• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Svarlet & Violet 15 Minutes of Gameplay Trailer

Draugoth

Gold Member

Official artwork for Farigiraf, the evolved form of Girafarig

FeY1V_aWYAAYVhd

You now have the ability to craft TMs using various materials found within the Paldea region as well as League Points

FeY3uZ1WAAIn2Ut

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Skimmed through. Looks alright but I can't tell. Sword & Shield was the final straw for me with mainline Pokémon but Arceus won me over so I'm wondering if they're taken some of the better aspects of that and applied them here.

Saiyan-Rox

Tarastalize...seriously?

Is it someones job to come up with a new gimmick for every new Pokémon game now?

Oh and they added auto battle too so now the game can play itself :D

Last edited:

Fbh

Aside from the horrible graphics and middle school aesthetic of the characters, it looks pretty decent.
Haven't played a mainline Pokemon since X/Y but at least it looks like they are trying to something a bit different this time around, and you can see some of the Arceus influence.

Maybe when Nintendo has hardware comparable to a Ps6 Gamefreak will be able to make Ps4 tier graphics

stn

Yup, looks like Pokemon. Hope I can finally transfer all of my old Pokemanz into this game.

Saber

More than 10 minutes of basically nothing. As if anything besides the evolution was a new thing.
And people still praise it lol

BlakeofT

I'm excited for this game but man parts of it look so rough. Look at the texture on the fence at 3:53, the windmill spin at 7:17, and how close you have to be for the bushes to pop in at 5:32.

jaysius

Banned
That base raid or whatever mechanic is fucking awful, pressing one button 30 times with no strategy or anything involved, it's the worse bastardization of the new overworld battle command.

OMFG the flower pokemon in the gym trainer part aren't even moving at the right framerate... WTF IS THIS?

Camping was in Sword and was "missing" from Acerus, thankfully but now that shit is back.

Also god damn this is a dog's breakfast, I guess we'll never see a nice looking pokemon.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
That ‘tarastalizing’ thing has to be the wackiest gimmick I’ve ever seen. They literally put random objects on the Pokemon’s head, but also make it look like a crystal for some reason? What is even the logic here? It really feels like they’re just throwing random stuff at the wall every generation now. Why couldn’t they’ve just continued with mega evolutions instead? Instead, every gen they come up with new, ever more ridiculous gimmicks that get discarded after one gen.

And I have to say, the lack of voice acting is really distracting at this point. Having these elaborate cutscenes with people talking, but when their mouths move no sound comes out, is just silly.

AetherZX

That ‘tarastalizing’ thing has to be the wackiest gimmick I’ve ever seen. They literally put random objects on the Pokemon’s head, but also make it look like a crystal for some reason? What is even the logic here?
For colorblind people to actually tell what type it happens to be upon terastalizing.

Saiyan-Rox

That ‘tarastalizing’ thing has to be the wackiest gimmick I’ve ever seen. They literally put random objects on the Pokemon’s head, but also make it look like a crystal for some reason? What is even the logic here? It really feels like they’re just throwing random stuff at the wall every generation now. Why couldn’t they’ve just continued with mega evolutions instead? Instead, every gen they come up with new, ever more ridiculous gimmicks that get discarded after one gen.

And I have to say, the lack of voice acting is really distracting at this point. Having these elaborate cutscenes with people talking, but when their mouths move no sound comes out, is just silly.

Mega evolution was the last major new addition they added that actually felt like it could stay and more added through the gens

But they abandoned it for stupid shit

BootsLoader

Banned
There’s so much friction in the battle with that Tarstalizeteted thing or whatever it is called. Pokémon games needs to be simpler. Dafuq is that shit?

Saber

Pokemon's poor visuals has less to do with Switch's power, the system can pull off great visuals but GameFreak are not willing to do it.
vi7n31pzyqb91.jpg
628399af8526c25e2316f176-1.jpg

astral-chain-nintendo-switch-screenshots-079.jpg
Monster-Hunter-Rise-Sunbreak-Screenshot-010.jpg

I think that approach with Mario Rabbits, or even Mario Odyssey would do wonders for pokemon games. Lol, some people even suggested they could approach the 2D pixel style(like DQ and similar are doing now) and that actually would be amazing. Its just that GF is still on the stone age, using a 15 minutes videos to show how an open world map markers work( like ow, gamechanging).

Last edited:
Skimmed through. Looks alright but I can't tell. Sword & Shield was the final straw for me with mainline Pokémon but Arceus won me over so I'm wondering if they're taken some of the better aspects of that and applied them here.
I only buy Pokémon games anymore to play mode of it the bdsp mod Pokémon luminescent is incredible if something like that comes out near launch for scarlet and violet I will get it

nikos

Seems like a step back from Arceus to me, but if the co-op is actually good/viable for progression it could save it. Arceus with actual co-op exploration and progression would have been perfect.

Aside from the horrible graphics and middle school aesthetic of the characters, it looks pretty decent.
Haven't played a mainline Pokemon since X/Y but at least it looks like they are trying to something a bit different this time around, and you can see some of the Arceus influence.

Maybe when Nintendo has hardware comparable to a Ps6 Gamefreak will be able to make Ps4 tier graphics
Or just look at the modding community I’m playing Pokémon luminescent (a bdsp rom hack to make it like renegade platinum) and it adds raytraced shadows to the game as well as makes it 60fps

Mato

Those N64-quality textures at 3:52, gee. And the tiled textures at 4:00... it takes like 5 minutes to solve that with a hacky solution in Unity's shader graph. Use some stochastic texturing you cheap assholes.

Pokemon Shield/Sword look way better than this trash... And they need to stop adding new ridiculous thing every gen... Mega-evolution, gigamax,now crystall shit...

I was a fanboy of Pokemon but since switch games the licence going in a very bad way for me...

Kusarigama

Terastalizing(?) seems to over complicate and battles. Mega evolution were kinda novel idea for the time. I feel apathetic toward scarlet and violet.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm sorry but this game is butt ugly, regardless of the millions of copies it will go on to sell.

ebevan91

Graphics are :messenger_grimmacing_ but I'm not gonna lie I'm kinda stanning Quaxly now after watching that video.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
If this didn't have the Pokemon name.

Imagine paying for this.

In before "but it's not about the graphics!". You're right, it's about having some standard for the developer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom