• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake PC Requirements

ZoukGalaxy

Seriously, a GTX 1080 as minimum ?
Are they coding with their feet or a NES gamepad ?
code GIF

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Doesn’t this not release till 2024 I’d prefer them not even skimping to make a 60fps mode at that point let that be a ps5 pro thing
1080p60 with TSR to boost it up to whatever res maybe.
But if you want any reasonable resolution this is not going to be 60fps on PS5 and XSX.

The PS5 Pro aint showing up in 2024.

Seriously, a GTX 1080 as minimum ?
Are they coding with their feet or a NES gamepad ?
code GIF
UE5 with nanite/lumen asks for a 1080Ti.
Be glad they are even trying to fit this on a 1080 base.

CamHostage

Asking again since this has popped onto another page, have you seen UE5 officially listed for SH2r, or is that just part of the rumor reports still? I don't recall that being mentioned in the Konami stream nor on the Steam page, and mainstream press just says "Unreal Engine", if anything.

(EDIT: Confirmed, it's on UE5.)

Last edited:

ABnormal

Bloober Team + Unoptimized Mess. Name a more iconic duo.
There's nothing to optimize, they are using an engine done by others. Nanite will handle the load and they have to set for the resolution that will allow a stable frame rate. They have just to get it right artistically.
It's also a very slow game. If there is a game that would be fine at 30 fps, it's this.

Black_Stride

Asking again since this has popped onto another page, have you seen UE5 officially listed for SH2r, or is that just part of the rumor still? I don't recall that being mentioned in the stream and mainstream press just says "Unreal Engine".
No reason for any dev making a nextgen only title this far into the generation to be using UE4.
UE5 has been in a shippable state for a minute now.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Asking again since this has popped onto another page, have you seen UE5 officially listed for SH2r, or is that just part of the rumor reports still? I don't recall that being mentioned in the Konami stream nor on the Steam page, and mainstream press just says "Unreal Engine", if anything.
Developers themselves confirmed that it's developed on UE5:

Black_Stride

Playstation themselves confirmed its Unreal Engine 5:

Built with Unreal Engine 5​

We are updating the Silent Hill 2 experience comprehensively. With the possibilities of the Unreal Engine 5, we’re bringing the foggy, sinister town to life in ways that were impossible up to this point. The game will delight PlayStation 5 players visually, auditorily, and sensorily.

Some of the Unreal Engine 5 features that really shine are Lumen and Nanite. With them we’re raising the graphics to new, highly-detailed and realistic levels, while turning the game’s signature nerve-racking atmosphere to eleven.

Lumen is a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes. It means that the light interacts with the environment realistically, just like in the real world. The whole game environment is lit more naturally this way. The Nanite technology, on the other hand, is an amazing tool for level designers. With it, they can create incredibly detailed worlds and more realistic environments that look and feel almost lifelike.

Banned
There's nothing to optimize, they are using an engine done by others. Nanite will handle the load and they have to set for the resolution that will allow a stable frame rate. They have just to get it right artistically.
It's also a very slow game. If there is a game that would be fine at 30 fps, it's this.

are you actually suggesting that Unreal Engine games don't need to be optimized by the developers? UNREAL ENGINE... like the same engine that runs fine on PC when The Coalition makes a game, but has stuttering issues with almost every other developer laying hands on it?

the engine that makes this game run like ass while looking much less demanding than many other UE titles that run better on the same hardware?

Nanite can't be used for everything either, not to mention that this game certainly will not need to use Lumen either because there aren't many instances where baked lighting would be just as effective, but Bloober could be idiots and just let Lumen handle all the lighting because that's easier than to have artist-driven lighting that is hand tailored to look good while running fast.

Lumen and Nanite. With them we’re raising the graphics to new, highly-detailed and realistic levels, while turning the game’s signature nerve-racking atmosphere to eleven.

so basically confirming that they will waste render budget on Lumen even tho this is Silent Hill, a game with basically no dynamic light sources except for 1 and where baked lighting would work just as fine.
if The Last of Us 2's lighting can look as good as it does without raytracing, then Silent Hill 2 should be a walk in the park... but Bloober is throwing away render budget with this most likely because it's easier for them

Last edited:

ABnormal

are you actually suggesting that Unreal Engine games don't need to be optimized by the developers? UNREAL ENGINE... like the same engine that runs fine on PC when The Coalition makes a game, but has stuttering issues with almost every other developer laying hands on it?

the engine that makes this game run like ass while looking much less demanding than many other UE titles that run better on the same hardware?

Nanite can't be used for everything either, not to mention that this game certainly will not need to use Lumen either because there aren't many instances where baked lighting would be just as effective, but Bloober could be idiots and just let Lumen handle all the lighting because that's easier than to have artist-driven lighting that is hand tailored to look good while running fast.

I'm suggesting that developers don't have to mingle with the code of the engine. They just have to optimize the game's load. That's much, much more straightforward than having to solve problems at code level. It's basically a live measurement of performance at different loads of detail (being it detail of models, lighting, resolution, etc.).

Banned
I'm suggesting that developers don't have to mingle with the code of the engine. They just have to optimize the game's load. That's much, much more straightforward than having to solve problems at code level. It's basically a live measurement of performance at different loads of detail (being it detail of models, lighting, resolution, etc.).

that doesn't prevent them from using Lumen for no reason other than because it's easy.
Lumen, from all we saw so far, is extremely slow to say the least, and this Silent Hill 2 remake better completely change how the game is structured to justify the use of this extremely expensive lighting solution instead of going for a more artist driven approach.

I can't think of anything that Lumen could do in Silent Hill 2 in order to enhance the presentation in any meaningful way, other than if they randomly throw in moving dynamic lights into every single room in the game, which I highly doubt.

so they might not need to optimize the engine itself, but they sure as fuck still need to optimize their render budget

Black_Stride

so basically confirming that they will waste render budget on Lumen even tho this is Silent Hill, a game with basically no dynamic light sources except for 1 and where baked lighting would work just as fine.
if The Last of Us 2's lighting can look as good as it does without raytracing, then Silent Hill 2 should be a walk in the park... but Bloober is throwing away render budget with this most likely because it's easier for them
GI even with indoor scenes can be absolutely worth it.
Fbqs38PWIAI7L7W

Imagine this ^ scene with some good GI....everything would be planted in the world.
Without good GI everything looks detached from everything else in the scene.
When TLOU comes out on PC Ill be sure to inject SSRTGI and show you just how much of a game changer GI makes to pretty much any scene.

Its not like you really really need a 60fps mode in Silent Hill.
Pray they are shipping with 5.1 or 5.1x and Lumen isnt as costly so they can still get a 60fps mode.
But looking at that fog......i dont think 60fps is an option either way.

5yIMjQQ.gif

Banned
Fbqs38PWIAI7L7W

Imagine this ^ scene with some good GI....everything would be planted in the world.
When TLOU comes out on PC Ill be sure to inject SSRTGI and show you just how much of a game changer GI makes to pretty much any scene.

Pray they are shipping with 5.1 or 5.1x and Lumen isnt as costly so they can still get a 60fps mode.

5yIMjQQ.gif

you can prebake GI in a game as static as Silent Hill, Screen Space based like in Gears 5 is of course also an option, especially in a slow, dark and static game like Silent Hill.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
5700 minimum for 1080p30?

Ahahahahahahaha
Damn the Xbox Series S really is about to be the lowest common denominator this gen

12GBs of ram requirement when the Xbox Series S has 8GBs fast and 2GBs slow and then there's the low memory bandwidth

1080p60 with TSR to boost it up to whatever res maybe.
But if you want any reasonable resolution this is not going to be 60fps on PS5 and XSX.

The PS5 Pro aint showing up in 2024.

Im predicting late 2024 so bookmark this

Black_Stride

you can prebake GI in a game as static as Silent Hill, Screen Space based like in Gears 5 is of course also an option, especially in a slow, dark and static game like Silent Hill.
Yeah you could use prebaked lighting but everything dynamic in the scene would still be detached from all the lighting....and the game has alot of fog....directly lighting that fog or having it not be affected by the prebaked lighting would look like shit.
You could use probes, but those can end up still being costly and not really giving you the results you want.
A screen space solution is also an option, but those end up costing about the same as lumen anyway.

Or and hear me out.....you could use Lumen.

Im predicting late 2024 so bookmark this
Will bookmark it.
Cuz 2024 to release the PS5 Pro seems way too soon.

ZoukGalaxy

Be glad they are even trying to fit this on a 1080 basbase
Oh yeah, I'm so glad with my 1070. How magnanimous they are to try to code with a gamepad for a 1080 and not even trying to optimize as their habits. Let's make a new UE5 game poorly done.
prayer GIF

Last edited:

GHG

Oh yeah, I'm so glad with my 1070. How magnanimous they are to try to code with a gamepad for a 1080 and not even trying to optimize.
prayer GIF

You most likely have a couple of years to upgrade. By then the 1080 will be equivalent to whatever latest Nvidia XX50 card is available at the time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So, has this been confirmed / stated by Konami as being a UE5 game? I haven't seen it specified and don't remember it in the video, but I see it taken as locked so I wasn't sure (Bloober is already on UE5 with Layers of Fear, so it's worth assuming... everybody should be on UE5 by now unless reasons otherwise, but it's not been a rapid adoption as expected.)

If so, I believe this is the first major publisher title with actual specs listed out for a UE5 release (besides Matrix Awakens, but even that was only City Sample on PC.) Interesting details to note there.
They confirmed on the PS blog. they are using Nanite and Lumens. So its true UE5, not fake UE5 like Fortnite.

ABnormal

so they might not need to optimize the engine itself, but they sure as fuck still need to optimize their render budget
Of course, that was exactly the point. But it's doable on a realtime tester, very fast. I agree that the use of Lumen appears to be unnecessary. Unless they intend to introduce some more dynamic lighting eithr outside and/or inside buildings. At the very least, if they chose to use it, that means that they are confident that it would be better than not using it, so in their opinion is a better trade off. We will see the actual final resolution. The Matrix demo had also to manage an open world and mani systems. In addition to further advancements in the engine optimization, a more closed game should allow to punch more on the visual side, res included.

Black_Stride

Oh yeah, I'm so glad with my 1070. How magnanimous they are to try to code with a gamepad for a 1080 and not even trying to optimize as their habits. Let's make a new UE5 game poorly done.
prayer GIF
6iXSuB5.gif

Is this what you were expecting:
cYHYTPz.jpg

Your GPU is 3 generations old, are you shocked its min-spec?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So this is not going to run great on a Steam Deck? I’m reading where SD’s GPU is about equal to a 1050, so I imagine if the minimum is a 1080 that it’s gonna run like dog crap on a Steam Deck. 🤷‍♂️ I’ve got a PS5, but still.. I had hope. Can’t they release a FSR patch for Silent Hill 2? I really like the Steam Deck, but what a kick in the nuts if this can’t run on it.

A TBA release date should imply that the game is not done with development, pulling out system requirements at this point is not something I think possible.
Take this with a grain of salt

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I should be fine on a 3080. Can probably rock a solid 60fps on mostly high settings in 4k I presume .

People here upset that cards from long ago aren’t being catered to by one game. It’s been over 6 years lol. Isn’t that generally when you would need to upgrade a card ?

2000 series , 3000 series, and now 4000 incoming but people still think 1000 should be the baseline to entry to play yet complain games aren’t next gen.

Stick to Minecraft on low settings you 1080 plebs, and let us enjoy some eye candy games again on PC.

On a side note I do think the game will likely run like shit on anything below a 3080 since bloober are caca.

Flabagast

Have you watched the trailer ? I don't think so. During the opening shot, the lightning of the entire scene is changing drastically at every second as the door opens and then closes. It's simply impossible to get this result without GI, and you certainly do not see anything of this sort in TLOU 2 (or any non RTGI game for that matter).

This thread is just embarassing tbh, it really shows how the run-of-the-mill gamer is nearly totally uneducated in terms of recognizing visual advancements (beyond what Digital Foundry tells him to brainlessly think about resolution and framerate of course) and what it entails in terms of associated requirements.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Not a fan of the tired over the shoulder camera. Silent Hill is not known for its combat, much less shooting. OTS is a camera perspective built for shooting first and foremost.

Silent hill Shooting is SUPPOSED to be clunky. Hopefully James doesn't turn into Marcus Fenix with the OTS view.

We are going to lose the cinematic fixed camera angles or the somewhat dynamic claustrophobic angles that this series used so well. But I don't expect blobber to understand peak 90s early 00s survival horror finesse.

Last edited:

hlm666

rdna 4 and whatever nvidia has next (hopper?) will be out by the time this releases. People worrying about min specs here are gonna hit some hurdles before they have to worry about this one.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This isn't "the REAL next gen", this is just bad optimisation.

Cyborg

People expecting the game to look like the reveal trailer are set up for disappointment. I have zero issues playing this in 30fp on consoles
I think I'm the only one here who hasn't played this game on PS1.

kyliethicc

RTGI is very cool and it can offer more realistic lighting.

But Naughty Dog devs have said they don't necessarily want their lighting to look realistic.

They simply light the scene for artistic purposes and sometimes for gameplay purposes.

And sometimes a more realistic lighting setup would detract from the intent of the level/scene.

Is this real-time or CG?
its def in engine. probably real time

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This does not look like a game that should need to run at 1080p30 on PS5, if that's what this indicates. Guess Bloober are just not very good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom