• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

epmode

So I dont understand the entire acore resettinf when u die

Is the top scores just whoever hasnt died?

Your score resets to zero when you run out of lives and have to continue. The same system is very common in arcade games and it encourages players to work on one-credit-clears.

So yeah, I'd say that the best leaderboard scores are 1CCs.

MrS

Banned
So I dont understand the entire acore resettinf when u die

Is the top scores just whoever hasnt died?
Yep, which might seem hard at the moment but will eventually be super easy for you if you put the time in. Learn the levels, learn which enemies to take out first, develop strats for the bosses and you'll be golden. You may benefit by watching some of the top level replays too which will expose you to some strats you might not be aware of.

I see. Im used to their other games scoring system stacking, where multipliers reset on death.

End of world 2, and I have 37 million

If I lose everything I have to make it all up again? But what if I lose everything the last boss battle while someone else loses multiple times throughtout the game, but far away from the end enough that he gets a higher score?

Doesnt make sense

orborborb

I see. Im used to their other games scoring system stacking, where multipliers reset on death.

If I lose everything I have to make it all up again? But what if I lose everything the last boss battle while someone else loses multiple times throughtout the game, but far away from the end enough that he gets a higher score?

Doesnt make sense

if you're trying to hit a new high score, you shouldn't continue, continues are for practicing and people who just want to see later levels

if you're trying to hit a new high score, you shouldn't continue, continues are for practicing and people who just want to see later levels

I see. I have 61 mill and 2 lives now and I dont think Ill make it lol.

But thats because I dont know any secrets in world 3. Im surprised that Im acing world 2.. Im getting there!

FoxSpirit

The game has a mild framepacing issue on pc. It can be completely fixed using a 60 fps limit with RTSS. This way is silky smooth.

About the blurriness, I really doubt that the ps4 version is sharper. I think is a temporal AA doing his work, but can be alliviated with downsampling and lumasharpen filter (I've used SweetFX for that). Comparisson:

1080p
01o0uyf.jpg

1620p
028lu86.jpg

2160p
03v6ug7.jpg

2160p + Lumasharpen
04zpu1f.jpg

Gif 1080p vs 2160p + Lumasharpen

05cxu0l.gif
Did you just use the inbuilt higher resolution in fullscreen or another downsampling method?

partime

I could have sworn I saved all the people on world 1, but I actually saved less than half?

How do you find hidden rooms with everyone else? Are there any special markers I should be looking for within each level?

One thing driving me nuts on PC is I'm playing in Big Picture Mode on a couch. And the game starts up with a mouse cursor dead-center screen and just sits there...I have to get up, dig up my mouse and scoot the cursor off to the side of the screen.

Wozman23

I could have sworn I saved all the people on world 1, but I actually saved less than half?

How do you find hidden rooms with everyone else? Are there any special markers I should be looking for within each level?

You have to find the arcade cabinets, which have blue screens. When they take damage they make a sound and you'll see particle effects coming from them. Sometimes they are tucked behind other destructible stuff, and sometimes they're hidden in crevices along walls.

You can always watch other players' replays as well.

Just uploaded pictures of all the secret Beacons (3 in each World):

World 1
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3E7AsX

World 2
https://flic.kr/s/aHskYpuD3n

World 3
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3E9hBn

World 4
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZr7qPW

World 5
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3vmbZG

World 6
https://flic.kr/s/aHskYg5kS7

Let me know if there are any problems viewing them. I was having trouble with some of them.

Beat my previous score on Experienced with 772,254,000. Got farther on TLB but still died. Doing much better at handling Humans and being patience during chaotic times. Will try to crack 800 mil this weekend!

Doesnt make sense
Super Stardust HD and Resogun also had score-related continue resets to some capacity.

What you described isn't something to really worry about, because the score multiplier dropping as well as losing any running human chain upon death is a big deal for overall score. Your 'final' score prior to accepting a continue is also automatically logged onto the leaderboards.

test_account

XP-39C²

*list*

Let me know if there are any problems viewing them. I was having trouble with some of them.

Beat my previous score on Experienced with 772,254,000. Got farther on TLB but still died. Doing much better at handling Humans and being patience during chaotic times. Will try to crack 800 mil this weekend!
Thanks for these :) I used your pictures for the secret worlds earlier.

Turkoop

Banned

World 1
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3E7AsX

World 2
https://flic.kr/s/aHskYpuD3n

World 3
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3E9hBn

World 4
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZr7qPW

World 5
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3vmbZG

World 6
https://flic.kr/s/aHskYg5kS7

Thank you!

Thanks for these :) I used your pictures for the secret worlds earlier.

Thank you!

No problem :)

Playing some Arena right now. Going from a Redline challenge to normal speed is not fun, lol. I love the crazy fast speed! Should be a permanent mode.

Was able to improve my Forest Redline score to #6 and Fire Miner to #3.

The frustration to beat these scores is real. Would love to see how many times I've restarted a level. Either a disruptor (fitting name, lol) messed me up or I made a silly mistake.

Don't know when a season will end so I'm trying to push as high as I can. Who knows what kind of rewards (if any) they may give out at the end of a season.

Went on a very solid Experienced run tonight. Human chained til end of world 2 and wound up 1ccing it, or really getting eaten by the TLB.

For whatever reason, Storm Runner will not unlock for me. I've done it in Single World and Arcade. Both times finishing around 5:17 or so before the point tally...

I don't have a second controller currently :D

Architect on Veteran is somehow hard as fuck, can't get past it -.-

I've been using the Laser almost exclusively now and I think it does a good job against the Architect. What I find that helps is taking out the small machine to the side that shoots bullets. Just makes it "easier" to dodge the enemy lasers.

Went on a very solid Experienced run tonight. Human chained til end of world 2 and wound up 1ccing it, or really getting eaten by the TLB.

For whatever reason, Storm Runner will not unlock for me. I've done it in Single World and Arcade. Both times finishing around 5:17 or so before the point tally...

With Storm Runner, you need to go faster than what the actual time says. Yea, even faster than 5:17 lol. The devs have said it runs on a different timer? They are aware of it and it should already be fixed. There's a new patch coming out this week so maybe it will be in there.

I've been using the Laser almost exclusively now and I think it does a good job against the Architect. What I find that helps is taking out the small machine to the side that shoots bullets. Just makes it "easier" to dodge the enemy lasers.

I think Detonator or smartbomb is a little bit better suited, because it blocks the bullets. But it's still super hard...And I didn't have much problems doing runs on experienced without any continues :( Argh...enough nex machina for today.

I think Detonator or smartbomb is a little bit better suited, because it blocks the bullets. But it's still super hard...And I didn't have much problems doing runs on experienced without any continues :( Argh...enough nex machina for today.

Yea, you can go that route as well.

They did a good job balancing the weapons. Good to have more than one choice!

Good luck, man! I'll come back later tonight and read how you beat him ;)

Finally accomplished my goal on Experienced:

nbllntrpskhsr3.png

Full replay here for those who are curious. Wielding the Powershot and had a x419 human chain going as well; would've been a 'perfect' one if I hadn't stupidly died in an easy room practically right at the very end, which in turn put me on tilt. True final boss still needs some practice however, what with performance anxiety kicking in there too.

Shooting Game Weekly podcast also put out an episode for this game yesterday, with this timestamp including a good breakdown about how the human points are calculated over time.

Finally accomplished my goal on Experienced:

nbllntrpskhsr3.png

Full replay here for those who are curious. Wielding the Powershot and had a x419 human chain going as well; would've been a 'perfect' one if I hadn't stupidly died in an easy room practically right at the very end, which in turn put me on tilt. True final boss still needs some practice however, what with performance anxiety kicking in there too.

Shooting Game Weekly podcast also put out an episode for this game yesterday, with this timestamp including a good breakdown about how the human points are calculated over time.

Congratulations! That was amazing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finally had a change to play through this. Fucking awesome game. I don't know how much I'll replay it since I have a lot of other stuff to get to, but the hour or so I spent playing through arcade mode was well worth the $15 I spent.

Danji

I made a tips vid for Nex Machina that explains a lot of the mechanics (scoring and otherwise.) Though I've seen a video posted in here by JimmyQ I didn't see anyone detailing cooldowns and some of the other things this video goes over. Please feel free to ask questions or leave feedback, as I may make another version of this in the future. For now though, I gotta get back to practicing. Spent too long making this and not enough time memorizing levels.

Nex Machina Tips Vid

epmode

Exactly how long does it take one of those enemies to capture/kill a human? It feels like it varies quite a bit. Does the difficulty level affect it? Is there a way to see how much time is left before a human is killed?

I made a tips vid for Nex Machina that explains a lot of the mechanics (scoring and otherwise.) Though I've seen a video posted in here by JimmyQ I didn't see anyone detailing cooldowns and some of the other things this video goes over. Please feel free to ask questions or leave feedback, as I may make another version of this in the future. For now though, I gotta get back to practicing. Spent too long making this and not enough time memorizing levels.

Nex Machina Tips Vid

Awesome video! Subbed too, seems a great amount of good content you are doing.

Exactly how long does it take one of those enemies to capture/kill a human? It feels like it varies quite a bit. Does the difficulty level affect it? Is there a way to see how much time is left before a human is killed?
Time varies based on the enemy type. The bigger ones you start meeting in World 5, namely the ones who pick humans up and toss them back at you as a frikkin' fireball, kill them much faster than the default Harvesters. Difficulty might slightly affect it too, but don't take my word for it.

Coming close to beating TLB. I panic and start dashing everywhere without thinking. Almost there...

Did a personal best run on Experienced: 884,120,150. Messed up around World 3. Looking to hit 900 mil later tonight.

Someone hit me up on discord, about the images I've posted up. He wanted to make a guide and make it more accessible for Steam users. Shoutout to Steam user Celery for doing this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=963337915

Hope that helps!

I see lots of detailed discussion, but what is the general sentiment now that it's been out for a little bit?

I love Resogun, I'd say it's my second favorite PS4 game behind doom, but only sort of enjoyed the zombie and alien games.

120v

man my muscle memory is so deteriorated. i used to be so good at games like robotron and geometry wars but here i'm just getting my ass handed to me left and right

its like the part in boxing movies where the fighter learns he's a complete has been. time for a montage

hawk2025

I see lots of detailed discussion, but what is the general sentiment now that it's been out for a little bit?

I love Resogun, I'd say it's my second favorite PS4 game behind doom, but only sort of enjoyed the zombie and alien games.

It's up there with Resogun, arguably better.

Jump in!

Structure-wise, it has very little in common with Alien- and Dead Nation. It's much closer to Resogun with its intricate scoring system and other arcade-like sensibilities, except Nex Machina applies Resogun tropes differently enough for it to be far removed from feeling like an uninspired retread. They're both distinct score-hunters in how they flow (when put side-by-side) and for what it's worth, I'm having a tough time deciding which of the two I ultimately prefer.

It's up there with Resogun, arguably better.

Jump in!

Structure-wise, it has very little in common with Alien- and Dead Nation. It's much closer to Resogun with its intricate scoring system and other arcade-like sensibilities, except Nex Machina applies Resogun tropes differently enough for it to be far removed from feeling like an uninspired retread. They're both distinct score-hunters in how they flow (when put side-by-side) and for what it's worth, I'm having a tough time deciding which of the two I ultimately prefer.

Nice, thanks. I'm gonna buy it as soon as I hook my PS4 back up. Shoulda pre-ordered, but oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth 20 bones no question.

On Veteran, anybody know if you can dodge Supreme AI's lock-on laser attack (Phase 2) with a Smart Bomb? Or should I just be regularly dashing to avoid it?

How many more worlds/bosses are there left after the Architect? 1cc'ing the game on Experienced difficulty has been grueling. I don't know how you guys do it. :)

How many more worlds/bosses are there left after the Architect? 1cc'ing the game on Experienced difficulty has been grueling. I don't know how you guys do it. :)

You can do it man. It's intimidating, but the more you play the game, and memorize the locations of the 1-ups in particular, the more realistic the Experienced 1CC becomes. Now that I'm playing on Veteran, I'm realizing that the Experienced run is pretty straightforward once you've got a strategy for most of the worlds.

You can do it man. It's intimidating, but the more you play the game, and memorize the locations of the 1-ups in particular, the more realistic the Experienced 1CC becomes. Now that I'm playing on Veteran, I'm realizing that the Experienced run is pretty straightforward once you've got a strategy for most of the worlds.

Yeah, I think it's doable. It's hard memorizing where everything is. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. :)

Top Bottom