• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Comic Con 2012 lOTl Cosplayers, Video games, Comics, and Panels oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the one on Friday is at 1:45 PM

And yeah I get really paranoid when it comes to this sort of stuff, but he's literally one of my favorite artists ever and I would die not getting the chance to see him and have something signed. I can't enjoy the rest of the convention if I don't have that settled :<
Thanks! What are you getting signed? I'm taking a Sandman book. =D

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'll be there all four days.

Yeah, Press/Professional pass people seemed quite angry that they were stuck in the same lines with the VIP people last year.

Well, in previous years there were separate hours for press/pros. The floor was pretty sparse and it was pretty lax. Now that they include VIP passes, it's crowded and a little stressful.

Really wished they gave back pro hours again... even if it's just a single hour. :\

Shadow780

I know the one on Friday is at 1:45 PM

And yeah I get really paranoid when it comes to this sort of stuff, but he's literally one of my favorite artists ever and I would die not getting the chance to see him and have something signed. I can't enjoy the rest of the convention if I don't have that settled :<

I didn't know the time, thanks~

Do you know which room?

Speaking of location, where the fuck is queue hall, exactly? The map's pretty confusing every time I go there.

Jhoan

Yeah, Press/Professional pass people seemed quite angry that they were stuck in the same lines with the VIP people last year.
Yup, people would say "Well last year the lines were separated" to which I unfortunately had to put on my glasses and told them to deal with it. I also told them that it's not my rules in the first place. This one guy was getting me annoyed with all his stupid credentials despite having a Press badge that I sent him away to deal with an Area Manager. To calm the mob down a bit while the show floor was getting ready to open, I made conversation with several of the guys. Once the fork lifts containing the swag bags came in for us to set up and the show floor opened, people were swarming all over us like something straight out of Dead Rising.
I'll be there all four days.

Well, in previous years there were separate hours for press/pros. The floor was pretty sparse and it was pretty lax. Now that they include VIP passes, it's crowded and a little stressful.

Really wished they gave back pro hours again... even if it's just a single hour. :\
Honestly, it's a bit of a pain in the ass deal with people that way after last year's experience. From the organizers' perspective, it makes sense; by streamlining the lines, it makes things much easier to work with by having one line as opposed to separate lines where multiple volunteers and managers would get assigned to each line. Thankfully, nobody was super unruly. A couple of guys tried to pull a fast one by trying to sneak in, but the staff wasn't having any of it. A lot of people were whining because the show floor didn't open on the time that it was supposed to open at on top of the merged Press/Pro line.

Do you know which room?

Speaking of location, where the fuck is queue hall, exactly? The map's pretty confusing every time I go there.

Do you know which room?

I have absolutely no idea; I only know the areas by memory and only a few by name and pictures. I'll ask my coworkers on the group page and get back to you on that or I'll check the app and find out. It's too bad they didn't post a map on the website (or did they?) since they're really pushing the app this year plus the scheduler.

Kisaya

Thanks! What are you getting signed? I'm taking a Sandman book. =D

I have the Dawn Final Fantasy book. I'm too poor to have his better art books :l

Do you know which room?

For Friday:

Yoshitaka Amano and Yu Asakawa Autorgraph Ticket Giveaway
Fee: Free
Date: Friday, October 12
8:00 am - 8:01 am
Description:
Autographing tickets will be available in the Queue Hall on Friday, October 12 at 8AM. Tickets are free, but extremely limited, and will be given out on a first come first serve basis. Note fans line up early for autograph ticket giveaways.

Dark Horse Presents: Yoshitaka Amano
1:45 pm - 2:45 pm
Speakers: Michael Gombos , Yoshitaka Amano
Description:
Legendary Japanese artist, Yoshitaka Amano makes a rare stateside appearance at New York Comic Con! Join Dark Horse in celebrating the life and work of Amano, just before the highly anticipated release of Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy.

Jhoan

I have the Dawn Final Fantasy book. I'm too poor to have his better art books :l

For Friday:

Description:
Autographing tickets will be available in the Queue Hall on Friday, October 12 at 8AM. Tickets are free, but extremely limited, and will be given out on a first come first serve basis. Note fans line up early for autograph ticket giveaways.

Description:
Legendary Japanese artist, Yoshitaka Amano makes a rare stateside appearance at New York Comic Con! Join Dark Horse in celebrating the life and work of Amano, just before the highly anticipated release of Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy.

Muchisimas gracias.:) I'll add this to the OP and replace the inaccurate and improvised information that I have on the OP.

MG310

Hah, I was probably among those swarming for the bags near the VIP/Press/Pro entrance - mostly because good carrying bags are hard to find at the show outside of those 4 foot tall ones that I think came from We Love Fine.

If you plan on buying lots of stuff either bring an extra bag with you or maybe try stopping by the Starz booth as they had really good Spartacus/Camelot themed ones ( along with gigantic Sparatcus: Gods of the Arena posters)

Also to the person that asked I have no idea what the queue room is - the only places I can think of where they would give out tickets for that is either the autographing area or the booth outside the IGN Theater. At some point they should have a map on the site so maybe that will shed some light on the whole "queue room" thing.

DTJAAAAM

Ordered a four-day pass, but not sure if I'll make it for most of Thursday. Can't wait to see the costumes, as that's pretty much the main reason why I go to so many of these things.

Shadow780

For Friday:

Description:

Description:

I think that's his panel, where everybody can attend. Autograph session's a separate thing, no?

Tom_Cody

I'm going. I have a 3-day pass but realistically I will only be there for Saturday and Sunday unless there ends up being an especially interesting panel or 2 on Friday night.

I can't wait.

Also, bring your 3DS. You will be able to get an unlimited number of street pass tags.

I'm going. Four-day pass for Halo 4 - exploring Forerunner structures before release.

I have three different HaloGAF shirts, if I'm not wearing one of those I'll be in a Halo 4 shirt or one with my Halo/wolf emblem.

Jhoan

This thread's coming along pretty well I see. This is great; if I had tears of joy to shed, I would be shedding them now. I have a big cheesy grin on my face.

I've updated the OP with the latest roster update as well as put the 3DS tip under the Important Information list (thanks Tom_Cody). Halo GAF is representing on a harcore level.

Gary, if I can somehow manage to sneak out of my assigned area to work in that Panel I will; we'll see. It depends on the time. Maybe I should've requested to have worked on the Special Events and/or the IGN Theater instead. Or Spare Board (get assigned to different areas as needed). No worries; it shouldn't be too much of a hassle I hope.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Honestly, it's a bit of a pain in the ass deal with people that way after last year's experience. From the organizers' perspective, it makes sense; by streamlining the lines, it makes things much easier to work with by having one line as opposed to separate lines where multiple volunteers and managers would get assigned to each line. Thankfully, nobody was super unruly. A couple of guys tried to pull a fast one by trying to sneak in, but the staff wasn't having any of it. A lot of people were whining because the show floor didn't open on the time that it was supposed to open at on top of the merged Press/Pro line.

I didn't mind the ginormous line, actually. (Although it could've definitely been handled better.) My issue is just the complete elimination of pro hours. Last year, it was pretty packed by the time I got in. At least on Friday, the floor gradually built up to that capacity.

I guess I could go as an exhibitor but I don't mind paying the full pro rate. Plus, I don't want to open up the chance that I'll be stuck working the booth. :p

I will be there all four days along with my man and fellow GAFfer, Greymatter!

We'll be working my artist booth, table F6 but I'm hoping to walk around and hang out with some people I miss. This will be my third year at NYCC and it's one of my favorite. Good atmosphere and fun times.

We'll be working my artist booth, table F6 but I'm hoping to walk around and hang out with some people I miss. This will be my third year at NYCC and it's one of my favorite. GOod atmosphere and fun times.

Yeah, what she said. d;

This question is geared more for SDCC or just major conventions in general. Is it hard for a person in a wheelchair to move around the con? My GF wants to go the SDCC, but we're afraid it'll be hard to move/navigate around to panels and vendors.

From my experience, crowds are usually pretty accommodating to someone in a wheel chair and will generally be polite and move aside. I've also felt the Javis was a very spacious center, so you don't get near the amount of bottlenecking people that SDCC has. I hope she decides to come and has a fun time :)

Jhoan

We'll be working my artist booth, table F6 but I'm hoping to walk around and hang out with some people I miss. This will be my third year at NYCC and it's one of my favorite. Good atmosphere and fun times.

Yeah, what she said. d;
Aww how sweet, an artist couple; like Raging Spaniard and his wife. If I end up getting assigned to work at Artists' Alley, I'll be sure to come say hi to you guys and say the secret password, "Believe." Otherwise, I'll be on the look out for you guys when I'm on a break or after the Show Floor closes. I'll ask you guys for words of wisdom and shoot the breeze for a bit. Typing from my phone so I'll update the OP once I get on a computer.

Jhoan

Oh, I see. That's pretty cool. It looks like Destructoid but with a white color palette and focused on toys instead of video games...fascinating. I know you're going to be super tired from being all over the place. I'm going to assume you're the dude with the tiger picture on the website. Is that right?

I seem to recall your OkCupid trials by fire; you landed yourself a date last I heard from you and things were going well. I go to Destructoid for news (yeah Jim Sterling is annoying, but not as annoying as GAF paints him); the site's pretty good Jim Sterling aside. I was talking to a guy who's a community manager on the Destructoid forums last year and he told me that he totally understands the Jim Sterling hate, but there's no reason to hate the site to which I agreed.

Tom_Cody

My very rough schedule so far:

8FWbc.jpg

I haven't gone through Sunday at all yet and I'm sure I missed stuff the first time I went the Friday and Saturday listings.

I also plan to spend many hours in artist's alley and I also plan to do some comic shopping. I'm hoping to find some of the Abnett/Lanning cosmic marvel hardcovers while I'm there.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's a busy schedule. My schedule is just to line up and play Halo 4 all day everyday and then hit up the panel on Saturday.

Amir0x

Banned
i will be there, if only because I want to get Sean Astin to sign my blu-ray Lord of the Rings stuff. I already have his signature on my american copies of the LOTR extended edition DVDs. I am on thee mission to continue to geek up my LOTR collection.

The other reason of course is because, as a Doctor Who aficionado, I need Peter Davison to sign my Black Guardian trilogy DVD.

But seriously, once again I'll be tugging my brother-in-law and sisters around, 'cause they're the ones that always can't wait for this shindig. But this year I'm bringing another friend and his wife along, Dale and Melody, so this will be a real crowd for me this time. I enjoy living vicariously through peoples new experiences. It'll be a little like the first time I went to NYCC.

My #1 goal is to try to get that Yoshitaka Amano ticket that they're giving away for one minute at 8:01 in the queue. Oh please oh please :<

Thebaroness said:
This will be my third year at NYCC and it's one of my favorite. Good atmosphere and fun times.

You and me started going to NYCC the same year, seems so. 2010. Enjoy your time at the con and the booth

Although as to your bottlenecking comment, I still thought it was extremely bad but I've never been to San Diego Comic Con, which I hear is something like hell on Earth. In particular, around lunch hour, the crowds are like a crazy rising ocean tide. It took me a half an hour to get out of the center in 2011 for lunch.

P.S. What type of artwork do you and your boyfriend do? Got any links?

Jhoan

For people on a tight schedule, it's going to be hard to meet up. On my only day I'm not working (Friday), I'm gonna go shoot the breeze with some co-workers while they work, take lots of pictures (with cosplayers as well), try out some games (the only thing interests me besides talking to some artists), and shoot the breeze with you folks as well.

^^Good luck with the Yoshitaka Amano thing. I know it's going to be ridiculously packed. I'd figure you pop into the thread; I was thinking it was gonna be the second post. ;)

My schedule's going to be given to me tomorrow. I'll let you guys know which area I shall be working at as soon as I know.

Amir0x

Banned
This question is geared more for SDCC or just major conventions in general. Is it hard for a person in a wheelchair to move around the con? My GF wants to go the SDCC, but we're afraid it'll be hard to move/navigate around to panels and vendors.

Last year I took my mom to the Comic Con on the second day. She really wanted to experience it, and because it was only a few weeks after her kidneys had failed and she was really depressed, it really made her light up. We rolled her around in a wheel chair. The crowds were very frequently parting to allow us to pass, although sometimes we would have to speak up to get people to notice. The main thing is to be careful about moving deliberately, because it's very easy to skim the back of someone's feet, and that is painful.

And if it's the same as last year, AVOID AT ALL COSTS the anime con section in a wheel chair. That thing was fucking ridiculous to navigate last year.

My sister got her tickets today. I ordered mine before her so hopefully mine will be here soon.

Damn I ordered my tickets the day they went up and still don't have mine. Hope they show up soon, didn't get any kind of email about them shipping or anything like that.

Tawpgun

That's a busy schedule. My schedule is just to line up and play Halo 4 all day everyday and then hit up the panel on Saturday.

Pretty much me. Get there as early as possible, play Halo 4 all I can, attend panel. Play more Halo 4 if possible.

MG310

They didn't start shipping tickets until September 21st so everyone's should be arriving soon. I need to email them, I still didn't get my refund from when I upgraded from the normal 4 day to the VIP.

Only panels I'm planning on so far are the Remember Me and Geoffrey Zakarian "Food and Comics" one...enjoy my 4 days of wandering and buying outside of that.

MG310

Hopefully they won't be asses about it like Marvel was with the Stan Lee signing last year. They made it sound like it was first come first serve for the tickets but then when you got in line you had to draw a trading card out of a bucket, if you got one with Stan Lee on it you got a ticket for the signing, the others just had random characters on them - you also couldn't get back in line.

Tom_Cody

My #1 goal is to try to get that Yoshitaka Amano ticket that they're giving away for one minute at 8:01 in the queue. Oh please oh please :<
Camping buddies? ;3
I think a lot of NYCC GAF is in the same boat. I will be curious to hear when everyone is planning to get there to line up as well as what everyone is bringing to get signed.
Hopefully they won't be asses about it like Marvel was with the Stan Lee signing last year. They made it sound like it was first come first serve for the tickets but then when you got in line you had to draw a trading card out of a bucket, if you got one with Stan Lee on it you got a ticket for the signing, the others just had random characters on them - you also couldn't get back in line.
If they are doing that I'm not even going to bother.

MG310

I might have to get to the Sunday signing for The Following...though it's probably going to be rough seeing as its at the DC booth...but it'd be nice to get my Rome DVD signed by James Purefoy and bring my Bacon number up to 1.

You and me started going to NYCC the same year, seems so. 2010. Enjoy your time at the con and the booth

Although as to your bottlenecking comment, I still thought it was extremely bad but I've never been to San Diego Comic Con, which I hear is something like hell on Earth. In particular, around lunch hour, the crowds are like a crazy rising ocean tide. It took me a half an hour to get out of the center in 2011 for lunch.

P.S. What type of artwork do you and your boyfriend do? Got any links?

Yeah I really do enjoy NYCC. The crowd can get bad sometimes, but yeah SDCC is waaaaaaaay worse *_* It makes the Javis seem spacious.

We are a art couple, we met in art school 8 years ago :) I'm trying to become a pro comic artist and he does graphic design layouts and logos, about just about whatever else he feels like :p

My artwork:
http://www.ashleyriot.com
http://jocelynada.deviantart.com

My man's: http://www.thebottleprojector.com/

Jhoan

Yeah I really do enjoy NYCC. The crowd can get bad sometimes, but yeah SDCC is waaaaaaaay worse *_* It makes the Javis seem spacious.

We are a art couple, we met in art school 8 years ago :) I'm trying to become a pro comic artist and he does graphic design layouts and logos, about just about whatever else he feels like :p

My artwork:

Holy crap! You guys are beasts! Different trades I see but similar. Both of you have different styles. Since both are you are artists, I bet you guys motivate each other but have different studio practices.

All this time I've been lazy with my artwork aside from drawing people in public since my last art classes last semester. I'll definitely be on the look out for you guys.

Amir0x

Banned
Camping buddies? ;3

Judging by how limited the tickets are going to be, we'll probably be killing one another with knives instead of camping peacefully ;)

My only concern is if I can make it to the city on time. I can't leave earlier than 6:30am 'cause I am picking up my brother-in-law, sisters and two friends, and then they're going to want to stop for breakfast, so... I doubt I'll even be able to get a favorable spot on line :(

My artwork:

Ah, you guys both seem pretty talented. On your deviantart page, I appreciated the Hades and Persephone image... it reminded me of awesome videogame manual artwork from the 80s.

Shadow780

My only concern is if I can make it to the city on time. I can't leave earlier than 6:30am 'cause I am picking up my brother-in-law, sisters and two friends, and then they're going to want to stop for breakfast, so... I doubt I'll even be able to get a favorable spot on line :(

On the day of the giveaway? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you'll be out of luck if you line up 1 hour prior to the time.

Salaadin

I have a few questions. Sorry if they sound dumb. This is my first convention ever so I just want to know what to expect.

-Do they have any restrictions on bags that you can carry with you or anything like that? Im assuming theres lots of stuff to buy and Ill need someplace to carry it. Any suggestions here? I typically cram everything I need into my pockets. I doubt that going to fly here. OP also suggests food/water so Ill need a place to carry that.
-Do the people signing autographs typically have autographable merchandise for sale too? I dont really collect much so I dont have a lot that can be autographed but Id definitely pick up stuff at the show if its available.
-Can you come and go to the show as you please as long as you have your ticket?

Im still debating on if I want to get a camera or if my 4 year old Sony Cybershot will be good enough. I guess I have 2 weeks to make up my mind.

Got my tickets today. I got so happy when I saw that envelope in the mail. Im unbelievably excited for this and I dont know why.

Amir0x

Banned
seVJW.jpg

Just got my pass. See you guys there!

My pass has Rick pointing a gun at my face.

On the day of the giveaway? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you'll be out of luck if you line up 1 hour prior to the time.

Yeah I doubt I'll make it, it's just my #1 goal. A distant, seemingly impossible goal... but Yoshitaka Amano is, like, my artistic hero. I've loved his work since I was a boy, and it inspired so much of my shit.

I have a few questions. Sorry if they sound dumb. This is my first convention ever so I just want to know what to expect.

-Do they have any restrictions on bags that you can carry with you or anything like that? Im assuming theres lots of stuff to buy and Ill need someplace to carry it. Any suggestions here? I typically cram everything I need into my pockets. I doubt that going to fly here. OP also suggests food/water so Ill need a place to carry that.
-Do the people signing autographs typically have autographable merchandise for sale too? I dont really collect much so I dont have a lot that can be autographed but Id definitely pick up stuff at the show if its available.
-Can you come and go to the show as you please as long as you have your ticket?

Im still debating on if I want to get a camera or if my 4 year old Sony Cybershot will be good enough. I guess I have 2 weeks to make up my mind.

Got my tickets today. I got so happy when I saw that envelope in the mail. Im unbelievably excited for this and I dont know why.

1. They have special bags there you can haul around for a minimal price, and they're really large. But if you want you can bring a really big bag and just use that. I saw tons of people doing it.

2. Pretty much all the autograph people have a sales booth where you can pick up an item - typically a really high quality glossy photo of the individual - for $20~$40 and then you head on line and get them to sign it. I am pretty sure that if you purchase one of these, you can then get them to sign something like a DVD too if they're nice. I'm not sure.

This is what the website says:

NYCC will feature hundreds of guests that will sign autographs in the Autograph Area, in Artist Alley, in private rooms and at various booths on the Show Floor. Guests will sign your NYCC Program Guide and only officially licensed DVDs, comics, toys and other collectibles, but they will not sign bootleg merchandise. While some guests will sign autographs at no charge, this is ultimately up to the guests' individual discretion. Please bring only one item to be signed during each autograph session and understand that guests may or may not post for photographs with fans.

3. Yes, you can come and go as you please. Just be aware that around the meal times of the day, there is a mad feverish rush to exit/enter the building, and it becomes a sweaty, smelly mass of people pouring out the doors like there's a fire or something. And it takes forever to get out if you're deep in the building, so plan ahead! There is food places in the building, but I have to assume only rich assholes shop there since even if I was rich I wouldn't pay the ridiculously exorbitant prices they charge for shit there.

SupaSudi

Neo Member
I work everyday except Saturday and the only tickets available to comic con are Friday and Sunday I would love to go either day but I can't and I'M dying to go, can anyone help me find a Saturday ticket I would greatly appreciate it.

Tom_Cody

I work everyday except Saturday and the only tickets available to comic con are Friday and Sunday I would love to go either day but I can't and I'M dying to go, can anyone help me find a Saturday ticket I would greatly appreciate it.
In multiple years in the past I have been able to buy budges from people leaving the show. People should start leaving by 1 or so. It is a long walk from the subway to the convention center and I have never failed to see people selling badges in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom