• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

So...I took your idea and totally ran with it.
please don't hate me :(

It looks stunning!

It cost me $30, at a printing/design shop, but totally worth it.

My Zelda plate arrived arrived from Nintendo today, too!

The design shop was able to apply the wavy line place, but the machine had issues after, so they called me back today, to finish the job.

Perfect timing.

Edit: After looking at the pics, I relalized I didn't have the front of the gold bottom plate fully snapped in.

Looks much better now.

The final product looks great!

dhonk

So I got a New 3DS XL and Im absolutely loving it. Never had another 3DS, and kind of glad. Used my brothers 3DS XL and there was too much that I didnt like. The new model fixes so many of my issues with the old one, mainly that the 3D actually works now.

So far Ive got the Hori SMB hard case, Majoras Mask, Picross E, Luigis Mansion 2, Donkey Kong Country, New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7. Last four I got for 15 each. Yeah.... I bought 6 physical games in the span of 2 weeks... Haha. (send help)

The final product looks great!

I wanted the Family Computer lettering a tad smaller, than it ended up being - overall, I'm fully satisfied.

I've never made my own customized system - it does look much better, compared to a lot of the standard LE's I've seen Nintendo release.

I wanted the system to look classy & unique, while being wholly Nintendo, in feel and aesthetic.

I took the design of a Gaffer and made it happen ^_~

Mission accomplished.

SeanR1221

Well I wasn't planning on getting one, but my wife surprised me. Since we're hosting Easter I won't get to really play around with it until tomorrow, and I need to grab a 32gb card anyway.

So!
Can I use a 64gb card or is 32 the highest

Recomendations on the card? Preferably something I can grab at best buy price matching amazon

I have a ton of downloaded games so transferring by my Mac would be easiest. Any links to a simple to follow transfer procedure?

Thanks guys :)

wilflare

Well I wasn't planning on getting one, but my wife surprised me. Since we're hosting Easter I won't get to really play around with it until tomorrow, and I need to grab a 32gb card anyway.

So!
Can I use a 64gb card or is 32 the highest

Recomendations on the card? Preferably something I can grab at best buy price matching amazon

I have a ton of downloaded games so transferring by my Mac would be easiest. Any links to a simple to follow transfer procedure?

Thanks guys :)

64GB works just be sure to format it correctly. Fat32 if I remember correctly.

there's a transfer guide link in the OT - Do check it out!

and congrats :D

SeanR1221

Nice. Maybe I'll hit Costco tomorrow. I think they have 64gb cards cheap. I'm all digital so I'd rather not run out of space any time soon

Mercutio

But doesn't it screw up when it goes past 32gb stored sometimes? I wouldn't wanna risk that.

Oh man, I just read the IPS vs TN screen thread. Holy crap. There are basically two versions of the system!

Zing

Banned
The only issue with 64GB FAT32 partitions is the FAT table consuming a larger share of the storage, and potential performance degradation if the cluster size isn't increased accordingly.

In other words, it should be fine on the 3DS, other than it taking a few more seconds to show icons upon first boot.

Pachimari

Just found out my hinge is a little loose too, but whatever.

Got my Hori screen protector from Play-Asia, and applied it successfully on the touch-screen. Am I the only one having a screen protector on the touch-screen only, and not on the top screen?

I also just bought the Phoenix Wright trilogy and is playing, and greatly enjoying the first game in the series. I wonder if there's other digital games worth getting. I got Box Boy as well.

By the way, which SD card should I get? I found a 128gb one from Lexar and one from Kingston.

Zing

Banned
I've had a handful of brands and speeds of SD cards here. Totally based on my own benchmarks, I would stay away from Kingston. They consistently benchmark significantly slower than any other, even the supposedly fast models.

I tend to stick with Sandisk.

El Odio

Banned
GameStop will let you do a system transfer if you upgrade in store right? Looking to trade in my original 3DS for some chump change to lower the cost but I wanna be sure I can transfer before I do.

Jedi2016

Yep. Here's mine, was £4 from eBay:

Its really good. Its called the crystal grip. Build quality is fantastic and the console snaps into place firmly. And it was less than a fiver. Bargain.
Thanks for that. I've been looking at the different grips available, but I hadn't read any actual user reviews.

It's been different lately because I've been catching up on my Layton games, so I've been playing almost exclusively with the stylus for months now. Actually playing a proper game that requires access to the face and shoulder buttons, and the XL suddenly becomes pretty unwieldy, that's why I was looking for some grips.

As for the stylus discussion, yeah, I can't stand the one that's included. I had bought one of those third-party accessory kits back when I first got my OG 3DS, and it came with a stylus that's sized like a regular pen. It's the only one I've used pretty much since the beginning. The one that's included works in a pinch, of course, but I don't like it for long-term play that uses the stylus a lot (like the aforementioned Layton games).

Pachimari

I've had a handful of brands and speeds of SD cards here. Totally based on my own benchmarks, I would stay away from Kingston. They consistently benchmark significantly slower than any other, even the supposedly fast models.

I tend to stick with Sandisk.

So you would recommend something like this or this?

Yep. Here's mine, was £4 from eBay:

Its really good. Its called the crystal grip. Build quality is fantastic and the console snaps into place firmly. And it was less than a fiver. Bargain.
Is there a great grip for the normal sized N3DS?

garath

I got approval from the wife to grab one for myself for a birthday gift. Keeping an eye out for a deal on the system or games that I'd want. This is going to be my first Nintendo system since the original gameboy lol.

Interested in fire emblem, bravely default, Zelda and xenoblade.

I have amazon credit I want to use but amazon is seemingly perpetually sold out :/ not going to pay a 30 dollar premium from a third party seller. Maybe the plan should be getting it locally then buying the games from amazon.

I know this has been discussed to death but its also stupid that there is no charging cable included. Sigh. Have to buy one of those too.

SeanR1221

The only issue with 64GB FAT32 partitions is the FAT table consuming a larger share of the storage, and potential performance degradation if the cluster size isn't increased accordingly.

In other words, it should be fine on the 3DS, other than it taking a few more seconds to show icons upon first boot.

Hmmmmm. So definitely no other risks?

HooYaH

I got approval from the wife to grab one for myself for a birthday gift. Keeping an eye out for a deal on the system or games that I'd want. This is going to be my first Nintendo system since the original gameboy lol.

Interested in fire emblem, bravely default, Zelda and xenoblade.

I have amazon credit I want to use but amazon is seemingly perpetually sold out :/ not going to pay a 30 dollar premium from a third party seller. Maybe the plan should be getting it locally then buying the games from amazon.

I know this has been discussed to death but its also stupid that there is no charging cable included. Sigh. Have to buy one of those too.

I don't think Amazon sells Nintendo console/handheld hardware anymore.

Which is the best Mega Man game I can currently get on the 3DS?

[edit]

Anyone know if I should go for this or this SD card?
Ultra should be enough to do most things with N3DS. Loading is like 3 seconds and I use Ultra.
Also best Mega Man game is subjective. I like MegaMan 3 on NES.
If you are talking about Gameboy series, I hear Megaman 5 is good.

garath

I don't think Amazon sells Nintendo console/handheld hardware anymore.

Wow. You're right. Crazy. Found a Kotaku article about it. Very strange. Oh well. Guess the only option is locally. No biggie. At least they sell the games. I can use the credit there.

Zing

Banned
Why didn't anyone tell me that you can move forward/backward pages on the 3DS main screen using ZL/ZR? I've been wanting a touch-free method of doing this since day one!

Wow. You're right. Crazy. Found a Kotaku article about it. Very strange. Oh well. Guess the only option is locally. No biggie. At least they sell the games. I can use the credit there.
Only Amazon.com does not sell 3DS units directly.
Amazon in Europe and Japan still do.

Rich!

Why didn't anyone tell me that you can move forward/backward pages on the 3DS main screen using ZL/ZR? I've been wanting a touch-free method of doing this since day one!

I did in the Australian launch OT back in November! Heh

Anyone else think the normal sized one will be in the US by the end of the year? I cold see it showing up once the normal XL and OG 3ds stock is dwindled. Heck most places only advertise the new 3ds and the 2DS now.

Pachimari

Number 12, it is a light gray color. Totally recommend it.
I am rocking Number 40 (Pokémon) and Number 24 (Wood) right now.

Thanks. I'll probably import it from Amazon US. Pretty expensive.

Which battery would you guys recommend me? Would this one fit in a New Nintendo 3DS?
I'm thinking of having some extra batteries in my 3DS bag, and a little screw-driver, so I can exchange the battery if it runs out during a trip.

Converse

Banned
Hey there, question for the New 3DS XL folks. I plan on picking one up in a little over a week, and am ordering all the accessories (imported dock, screwdriver, microSD, etc.). I'm looking for just the right case, and since most 3DS cases are godawful ugly, I'll be repurposing another kind of pouch.

So, my question is, how prone to scratching is the glossy finish of the New XL? I'm assuming a 100-percent cotton-lined case would be a safe bet (whereas something like canvas or linen would probably scratch it)? If ya'll have any experience there, I'd appreciate it.

Anyone else think the normal sized one will be in the US by the end of the year? I cold see it showing up once the normal XL and OG 3ds stock is dwindled. Heck most places only advertise the new 3ds and the 2DS now.

I'd like to see it, but I'm not holding my breath. They might just not release it in the North American market similar to how there's no 2DS in Japan.

I sure hope so. I'd definitely go for the black unit with the glow-in-the-dark Boo faceplates.

Also, I hope NOA retains the colored buttons. But that's unlikely.

Pachimari

Any digital only games I should get on the eShop?

I got Phoenix Wright Trilogy, the ambassador GBA games and is planning to get Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies and Shin Megami Tensei IV. But is there anything else, which is not out on Steam or any other platform?

I have the free-to-play games like Pokémon Shuffle, Steel Divers etc.

Shizuka

I got Phoenix Wright Trilogy, the ambassador GBA games and is planning to get Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies and Shin Megami Tensei IV. But is there anything else, which is not out on Steam or any other platform?

I have the free-to-play games like Pokémon Shuffle, Steel Divers etc.

Senran Kagura Burst and Inazuma Eleven.

If you like puzzles, Pushmo/Crashmo and Boxboy are really good.
Also if you don't have a console/PC, Shovel Knight is boss.

I'd like to see it, but I'm not holding my breath. They might just not release it in the North American market similar to how there's no 2DS in Japan.
I feel the same way. I moved onto a PAL new 3DS already.

Edit: Also yeah the uncommon/rare faceplates have spiked in value. My dreams of the Majora's Mask one are dead (thank you Nin-Nin for canceling my pre-order...)

Zing

Banned
So, my question is, how prone to scratching is the glossy finish of the New XL? I'm assuming a 100-percent cotton-lined case would be a safe bet (whereas something like canvas or linen would probably scratch it)? If ya'll have any experience there, I'd appreciate it.
It seems to be the same material as the original 3DS. That is to say, it seems extremely durable and scratch resistant.

Converse

Banned
It seems to be the same material as the original 3DS. That is to say, it seems extremely durable and scratch resistant.

Excellent, thanks for the response. I ended up going with a case from Etsy that has a 100-percent cotton lining -- having that input makes me pretty confident that it'll be fine.

I figured Nintendo would have the good sense to make a portable fairly scratch-resistant, but man, you can put hairline scratches on the Wii U's glossy finish by breathing on it, so I wanted to be sure.

Howdy folks.

I'm thinking about getting one of these in the near future and want to go all digital. I have a spare 32GB MicroSD card lying about that I used with an old Samsung Galaxy S3.

Do I need to format it in any special way to make it useable on the New 3DS XL?

The only way that I have to format it would be to stick it back in the S3 and do a format that way, but I don't own any other way to format such a card.

Edit: Also, are all retail 3DS releases available for purchase digitally?

Danneee

Howdy folks.

I'm thinking about getting one of these in the near future and want to go all digital. I have a spare 32GB MicroSD card lying about that I used with an old Samsung Galaxy S3.

Do I need to format it in any special way to make it useable on the New 3DS XL?

The only way that I have to format it would be to stick it back in the S3 and do a format that way, but I don't own any other way to format such a card.

Edit: Also, are all retail 3DS releases available for purchase digitally?

FAT32, it should already be formatted like that AFAIK.

No, not all titles are available digitally.

Etria

I'm not sure, but is the 3DS region locked?
So if I want to play Yokai Watch, I have to import a console as well?

Yup, it's region-locked. So you have to import a Japanese 3DS to play Yokai Watch. (On older firmwares, you may be able to break the region lock, but I'm not sure of the specifics.)

There is a localisation of the first Yokai Watch game supposedly coming out this year, but a concrete date hasn't been given yet. You could always wait for the western release if you're not in a hurry.

Pachimari

Yup, it's region-locked. So you have to import a Japanese 3DS to play Yokai Watch. (On older firmwares, you may be able to break the region lock, but I'm not sure of the specifics.)

There is a localisation of the first Yokai Watch game supposedly coming out this year, but a concrete date hasn't been given yet. You could always wait for the western release if you're not in a hurry.

But after today's announcements, I'm worried that Yokai Watch 3 will be the firsts entry in the West. But nothing is certain yet.

Which battery would you guys recommend me? Would this one fit in a New Nintendo 3DS?
I'm thinking of having some extra batteries in my 3DS bag, and a little screw-driver, so I can exchange the battery if it runs out during a trip.
Can someone help me with an extra battery?

Etria

But after today's announcements, I'm worried that Yokai Watch 3 will be the firsts entry in the West. But nothing is certain yet.

Like you said, nothing is certain yet! Other posters have given reasons why Level-5 won't skip 1 + 2. Besides, if they want to establish Youkai Watch as a huge franchise in the west, they will most likely start with the first entry because that makes the most logical sense, and is more economically favourable as well.

At any rate, an English announcement will probably come soon alongside the Hasbro toys or something.

I wanted the Family Computer lettering a tad smaller, than it ended up being - overall, I'm fully satisfied.

I've never made my own customized system - it does look much better, compared to a lot of the standard LE's I've seen Nintendo release.

I wanted the system to look classy & unique, while being wholly Nintendo, in feel and aesthetic.

I took the design of a Gaffer and made it happen ^_~

Mission accomplished.

It's seriously awesome. Consider sharing the pics with the folks in this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991208

Marchiott

Good ol' Reggie, going out of his way to save us all some money :(

I suppose by Christmas, we'd have a pretty good idea of whether it will ever happen or not.

Top Bottom