• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL pulls $16 million of funding from Boston University CTE study

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...versity-head-trauma-study-concerns-researcher

The whole article is pretty long but worth reading.

The NFL, which spent years criticizing researchers who warned about the dangers of football-related head trauma, has backed out of one of the most ambitious studies yet on the relationship between football and brain disease, sources familiar with the project told Outside the Lines.

The seven-year, $16 million initiative was to be funded out of a $30 million research grant the NFL gave the National Institutes of Health in 2012. The NFL has said repeatedly that it has no control over how that money is spent, but the league balked at this study, sources said, because the NIH awarded the project to a group led by a prominent Boston University researcher who has been critical of the league.

In a news release announcing the study Tuesday morning, Boston University said the NIH would pay for the project but made no mention of the NFL. The study seeks to capture what has been described as the holy grail of concussion research: the ability to diagnose chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in living patients.

Asked why the NFL did not want to fund the study, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy on Monday referred questions to the NIH, writing in an email: "The NIH makes its own funding decisions." On Tuesday, McCarthy tweeted that the story was "wrong."

The NFL's decision not to fund the Boston University CTE study delayed its announcement for months, and the issue ultimately reached the office of NIH director Dr. Francis S. Collins, according to sources. As late as this week, some officials held out hope the league would change its mind, but the NIH remained committed to funding the project regardless.

"This problem is larger than the NFL," said Dr. Walter Koroshetz, director of NIH's National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. "We're trying to get answers for people. There are a lot of concerned people out there, especially parents of kids."

When the NFL's "unrestricted" $30 million gift was announced in 2012, the NIH said the money came "with no strings attached"; however, an NIH official clarified the gift terms two years later, telling Outside the Lines that, in fact, the league retained veto power over projects that it funds.

Sources told Outside the Lines that the league exercised that power when it learned that Robert Stern, a professor of neurology and neurosurgery at Boston University, would be the project's lead researcher. The league, sources said, raised concerns about Stern's objectivity, despite an exhaustive vetting process that included a "scientific merit review" and a separate evaluation by a dozen high-level experts assembled by the NIH.

Stern, the director of clinical research for Boston University's Alzheimer's Disease and CTE centers, has a complicated history with the league. He once said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell inherited a "cover-up" from his predecessor, Paul Tagliabue. In October 2014, he filed a 61-page declaration opposing the NFL's settlement of a lawsuit in which thousands of former players accused the league of hiding the link between football and brain damage. Stern wrote that the settlement would deny compensation to many deserving players, including some of the most severely disabled.

Former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland said a phone consultation with Stern in March sealed his decision to retire after his rookie season because of concerns about getting brain disease. Stern warned Borland that he might already have brain damage but also cautioned that the science was still in its infancy.

"I am a scientist, first and foremost," said Stern, who referred all questions about the project's funding to the NIH. "And as a scientist I have always and will always conduct research with complete impartiality. If I say things about the NFL or others that may sound negative, that has nothing to do with the impartiality of my science."

Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist affiliated with Boston University and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, recently received a $6 million grant that came through the NFL's 2012 donation to the NIH. McKee, like Stern, at times has criticized the league and has warned that the number of players with CTE is likely to be high.

Why the NFL, which has faced long-standing questions about its involvement in the science of concussions, would fund a project headed by McKee -- and not one led by Stern -- was not clear.

From 2003 to 2009, the NFL published its own research denying that football players get brain damage; much of that research was later discredited. But since then, the NFL has poured tens of millions of dollars into concussion research, allowing the league to maintain a powerful role on an issue that directly threatens its future.

Some neuroscientists believe the league uses its money and influence to reward researchers who focus primarily on issues such as safety, equipment and proper tackling.

Up until now they have controlled every dollar that they have spent on this issue," said Eric Nauman, a professor of mechanical and biomedical engineering at Purdue University. Research -- published without the NFL's support -- by Nauman and his colleague, Thomas Talavage, a professor of electrical and computer engineering and of biomedical engineering at Purdue, has shown that repetitive head trauma from football leads to dramatic changes in brain chemistry.

"There was no way they were going to just give that money to the NIH and say, 'Do whatever you want,'" Nauman said.

The Boston University-led study involves 50 researchers at 17 institutions and hundreds of former NFL and college players who will participate as subjects. The study seeks to detect, define and measure the progression of CTE, which can only be diagnosed after death and has been found in 87 former NFL players over the last 10 years.

Ultimately, a test for living patients could go a long way to answering one of the most fundamental -- and yet elusive -- questions: What percentage of players are likely to get brain disease from playing football?

"We view this study as the primary study in the world, as far as we know, specifically addressing methods of diagnosing CTE during life," Stern said.

Sulik2

The NFL is trying as hard as it can to bury this story, I think they are going to fail and its going to end up being the downfall of the NFL. I know I barely watch the NFL since the first CTE documentary came out, I just feel bad knowing I am watching men destroy their brains for my entertainment.

Shiv47

There's no benefit to them funding CTE research in living players. I'd imagine a lot of guys would retire if they could diagnose it in current players.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not sure what this is trying to accomplish considering the NFL has invested tens o millions knto CTE research. Their $60m venture with GE among it.

Nafai1123

Banned
Of course the NFL doesn't want to fund research that would allow the diagnosis of CTE in living patients. They're scared shitless to find out what % of players suffer from it.

shira

Not sure what this is trying to accomplish considering the NFL has invested tens o millions knto CTE research. Their $60m venture with GE among it.
It says in the article: they only fund project like safety equipment and safe tackling research. If they produced a CTE in live person/active players the league would be fucked. 90% of active/inactive players could sue them effectively ending all pro football

3QcyVWf.gif

Chris R

I see the NFL has gone full "Fingers in Ears, we can't hear you lalalalalalalalalalalala" mode.

This isn't going away. Not owning up to it now will only come back to bite them in the ass even more.

NiMe Rli

Banned
It says in the article: they only fund project like safety equipment and safe tackling research. If they produced a CTE in live person/active players the league would be fucked. 90% of active/inactive players could sue them effectively ending all pro football

You don't think they have terms and conditions/waivers 10 miles long preventing them from being sued by people who get injured? CTE or otherwise?

cilonen

I've been largely disinterested this season after all the talk over how seriously they were taking concussion protocols last year and then just blatantly ignoring Edelman's hit and his obvious symptoms afterwards in the super bowl.

eznark

Banned
Headline is a lie. They pulled no funding.
The NFL's $30 million grant -- its largest single donation -- is administered by the Foundation for the NIH (FNIH), a nonprofit organization that solicits donations for NIH research. Koroshetz said he had asked FNIH since May whether the NFL would fund the project but never received a commitment. There has been no indication that the league is walking away from its original donation.

Not sure why someone would cut that part out when they c/p like the entire article.

You don't think they have terms and conditions/waivers 10 miles long preventing them from being sued by people who get injured? CTE or otherwise?

There are many, many ways that contracts can be challenged. If CTE can be easily proven, it would be a very competitive civil case.

Players who signed those waivers had no idea that CTE even existed.

Nafai1123

Banned

It's not just about lawsuits from the players. If CTE could be diagnosed in living patients it could end football as we know it. Parents sure as hell aren't going to let their kids play football if a Dr. can run some tests and tell them definitively that it's damaging their childs brain and will cause problems in the future.

This isn't going away, even if the NFL is trying to bury it. I don't know when this will materially impact the NFL, but I do know that every single one of my friends has said they wouldn't allow their kids to play football, and many of them have sworn off watching football because of CTE. This new restraint will eventually hit the NFL, though it might not happen for 10-15 years. But if someone is able to test in a living brain, the NFL is done.

I am beginning to lean towards not watching the NFL anymore, not playing Fantasy, etc. If I wouldn't let my kids play the game how can I in good conscience watch other people's kids play it?

spyder_ur

I've been largely disinterested this season after all the talk over how seriously they were taking concussion protocols last year and then just blatantly ignoring Edelman's hit and his obvious symptoms afterwards in the super bowl.

I've rewatched the Super Bowl a few times - Collinsworth: "Edelman bothered by his hamstring", as he's stumbling around the field. Makes me feel queasy.

The NFL hiding behind the NIH middleman is shameful. Expecting the NFL to fund studies that very likely will threaten the very existence of their sport isn't exactly foolproof though. Some of the recent stories about CTE linked to early childhood contact sports are pretty alarming.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The FNIH’s Statement on SHRP Funding

Through the Sports and Health Research Program (SHRP) —a partnership among the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the National Football League (NFL), and the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (FNIH)—multiple studies have been and will continue to be funded to examine traumatic brain injury in athletes. The NFL funding commitment to SHRP remains intact. NFL was willing to contribute to the Boston University CTE study headed by Dr. Stern. NIH made the decision to fund this study in its entirety and to issue a Request for Applications (RFA) early next year to support an additional study on CTE using funds from SHRP, which will double the support for research in this area.

ESPN drumming up interest in the Concussion movie.

Seemingly, despite his protestations, Dr Stern does have an axe to grind.

Farsi

Parents sure as hell aren't going to let their kids play football if a Dr. can run some tests and tell them definitively that it's damaging their childs brain and will cause problems in the future.

In Suburban middle/high class areas sure, but I just don't see this having any impact on the lower class areas, where unfortunately some kids only have the dream of football to escape from their neighborhood.

The audience for football will never die either. It's ingrained in the culture now and lets be honest, the mass scope of people really don't give a fuck.

sgjackson

i highly doubt espn cares enough about the success of a sony movie to have otl manufacture a story for the sole purpose of promoting it

the real question here is whether or not the source is good - the article says the nfl is pissed that robert stern is directing the study and wants to pull funding, not that it's happened yet. there can easily be background shit going on without anything official having happened yet. espn's issue is that they're doing the modern journalism clickbait thing of obfuscating the wording to make it sound like the nfl has already officially pulled funding based off of the fact the nfl isn't mentioned in a press release.

edit: also yeah like mentioned above they could have left the money and dictated that it didn't go to the study, which gives the nfl a semantic copout.

NiMe Rli

Banned
There's a limit to the legally binding power of such a contract.

There are many, many ways that contracts can be challenged. If CTE can be easily proven, it would be a very competitive civil case.

Players who signed those waivers had no idea that CTE even existed.

I'm sure in those contracts CTE is explicitly mentioned and gone into detail about. You know they have known about this problem and it's potential legal backlash for a long, long time. The NFL is a giant company with many lawyers, and those lawyers are going to make 100% sure that they're as immune to this as possible.

It's not just about lawsuits from the players. If CTE could be diagnosed in living patients it could end football as we know it. Parents sure as hell aren't going to let their kids play football if a Dr. can run some tests and tell them definitively that it's damaging their childs brain and will cause problems in the future.

Yeah, I'm more inclined to think this.

Although it won't end football, it will just make it easier for people to get into the NFL because there will be less competition, which gives more incentive to allow them to play. Unless Football is made illegal, which is never gonna happen, enough parents will let their kids play football to adamantly fill college and pro level leagues.

Lubricus

There's a limit to the legally binding power of such a contract.

Especially if the person who signed it may have damage to the brain after playing HS and college football.
I live in Georgia and an increasing number of coworkers(male and female) with young sons are signing them up for soccer instead of youth football, especially since it was reported Frank Gifford had evidence of CTE.

hermit7

There was a decent documentary done by pbs or something on the concussion debate and how since 1994 or so they have been denying the connection between cte and football.

It pretty much indicated that any time that it gets brought up the nfl flaunts all their own research about how there is no link. Finally Roger Goodell goes in front of Congress and they pretty much say that they are like the tobacco industry causing them to change their position a bit.

Finally it is not always about the number of concussions, any mtbi is dangerous. There was an example of a Penn player who committed suicide and he had cte even though he had no history of concussion.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

eznark

Banned
Semantics. The money wasn't pulled, the NFL choose not fund one particular study. NFL PR Guy didn't address whether the NFL has veto power or not.

They have "veto power" over branding the study (and all subsequent PR) with the NFL logo.

The only reason this became a story is because a press release came out about the study and didn't mention the NFL, so ESPN jumped to some bizarre conclusion about the NFL pulling funding.

ESPN.com has changed the headline three times since they first posted it around 9am. It's pathetic "journalism."

The expectation that the league would take long term player health seriously has always been a fiction drummed up to polish the stinking turd that is its public image.

Remember when they 'fixed' their problem with players committing domestic abuse, only to welcome Greg Hardy back with open arms? Buy your $16 "NO MORE" coffee mug today!

Yeah, don't give this league any credit.

Ovid

There was a decent documentary done by pbs or something on the concussion debate and how since 1994 or so they have been denying the connection between cte and football.

It pretty much indicated that any time that it gets brought up the nfl flaunts all their own research about how there is no link. Finally Roger Goodell goes in front of Congress and they pretty much say that they are like the tobacco industry causing them to change their position a bit.

Finally it is not always about the number of concussions, any mtbi is dangerous. There was an example of a Penn player who committed suicide and he had cte even though he had no history of concussion.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/
This came on my local PBS station tonight. They updated it by adding Chris Borland's resignation from the 49ers earlier this year and Will Smith's role in the upcoming film, Concussion.

They also mentioned that 96% of NFL brains tested (87 brains) have returned positive for CTE.

Screw the NFL and Roger Goodell.

shira

No, not if the NFL are withholding evidence and fudging the research. The Feds took down Lance Armstrong and FIFA after dismantling baseball and USATF. If they want another high-profile target and there is sufficient evidence this will cripple all levels of contact football down to peewee, this kind of CTE testing is applicable to hockey/rugby/ARF.

old

There's probably no safe way to sustain repeated hits to the head like in football. Something fundamental about the sport will need to change.

Football derives all of its profits from the pain and suffering of others.
End football.

Football isn't going to end.

However, at minimum what needs to happen is a full disclosure of potential injuries at all levels of the sport. Really any sport where violent hits occur. Hockey is probably the next target. At that point, it becomes a liability thing that the parents and adults participating will have to weigh for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom