• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Famitsu Survey (Developers, Retailers, & Customers)

Firest0rm

source: http://www.gamefront.de/

Most Wanted

Revolution
1. Smash Bros.
2. Zelda
3. Mario

PlayStation3
1. Final Fantasy
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Gran Turismo 5

Developers

PlayStation3
79.4 % - I expect the console will do well.
0.0 % - I expect the console won't do well.
20.6 % - I still have no opinion.

Revolution
63.7 % - I expect the console will do well.
3.0 % - I expect the console won't do well.
33.3 % - I still have no opinion.

Xbox 360
66.7 % - I expect the console will do well.
9.1 % - I expect the console won't do well.
24.2 % - I still have no opinion.

Retail

PlayStation3
87.0 % - I expect the console will do well.
2.1 % - I expect the console won't do well.
10.9 % - I still have no opinion.

Revolution
78.3 % - I expect the console will do well.
4.3 % - I expect the console won't do well.
17.4 % - I still have no opinion.

Xbox 360
58.7 % - I expect the console will do well.
21.7 % - I expect the console won't do well.
19.6 % - I still have no opinion.

Customers

PlayStation3
48.9 % - I expect the console will do well.
33.8 % - I expect the console won't do well.
17.3 % - I still have no opinion.

Revolution
65.4 % - I expect the console will do well.
14.2 % - I expect the console won't do well.
20.4 % - I still have no opinion.

Xbox 360
39.8 % - I expect the console will do well.
31.2 % - I expect the console won't do well.
29.0 % - I still have no opinion.

The rest of the survey thanks to maskrider

Top5 Most wanted features:

(votes)

PS3:
1. High Graphics/Calculation processing power (94)
2. Use Blu-Ray Disc ROM (53)
3. Using next-gen CPU "Cell" (34)
4. PS/PS2 backward compatibility (16)
5. Max. 7 wireless controllers (14)

Rev:
1. Can download the games in the last 20 years (145)
2. New way of human input (unknow yet) (55)
3. Wireless connection service "Nintendo Wi-Fi collection" (48)
4. Small size (26)
5. Un-released portion of information (25)

X360:
1. Expanded Xbox Live service (100)
2. Better software lineup (56)
3. High Graphics/Calculation processing power (36)
4. Removable hard disk (23)
5. Chasis Design (11)

How do you think about the design ?

(Good/No opinion/Not good)

PS3:
Maker: 41.2/38.2/20.6
Shops: 34.1/47.7/18.2
Users: 31.9/27.3/40.8

Rev:
Maker: 48.6/45.7/5.7
Shops: 51.2/37.2/11.6
Users: 43.4/43.3/13.3

X360:
Maker: 43.3/40.0/16.7
Shops: 23.3/60.4/16.3
Users: 31.3/45.1/23.6

Price expectations (only the highest are posted from each group is posted)

Maker/Shops/Users

PS3: 35000-<40000YEN/35000-<40000YEN/35000-<40000YEN
Rev: 25000-<30000YEN/20000-<25000YEN/20000-<25000YEN
X360: 35000-<40000YEN/35000-<40000YEN/30000-<35000YEN

Most wanted software:

(votes)

PS3:

Shops
1. MGS4 (30)
2. DMC4 (23)
3. GUNDUM (10)

Users
1. FF series (90)
2. MGS4 (73)
3. New GT (31)

Rev:

Shops
1. New SSB (25)
2. New Zelda (22)
3. New Super Mario (14)

Users
1. New SSB (91)
2. New Zelda (89)
3. New Super Mario (64)

X360:

Shops
1. Blue Dragon (57)
2. DOA4 (32)
3. Lost Odyssey (5)

Users
1. Blue Dragon (57)
2. Lost Odyssey (85)
3. DOA4 (46)

Makers involvement

(Developing/Will develop/Considering/Will not develop/Unknown)

PS3: 12.8/38.5/17.9/2.6/28.2
Rev: 0/23.1/17.9/10.3/48.7
X360: 28.2/12.8/15.4/0/43.6

Who will rule the next gen ?

(PS3/Rev/X360)

Maker: 63.3/20.0/16.7
Shops: 88.7/6.8/4.5
Users: 52.8/29.9/17.3

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Wow the difference between Retail and Customer perception... is astonishing!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
interesting. developers and retailers have faith in PS3, but the consumers want Revolution more. i guess the nintendo catalog is that strong

xsarien

daedsiluap
CUSTOMERS

Revolution
65.4 % - I expect the console will do well.
14.2 % - I expect the console won't do well.
20.4 % - I have still no opinion.

PlayStation3
48.9 % - I expect the console will do well.
33.8 % - I expect the console won't do well.
17.3 % - I have still no opinion.

That's...interesting. Nostalgia factor kicking in, or just a poorly sampled survey?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
IIRC, Nintendo did well in pre-next gen Famitus surveys back in the day of GC etc. I remember one or two surveys that definitely painted a rosy picture for GC at that time. Not to say this isn't a good indicator of sentiment, but just to be aware.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Sho Nuff said:
If you don't like the results, there must have been an error in the tabulation.

Because I'm expressing shock, I obviously must have Sony underoos, right? Jesus eating a chalupa...

Revolution is going to do much better than people expect. Also, Retro Studios will have a launch title (definitely MP3, but can't confirm). Seems like Retro did have some nice footage to show at E3, but it would have given away the "big secret", which disappointed many of the guys working on the game.

Bah. Famitsu surveys...

They remind me of the guy that would always yap about all the girls he'll get as a senior, only to end up not even asking for their numbers.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
God's Hand said:
Revolution is going to do much better than people expect. Also, Retro Studios will have a launch title (definitely MP3, but can't confirm). Seems like Retro did have some nice footage to show at E3, but it would have given away the "big secret", which disappointed many of the guys working on the game.

:lol

you mean the "big secret" that it looked exactly like a gamecube game?

God's Hand said:

:lol

olimario

Banned
Nintendo should announce a Pokemon MMORPG in the style of the show for Revolution and pimp it to high hell.
The thought of literally playing the show would drive kids nuts.

It should also come with Nintendogs like functionality. Being able to pet, feed, and play with your pokemon.

Ruzbeh

Banned
olimario said:
Nintendo should announce a Pokemon MMORPG in the style of the show for Revolution and pimp it to high hell.
The thought of literally playing the show would drive kids nuts.

It should also come with Nintendogs like functionality. Being able to pet, feed, and play with your pokemon.
That sounds nice. I like the Pokemon creatures, but I hate those stupid people in the show. They're just lame. The Pokemon creatures are just too awesome though. Pikachu is teh awesome.

jarrod

Banned
God's Hand said:
3rd person. ;)

ziran

i think it's surprising [and great!] that nintendo's reputation isn't dead, and that revolution was at least high in the consciousness of the people surveyed.

xsarien

daedsiluap
jarrod said:
3rd person. ;)

For all the hate I have for most first-person games, Metroid is the one I don't want to see through any other perspective*.

* Unless it's a 2D side-scroller for the GBA

I'm not going to get my hopes up on Revolution, but its nice to see that Developers, Retailers, and Customers in Japan are giving it a good chance.

maskrider

The posted percentage values are only from the expectancy question of the survey, not really do well or what.

There are total of 3 questions, the expectancy, features and chasis design.

ourumov

90% of GAF thought the PSP would go "Tiburon" over the DS...And well, we have seen what happened.
I am with the ones without opinion. The videogame industry is so fucked and unprevisible that you never know what may happen...

Firest0rm

maskrider said:
The posted percentage values are only from the expectancy question of the survey, not really do well or what.

There are total of 3 questions, the expectancy, features and chasis design.

Do you have the rest?

at around $350 for a PSP and ONE game, did people here at GAF really expect Sony to spank Nintendo's 15 year dominance of the handheld market in a single blow?

wow... :lol

PSP is set to have a fantastic lifespan... but the lack of surprises at E3 really didn't help it's current cause to sell units. Once more killer apps roll around (a Final Fantasy, GTA, Devil May Cry, etc.), PSP will be just fine.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ourumov said:
90% of GAF thought the PSP would go "Tiburon" over the DS...And well, we have seen what happened.
I am with the ones without opinion. The videogame industry is so fucked and unprevisible that you never know what may happen...

That's cause 90% of GAF thought the damn thing might see a steady flow of software. ;)

Deku

Banned
Surveys like these tend to skew hardcore on the consumer end so it's not very accurate. Nintendo has very strong branding in Japan and have a strong otaku contingent who supports it.

The retailer and developer expectations are probably the best numbers in describing 'real' expectations about all 3 platforms because these guys are in the business to make money and they're not so much tied to cheerleading but rather objectively evaluating the prospects of each platform to make them money.

As for GAF being wrong, what's new. I would point out though that the number wasn't 90%, probably closer to the 50-60% range who didn't believe in the DS. What made it seem like a large number was a lot of loud posters and some respected ones living in Japan throught it was game over for the DS. They were all wrong of course.

ourumov

That's cause 90% of GAF thought the damn thing might see a steady flow of software. ;)
Yes, and I include myself between them. But the soft lineup has been enough good. It's just the BOMBS plus the fact that a lot of games are not import-friendly what has create tons of dissapointment.

Mojipittan -> Language Barrier
Rengoku -> sucked
Tales of... -> Language Barrier
Popolocrois -> Language Barrier
Densha de Go -> Either you love the series or...
Shottokou Battle -> sucked
Bleach -> sucked
Ape Escape -> fast port

And the upcoming games doesn't seem to change that trend:

Twelve -> Language Barrier
Sengokku Cannon -> Everybody says it sucks
Coded Arms -> Everybody says it sucks
Tenchi No Mon -> Language Barrier
Tenchu -> fast port some say ?

There are deffinitelly games...the problem is mainly related to language barriers IMHO...In the DS case this doesn't happen. You could play Yoshi, Kirby, Wario without any knowledge of Japanese.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
xsarien said:
That's...interesting. Nostalgia factor kicking in, or just a poorly sampled survey?
I'd imagine so.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gamecube or Dreamcast beat Playstation 2 in some of these Famitsu polls... It doesn't say if these are people who read Famitsu, people who hang around in game stores or they're just the random everyday people who make up the majority of game sales.

Playstation 3 just has too many blockbuster brands to come second place next gen. And at the end of the day it's the developers and publishers who decide the success of the console. First party support isn't enough, as Nintendo knows too well.

bloke

Wasn't there survey with developers and their current involvement with next-gen hw in this weeks Famitsu?

maskrider

Do you want <insert-the-machine> ?

(Yes/Don't know/No)

PS3:
Maker: 79.4/20.6/0
Shops: 87.0/10.9/2.1
Users: 48.9/17.3/33.8

Rev:
Maker: 63.7/33.3/3.0
Shops: 78.3/17.4/4.3
Users: 65.4/20.4/14.2

X360:
Maker: 66.7/24.2/9.1
Shops: 58.7/19.6/21.7
Users: 39.8/29.0/31.2

Top5 Most wanted features:

(votes)

PS3:
1. High Graphics/Calculation processing power (94)
2. Use Blu-Ray Disc ROM (53)
3. Using next-gen CPU "Cell" (34)
4. PS/PS2 backward compatibility (16)
5. Max. 7 wireless controllers (14)

Rev:
1. Can download the games in the last 20 years (145)
2. New way of human input (unknow yet) (55)
3. Wireless connection service "Nintendo Wi-Fi collection" (48)
4. Small size (26)
5. Un-released portion of information (25)

X360:
1. Expanded Xbox Live service (100)
2. Better software lineup (56)
3. High Graphics/Calculation processing power (36)
4. Removable hard disk (23)
5. Chasis Design (11)

How do you think about the design ?

(Good/No opinion/Not good)

PS3:
Maker: 41.2/38.2/20.6
Shops: 34.1/47.7/18.2
Users: 31.9/27.3/40.8

Rev:
Maker: 48.6/45.7/5.7
Shops: 51.2/37.2/11.6
Users: 43.4/43.3/13.3

X360:
Maker: 43.3/40.0/16.7
Shops: 23.3/60.4/16.3
Users: 31.3/45.1/23.6

Any1

It appears to me that the Japanese long for a return to the simplicity of games of the past. Like what Iwata has been pushing for a while now, that stories and gameplay have become too complex. The Revolution promises a return this and even ups the ante by actually offering "games of the past" for download.

Thankfully, the west doesn't appear to share the same sentiments. While i think the simpler games are good for a decent distraction every once in a while. RE4, LOZ:TP, Halo, and HL2 are the types of games that truly hold my interest and provide me with the type of enjoyment that just wasn't possible with "games of the past".

Firest0rm

Any1 said:
It appears to me that the Japanese long for a return to the simplicity of games of the past. Like what Iwata has been pushing for a while now, that stories and gameplay have become too complex. The Revolution promises a return this and even ups the ante by actually offering "games of the past" for download.

Thankfully, the west doesn't appear to share the same sentiments. While i think the simpler games are good for a decent distraction every once in a while. RE4, LOZ:TP, Halo, and HL2 are the types of games that truly hold my interest and provide me with the type of enjoyment that just wasn't possible with "games of the past".

Were still gonna get those games.

It's good that they like the design too. They're wrong about 360 vs Ps3 in that area though imo. The 360 looks great, PS3 is a lean mean fat reducing grilling/gaming machine with a boomerang.

I think the Revolution philosophy will prove popular in the west as well. And like another poster above me conveyed -- it's not like all you're going to get on Revolution is simple games and older downloads. They're pretty much pledged to have the same kind of content as the other machines in addition.

Deku

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
well I'm still kinda shocked thats the reason driving them, so in this case rev may end up selling well in Japan

The early buzz on GAF is pretty much around this feature as well.

maskrider

There are indeed 3 more questions, heh !

1 on the price and the other on the most expected game. One on the involvement on the maker.

The price one is 3 bar charts without numbers. I'll list only the highest.

Maker/Shops/Users

PS3: 35000-<40000YEN(same for all)
Rev: 25000-<30000YEN/20000-<25000YEN/20000-<25000YEN
X360: 35000-<40000YEN/35000-<40000YEN/30000-<35000YEN

Most wanted software:

(votes)

PS3:

Shops
1. MGS4 (30)
2. DMC4 (23)
3. GUNDUM (10)

Users
1. FF series (90)
2. MGS4 (73)
3. New GT (31)

Rev:

Shops
1. New SSB (25)
2. New Zelda (22)
3. New Super Mario (14)

Users
1. New SSB (91)
2. New Zelda (89)
3. New Super Mario (64)

X360:

Shops
1. Blue Dragon (57)
2. DOA4 (32)
3. Lost Odyssey (5)

Users
1. Blue Dragon (57)
2. Lost Odyssey (85)
3. DOA4 (46)

Makers involvement

StRaNgE

Banned
Hopefully 3rd parties will open thier eyes to this and jump on board.

if not then it could end up killing the flow and groth of the new system.

so much potential , hopefully it will reach that fully.

As far as metroid goes. a 3rd person /1st person mix could rock (not just in ball form either) Sorta like oddworlds latest was.

Firest0rm

I guess square wasn't one of the developers interviewed since Revolution has 0 for developers actually developing on it right now.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
maskrider said:
Makers involvement

Rev isn't even finished and yet 10 % say they aren't going to develop for it? Compared to the other consoles, it's pretty high...I wonder why? Is it the "kiddie" routine again? How many devs took part in this survey anyway?

G4life98

Nintendo's "igames" seem to be teh wildlcard for next-gen...if the system can move units on the back of the nes-n64 library, third parties most assuredly jump on abord with their offerings and in the process making the feature more appealing...I hope they will allow small/ indie dev releases over this system.

maskrider

And ... ha ha ha ! The last one.

Who will rule the next gen ?

(PS3/Rev/X360)

Maker: 63.3/20.0/16.7
Shops: 88.7/6.8/4.5
Users: 52.8/29.9/17.3

Note: Post in separated posts were not intentional, I don't know why I could miss some when I posted them, may be I drank too much tonight, ha ha !

Top Bottom