• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 3: Yoko Taro Reportedly Teases sequel at Concer"R3PENT"

Draugoth

Gold Member
yoko-taro-1.jpg
'Game director Yoko Taro may have just teased a new Nier game, as fans say that the ongoing Nier music concert is heavily hinting at a sequel announcement. One attendee even says that Taro himself took to the stage at the London show, telling fans to cheer if they want Nier 3.

"Yoko Taro took the stage at the end, told the audience that the Square Enix president was in the crowd and that if we wanted an Automata sequel to give the loudest applause of the night,"

"The room immediately erupted into claps, cheers and yells."

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Finishing Automata really turned me into a nihilist for a while. Such experience that only Taro could make me.
NieR means Curse.

Put into perspective with the 2 games you have Curse of the Replicants/Gestalt and Curse of the Automatons and if you've played both you understand how much sense it makes.

And prior to that with Drakengard/Drag-On Dragoon it centers around things with a Cursed nature as well and it primarily stems(heh) from Drakengard 3.

I highly recommend reading up on DOD1 and DOD3 lore and piecing it all together. It's fantastic.

The likes of Drakengard and NieR I feel are on par with the bleakness of BERSERK.

Perrott

Gold Member
Didn't he say that his big new game that he's been working on wouldn't have anything to do with Nier?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Didn't he say that his big new game that he's been working on wouldn't have anything to do with Nier?
Doesn't mean much if every Yoko Taro game has loose relation to all his games. A new Yoko Taro IP would be sexy though. Even if I really would like a DOD3 port and a DOD4.

Reactions: Isa
It's going to happen, just a matter of when.

I went to NieR: The End of Data (2024 Orchestra); Yoko Taro was there and said he would have a "special surprise announcement" at the end of the performance.
The special announcement was...telling the audience that they could take photos for a few minutes lol.

night13x

I'm surprised square enix didnt do their usual thing of "oh nier automata sold 8 million but for us to consider a new game we need another 8 million - please support us" lol.

Joking aside - it's a no brainer that there is going to be a new nier game. Yoko Taro is a legend and I am glad square is willing to support him.

Humdinger

I played Nier Replicant. I liked it. It was immersive. It was overly drawn out, though.

I haven't played Nier Automata yet. I want to.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm really not sure how you follow Automata.

Mechanically and technically sure, there's lots of space for improvement, but its a remarkably complete story and Its a hard one to top for sheer conceptual ambition.
Most of all I'm not sure if Yoko can pull off the same surprises a third time around, because the truth is, he lifted a lot of stuff from the 2010 Nier.

Given his big thing is surprising the player, I'd suspect he might follow up indirectly somehow, like Nier span off from the first Drakengard.

NieR means Curse.

Put into perspective with the 2 games you have Curse of the Replicants/Gestalt and Curse of the Automatons and if you've played both you understand how much sense it makes.

And prior to that with Drakengard/Drag-On Dragoon it centers around things with a Cursed nature as well and it primarily stems(heh) from Drakengard 3.

I highly recommend reading up on DOD1 and DOD3 lore and piecing it all together. It's fantastic.

The likes of Drakengard and NieR I feel are on par with the bleakness of BERSERK.
The sockpuppet talk by Taro made it clear "why".

The curse, fundamentally, comes from the fact that as a nature of combat oriented video-games, the protagonist will stack a massive literal bodycount. Yoko Taro just couldn't write a story about such a thing, without also making the player feel guilty about it.

He will do his job to "justify" why you have to kill millions of sentient beings, but he isn't going to make the justification clear-cut righteous.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The sockpuppet talk by Taro made it clear "why".
Interview pales in comparison to the actual lore when it comes to the Black Flower Entity or the "Flower" and to the extent Red Eye Virus(increases hostility, insanity, murderous intent and spreads like a disease) as well as the Watchers/Nameless/Angels.

Very much reflected across both series.

FnzydHxX0AIfbBS.jpg

Interview just gives some perspective of might makes right and my cause is just ergo Vae Victus. Woe to the Conquered.

I would:

- Remake the Drakengard trilogy into two games (1+2 , 3) so there is a strongest lore connection with Nier

- Ni3R on a different timeline (either a follow-up of Kaine's ending or long past the events of Automata)

I get Automata's trio are popular, but that story has already been told with the perfect conclusion.

Noooo, F that. Bigger budgets ruin solid AA games. Same budget, same creative vision!

This is becoming increasingly true. Big budgets used to mean big experiences. Now it seems to mean big disappointment as stakeholders demand more monetisation to claw back expenditure.

Developers who are dialing it in seem to be the same ones who dial it back.

It's happening you guys! :messenger_face_screaming:

Hope he's not trolling though since reincarnation is also the name of that nier gacha game that will soon be shutting down. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom