• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil Movie With Higher Budget in Development by Screen Gems

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
reslide.jpg

The entire Anderson run reportedly made 1.2 billion…and this was back when movie budgets weren’t insanely bloated like they are today.

How the fuck did House of the Dead even make 13 million.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Half the people posting here are probably to young but the first RE movie in the theatres was a banger honestly, still have the VCD in a slipcase somewhere as well.

Probably give it a rewatch now.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’d applaud them if they had the balls to make a trans Nemesis
Funnily enough you could kind of/nearly get that from existing material. Dead Aim has a beauty obsessed man that turns into a female looking tyrant complete with tits and, oddly, built in high heels.

In recent years the wiki page for that character has been updated with new pronouns to reflect the character's fan canon status as a trans character, something that can be compared using archive.org. If I were in the trans community I wouldn't want to claim an evil lunatic man that turns into a monstrous parody of a woman as an example of trans representation, but that's just me.

Last edited:
When will these people realize that "higher budgets" means fuck all?

There are so many completely mediocre movies that have been coming out since forever, all with budgets that you could stack up high, and sleep on.

With the success of the Fallout series, I can't make the argument that "nobody wants this".

It's just so annoying to me that video games have moved on from movie licensed games for a while now. Because they knew that shit very rarely, worked.

But movies? Let's make a Borderlands movie, even though it looks like absolute shit. I wonder why! Is almost like the world and characters of Borderlands works better in video games!
Let's make ANOTHER Resident Evil movie, just more expensive, lowest common denomiator, fan service slop.

SaintALia

Please don't make it woke. I don't want to see a trans Chris or an Asian Wesker.
Don't worry, you'll just get an original(DO NOT STEAL) Mary Sue character instead.

Being 'woke' should be one of your least concerns in an RE movie at this point. The ones that actually got made have been on a scale of decent to mediocre to downright shit.

I feel any RE movie now can't possibly be worse than the last movie, or as bad as the series, but maybe on par with RE by Anderson, I mean those weren't great, but that's where my bar is right now.

Also, please don't be faithful to the actual RE storyline. RE story and characterisation is just various degrees of laughably, horribly bad(I haven't played the 3 most recent ones tho, so maybe the writing improved dramatically with those). I mean, that's part of why I love it. But asking me to take it seriously in a movie, well...I don't know man.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Yet people still watch them, a much better question would be; why don't they get better staff for these projects?
BTW, why using MonHun as an example, which it's not that much of a blockbuster franchise internationally compared to Resident Evil (at the very least, not back in 2020), when Welcome to Raccoon City was still a financial success?

Gamers, especially on forums, say the dumbest things. Not a very good comparison, IMO.
To be fair, Monster Hunter World is Capcoms most successful game by far at 24 mil unites sold. Monster Hunter Rise is second place at 14 mil. The games, at the very least, dwarf RE

Inspector Q

Seriously, it shouldn't be THAT hard to come up with a successful adaptation of the first RE game. That trash Netflix RE series got 8 episodes. That should be more than enough time to do some good character work.

Just start the show prior to Bravo Team being sent in. Establish the relationships between the various characters. There is plenty of stuff to work with here....Jill's past, Chris being a hotshot marksman, Barry and his family, Rebecca being the rookie, etc. Maybe even have Alpha and Bravo perform some unrelated mission successfully together PRIOR to the Mansion Incident. Basically, this will make you care about what actually happens to these characters when the shit hits the fan.

Also, make Wesker a likeable asshole who is efficient as the team leader...and hire this guy for the role:

The Boys Smile GIF by Amazon Prime Video

But yeah, it really shouldn't be that hard to come up with a decent tv series based on RE1. These people seem clueless, though.

The 2002 Resident Evil wasn’t meant to be Resident Evil. It was a spec script that Anderson wrote and would take elsewhere if it was rejected by Constantin Film.

Last edited:

TheKratos

And they still fucked it up. Only a few select scenes and costumes are in anyway faithful.
Chris and Claire being brought up in an orphanage by Birkin.
Chris being the one with the bike and Claire being a "conspiracy" nut.
Mexican Leon being an utter dumbass.
Black Jill being in love with Wesker.
Chief Irons being a coward instead of corrupt maniac.
Wesker being mixed with Barry and being coerced by Umbrella and Ada instead of being the actual antagonist.

Whole thing is utter dogshit and needs to be forgotten.
This read like a "how to fuck up the franchise" idea list. No way this is true, lmfao.

We don't want a continuation of that crappy WTRC movie. It Will certainly fail, they should just stop investing in making movies or series of RE if they are not going to respect the source material.

Top Bottom