standard N3DS XL's 1750mAh.

Enjoy!

Zomba13

Guess this is the place to post my thoughts of the New 3DS XL. I've never had an "XL" before. With the DS I was happy going to the lite and with the 3DS didn't feel the need to update to an XL due to worry about pixel density and other things. With the new 3DS I was torn between the faceplates for the small or getting a bigger screen and system of the XL and the Majora's Mask edition sold me.

Kinda disappointed in the mask print not looking that well done, like faded old newspaper print. Other than that though it's great. The bigger screen is great and the improved 3D is like magic. I have noticed that the 3D doesn't seem as "deep" as on the original 3DS but dunno if that is just a perceived issue due to the bigger screen/tracking or and actual change. The c "stick" is damn weird. I imagined it to be a mini circle pad or something not some sort of squidgy button that somehow works as a stick. It's weird but not bad, at least so far. Worst bit is the change to the volume slider, cart slot and stylus and its slot. The volume is in a weird place and I don't like change, same with the cart slot and stylus slot but maaaan, why go back to a non-telescopic stylus after the 3DS came with a great one? I'm gonna have to buy one now...

Other than that I like it. I didn't think the bigger screens would win me over like they did but they really make a positive difference. Very happy with that. And the system transfer went smoothly and I'm happy with that too.

//ARCANUM

Guess this is the place to post my thoughts of the New 3DS XL. I've never had an "XL" before. With the DS I was happy going to the lite and with the 3DS didn't feel the need to update to an XL due to worry about pixel density and other things. With the new 3DS I was torn between the faceplates for the small or getting a bigger screen and system of the XL and the Majora's Mask edition sold me.

Kinda disappointed in the mask print not looking that well done, like faded old newspaper print. Other than that though it's great. The bigger screen is great and the improved 3D is like magic. I have noticed that the 3D doesn't seem as "deep" as on the original 3DS but dunno if that is just a perceived issue due to the bigger screen/tracking or and actual change. The c "stick" is damn weird. I imagined it to be a mini circle pad or something not some sort of squidgy button that somehow works as a stick. It's weird but not bad, at least so far. Worst bit is the change to the volume slider, cart slot and stylus and its slot. The volume is in a weird place and I don't like change, same with the cart slot and stylus slot but maaaan, why go back to a non-telescopic stylus after the 3DS came with a great one? I'm gonna have to buy one now...

Other than that I like it. I didn't think the bigger screens would win me over like they did but they really make a positive difference. Very happy with that. And the system transfer went smoothly and I'm happy with that too.

weird, i forgot that the regular 3DS came with a telescopic stylus. the regular 3DS XL did away with this too, it's not specific to the "new" model.

I have noticed that the 3D doesn't seem as "deep" as on the original 3DS but dunno if that is just a perceived issue due to the bigger screen/tracking or and actual change.

I still haven't tried "new" models, but at least on the old XL the 3d effect had much less depth compared to OG 3ds. My guess is that is due to the low ppi with noticeable screen door effect (you see the black grill between pixels) which breaks the "magic" and makes the picture flat.

Effect was worsened on the old XL by the dreadful antiglare filter and lower screen brightness which combined gave very dull picture and colours, these issues should be fixed on the new XL (impressions are welcome in this regard).

Still waiting for best buy to ship mine. Being patient because it doesn't come out officially until tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it by tuesday, my next day off.

Labrys

I drove down to Target. They have the spaces set out for the Black, Red, and MM N3DS. I asked the lady there and she said they got a grand total of 3. I'm going to be down there at about 7 and wait for it to open and rush down there to grab one.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh wow I just learned from that video above that you can now transfer your 3ds infinite times as long as there is a 7 day gap in between transfers

this is awesome!

that may not be new to the new 3ds but it's definitely news to me, there used to be a very low transfer limit

Floex

First impressions
icon_wub.gif
icon_wub.gif
icon_wub.gif
icon_wub.gif
icon_wub.gif

Got the regular black version, looks incredible stylish. Initially was abit unimpressed with the 3D, it wasn't until I had on the Xl that I saw just how good it actually is, no more ghosting when moving \o/ Even the packaging is a work of art.The SNES style buttons are just the icing on the cake. Feels so much more lighter than the Xl and feels so much better for it. Haven't had the chance to play anything yet as I'm doing the transfer but I couldn't be more happy with the upgrade.

Mob

What, really? Was this also the case with regular XL? This is my third XL system and the other two don't have it. It's very annoying. Like, even when I just pick up the system the screen will flop around and make the ticking noise o_o. Surely that can't be right??

edit: Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the screen "wobble" in the second lock position, as I know that's normal. The screen literally "falls down" if I hold it sideways.

I have the MM 3DS as well, it has the same movement as in your Vine but it does not fall down when I hold it sideways. Sounds like yours is a little looser than mine.

Mine only moves back and forth when I move it myself, it stays in place when I rotate the system whether the screen is open or closed.

Mob

Just a little question for any of you 3DS owners that have had their machines for a while now.

I own an Ambassador version of the N3DS and today I noticed that I have a small scratch on the top screen. It's located at a point when the raised frame of the bottom screen could be in contact with the top screen. This 3DS has literally had about 3h's of total play time since I got it as I've been treating it with kid gloves.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Is this just a continuation of the screen scratching that plagued the original 3DS. To say I'm a little peeved is an understatement.

I've had the Ambassador N3DS for just over a month and it's had heavy use, no scratches on my screen.

adroit

Having recently bought a Mac notebook, it's pretty annoying that the wireless data management only works with Windows. I read on NintendoLife that it has something to do with the version of the SMB (Server Message Block) protocol Nintendo chose to use. Anyone have more detailed info on that? Trying to Google it is hopeless because "SMB" also stands for Super Mario Bros and "Mac" gets hits for "MAC" (media access control).

Dammit, Nintendo!

Apharmd

Oh wow I just learned from that video above that you can now transfer your 3ds infinite times as long as there is a 7 day gap in between transfers

this is awesome!

that may not be new to the new 3ds but it's definitely news to me, there used to be a very low transfer limit

News to me. Awesome, thanks!

Can't wait to get mine tomorrow. Definitely picking up Majora's Mask tomorrow and not sure if I'm going to get MH4 or not. Never played any of the other ones, will 4 be a good start?

The Majora's Mask XL is glorious. The pictures don't do it justice. Haven't used the C-stick yet but I'm liking it and the new face buttons just feel a lot nicer. Glad I upgraded.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Would I be able to keep my 3ds charger and just replace it by paying for an offbrand one at gamestop when I go to do the trade in?

Jeremy

The Majora's Mask XL is glorious. The pictures don't do it justice. Haven't used the C-stick yet but I'm liking it and the new face buttons just feel a lot nicer. Glad I upgraded.

I didn't realize the whole thing had the gold tone. I thought the top was gold and the bottom was the black plastic used on the black edition. When I finally saw it I was kind of sad that I missed it but oh well.

For the people who ordered from Best Buy, has your tracking info been updated yet? I usually pick up from store so I've never tracked anything with them before.

this is awesome!

There was a 5 time limit but Nintendo lifted this a good while back. Why there was such a limit when Nintendo knows they have die hards that will be lots of different editions is beyond me.

I dont have my new system yet..I want to be able to trade it into target tomorrow for the double trade in value(But I dont know if I will be able to get the new system right away so I need a back up plan) what is the best method, if possible, so that at least I can transfer over some of my data to my new microsd card so that when I do get the system I can just pop it in and redownload my VC games

You'll need to do a system transfer. You can roll the dice and call Nintendo customer support to transfer your NNID to a new machine (though I imagine they will be swamped tomorrow and they could always say no) but your best bet is to figure out some way to get a system transfer done with the new system.

I'm transferring to a microSD and will be putting that in my current machine using a converter. That way, I can system transfer my licenses and saves, rest assured that any formatting the transfer needs to do on SD data to prep for N3DS gets done, and then put the microSD directly into the n3DS.

It's still a bit of work, but the easiest way I know of to be absolutely sure everything transfers correctly.

My MH4U XL has moved to "Shipping" but has no information despite selecting One Day Shipping from Gamestop.

However, my friend's MM XL with Two Day shipping from Gamestop is fully tracked and is already leaving Kentucky.

Goddamnit, Gamestop.

Soul Beat

Cross post. My GS order's finally shipping. Or preparing to be shipped anyway. Don't know where it's coming from though. I know my friend's is being shipped from Kentucky. :/

My MH4U XL has moved to "Shipping" but has no information despite selecting One Day Shipping from Gamestop.

However, my friend's MM XL with Two Day shipping from Gamestop is fully tracked and is already leaving Kentucky.

Goddamnit, Gamestop.

Same here, I just wanna know if it'll be here before I leave for work tomorrow.
Oh and another question for you guys, I have this here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P5VKSE/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and I know it works well with the SD card I have but does anybody know if it'll read a micro sd card in an adapter?

Alfredo

Who else is going to try and get one tomorrow without a pre-order? I wanna do the Gamestop trade-in deal, but it looks like I might be out of luck without a pre-order.

Nintendo is the absolute worst when it comes to reasonably stocking retail. Most stores have only pre-order units, and those who have extra have like one or two. Depressingly terrible in 2015.

Los8KyM.jpg

The image shows two marks it's actually one. Once the lid is closed it would approximately where the raised edge of the bottom screen would be I think.

There is of course the outside chance that I never noticed the scratch from day one and it's always been there but I think I would have noticed.

Like I say, it's barely been used.

I've got the same mark on my XL but I can clean it off easily. It's the C stick who does this mark and the lower screen.

I think you should relax and deal with it. Even when I took care of my 3ds XL and always but a microfibre cloth between teh screen, I got scratches. They are invisible during gameplay so who cares ?
This issue will never be resolved as long as the two screens are not symetric.

You just need to deal with it and accept it becaus eit have no impact on gameplay. It's a lot like the scratch you will get if you play a lot with the stylus. Even if you are carefull, playing a game like Theathrythm will put scratch on your screen. But they are so tiny and only visible at an angle with strong light so why should we care ?

Screen protectors are neither a solution because they fill teh gap between the screens and you could even damage them long term. You wil lalso damage the protectors and the scratch could be even more intrusive.

It's just a cheap handheld who purpose is to be carried everywhere, you shouldn't care if there is invisible micro scratches.

Top Bottom