• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Phantasy Star Universe Screens

olimario

Banned
New to me. Looks better than before.
SHIRCLE CADOWS!

3056620050722_153216_5_big.jpg
3056620050722_153215_2_big.jpg
3056620050722_153215_0_big.jpg
3056620050722_153217_9_big.jpg
3056620050722_153216_6_big.jpg
3056620050722_153217_7_big.jpg
3056620050722_153216_3_big.jpg
3056620050722_153216_3_big.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
sucks about the circle shadows...this game better have 4P splitscreen...the GC version spoiled me in that regard

BuddyC

Wakune said:
sucks about the circle shadows...this game better have 4P splitscreen...the GC version spoiled me in that regard
Doubtful, since online/offline are seperate games and the online character is stored server-side.

Gattsu25

Banned
BuddyC said:
Doubtful, since online/offline are seperate games and the online character is stored server-side.
I figured as much but am still hopeful. I'm not paying for online so any money on this game is likely to rely on some form of offline multiplayer

BuddyC

Wakune said:
I figured as much but am still hopeful. I'm not paying for online so any money on this game is likely to rely on some form of offline multiplayer
Remember, monthly online fees + one-time game purchase > one-time game purchase, in terms of profit.

VerTiGo

Banned
This game looks great and you fags complain about shadows? Graphics whores are really starting to get annoying.

jett

D-Member
That looks TOTALLY DREAMCAST. I remember someone saying that EGM(or it may have been an EGM editor posting on the board) thought it was one of the best looking games they had seen. ROOFLZ.

Leewan

I could care less. I'm just hoping they bring back the traditional Phantasy Star RPG sometime in the future

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
I think the character models are just a BIT more detailed in PSU...

3056620050722_153216_5_big.jpg

pso_b2_screen001.jpg

3056620050722_153215_2_big.jpg

pso_b3_screen041.jpg
Seriously. I've noticed lately that it seems like people have almost completely forgotten what Dreamcast games ACTUALLY looked like.

Looks hot, but really, why do we still have circle shadows in this day and age? Maybe they're just placeholders. Even with the circle shadows, though, looks great.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Looks better in many ways than 2001's DC game, but a DC game from 2005 is a different matter.

Redbeard

Banned
VerTiGo said:
This game looks great and you fags complain about shadows? Graphics whores are really starting to get annoying.

Looks great? This looks like ass, circle shadows or not. Some of these characters look like they belong in Sudeki.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Interesting aesthetic, but doesn't seem to have quite the production values of a Phantasy Star Online.

Pimpbaa

Redbeard said:
Looks great? This looks like ass, circle shadows or not. Some of these characters look like they belong in Sudeki.

Holy crap, you're right. The characters reminded me of something, but I quite couldn't place it before.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Redbeard said:

Some.. yeah I can see where you are coming from, however not all, and that already puts it leagues ahead :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
Interesting aesthetic, but doesn't seem to have quite the production values of a Phantasy Star Online.

Well you SAID a "DC game from 2005"...

I can't think of too many other DC games from 2005. :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
New trailer from the PS Meeting:

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/683/683215/vids_1.html

Short but sweet. Not much new, does show the android Endrum Collective from the new screenshots though which look like being a rival to you in the offline game.

Most interesting thing about the new trailer is it's all in English, from the cut-scenes to the in-game weapon names. Hopefully this is a sign PSU will be multi-language like the original PSO and Episode I&II, and we can just get the Japanese version and choose English in the options.

Bebpo

Banned
Nothing wrong with circle shadows. Shadows take such a performance hit on games and are totally not worth it especially if they're gonna bring down the framerate from 60fps.

I know when I play PC games and the framerate isn't a stable 60fps the first thing that goes off is the shadows and I think I'm not alone here.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I dunno, we finally get a true sequel to PSO and all people can do is bitch about shadows!

Good old GAF.

It's just bitter Sega fans. The visual delta between the PS2 and the Dreamcast keeps getting more and more vast, and the Sega fans keep getting sadder and sadder. :(

Dreamcast rocked for what it was, completely. It defined a gaming era for me, but it can never go beyond that. EXCEPT In 2009! DREAMCAST LIVES!!!!!!!

Lazy8s said:
Looks better in many ways than 2001's DC game, but a DC game from 2005 is a different matter.
That's the stupidest goddamn thing you ever said, and I'm one to keep track of these things.

In fact, let's throw it against a Jeffahn classic:
Jeffahn said:
saying that you're still going to buy Sega games is not the same as sticking with a console.

You're both fucking rocket surgeons.

I have to say, these PSU pics are doctored. Where's the jaggies? You know damn well that a game on the PS2 has jaggies since the system is not capable of having fast anti aliasing...unless these are the PC version. Ever see doctored Shenmue pics? They look better than that direct capture gamespot pic (which isn't the best quality I have seen). I know Sega is forced to show pics like this because you'd never forgive them for telling the truth like they usually do.

About the DC, It is sad that we really never seen companies spend large budgets maxing out DC hardware, but that's just the past. Who knows if the DC could've kept up with the PS2 or not if given a chance. Who cares about that anyways, just play the damn games.

Shouta

That's what the PC version more or less looks like when you actually play it. The models are kinda ugly when you see them in ingame cutscenes but not look pretty good when you're fighting in combat.

MarkMacD

I hope this game makes it. It's still one of my most anticipated games just based on PSO but the E3 version was also one of my biggest disappointments of the show....

Shouta

PSU was actually one of my biggest surprises for E3 since it turned out to be a lot different than PSO and along the lines of what I thought PSO was going to be like originally.

Zeo

Banned
Redbeard said:

Uh no, you're obviously blind. This game is damn pretty.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The E3 trailer is worth checking out if they get it working, lots of gameplay footage (shows the z-trigger style lock-on in combat, dual-wielding and first-person aiming) and also shows character creation at the end.

Character creation seems much more detailed than PSO, which was already good in the first place.

Top Bottom