• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL GAF: Gretzky's 92G, 212pts VS Lemieux's 69G, 160pts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this one is worth debating, maybe not.

Most would consider Gretzky to be the greatest player to ever play the game. And maybe he is. His tenure on the ice was something no one saw or likely ever see.

So let's talk about what is arguably considered the greatest individual season ever: Gretzky's 1981-1982 season: 92 goals, 120 assists, 212 points.

Vs. What could've been the greatest ever: Lemieux's 69 goals and 91 assists for 160 points in 60 games of a cancer ridden season. Think about that! Cancer! Blows my mind still. Take that over 80 games and Lemieux's 2.667 points per game averages to:
92 goals and 213 points.

I'm going to argue that what Lemieux did was a bigger accomplishment. He finally had players who could play with him like Gretzky enjoyed in the early 80s.

To me the biggest change was defence and goaltending. Goaltending was non-existent in the early 80s. Goalies winning Vezina with 3.00GAA. Goalie equipment was getting bigger (thankfully not how it was 10 years ago) and goalies were simply much much better.

376894e37a5e91f4cdf5d2941c3e5871.jpg

In the early 90s, the butterfly style made popular by Patrick Roy was everywhere. Goalies were suddenly posting under 2.50GAA.

Gretzky also had goons like Semenko protecting him. Lemieux was told to fight back because he was 6'4. And his fight against the clutch and grab is well documented.

So my argument is that Lemieux had a much harder time scoring his 69 goals than Gretzky did. Yes he benefitted from expansion teams like SJ, OTT, Tampa, etc.. But there were far better players in the league in the early 90s than there were in the early 80s. The old crop of great players and goalies were retiring and it gave Gretzky no one really to get in the way. The Oilers speed and score-first mentality won out.

Well I made my case. What do you guys think. I know there's a lot of great hockey minds. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Please don't take this as Gretzky can't shine Mario's shoes. I don't forget that despite all the scoring in the 80s, NO ONE other than Gretzky and Lemieux scored more than 155 points. These two were on another level.

Ie. If these two did not exist, Steve Yzerman would hold the NHL record for most points in a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom