• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139... |OT| Unto Thy Shade

GHG

Took the plunge and got the PC version. Capped the framerate in the nvidia CP and set 16xaf there while I was at it to make sure. No problems so far but I'm very early on obviously so will see how it goes. Running at a solid 60fps @ 3328x1872 max settings on a 3900x 2070S.

Found my favourite chill spot in all of gaming again:

Nie-R-Replicant-ver-1-22474487139-24-04-2021-04-53-40.png

mcjmetroid

Took the plunge and got the PC version. Capped the framerate in the nvidia CP and set 16xaf there while I was at it to make sure. No problems so far but I'm very early on obviously so will see how it goes. Running at a solid 60fps @ 3328x1872 max settings on a 3900x 2070S.

Found my favourite chill spot in all of gaming again:

Nie-R-Replicant-ver-1-22474487139-24-04-2021-04-53-40.png
That's good to hear. I'm going to pick this up when my new TV arrives.

Glad to hear it's not performing bad like Automata

GHG

That's good to hear. I'm going to pick this up when my new TV arrives.

Glad to hear it's not performing bad like Automata

Yeh the performance isn't an issue for me at all, just a couple of things that are simple fixes so no complaints so far on my end.

Last edited:
Automata ran at a locked 1080p/60fps on PS4 Pro. I don't know what performance problems anyone had with Automata.

Apparently that is also the resolution and framerate target for Replicant on PS4 Pro, and I haven't bought a PS5 yet and plan to stick with my plan of buying PS5 when God of War: Ragnarok is released so I'll be playing on my Pro.

Speaking of which, the UPS guy just delivered my White Snow edition, what the fuck am I doing posting on GAF instead of playing it

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Automata ran at a locked 1080p/60fps on PS4 Pro. I don't know what performance problems anyone had with Automata.

Apparently that is also the resolution and framerate target for Replicant on PS4 Pro, and I haven't bought a PS5 yet and plan to stick with my plan of buying PS5 when God of War: Ragnarok is released so I'll be playing on my Pro.

Speaking of which, the UPS guy just delivered my White Snow edition, what the fuck am I doing posting on GAF instead of playing it
The pc port of Automata is almost infamously bad. Thats the version I played. I played the Gamepass version and although it has some improvements I hear. The game often runs at 59 fps I shit you not.

It's fine once you get used to it.

Pc version also has garbage draw distance and texture popin no matter what you do.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In Automata when go different area there little frame hiccup because its trying load new area since in Automata there is no loading times like there is in Replicant/Gestalt.

But that hiccup is completely gone when you play Automata on PS5.

Last edited:

JayK47

Pretty cool that they remade this game. I played the original on Xbox 360 and thought it was underappreciated for sure.

F31 Leopard

I went straight to Southern Plains when it was accessible to fight the giant shade so I could get the 50 and 100 hit trophy just like I did in the original. I then grind him for word drops and exp. I had to be careful because it's OHKO. I noticed they switched around the image icons for the trophies. I think it's pretty nuts that I got the 100 hit trophy 13 minutes right after the 50 hit back in 2010 just like today.

IOLdYgN.jpg

Last edited:

Erdrick

Picked it up today. Absolutely fell in love with Nier Gestalt when I finally played it back in the summer of 2018 on my PS3. The moment I heard Kaine speak, I knew this was something special. I've only played the opening and to the first save point but it's nice seeing the other half of this game finally. Even better to have it running and looking nice and smooth with crisp visuals now. Music is still as haunting as ever, and... while I wish it wasn't full price, as I feel it is still essentially a decade plus old game, it's by all means worth it. One of the most gripping and memorable games I've ever played. Looks can be deceiving, and this game is not what it looks like at first. Totally pick this up if you liked Automata and were curious of some of the origins of Yoko Taro's crazy mind.

Bridges

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but word of warning:

This game, unfortunately, does not support Quick Resume on XSX, so if you switch over to a different game you'll lose all progress since your last mailbox save.

Side note: The visuals are pretty incredible for a remaster or a decade old game, they put a lot more love into this than the simple up-rez treatment a lot of remasters tend to get.

I guess it's nice having OS-level suspend and resume on PS4. I've never even thought twice about it on my PS4 Pro. I wouldn't know what it's like on the Xbox side.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Course correct your baiting and trolling, especially in OTs
What year is it? Reminds me of 2010 when this game first came out.

It was savagely trashed by almost all reviewers as an example of how behind the times Japanese games are compared to the flawless storytellers at Bioware and Bethesda. The game sold poorly and was buried in history. The team that developed the game, CAVIA, was shut down. Yoko Taro's career as a director of console games was almost over. Platinum Games themselves while pitching projects to SQEX suggested the idea of working on NieR, a niche series with no status, no sales, and no critical review success. The sequel defied all expectations and was one of the best selling SQEX games ever put out, and was one of the top reviewed games of that extremely competitive year.

It was so shockingly successful, that SQEX greenlit Taro remaking this game specifically because almost everyone missed playing it the first time, and it was so good that they were willing to spend money on a 2nd chance of the game after it was robbed by asshole reviewers the first time.

Fast forward to 04/23/21, 11 years later. This motherfucker ....

747154.jpg

Fuck you, fuck your weeb bullshit insults and fuck your stupid Xbox t-shirt avatar. Go play the top tier games from Bethesda and Bioware. Oh wait, there aren't any anymore. That ridiculous bubble burst after all the western-focused hype reviewers and people like you invested into a lie - that they were the "best storytellers" and far better than Japanese games.

NieR, and its sequel are fantastic games. Some of the best storytelling in the entire medium. It has nothing to do with weebs.

Kobe Bryant What GIF

Take a chill pill punished snack.

BlakeofT

I bought this on PC several months ago. Before turning the game on for the first time, I changed my monitor settings so that it runs at 60 hz using the Windows 10 control panel. No idea if this is supposed to solve the problem or not. Two hours in and I haven't noticed any issues so far. Very pleased and I'm excited to play more of it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
For how cheery and standard fantasy rpg like the game pretends to be early on these blood stains are really creepy stuff, they stand out and stick to your feet. I've not noticed issues so far, though maxed (make sure you go and set the lod to max manually, it doesn't do that with the general high setting just as it doesn't max anisotropic filtering and stuff either) it runs between 60 and 90 fps so maybe it doesn't go too far beyond 60 to cause issues for me? I'll lock it with MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner just in case. I'm up to the lost shrine's end and so far so good for me. I quite like it.
NieR_Replicant_ver.1.22474487139_2021_04_24_02_04_51_841.png
I watched footage of original dad Nier up to the point I'm up in the remake. Other than dad vs bro it looks 1:1 but like the original had some "clunkier" as some call it Monster Hunter-esque controls and combat (even gathering of random items on the ground, now you just pick them up with no animation). I'm not sure it's a good thing they changed all that, if animation priorities and what not made it click vs the much more fluid and fast Automata style of the remake. It even looks like it so far has the exact same encounter design but surely the new system makes it easier than it's meant to be (though I didn't watch the wintery early intro parts and I did see some potential for difficulty with such crowds in the remake)? So far I've basically spammed triangle for the puny crowds when in a playthrough of the original I see much more deliberate actions taken with all their pauses and lack of targeting? I dunno. Anyway, Nier sure deserved better as the original from what I'm seeing here. The remake is a pretty good lick of paint (I mean, it's not next gen like the Demon's Souls remake is to expect the same impressive result, it looks great) but every other design aspect, down to each camera angle, breakable box and stuff I laughed at, like the so 90s box pulling/pushing "puzzle" and such, was in the original too, unless later parts diverge more from here. I also thought blood was meant just for living stuff for impact but the shades bleed in the original.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Managed to kill armored magical being with enormous weapons and shields yet I get fucking killed by a boar.

freakin love it.
They are several enemies in this game that can one shot you, there is the Boar in northern plain and giant Shade near the Seafront.

killatopak

I dunno if Kawakami‘s VA is in the game but I was surprised when I heard one of the villagers sound exactly like her.

Any more PC impressions?

Need to decide if it's worth the gamble in getting it from GMG or CD Keys to save a bit of money or whether I need to buy it directly on Steam to get the option of the refund should I need it? Or there's always the option of getting the playstation version if the PC port is a complete bust.

tenor.gif
Been playing it on PC for a bit. No major problems here running at 4K@60fps on max settings. I had capped the framerate through Nvidia control panel, but ended up just going through SpecialK to resolve other issues like weird framerate dips related to a bug with controller input (I'm using a PS5 controller).

Anyone know how to use SpecialK working with this? I guess the guy has bailed on Steam and all the guides are super old.
There's a short guide on ResetEra. I'll post the gist of it here for those that would prefer to stay in NeoGAF.

You can find the preconfigured SpecialK here: https://mega.nz/file/mgkxQY6a#Yt8ibkw0sEbB5n2IQwR7hTcErhp7-V4_aXgStaIsoQw
JCmYtTf.png

43UJfkE.png

Additionally, I had to disable PS4 HID to prevent some weird hitching in the framerate.

Last edited:

killatopak

Tried to kite the large shade thinking I could just hit it from afar with the spears and got my ass blasted.

Went to the port town instead and find that it’s a little bit more sunnier when I went back home and found that the shade was gone. That’s actually a nice detail of in game lore translated to gameplay.

The weather changes in Nier's Village all the time as the story advances. A nice touch compared to most games where the environment of a zone is fixed forever. The whole game is full of little things like this, even moreso than Automata in many ways.

Cyborg

Ok playing this for the first time ever. Man, what is up with all these loading screens.... 😅 Ridiculous! Go to library loading.... Go home loading home etc etc.

jeeez man 😅

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's definitely a slow start at four hours in but I have to hope it's building to something good.
The world of Nier Automata left me feeling pretty empty as well, but by route B, the world felt more alive, perhaps with felt from story context.

SkylineRKR

Couldn't pinpoint Jakob but he's Sam Riegel (VA of Jude Mathis from Xillia). DC Douglas killing it again as bad guy.

I think I prefer Brother Nier. I dunno why, but it feels more natural. He's hanging out with Kaine who is his senior at first, and a kid. Some dialogue and events are also resonate better with a young dude. Ofcourse it means no Jamieson Price but Chase is doing a good job. He also fits well with the stylish moves you can do. I always felt father Nier looked out of place somehow though a father trying to save his daughter works very well ofcourse.

The timeskip is weird with father Nier. He didn't change, and Kaine looks at him differently. Now brother went from an underage brat to a powerful young adult. He's drastically changed. And this also makes more sense with the ability to use heavy weapons you get at this point.

Last edited:
Just got a blast from the past when someone on my friends list asked me wtf I was playing lol. Because the Steam version has the famous (dare I say Legendary?) 'presence data' that the PS3 version had.
n1dTsHy.jpg

Edit: looks like the PS4 version has it as well, though it doesn't show up on the PS App. I had to log onto the console to see it on others

Last edited:

Danjin44

Couldn't pinpoint Jakob but he's Sam Riegel (VA of Jude Mathis from Xillia). DC Douglas killing it again as bad guy.

I think I prefer Brother Nier. I dunno why, but it feels more natural. He's hanging out with Kaine who is his senior at first, and a kid. Some dialogue and events are also resonate better with a young dude. Ofcourse it means no Jamieson Price but Chase is doing a good job. He also fits well with the stylish moves you can do. I always felt father Nier looked out of place somehow though a father trying to save his daughter works very well ofcourse.

The timeskip is weird with father Nier. He didn't change, and Kaine looks at him differently. Now brother went from an underage brat to a powerful young adult. He's drastically changed. And this also makes more sense with the ability to use heavy weapons you get at this point.
The thing is the only reason Papa Nier exist is because they wanted to appeal to western audience, Yoko Taro wrote Nier's story with brother Nier in mind.

Shifty1897

So my PS5 was supposed to come in the mail on Thursday, and the plan was to buy this and play it all weekend. Surprise, my PS5 is still "in transit, arriving late" and I'm just sitting here in the dark, listening to Hills of Radiant Winds on Spotify and wishing USPS had their shit together.

Bridges

So I'm running around and exploring Seafront, and Grimoire Weiss keeps stopping me to ask if I want help. Is there any downside to accepting this? I've been saying no so far but didn't want to do anything that'd negatively impact the game, and I wasn't sure if this was simply a hint system or something else.

EDIT: It seems to have stopped now that I found the person in town that progresses the story, so I guess that answers my question, it just asked me more frequently that I expected to the point that it made me a tad suspicious.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Hey guys

Just wondering would you recommend playing this first before Automata or the other way round? I know it's a prequel just curious is all.

I still have Automata to play which I already have.

Javthusiast

Banned
Hey guys

Just wondering would you recommend playing this first before Automata or the other way round? I know it's a prequel just curious is all.

I still have Automata to play which I already have.

Definitely play this first, some revelations in automata will spoil things in this game.

Jeeves

Knock on wood, but I'm having no issues on PC so far. Only played an hour though.

Playing with a 360 controller in Big Picture mode, 1080p borderless fullscreen. High settings + max LOD. Radeon RX 580. That's without any extra fixes or anything installed.

Last edited:
Liking the game a lot so far, despite some seriously dated game mechanics and level design.

Been avoiding looking at the trophies because I hear some of them contain non-hidden spoilers. What are the requirements for platinum? I’ve been doing sidequests so far I’m supposed to go to the forest, been trying to do everything before I reach the point of no return but it’s been such a grind for some things. Wondering if it’s even worth the extra time and effort or if there are more ridiculous things besides all sidequests that would need to happen.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Liking the game a lot so far, despite some seriously dated game mechanics and level design.

Been avoiding looking at the trophies because I hear some of them contain non-hidden spoilers. What are the requirements for platinum? I’ve been doing sidequests so far I’m supposed to go to the forest, been trying to do everything before I reach the point of no return but it’s been such a grind for some things. Wondering if it’s even worth the extra time and effort or if there are more ridiculous things besides all sidequests that would need to happen.

Plat's pretty tough actually, well high effort at least.

They have dialled back the speedrun trials but doing the Legendary Gardener quest is more difficult because you can't fudge the system clock time so easily. It is doable apparently with some jigging about of the console time zones, but that sounds like a hassle to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom