• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Top Spin 2 720p images (from E3 build)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So before anyone starts whining, it's from the E3 build, running on ALPHA HARDWARE, hence NO ANTIALIASING. The developers also told us that the tennis courts would be more detailed in the final version, and the player model were not completely final too. Very early build in fact. Still, my most anticipated launch title (confirmed) with PGR3 :)

799_0001.jpg

799_0002.jpg

799_0003.jpg

799_0004.jpg

799_0005.jpg

yeah, this looked no different from the previous game.

although i really loved what i played. the new physics engine felt really really clean. the game just felt really nice. it was also while playing this game that i noticed how great the 360 controller feels.

looking forward to the end results.

ChrisReid

Johnny Nighttrain said:
although i really loved what i played. the new physics engine felt really really clean. the game just felt really nice. it was also while playing this game that i noticed how great the 360 controller feels.

Exactly, me too. Fell in love with the 360 controller, even over the type S, playing Top Spin here.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Johnny Nighttrain said:
yeah, this looked no different from the previous game.

looking forward to the end results.
The character models are already much more detailed than on Xbox, just look at how realistic Federer's legs' muscles are looking on the second shot. Or how the foot bends on the court surface.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
flsh said:
I see this is becoming a trend that the sky texture looks bad. Looks ok otherwise.
That's one of the things they told us they would definitely improve in the future.

FiRez

Blimblim said:
The character models are already much more detailed than on Xbox, just look at how realistic Federer's legs' muscles are looking on the second shot. Or how the foot bends on the court surface.

I was going to post the same observations :lol , the models of the first top-spin looked kinda cel shaded too, this is more complex

Bonk

I hope they add some net code this time. I´m a sucker for tennis games ( Final Match Tennis anyone) and bought my xbox more or less only for this and WE online. Yet Online play for both sucked.

What's the point of releasing these ugly shoots? Get the beta/final hardware first, make the game run on those kits and then release the shots! These look totally ugly, doesn’t look like a next gen game at all. :(

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I thought the character animations were kind of mediocre @ E3, and the framerate wasn't even 60 fps IIRC. But then, we have the common excuse of Alpha hardware, 1/3 of the full power yadda yadda yadda. I'm getting really tired of that excuse...even though I'm not saying it's a BAD one. I just wanna see games using the real hardware, or at least close to it. These pics are kind of pointless that way...

flsh

Banned
Blimblim said:
That's one of the things they told us they would definitely improve in the future.

Not that it really matters, god to know :) I hope it turens out good because I'm pretty interested in this.

I hope this game does well. These guys really deserve it. The first game was absolutly FAN-FRICKIN'-TASTIC, and it doesnt get nearly the respect, or the playtime, that it should from other people.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wow, three tennis games for me this year, with this, Virtua Tennis PSP, and Outlaw Tennis.

Mrbob

So is the original Top Spin developer behind this? If they are I'm interested. If they aren't I don't really care. Top Spin is freaking sweet.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
So is the original Top Spin developer behind this? If they are I'm interested. If they aren't I don't really care. Top Spin is freaking sweet.
Suppossedly it is (being Indie Built and PAM Development). They're also handling the PS2 port of Top Spin 1 iirc... not sure if they're doing the GBA/DS versions of TS2 though.

Speevy

Banned
Out of

-Crimson Skies
-Top Spin
-Amped
-Rallisport Challenge

Are any of these planned for exclusive X360 development, or all multiplatform?

jarrod

Banned
Speevy said:
Out of

-Crimson Skies
-Top Spin
-Amped
-Rallisport Challenge

Are any of these planned for exclusive X360 development, or all multiplatform?
So far...

Crimson Skies: none
Top Spin: PS2, 360, GBA, DS
Amped: 360
Rallisport: none

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jarrod said:
So far...

Crimson Skies: none
Top Spin: PS2, 360, GBA, DS
Amped: 360
Rallisport: none

rallisport 3 was mentioned somewhere as in development...

newsguy

Dammit, there's too many good games coming at launch. I can't afford all of this stuff. I pray that it won't be like the PSP where it had a huge launch and plummeted in the next few months.

jarrod

Banned
op_ivy said:
rallisport 3 was mentioned somewhere as in development...
Not officially I don't think. At least not from DICE anyway, maybe MGS has found someone else to do it?

Mrbob

Sweet. I haven't been paying attention lately. Didn't know 2Kgames is the publisher.

Probably means a PS3 version of Top Spion 2 at launch as well.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
newsguy said:
Dammit, there's too many good games coming at launch. I can't afford all of this stuff. I pray that it won't be like the PSP where it had a huge launch and plummeted in the next few months.

Pretends I'm Peter Moore, J. Allard, or Robbie Bach.

We have over 160 titles in development, great games will come out every week.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I will buy this but am very sad that Links has fallen off the radar. Links on the Xbox > Tiger on everything else.

I feel the same way! I play Top Spin and Links 2004 whenever I can with friends, but try to find a game on Live... just not happening.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Did they say anything about how the game itself has changed at E3? I cant find anything.

The Tennis itself in top spin was awesome, but i'm not really interested in the sequel unless they've cut down the amount of loading times and made the single player game a better experience (read: Less boring).

Prine

Banned
Federer better be whopping Hewitts ass in those shots, if they want it to be realistic that is ;)

Good to see PAM developing this, MS should have never dropped this franchise. ITs the best Tennis game i've played, the original will always be part of my collection. AAA in every sense

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jarrod said:
Not officially I don't think. At least not from DICE anyway, maybe MGS has found someone else to do it?

definitely not officially.

and i doubt DICE would be doing it. MS owns the franchise though, and it wouldnt shock me in any way for them to continue the franchise, though probably in a different direction then DICE was heading.

speaking of DICE, anyone have any idea what happened to the rsc team? would ea have split the team up or kept them relatively unchanged?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Prine said:
Federer better be whopping Hewitts ass in those shots, if they want it to be realistic that is ;)

Good to see PAM developing this, MS should have never dropped this franchise. ITs the best Tennis game i've played, the original will always be part of my collection. AAA in every sense

To my understanding, and this coincides with their 'fewer, but more focused' titles. Other developers were suspicious of their trying to 'cover the bases', so to speak. Amped competed with SSX, Links with Tiger. Burning bridges with EA does not make good business. They bought the High Heat franchise, but they have never put out a game regarding it.

eso76

Modelling and texturing are not that great, but technically speaking this is a lot more complex than the prequel.
What's with all 360 games having 3d spectators/ huge crowds ? i gather instance rendering somehow makes it easier not only to model, but also render huge quantities of similar models ?

JayFro

Banned
Well I guess this is one game that I'll definitely be buying at launch with my 360. I still play this game offline to this day and I was ranked #56 in singles on Xbox Live but haven't played it online in months.

Hopefully they have seperate rankings online for risk matches and sim matches, and the ability to play with anyone in the world as a doubles partner will increase the longevity of this game. Hopefully for the sequel they elimnated or changed a few things.

1) Zero power serves (hopefully they got rid of the effectivness of this). You should be able to slam these back at mach 5 for winners.

2) Being able to risk return every 143mph serve hit at you, clearly this is something that needs to be changed, all the people online that are ranked decently can risk return at will.

3) Increase the power of the topspin shot and decrease the power of the risk shot.

4) Give the slice a better angle on the return of serve and during the point, the slice really got robbed in the game.

5) Take away the ability for a player to take risk shots out of the air at the service line, nobody would be able to defend themselves from the service line in a real match.

6) Don't listen to all the whiners who complain about a lack of being able to volley against risk shots, the plain truth is in real tennis serve and volley is dead and baseline players should dominate the game.

JayFro

Banned
Soul4ger said:
I don't need to buy Top Spin 2 to know how the story ends:

Federer wins.

We have a winner. I'm just glad they beefed up the roster and I'm hoping the top serve speed will be 155mph with Roddick in the game. They did better for the mens players this time around with #1-3 in the world Federer, Hewitt, and Roddick. Hopefully computer players won't be useless online this time though, in the original using any of the CPU players online was almost certain death.

I can't wait for this game!

Raistlin

**** Be forwarned, I do not mean the following question as a dis ****

Where is the AA? I thought it was free (from a programming standpoint), or are the dev kits not using the final ATI card?

sangreal

Onix said:
**** Be forwarned, I do not mean the following question as a dis ****

Where is the AA? I thought it was free (from a programming standpoint), or are the dev kits not using the final ATI card?

Um, you didn't read the disclaimer at the top, did you?

(and no, the alpha kits don't use the final ATI card or final processor for that matter)

Pimpwerx

Let's not make excuses. This looks like shit. Early or not, this does not even mumble "next-gen". Matter of fact, thanks to the shitty videos from the behind-doors Sega E3 presentation, Sega hasn't released a single next-gen game screen that actually looks good. Their PS3 game (I think it's only published) looks absolutely horrible too. This further confirms Sega's suckiness. But hey, we already knew that, right? Am I right? I'm right, aren't I? Damn right. :D PEACE.

sangreal

Pimpwerx said:
Let's not make excuses. This looks like shit. Early or not, this does not even mumble "next-gen". Matter of fact, thanks to the shitty videos from the behind-doors Sega E3 presentation, Sega hasn't released a single next-gen game screen that actually looks good. Their PS3 game (I think it's only published) looks absolutely horrible too. This further confirms Sega's suckiness. But hey, we already knew that, right? Am I right? I'm right, aren't I? Damn right. :D PEACE.

What? This game has absolutely nothing to do with Sega

PhatSaqs

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
:lol selfpwnage 101

anthony

didn't you read the warning before Bilim's pics?

anyways, can't wait for this one. i played the hell outta the old version and even made federrer in create-a-player mode and fought to world number one status. :)

it was always gonna be a challenge to make a tennis game look more realstic than Top Spin cause of amazing visuals already on display. Top Spin 2 looks to turn up the heat with clearer muscle definition, more realistic hair and little incidental details in the stadiums.

Most impressive to me form the pics? the realism in the Federrer Expresses' wristband. :D

anthony said:
didn't you read the warning before Bilim's pics?

I did, but for fucking crying out loud the X360 is gonna be released in 4 months. When are gonna see some shots on better hardware?

Top Bottom