• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to Steam, Need Some Suggestions

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Hi all,
I just recently jumped into PC gaming and grabbed a laptop. I don’t do a whole lot of heavy AAA gaming. I just started my Steam account, user name is the same as my name here. I am looking for some suggestions for $25 or less. I enjoy RPGs and already bought the FF Pixel Remasters. I prefer action RPGs these days, but I’m not opposed to an action or adventure game. Not a huge fan of simulators or strategy games. Some puzzle games are okay, but I don’t jump at them usually. I have played a lot of games in my years on Earth on console, but would love to find some gems that I never got a chance to play before. Drop me some suggestions below!!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I know you said you're not a fan of strategy.......but I don't care. I'm recommending Total War anyway. If you haven't experienced Total War before then you haven't lived.

Series highlights are Warhammer 2, Medieval 2, Rome 2 (sensing a pattern here?) and Shogun 2.

But that's just my personal faves. To be honest, all Total War games are good. Just some better than others.

Wonko_C

If you haven't played them yet, grab the entire Ys franchise. Better yet, wait for the Black Friday deals, they will very likely be at a discount.

Ys Book I & II
Ys Origin
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Ys SEVEN
Ys Memories of Celceta
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
YS IX: Monstrum Nox

The best and one of the longest-running Action RPG series, IMO.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
If you haven't played them yet, grab the entire Ys franchise. Better yet, wait for the Black Friday deals, they will very likely be at a discount.

Ys Book I & II
Ys Origin
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Ys SEVEN
Ys Memories of Celceta
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
YS IX: Monstrum Nox

The best and one of the longest-running Action RPG series, IMO.
I have played 8 and Origin. 9 is currently in my backlog on ps5. I forgot the earlier ones are on Steam. I might have to grab the early ones and catch up. Thanks!

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Don't you know? You just buy games on steam. Don't play them.
I speak from exerience. 535 steam games and enter the gungeon is my most played
I actually fear this, and it’s probably why I waited so long to jump in. I’m bad enough on consoles with this 😂

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I know you said you're not a fan of strategy.......but I don't care. I'm recommending Total War anyway. If you haven't experienced Total War before then you haven't lived.

Series highlights are Warhammer 2, Medieval 2, Rome 2 (sensing a pattern here?) and Shogun 2.

But that's just my personal faves. To be honest, all Total War games are good. Just some better than others.
Maybe I’ll give them a shot…I haven’t dabbled enough to know if I hate strategy games. I’m always down to try something if it’s good!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I enjoy RPGs and already bought the FF Pixel Remasters. I prefer action RPGs these days, but I’m not opposed to an action or adventure game.
Do you like action RPGs that are like Diablo? Steam has a ton of them that aren't on consoles. Here are a few of my favorites:

Grim Dawn (although this is coming to consoles in a few weeks):

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem:

Last Epoch:

Fate games:

Honorable mentions to stuff like Titan Quest, Torchlight, and Path of Exile although those are all on consoles they're also generally pretty good.

Mister Wolf

Loh6_The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky.jpg

The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky_Second_Chapter.jpg

header.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I didn’t know they offered bundles on there. Is there a place to find these in the app, or a certain search term?

Not sure, that's just one I know about, but you could try searching "publisher pack" - they often promote these when the sales are on. Happy hunting!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wait for a sale. Go nuts and then never play half of them. Repeat for each sale. Over the years your non-played portfolio can be quite impressive.

Holammer

Crosscode was already suggested.

Screen_Shot_2017-04-05_at_2.58.07_PM.jpg

How about some Rogue-like/lite?

Terraria? Everyone likes Terraria and playing it on PC is the way to go.

All of the above suggestions should give a few 100h each, easily.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Hi all,
I just recently jumped into PC gaming and grabbed a laptop. I don’t do a whole lot of heavy AAA gaming. I just started my Steam account, user name is the same as my name here. I am looking for some suggestions for $25 or less. I enjoy RPGs and already bought the FF Pixel Remasters. I prefer action RPGs these days, but I’m not opposed to an action or adventure game. Not a huge fan of simulators or strategy games. Some puzzle games are okay, but I don’t jump at them usually. I have played a lot of games in my years on Earth on console, but would love to find some gems that I never got a chance to play before. Drop me some suggestions below!!
https://gg.deals/ is your friend. :)

CitizenZ

Banned
Do you like action RPGs that are like Diablo? Steam has a ton of them that aren't on consoles. Here are a few of my favorites:

Grim Dawn (although this is coming to consoles in a few weeks):

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem:

Last Epoch:

Fate games:

Honorable mentions to stuff like Titan Quest, Torchlight, and Path of Exile although those are all on consoles they're also generally pretty good.

Scrap Wolcen from this list. I tried playing it twice and its ...just so damn slow. Been thinking of a list of most disappointing new IPS of last couple of years, Wolcen is def. top 5. Grim Dawn, one of the best and is top 5 BEST of the last 5-10 yrs.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Scrap Wolcen from this list. I tried playing it twice and its ...just so damn slow. Been thinking of a list of most disappointing new IPS of last couple of years, Wolcen is def. top 5.
To each their own, I actually quite enjoyed Wolcen. However, I only played the campaign and didn't bother with any of the post-campaign / post-launch stuff though.

But I'm also someone who can be very patient with games.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
To each their own, I actually quite enjoyed Wolcen. However, I only played the campaign and didn't bother with any of the post-campaign / post-launch stuff though.

But I'm also someone who can be very patient with games.

Im probably the most patient person alive, but it also may have been my interest. After spending so many hrs in games like GD and PoE its tough to change.

Hi all,

The Autumn sale is coming up in two days, hold off buying anything until then unless you find a really good deal.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a big Steam or GOG gamer (just started less than year ago buying old games or casual games for $5.

All I can say is never buy a game at regular price. Steam and GOG have so many sales, the game you want is bound to be on deal once a month. The only problem is it seems the deals last short like 3-4 days, while on console it can be a couple weeks long.

Any games you are interested in and want to wait for sales, add it to your wishlist. When it goes on sale, you get a notification. I forget if this goes for one or both storefronts, but I know at least one of them sends you an email when a game is on sale on your wishlist.

Wildebeest

The next steam sale is the autumn sale, the other end of this week. Also, worth creating an Epic games account to harvest the free game giveaways. If they handle the holiday season like last year, they give away new games every day. I feel like they give away a lot of action RPGs, roguelites, and so on. Wouldn't be surprised if they give away a Torchlight game again.

jshackles

cash_longfellow cash_longfellow

If you're entirely new to PC gaming, I would recommend diversifying outside of Steam as well. For example, every week the Epic Games Store gives away a new game (or games!). Create an account there and redeem those, which I believe can even be done without giving Epic any payment details. Their choices have been pretty consistently good for the past few years, so it's a good way to build up a great library of PC games for free.

Are you an Amazon Prime member? Every month, Amazon gives away a half dozen or so PC games. Traditionally they've been pretty hit and miss, but lately there have been some really good stuff.

Like older games? GOG has a lot of stuff that Steam doesn't have, but they're made to run on newer / modern hardware. If you're completely new to PC gaming, there is likely a lot of stuff on GOG that you missed that would still be awesome. They also have several ongoing sales constantly, and when their "big" sales happen (a few times a year) they're usually also giving away free games. Their GOG Galaxy launcher is amazing as well, probably my favorite PC client.

Look for game bundles. Humble Bundle is the big name, but Fanatical has also had really good deals and bundles. Typically, these games redeem on Steam anyway. For example, this is one of Humble's current bundles:

$10 for Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, We Were Here Together, Between the Stars, Kyle is Famous, and Beholder 2. They have another that's $10 for a bunch of Leisure Suit Larry games. Keep in mind that these are time-sensitive, so if you see something you like better snatch it up. Humble Bundle also has "Humble Choice" which is a monthly pick of games, which used to be great but the quality has gone massively downhill in the past two years. It used to have AAA stuff like Call of Duty, Dark Souls, Tomb Raider, etc headlining every month, now we have things like House Flipper taking the top billing which is just... sad.

Finally, I'll toss out a recommendation for Augmented Steam

Install this in your browser, and it will give you a lot more info when browsing the steam store such as historical low prices, where you can currently buy the game for less, more stats, etc. Very handy, and I'm not just saying that since I'm the guy that started the project.

Fbh

Try GOG too.
It's another storefront that sells DRM free games, meaning no internet or launcher required. And depending on where you live it might actually be cheaper than steam as they have some good regional pricing (in some places).

Divinity Original sin 1 and 2 are great and play better (IMO) with Mouse and Keyboard:

The Yakuza games are also now on PC and Zero is a good place to start. It's basically a mix of brawler with some RPG mechanics, fun stories and great mix of seriousness with wacky silly stuff

Kingdom Come Deliverance is also fun. It's a first person similar to, say, The Elder Scrolls but in a historical setting and with no fantasy elements which makes it quite unique. It's a bit janky and at time you can notice it didn't have the biggest budget, but it's a lot of fun, feels unique and has surprisingly solid characters and story.

And not exactly what you are looking for but I recommend Outer Wilds to everyone. It's an exploration game that has you exploring a small solar system as you try to figure out how to keep the sun from going supernova and how to escape the 20 minutes time loop you are trapped in. It's one of the few games that has really made me feel like I was exploring, as there's no obvious hand holding and progress is mostly made through gaining information and figuring out how to interact with different elements of the world as opposed to traditional gaming mechanics like keys, new gear or upgrades.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You might want to bold that part, a lot of these suggestions are higher than that.

Can confirm that Grim Dawn is awesome if you like Diablo.
Actually I’m okay with it. I just meant this moment around that much as I have $30 in my Steam wallet just sitting. I’m okay with spending over that if it’s a good game.

Castef

Banned
Hi all,
Main suggestion: do not go into a buying spree. :)

Buggy Loop

JRPG only OP? Cause if you missed on PC all those years, there’s a mountain of CRPGs to catch up to which imo basically defined Pc gaming for me since decades.

Griffon

All 3 Dark Souls and Sekiro are the best on PC.
On the JRPG front, you have Square Enix and Namco who generally have good PC versions of their games.

And then, to find the more laser-focused indie subgenres that fits you, I suggest searching games using Steam store filters ( https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/store/ ).

Go to the store tab, and filter games by tags (you can also set tags you don't want by clicking twice on the selected tab), and order them by steam review results (click on the cog to use the steamdb algo, it gives the best results imo).
You can also filter by year if you need to look up more recent stuff. I'd say ignore anything under 80% positive reviews.

It's a great tool for discovering great stuff that the AAA-obsessed press and forums completely ignore.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hi all,
Get Cyberpunk and report back here.

KiteGr

Don't buy the games.

Put them on your wishlist and wait.
Unlike the console counterparts, steam is fantastic when it comes to notifing you of discounts. AND THEY DO GO ON DISCOUNTS! OFTEN!

Graciaus

I'd recommend you not buy anything you dont plan on playing right away. Download the augmented steam extension for your browser to see current deals for specific games and specifically the historical low.

Steam is generally the most expensive place if you wait places like humble, fanatical, greenmangaming, and more are cheaper. Also way cheaper to buy bundles which is where more people end up with hundreds if not thousands of games that they never play.

Top Bottom