• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Svarlet & Violet 15 Minutes of Gameplay Trailer

Markio128

Stunning visuals!

young frankenstein igor GIF

Comandr

Absolutely pathetic how terrible and low budget this game is, when companies like Falcom release a game that blows this away in effort and only sells 30k

W3umiUX.png
I genuinely don't understand how GameFreak can get away with stuff like this. The textures on absolutely everything here outside of the MC are absolute shit. This is some N64 level textures right here. It's more frustrating than anything that a ultra popular franchise like Pokémon is stuck in their hands. And that Terastalize shit has to be the worst new mechanic in a long time. It's so gaudy and awful.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

I'm excited to play this but I hate how it's always two steps forward and one step back with GameFreak.

Why remove the seamless overworld battles?

And after playing XC3 and how great that game looks and run of the Swtich to these visuals is just.. baffling.

I'm excited to play this but I hate how it's always two steps forward and one step back with GameFreak.

Why remove the seamless overworld battles?

And after playing XC3 and how great that game looks and run of the Swtich to these visuals is just.. baffling.

The vast majority of development was done before Arceus release and immense popularity. I imagine the next game will incorporate all the great things about Arceus

mcjmetroid

I'm never sure who is to blame everytime we see one of these games:
The people who keep buying these games

The reviewers who keep giving them 8-10 scores

GameFreak for being an extremely greedy cheap developer

Nintendo themselves for not stepping in
----
This series has been a shitshow for some time now. They should be embarassed to be showing off footage like that.

Fake

I genuinely don't understand how GameFreak can get away with stuff like this.

Because Pokemon brand is too damn strong, like CoD.

They even use the remove of Pokemon as an excuse for making more visuals.

They just need to give the game to another Nintendo Dev. If I would suggest, either Xenoblade devs or Zelda devs.

AetherZX

Some of you really need to take a few steps out of your weird internet bubble and realize the average buyer of these games does not give a fuck about this franchise's visual fidelity.

Virtually every single thread now, like clockwork. You're probably not the audience for this and that's okay.

Hero_Select

Some of you really need to take a few steps out of your weird internet bubble and realize the average buyer of these games does not give a fuck about this franchise's visual fidelity.

Virtually every single thread now, like clockwork. You're probably not the audience for this and that's okay.
People are still allowed to voice their opinions regardless of the "average buyer"

Most of the people here, myself included, grew up with Pokemon. There's nothing wrong with wanting the franchise to do better.

AetherZX

People are still allowed to voice their opinions regardless of the "average buyer"

Most of the people here, myself included, grew up with Pokemon. There's nothing wrong with wanting the franchise to do better.
Sure you can do that, but I'm non-ironically seeing some conspiracy theories regarding the series. Which is just sheer lunacy territory. Along with a... Call of Duty comparison in here? What year is it?

At some point if you see a franchise isn't satisfying your expectations in a front, it's better for you to tap out rather than straight up insult the consumers for having different expectations.

Hero_Select

Sure you can do that, but I'm non-ironically seeing some conspiracy theories regarding the series. Which is just sheer lunacy territory. Along with a... Call of Duty comparison in here? What year is it?

At some point if you see a franchise isn't satisfying your expectations in a front, it's better for you to tap out rather than straight up insult the consumers for having different expectations.
Yeah no I agree the people going that far are just weirdos.

For what it's worth I'm excited for the game - probably the most I've been for a Pokemon game in years and I've played all the mainline games. My main hope is for the world to be fun to explore. Gimmie some winding caves and "dungeons" with rare/legendary pokemon tucked away.

If you don't care about the amount of effort put into a game, then why do you care that other people do? Do other people criticizing a game developer to do better (knowing full well they absolutely can) hurt your enjoyment of a game? The only reason for Gamefreak to put effort into their games is if they get shamed for it, not by boycotting them because it will do nothing as the games will still be very profitable. In other words, call them out on their greed, call them out a business that tries to nickel every single dime out of their fanbase by cutting as many corners as they can. Only then will they get embarassed and finally hire more people or outsource work. Just look at all the outsourcing Nintendo does to companies like Capcom and Ubisoft.

Call of Duty reference? You mean the 1 person that just used it as an example of a strong brand? What conspiracies? There's none that I can find scanning through this thread. You sound unhinged.

Last edited:

AetherZX

Only then will they get embarassed and finally hire more people or outsource work. Just look at all the outsourcing Nintendo does to companies like Capcom and Ubisoft.

They've been doing this, on both accounts actually; maybe do your research next time. Also, the series is managed by The Pokemon Company-- whom you'll discover is a joint venture of not just Game Freak, but Nintendo and Creatures Inc. as well.

Call of Duty reference? You mean the 1 person that just used it as an example of a strong brand? What conspiracies? There's none that I can find scanning through this thread. You sound unhinged.

Call of Duty comparisons throughout history in discussion boards are often carrying negative connotations relating to "effort", pretty clear what the objective was there. And you can play dumb as much you want regarding the other posts, including one in particular suggesting it's detrimental to children. Quite literally era levels of insanity.

They've been doing this, on both accounts actually; maybe do your research next time. Also, the series is managed by The Pokemon Company-- whom you'll discover is a joint venture of not just Game Freak, but Nintendo and Creatures Inc. as well.

How is outsourcing work to a bunch of nobodies and hiring 23 people argue against my point? Every developer does that including small development studios. The issue is as proven by your links that Pokemon is developed with low budgets and low standards.
Again, the only way for Gamefreak to put actually effort and a bigger budget into their games is by criticizing and shaming them, because refusing to buy their products will not work. e.g. Microsoft with the disc less Xbox.

Call of Duty comparisons throughout history in discussion boards are often carrying negative connotations relating to "effort", pretty clear what the objective was there. And you can play dumb as much you want regarding the other posts, including one in particular suggesting it's detrimental to children. Quite literally era levels of insanity.
I don't see the conspiracies you mentioned. Please expand on this.

Call of Duty is a good comparison, because of their popularity and how they spam low quality games. Yet they still have actual budgets put into them, so they're still a large step ahead of Pokemon.

Rykan

Average buyer? What does that even mean? Pokemon is an incredibly broad franchises that is being played by people of all ages. Trying to narrow a franchise with such broad appeal to "Average buyer" is strange: There's plenty of people who like the pokemon games, but are disappointed that they have such lacking graphics. They'll still buy it and enjoy it, but it's totally fine for them to voice their displeasure.

Who is the audience then? People who like bad graphics? Saying that the game is targeting people who "don't care" about bad graphics is not an argument in its defense. It's an excuse, and one I don't think is accurate at all. Visual design is one of the major appeals of Pokemon and I do think that even the youngest and most casual fan of the series would love a better looking representation of their favorite Pokemon.

Last edited:

AetherZX

How is outsourcing work to a bunch of nobodies and hiring 23 people argue against my point? Every developer does that including small development studios.

And the goalposts start moving, as expected.

The issue is as proven by your links that Pokemon is developed with low budgets and low standards.

Neither source mentions anything about budget, care to enlighten me? Do you have any concrete evidence on the budgets of these games?
Call of Duty is a good comparison, because of their popularity and how they spam low quality games. Yet they still have actual budgets put into them, so they're still a large step ahead of Pokemon.

You seem to have some serious difficulty separating your opinions from reality. It's okay if your niche little JRPG games or similar pale in sales against other popular series, the world won't end. I promise.

Again, the only way for Gamefreak to put actually effort and a bigger budget into their games is by criticizing and shaming them, because refusing to buy their products will not work. e.g. Microsoft with the disc less Xbox.

Then do so in the multiple surveys TPC tends to have; they're probably not reading this forum and the incessant threadshitting plaguing all of these associated threads. Also, that's an awfully specific "example" to give, you're starting to show your ass. 💀

--------

Average buyer? What does that even mean? Pokemon is an incredibly broad franchises that is being played by people of all ages. Trying to narrow a franchise with such broad appeal to "Average buyer" is strange: There's plenty of people who like the pokemon games, but are disappointed that they have such lacking graphics. They'll still buy it and enjoy it, but it's totally fine for them to voice their displeasure.

Who is the audience then? People who like bad graphics? Saying that the game is targeting people who "don't care" about bad graphics is not an argument in its defense. It's an excuse, and one I don't think is accurate at all. Visual design is one of the major appeals of Pokemon and I do think that even the youngest and most casual fan of the series would love a better looking representation of their favorite Pokemon.

The 24+ million who bought Sword and Shield, or the 14+ million that bought busted ass BDSP of all things, so on and so forth. Evidently the more vocal sort about the graphics seem incapable of putting a noticeable dent in how these entries perform, almost like that's for a reason...

But who knows, maybe they'll eventually make a dramatic response whenever their audience decides visual fidelity is king, any day now, it's only been over 8 generations across the span of 26 years after all.

Saber

and it's crazy because pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time

i just don't understand why their are mailing it in like this

I had a guess not a long ago that Pokemon Company is basically moving resources to focus on its Pokemon Go service, while leaving its main line games as "support" games(in conjuction with Home strategy), by literally making it into cheap low budget games.
Main line games will be now used with purpose of introducing new pokemons and new forms, but only that. While Pokemon Go will gradually update, since its a game as a service, to accomodate these new pokemons as they go.

Rykan

The 24+ million who bought Sword and Shield, or the 14+ million that bought busted ass BDSP of all things, so on and so forth. Evidently the more vocal sort about the graphics seem incapable of putting a noticeable dent in how these entries perform, almost like that's for a reason...

But who knows, maybe they'll eventually make a dramatic response whenever their audience decides visual fidelity is king, any day now, it's only been over 8 generations across the span of 26 years after all.
None of that shows or suggests that people don't care. All it shows is that the graphical fidelity is not enough of an issue to keep them from purchasing and enjoying the game. That is very different from "not caring". A lot of people who complain about the graphics of the game will still end up buying it and (probably) enjoy it. That doesn't mean that they don't care or that they're suddenly "No longer a target audience" of these games. "People who don't care about graphics" isn't a target audience.

Last edited:
I won't even watch the vid, abandoned Pokémon since gen 6. Tried the gen 7 but the more-than-usual childish tone and the mega evos ruined it for me. I wanna return to the franchise, but god I'm too old for this shit

zephiross

There's not a thing have seen from any trailer that would make me want to buy this game. Gamefreak really need to step up their game or give it to competent devs. It's not even close to PS3 level there are better looking games on the fucking Wii

Soodanim

Gold Member
A lot of negativity here. I loved what I saw. Gonna get violet
Agreed. I thought the new additions make it more interesting than Sword and Shield looked, and I get the impression that it will be a fun game to play. If nothing else, the type changing is a remix of things you know and take as unchanging. The animation for it will get a boring, but they always do.

I also liked the "Let's Go" feature to send a Pokémon out and skip an encounter. That's very clearly a streamlining feature for grinding, which is the type of change you don't always see from Pokémon games.

The bike Pokémon are terrible and I'm already bored of making a sandwich from looking at a trailer once, but all in all it doesn't look like a bad effort so far.

Robins

As some have already said, I just cannot get over the Pokemon motorbikes.

Each new game, I care a little bit less 😔

Nah GameFreak is below that. Text in 2022? Even indie do voice acting now and proper graphics now.
This might be one of my biggest gripes with pokemon games, they cant even get basic voice acting? They can’t hide behind that bullshit nintendo excuse cause all pokemon media has full fledged voice acting its not a series that prides itself on emotive story telling its a damn rpg.

Like you said, even budget indie games have good voice acting now. I’m not buying a pokemon game until they are forced to jump into the past decade of gaming which may take another 10 years.

I bought sword and shield and arceus and both times instantly regretted it. They aren’t getting me a third time

Last edited:

Jeeves

I'm so tired of these disposable gimmicks that go away after one game. To no one's surprise, they confirm that terastylization(?) only exists in this game's region. So what's the point of worrying about catching good pokemon for that when it clearly won't matter in the next game? What's the point of hunting down Gigantamax pokemon when dynamax isn't a thing in this one? And that was just a worse form of mega evolution. I have an Ampharos that I carefully bred for combat since mega evolution makes it viable. It's really cool! It now sits in a Pokemon Home box and will probably never be useful in battle again. I don't even have the option transfer it back to a 3DS game where it could mega evolve. Fuck this, man.

These games are supposed to be about treasuring your pokemon and these dumbass gameplay gimmicks have now just left me asking what the point of even having them is.

AetherZX

I'm so tired of these disposable gimmicks that go away after one game. To no one's surprise, they confirm that terastylization(?) only exists in this game's region. So what's the point of worrying about catching good pokemon for that when it clearly won't matter in the next game? What's the point of hunting down Gigantamax pokemon when dynamax isn't a thing in this one? And that was just a worse form of mega evolution. I have an Ampharos that I carefully bred for combat since mega evolution makes it viable. It's really cool! It now sits in a Pokemon Home box and will probably never be useful in battle again. I don't even have the option transfer it back to a 3DS game where it could mega evolve. Fuck this, man.

These games are supposed to be about treasuring your pokemon and these dumbass gameplay gimmicks have now just left me asking what the point of even having them is.

Removing Megas was a mistake tbh.

Although according to leaks there's currently an unrevealed concept in the game that's essentially Megas without being attached to a battle gimmick: Paradox Pokemon.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Those games are more of a formula they copy and paste yearly to meet deadline than actual creativity. You should’ve known that long ago. Next game it will be another useless gimmick, same sub PS3 graphics and low budget game.

Fbh

I genuinely don't understand how GameFreak can get away with stuff like this.

Same reason as always.
90% of their target audience doesn't care, and the 10% that does will complain but then buy the game anyway.

It's genius really, it was probably a bit of a gamble to go low effort when the franchise debuted on Switch but now they have conditioned their audience to expect mediocrity so no one bats an eye.
The second they actually release a good looking game expectations for the next entry will become higher. It's like how Naughty Dog can release a remake of The Last of Us that looks better than most games on the market but people still complain about the visuals because we've come to expect mindblowing next gen graphics from them

TLZ

Banned
How come we have Pokemon games every few months? Maybe more but it feels like I see a new Pokemon game a lot these days. Are they new games or remasters?

How come we have Pokemon games every few months? Maybe more but it feels like I see a new Pokemon game a lot these days. Are they new games or remasters?

Because each release sells around 15 million copies within the year.

The remasters last year and arceus both did 13-15 million each, already. This will be the third released pokemon game within the year and this will also do that much. Thats around 45-50 million full priced games sold within the span of 12 months.

According to the earnings report, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl had sold 14.65 million copies, which makes them the best-selling Pokemon remakes of all time.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/pokemon-brilliant-diamond-shining-pearl-best-selling-remakes/

Pokemon Legends: Arceus sold over 12 million copies as of March 2022, according to a report from Nintendo, and it currently ranks in third place in terms of best-selling games of the year.

https://gamerant.com/pokemon-legends-arceus-sales-series-potential-game-freak/

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Jeeves

Every couple of years there's a full-blown new "generation" entry with lots of new pokemon. What gets released in between those tentpole entries are spinoffs and remakes.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
Every couple of years there's a full-blown new "generation" entry with lots of new pokemon. What gets released in between those tentpole entries are spinoffs and remakes.
I've no idea what's new and what's not 😅

Imagine enjoying McDonalds as a kid and then, as an adult, you see they announce a new burger. Then imagine getting pissed that it isn't a Gormet Burger in beautiful packaging.

People are expecting something that never existed and should never be expected to be sold.

That is y'all with GameFreak and Pokemon.

Jeeves

I've no idea what's new and what's not 😅
So this one marks a new generation, following up the previous one which was Sword/Shield in 2019. The one before that was Sun/Moon on the 3DS. They do indeed release a lot of games in between, a lot of them being remakes of older main entries, or expansions of the current games, so yeah from the outside it would be very easy to not be able to tell which games are supposed to be the big ones.

And lots of spinoffs. Such is life when you're the highest grossing media franchise in the world. ...Which is why you see a lot of us fan frustrated that they don't appear to put much of that money back into the budgets for the games.

TLZ

Banned
And lots of spinoffs. Such is life when you're the highest grossing media franchise in the world. ...Which is why you see a lot of us fan frustrated that they don't appear to put much of that money back into the budgets for the games.
I definitely feel for you.

Scotty W

I am a very serious adult man. I only watch R Rated movies. I don’t listen to Metallica. I listen to Megadeth. I drive a truck.

I am disappointed that my favorite monster hunting toy series from my childhood refuses to grow up and treat me like the KING I AM!

Top Bottom