• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Taro & Yosuke Saito Working on Project Separate from NieR; Announcement Planned 2024

9qqdvPB.png

At the G-STAR 2023 event in Korea, during the “A meeting to talk incessantly about the production of NieR Automata,” NieR series creator Yoko Taro and NieR series producer Yosuke Saito teased and elucidated upcoming developments.

In particular, Saito told NieR fans that as long as Taro lives, the development of the franchise will continue. However, no specific upcoming titles were stated alongside this reassurance.

Additionally, Saito and Taro are working on a project separate from NieR that, while not yet specified, is planned to be discussed sometime next year.
You can view a translation of these developments below via our team’s Ryuji:

…” And finally, Yosuke Saito assured the audience that he would continue to develop the NieR series for as long as Yoko Taro was alive. However, there seems to be a situation that prevents him from releasing them immediately. He concluded his speech by saying that there is a separate project that he and Yoko Taro are working on together and that they would like to talk about it sometime next year.”
Thanks to 4Gamer for sharing this news.

We’ll keep you all updated on the progress of the NieR series and whatever this new project ends up being.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Drakengard game or Nintendo collab for Astral Chain 2.

Although I kinda wish Yoko Taro would be the one to revive Parasite Eve from the dead since you got a lot of similar Dark Fantasy World is full of suck themes spread throughout the series.

Synless

I loved the game without 2B… but I have enjoyed almost all of his games previous to her. I think his batshit crazy themes and OST’s carry the games more than the character designs. That being said, starring at her the whole game didn’t hurt any.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me Nier Automata become popular combination being good game and slick character designs.....If "sexy" design all it took to make game popular then why game like OneChanbara didn't become popular?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
To me Nier Automata become popular combination being good game and slick character designs.....If "sexy" design all it took to make game popular then why game like OneChanbara didn't become popular?
Automata found success due to music, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games gameplay, Dark Fantasy genre and being a cult sequel to NieR alongside being an actual RPG with RPG elements. 2B/A2 wearing thigh highs or having a nice butt was not the sole defining factor for it's success. It helped by having a well defined and well written female lead but several factors were at play.

I think 2B to a degree did get feet in the door. Cute girl protagonist has that effect.

And I think Automata came around a time where Square Enix did not have many compelling RPGs with semi-decent stories and were starved for something to play.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Automata found success due to music, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games gameplay, Dark Fantasy genre and being a cult sequel to NieR alongside being an actual RPG with RPG elements. 2B/A2 wearing thigh highs or having a nice butt was not the sole defining factor for it's success. It helped by having a well defined and well written female lead but several factors were at play.

I think 2B to a degree did get feet in the door. Cute girl protagonist has that effect.

And I think Automata came around a time where Square Enix did not have many compelling RPGs with semi-decent stories and were starved for something to play.
Wait, where the Samus avatar????

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Cute waifu tho

100627.jpg

What makes you think they won't give us another waifu like her? Yoko will do it. I believe. I HAVE to believe..
The fact that we both essentially said the same thing but you get the flame emoji reaction means he probably has me on ignore.

donald-glover-good.gif

I'm still going to respond to Slime's bad takes regardless.

Huge fan of NieR but I don't want them to overdo it. Taro working on a new project would be a good thing, to me. Let him have some creative freedom and do what he wants to do. I'm on board for whatever.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I hope if given creative freedom it's ultimately a new IP or something else. I feel like it'll be hard to top Automata when it comes to the Ending E NieR timeline moving forward.

Some games I feel like certain TV shows only need 2 seasons to tell it's story instead of drawing it out.

What always stood out to me with Auotmata is how I thought the game was over in Ending A and then they drop the plot twist on you out of nowhere. It was so unexpected yet so expertly crafted it was damn amazing.

Like reading a good book and it keeps getting better and better and you just want to see what happens next. And then heartbroken at it's sad but inevitable conclusion.

Major BERSERK vibes all the way through.

Go_Ly_Dow

7.5 million copies
PlatinumGames and Square Enix announced that the sales of NieR: Automata, a 2017 action role-playing game and a sequel to the 2010's NieR, which is itself a spin-off of the Drakengard series, have just exceeded 7.5 million copies, marking one more million of units sold since the previous update back in June 2022.

There'll be a new NieR and I'll be there day 1.

-Zelda-

Banned
Its why I resented the game and didn't play it for so long.

A character who suffers but heteros just see fat tits. 😍😍😍😍😍
HA! Tell me you never played Nier Automata without telling me you have never played Nier Automata. her tits are not the phat thing on her body. Also, imagine thinking that bi's and L's don't also like that shit. Good job outing yourself as a know nothing scrub.

Come for 2Booty, stay for the plot and OST.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They wouldn’t give him a mainline title. It would be titled something like Crystal Bearers or Stranger of Paradise.
SoP is by far the best FF title they put out recently and that was all Tecmo Koei. Other then SE success coasting off of FF7R.

Personally I don't think Taro wants too much to do with FF since in some cases it limits the kind of story he can tell.

The way things are looking other then Rebirth the only other Final Fantasy game I'm looking forward to is Granblue Fantasy Relink which has big FF influences. Which isn't even a FF game but has the backing of Nobuo Uematsu and a couple old FF veteran devs. And looks promising.

Something I couldn't ever say about FF15 or FF16.

But hey at least there is still Dragon Quest.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Personally I don't think Taro wants too much to do with FF since in some cases it limits the kind of story he can tell.
I definitely agree with that, he wants to tell his story how it wants and the way he wants it and if he really can’t do that if its not his own IP.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
It's gonna tank

People only liked Automata because of 2B.

Without 2B people wouldn't even have played it.

You know I'm right.

I'm there for whatever they make next. Yoko Taro's games are just far too interesting to ignore. Whether some games tanks or not is not my problem.

Doom85

But people just gonna b**ch about "it’s not my Final Fantasy" BS.

I mean, Yoko Taro proved with Nier Automata he knows how to make a character action game with RPG elements that matter, unlike Final Fantasy XVI, so it would definitely be a proper FF title.

I just want FF games where leveling, weapon upgrades, elemental differences, etc. actually matter. That’s not a bullshit take, that should be expected in a series where every FF (until XVI) respected that. Even XV, for as much of a mess it was, respected that. People hide behind the “it’s an experimental series!” shtick, but the experiments were always done without sacrificing the impact of the RPG elements.

It’s cool to like XVI, but it should also be understandable why a good deal of people were let down by it.

Top Bottom