• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata. GOAT, m̵y̵ her ASS!

Aion002

Wait..... You took an hour to get to the first boss? Like really... How is that possible?

Isn't like 10 minutes or something to get to the first save? Also, the first boss is extremely easy...

Last edited:

Jeeves

This isn't at anyone in particular but it can be kind of annoying when a cult classic makes it out to a wider audience and you get people clinging to its blemishes going "I thought this was supposed to be the GOAT?!?!", or sometimes even the opposite "wait there's more to this game than just 2Booty??"

It's a lower budget flawed masterpiece, and it feels like the great word of mouth eventually reached people who didn't know what they were in for or might not appreciate the game for what it actually is. Makes me feel kind of ambivalent about the game's success.
I honestly don't understand why people like Nier Automata so much.
Played it for a couple of hours and didn't think much of it. Maybe some day I'll reinstall it from my Steam account and check if it gets any better...
You need to finish it to really see why. Though I think it's a fun journey getting there.

An hour in and I still can’t save?
It's 2021. There's absolutely no excuse for single-player games to not let you save whenever you want. If not a full-blown save system then at least one quick-save slot that can be used and is automatically replaced the next time you quick-save.

As for Nier, I enjoyed the 360/PS3 game but can't get into Nier Automata no matter how hard I try.

This. Games like this are an insult to any person not a childless, unmarried teenager/college student. They should invent some new sticker for game boxes that warn you beforehand of shit not respecting your time.

It's also why I will often play the console version of a game instead of the (usually) superior PC version. At least with consoles I have the option of putting the console into sleep mode and picking up the game at the exact same spot later. An option that I don't have on PC. Although it should be fairly easy to implement some sort of "save state" feature Steam, even if the save state files themselves would be rather large.

BbMajor7th

Yeah, the intro save lock-out is an odd choice and some of the pop-in is really rough in places, but the game is otherwise fantastic, so I'm willing to let it slide.

Hugare

CB8436FC5889A51F33B15B914F86E4B411BFAA4C
"B-but you see, the game has a deep story about what it means to be human and etc."

If you have to play the game alone in order to not cringe into oblivion, then no, the game isn't that deep dude

Last edited:
Wait..... You took an hour to get to the first boss? Like really... How is that possible?

Isn't like 10 minutes or something to get to the first save? Also, the first boss is extremely easy...
No way the opening can be done in 10 minutes. It must take at least 30 minutes.
It's 2021. There's absolutely no excuse for single-player games to not let you save whenever you want. If not a full-blown save system then at least one quick-save slot that can be used and is automatically replaced the next time you quick-save.

As for Nier, I enjoyed the 360/PS3 game but can't get into Nier Automata no matter how hard I try.
Automata does have many save areas and save points throughout the whole map. Saving is never an issue after you beat the opening.

Last edited:

Gandih42

As a whole, I agree with you that most modern games greatly benefit from efficient and forgiving save systems.

But even so I would argue that you could design a game where a punishing save structure can be a part of whatever experience you're trying to make.

I think an example of the extremes a forgiving checkpoint/save system can be pushed to is Godfall, where you can literally throw yourself into the boss until he dies, due to the checkpoint system. To me, that totally dissolves any tension in fighting the boss and even makes the entire fight pointless.

I'm not going to say the intro of Nier Automata necessarily benefits from this archaic implantation, but I think there's merit to at least try out different things. I think a large part of the reason Nier as a whole has such a passionate fanbase is due how it does unconventional things, which has an extreme appeal to a smaller subset of people. If it became too conventional it might appeal to more people but it wouldn't have the same kind of passionate following. Personally, I really appreciate the existence of niche cult games, even if many them don't appeal to me at all.

Anyway, that's a lot of text for a mostly pointless counter argument to why every game should have modern save features. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the fandom is really just all about dat booty.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Ah OP, the SAME THING happened to me and I didn't go back to the game for like six months because I was so mad. I then set it to easy, and never stressed out again. It's worth playing. The story is really good, but yeah, I didn't love the gameplay, and the fact that you can't save until after that tutorial is indeed bullshit.

peronmls

Played it for a couple of hours and didn't think much of it. Maybe some day I'll reinstall it from my Steam account and check if it gets any better...
Maybe play the whole game and come back with an opinion on why it's not GOAT? I mean you bought it. Might as well get your moneys worth, right?

llien

How about repeating the game 3 times to finish it? I played the first 2 playthroughs on Game Pass Xbox because I was told the third playthrough is the "real" game but there was barely any differences
That is because 12th time is the "real" game.
Be patient.

Soviet classic:

(keep saw-ing, Shura, keep sawing, it's made of gold)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ok since people seem to have selective amnesia, Nier is awesome because:
- The Story is unique and enjoyable
- Combat is top tier
- Bosses are fun and challenging
- 20 some odd "endings" is a nice touch
- Music is basically unmatched, I dare you to find a "favorite music in a game" thread and not see this game mentioned.
- Weapons are creative.
- The game's story warrants 2-3 playthroughs with 2b and 9s playing very differently. I forgot the last playable character's designation....A...something. She is closer to 2b but has some unique skills as well.
- Nier meshes many genres of games together. Starts off as a shmup, goes into 3d action adventure, side scrolling action, open world and linear segments, puzzle, Atari-esque mini games, Metroidvania and probably more but I haven't finished it in a while so I don't remember them all
- Has satisfying progression for levels, weapons and attacks for your bot.
- A single player game that actually has an end game, kinda like FFXV.
- Decent expansions and DLC.

Last edited:
Nier Automata is a great game, but the lack of save points in the tutorial is a legitimate flaw.

The guy who quit on his second playthrough is retarded though

Gandih42

- Combat is top tier
- Music is basically unmatched, I dare you to find a "favorite music in a game" thread and not see this game mentioned.
- Weapons are creative.
- The game's story warrants 2-3 playthroughs with 2b and 9s playing very differently. I forgot the last playable character's designation....A...something. She is closer to 2b but has some unique skills as well.
- Nier meshes many genres of games together. Starts off as a shmup, goes into 3d action adventure, side scrolling action, open world and linear segments, puzzle, Atari-esque mini games, Metroidvania and probably more but I haven't finished it in a while so I don't remember them all

I don't really disagree with any of these (except for the DLC which I'm not familiar with), but you must admit that a lot of this is subjective. I'm sure a lot of people genuinely feel the exact opposite with respect to many of these points.

I think it's greatest asset, aside from the music and the gaming populations favorite backside, is how it tells its story. Even if you don't like the story itself, it does a lot of really innovative and unique things that I think anyone can appreciate, if they have an open mind. It probably won't be enough to change the mind of anyone who doesn't like it, but I think it's something to consider for anyone who likes narratives in their games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't really disagree with any of these (except for the DLC which I'm not familiar with), but you must admit that a lot of this is subjective. I'm sure a lot of people genuinely feel the exact opposite with respect to many of these points.

I think it's greatest asset, aside from the music and the gaming populations favorite backside, is how it tells its story. Even if you don't like the story itself, it does a lot of really innovative and unique things that I think anyone can appreciate, if they have an open mind. It probably won't be enough to change the mind of anyone who doesn't like it, but I think it's something to consider for anyone who likes narratives in their games.
Oh yea of course most of this is my opinion.

FYI: My opinion is LAW.

/s

Jeeves

Nier Automata is a great game, but the lack of save points in the tutorial is a legitimate flaw.

The guy who quit on his second playthrough is retarded though
You mean at the beginning of the third route, right as the game is entering its best part.

For new or prospective players, let me simplify what you can expect from the structure of the game:
First route: Play 2B & 9S's story from 2B's perspective
Second route: Play 2B and 9S's story from 9S's perspective
Third route: The story continues.

It's all "the real game", although most would agree that the third route is what cements the game as an all-time great.

Zimmy68

Only read the original post. Same thing happened to me. I actually found the game pretty easy to play but some back door pink orb got me (after endless waves) and after an hour of play it sent me back to the beginning.
Never touched it again. I won’t play a game when a developer has no respect for my time.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
- Combat is top tier
- Weapons are creative.
Okay, guess I'll have to replay this on PC thanks to that new, improved version.

How are the dlcs? Never played those.

cireza

Same here. Maybe because I'm a women and 2B's ass does NOTHING for me, well actually it annoyed me. A combat robot tottering around on 6" stiletto heels in a French maid costume just came across as retarded to me.
It's the story that is absolutely fantastic. It is impossible to go into details without spoiling, but the overall concept behind it, behind the situation, is genius. Gives a lot to think about, if you enjoy Sci-Fi.

Same here. Maybe because I'm a women and 2B's ass does NOTHING for me, well actually it annoyed me. A combat robot tottering around on 6" stiletto heels in a French maid costume just came across as retarded to me.
I recommended this game to a female friend of mine a couple months ago and she immediately became obsessed, it's her favorite game of all time, she's already preordered Nier Replicant, etc etc. Her boyfriend calls it "gay anime shit."

Hugare

I'd love to see what you consider to be a deep story that isn't cringe. Lets see....

Life is Strange? Really?

398-3983029_view-11-smug-anime-girl-transparent.png
You really went to my post history in order to find something to mock me for? lol

How fucking pathetic.

And can you show me where I said that Life is Strange story was good? "Cause I never said so.

I was talking about the game's setting, atmosphere and etc. But you had to use something for your "gotcha" moment, I guess

You can enjoy your weeabo shit despite my criticism of the game, dont worry

Dont be ashamed of your 2B pillow

Last edited:

Fbh

One of my top 3 games of the gen.
But to be fair, yeah, the lack of a checkpoint at the beginning is weird. Then again it's really not hard on normal, or you can just set it to easy to get past that part.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned

False.

Technologically? Sure, there is no excuse.

Narratively? there are plenty of excuses. For example, a developer would want to put just enough save points to make the player feel axious and feel the stakes are incredibly high.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Okay, guess I'll have to replay this on PC thanks to that new, improved version.

How are the dlcs? Never played those.
To be clear the DLC is not main story related, but does offer some insight into like the robots and their story. It's an Arena mode added to the game that rewards some cosmetics like outfits inspired by Nier: Replicant. So I call it "decent" for that reason. It's not God-Tier DLC like the Witcher 3 has, but it's a welcomed addition. It adds replayability. There are 3 arenas that, like the main game, gives unique objectives like trials or playing through as one of the robots in the game. I think the dlc was just a little over 10 bucks so for the price it was decent.

Last edited:

Raven117

I actually agree with you OP. Its a great game when you get past that though.

I think Taro was trolling with that, per usual.

How about repeating the game 3 times to finish it? I played the first 2 playthroughs on Game Pass Xbox because I was told the third playthrough is the "real" game but there was barely any differences so I gave up on it at the beginning of the third. I felt like I was wasting my time. Also too many robots. Deleted.
You'll LOVE Bravely Default.

I'm serious :messenger_ogre:
Nier is a game that morphs quite a bit the more you play it.

It seems like it's merits are the fact it mixes a lot of gameplay ideas onto an RPG package, but it seems like it's weird for the sake of being weird - mostly.

Level design is not awesome, engine struggles a bit at points and a real open-world feeling is off the tables in a game that seems to want it desperately with all the quests so you end with mostly open areas, segmented into sections connected by pathways with not a whole lot to explore, story seems like a pretentious mess at first (Adam and Eve and the cutscenes that appear as you progress which seem like the game doesn't really take himself all that seriously) everything on show is a weird front to show, seems style over substance even.

And then it isn't, the way it clicks and ties everything, then shows you that there was a foresight to it makes you appreciate it. One of the best games of the generation for me, but I understand it'll never click with everyone.

The concept of the playthroughs is a non-issue seeing you keep gear and progression so going through the same places is not like the first time and structure is not a carbon copy either. If you buy into the universe, it's varied enough and it has a purpose. If you're bored though, it's probably not going to click. It's certainly never going to click once you get to the third playthrough, if it didn't already once you begun the second.

Last edited:

Elog

Nier is awesome and has the sane beginning as Bloodborne. It really pushes you to learn the basics of the game and does not hold your hand at all - those first 60min of play are hard in both games but so immensely rewarding once you are through :)

Guilty_AI

You really went to my post history in order to find something to mock me for? lol

How fucking pathetic.

And can you show me where I said that Life is Strange story was good? "Cause I never said so.

I was talking about the game's setting, atmosphere and etc. But you had to use something for your "gotcha" moment, I guess

sure, the "atmosphere"

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I agree with character design (and I hate the heels on people in real life with passion), but I think the game was good and creative on a gameplay front. But like...I don't really find anything about this game attractive, it's more like I am able to keep up with level of cringe which is in game, not really other way around.

The real meat of the game and in particular the story supposedly only happens at route C and onward. Not sure I’ll ever see it myself though as route B destroyed any will I still had to finish the game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How about repeating the game 3 times to finish it? I played the first 2 playthroughs on Game Pass Xbox because I was told the third playthrough is the "real" game but there was barely any differences so I gave up on it at the beginning of the third. I felt like I was wasting my time. Also too many robots. Deleted.

You never played the game then and are outright lying.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

How fucking pathetic.

You project too much.

Top Bottom