• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cause just because you aren't white, doesn't mean that whatever you are have a delightful history with black people.
But just because I'm not black, doesn't mean that the people where my family has from hasn't faced oppression at the hands of other white people.
What doesthe opening have to do with what I said?
You addressed white people and the usage of the word, but there are other races of people that exist other than black and white people.
Nigga was not reclaimed so minorities could use it. It was reclaimed by black for black people as a means of empowerment. If you are not black what do you think that word has to do with you? The answer is nothing. So don't use it.
Then you should've made the OP say "non-black", not "white" if it is addressing anyone that isn't black.

black people as a minority deserve this empowerment, but other minorities if they don't have that privilege, are therefore lacking the right to that sort of empowerment?

If you're not black, don't say it. Better?
Would you say it to some random black person that you don't know?
Yes, that is better, and no of course I wouldn't do that. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, but I have seen brown people do it before.
When in doubt D.O.N.T
So can we agree that Part 3 should be changed from white to non black?

HeySeuss

I love this thread and would never think that it would ever be ok to use it in conversation.

Is the D.O.N.T method your creation? Because I think I'm going to borrow it for my diversity training.

eXtv

Banned
I mean, he's a highly regarded 20th century composer and his body of work is as daunting as it is demanding, but there's plenty of scatological humour in there to enjoy too.

He'd very much appreciate a loud, lingering jazz fart.

95% of his released music stinks, if we're being honest, and as a person he was utterly toxic and reprehensible in his attitudes towards music and society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY but this will never fail to transfix me

Imm0rt4l

Blacks are the only people that embrace each other with a negative word. Never seen anything like it. You wonder why other races look down on us. I've alway thought that something is wrong with us to say that to each other. I don't use it and correct ANYONE that thinks I embrace it. My mom killed that term for me and my siblings a long time ago. You use it, pops you in the mouth and called you that all day to make you feel like shit. I love her for that.
No we aren't

You addressed white people and the usage of the word, but there are other races of people that exist other than black and white people.Then you should've made the OP say "non-black", not "white" if it is addressing anyone that isn't black.

No I didn't. 1) I did not make the opening. 2) You asked in another post can browm people say it. You were told no. You said in that thread only one person adressed your point. I am addressing it now. No, the word nigga is about black empowerment. Its not about white people or other minorities. If you are not black dont say it. You keep ignoring this really straight forward point. What is confusimg about what I have just repeated for the third time? If you are not black do not say this word. It has nothing to do with Asians, Whites, Native Americans etc.

The OP covers its history of usage, and only addresses why white people shouldn't use it.

So going by the OP's narrative, there's black people and white people, but if you're not black, then why do you automatically fall under white?
I explicitly state the small group that is culturally allowed to use,it. If your not part of the group D.O.N.T use it.

Hylian7

Great post OP.

Serious question, and this will sound really stupid: I always assumed the etomology of the word was from the Spanish word for the color black, negro (pronounced "neg" as in "negative"), then the slur "negro" (knee grow) came from that, and then I figured the n-word evolved from that. Is there any truth to this?

You might want to check up on that. Not everyone is American.

The guy who said it is Black, I'm Black American; I think I know how a word is used in the context another Black guy says it about other Blacks.

Another reason the term can be used by other Blacks is in reference to another Black person that's reinforcing the worst negative stereotypes.

I love this thread and would never think that it would ever be ok to use it in conversation.

Is the D.O.N.T method your creation? Because I think I'm going to borrow it for my diversity training.
If I just wrote don't people would have tried to make more loop holes. The acronym covers the grey areas, preventing exploitation.

Mediking

I'm a bazillion percent sure I hear FilthyFrank say it all the time and I'm even sure H3H3 said it once in a video together with FilthyFrank. I was like, "Ummmm????"

Mohonky

The guy who said it is Black, I'm Black American; I think I know how a word is used in the context another Black guy says it about other Blacks but thanks anyway since you think Black culture can be easily distilled in an online Urban dictionary instead of the folks that actually live it.

As a black American, feel free to come to Australia and use the term in the presence of an Indigenous Australian and let me know how that works out for you.

Hint: 'Coon' to Indigenous Australians is the equivalent of calling a black American a nigger. Just because your cultural sensitivities are different it doesnt absolve you of how the term is used.

If Im not mistaken, thats the entire point of this discussion. So unless you're reaching for a double standard here, you either realise you need to be careful if what YOU consider a social norm vs what is actually culturally insensitive to others.

Are my Sudanese friends allowed to use it? What about Malawians? There's also a half-caste Zimbabwean girl I work with. Is she too white?

I have a feeling if you have to ask for permission, then no.

One shouldn't be trying to look for more opportunities to say it if they have never before. There's nothing substantive to gain from it. There's no verbal climax from uttering the word, especially with other people. And your vocabulary doesn't suffer without it.

As a black American, feel free to come to Australia and use the term in the presence of an Indigenous Australian and let me know how that works out for you.

Hint: 'Coon' to Indigenous Australians is the equivalent of calling a black American a nigger. Just because your cultural sensitivities are different it doesnt absolve you of how the term is used.

If Im not mistaken, thats the entire point of this discussion. So unless you're reaching for a double standard here, you either realise you need to be careful if what YOU consider a social norm vs what is actually culturally insensitive to others.

You asked for the definition and context of how another poster used it, I explained it to you. I didn't say the word. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd7YDAKlCo8

I have a feeling if you have to ask for permission, then no.

One shouldn't be trying to look for more opportunities to say it if they have never before. There's nothing substantive to gain from it. There's no verbal climax from uttering the word, especially with other people. And your vocabulary doesn't suffer without it.

Exactly, this is what I don't get that others don't understand. If you legitimately have to ask "is it okay?" it's not. Its really that simple. If you feel guilty about it, don't, its that simple. Like a poster said, we're all adults here, at the end of the day you can do and say whatever you want, it doesn't make you free of the consequence to who you may say it around and it doesn't make it right either.

I really like the post, but I would like to ask the African-American community here if they've had a similar experience to me. I've lived pretty much all my life in Ohio in the Cleveland area which has a lot of Hispanic peoples, especially Puerto Ricans. While growing up I've definitely heard a whole lot of PR people use the N-word (generally in a friendly manner) and nobody ever called them on it so I never did either. Is this just a regional thing or ...?

I am half black - half central american so I always felt like an idiot asking about it so I'm doing it here on the anonymous internet.

edit:
If you're not black and if you want to know if you can use it with your friends for a joke or whatever- just ask them if they think it's fine. They're adult human beings, if they would have an issue they'll let you know. I personally don't care due to my experiences, but other people do. Have a conversation. Just be aware the 'conversation' might "No. End of discussion", and that has to be cool too. My .02

No I didn't. 1) I did not make the opening. 2) You asked in another post can browm people say it. You were told no. You said in that thread only one person adressed your point. I am addressing it now. No, the word nigga is about black empowerment. Its not about white people or other minorities. If you are not black dont say it. You keep ignoring this really straight forward point. What is confusimg about what I have just repeated for the third time? If you are not black do not say this word. It has nothing to do with Asians, Whites, Native Americans etc.
my fault, I thought you were the OP. I didn't say that in the other thread that only one person addressed my point. I meant that only one person tried to understand what I meant and got it. If the rule is for anyone not black, then the OP should have Part 3 read "non black", not "white". It leaves ambiguity since it doesn't specifically address other minorities.

What annoys me is when things like this happen as if people are either black, or white.
I explicitly state the small group that is culturally allowed to use,it. If your not part of the group D.O.N.T use it.
I must've misread because I didn't realize you were OP. The small group culturally allowed to use it is just black people though right?

Mohonky

You asked for the definition and context of how another poster used it, I explained it to you. I didn't say the word. LOL

You attempted to justify it by slinging it back at me that it was ok because he was black and you were black so you knew the context of the word. Yoi know the context of the word IN YOUR SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT.

My point entirely, there are many Americans on this forum, but a great deal of others from around the world. There are people from a multitude of cultures and ethnic backgrounds on this forum. People are quick to jump down others throats for being ignorant of social and cultural faux passes that are very Ameeican centric and tell others off (or banned) for being ignorant or racist irrespective of their cultural background or sensitivites not fully understanding what they actually said or did because its not something they are historically or culturally aware of, but non-American centric faux passes get glossed over.

The term 'coon' is the most racially loaded term to an Indigenous Australian. We have a cheese here called coon yes, and theres been a debate on going for fucking years to have it removed (rightly so imo).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Can I say "ninja" instead?

If you say that, this is what you look like.

2014InsaneClownPosse_Getty2685578090714.jpg

Unless you're an actual ninja. Then by all means, continue on with your assassinations.

You attempted to justify it by slinging it back at me that it was ok because he was black and you were black so you knew the context of the word. Yoi know the context of the word IN YOUR SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT.

My point entirely, there are many Americans on this forum, but a great deal of others from around the world. There are people from a multitude of cultures and ethnic backgrounds on this forum. People are quick to jump down others throats for being ignorant of social and cultural faux passes that are very Ameeican centric and tell others off (or banned) for being ignorant or racist irrespective of their cultural background or sensitivites not fully understanding what they actually said or did because its not something they are historically or culturally aware of, but non-American centric faux passes get glossed over.

The term 'coon' is the most racially loaded term to an Indigenous Australian. We have a cheese here called coon yes, and theres been a debate on going for fucking years to have it removed (rightly so imo).

You specifically asked for the definition and context the term Coon was used, I gave you the answer and you told me I was wrong. LOL That's what I had issue with, not whether or not you thought it appropriate to be posted on this forum.

D i Z

my fault, I thought you were the OP. I didn't say that in the other thread that only one person addressed my point. I meant that only one person tried to understand what I meant and got it. If the rule is for anyone not black, then the OP should have Part 3 read "non black", not "white". It leaves ambiguity since it doesn't specifically address other minorities.

What annoys me is when things like this happen as if people are either black, or white.
I must've misread because I didn't realize you were OP. The small group culturally allowed to use it is just black people though right?

You've already had that answered a million times in this thread, and in every other thread over the last couple of years. You're trolling ass needs to just stop already. Nobody is buying it. No means NO!

moggio

Banned
95% of his released music stinks, if we're being honest,

I cannot agree with this.

and as a person he was utterly toxic and reprehensible in his attitudes towards music and society.

Also this is not remotely representative of Frank as a person or his work, so I'm assuming you aren't actually familiar with either.

That's something for another thread, however.

My question was:

Are there any good examples of white people using "nigger" in a context used to express an idea that is historical/satirical/whatever in ultimately positive or thought provoking way?

Mohonky

You specifically asked for the definition and context the term Coon was used, I gave you the answer and you told me I was wrong. LOL That's what I had issue with, not whether or not you thought it appropriate to be posted on this forum.

You still dont get it.

otapnam

I think that growing up alot of non black kids like myself (that casually listened to hip hop and was interested in other parts of black culture) weren't sure of the full implications.

As an adult there's pretty much no excuse. Especially in 2016

I really like the post, but I would like to ask the African-American community here if they've had a similar experience to me. I've lived pretty much all my life in Ohio in the Cleveland area which has a lot of Hispanic peoples, especially Puerto Ricans. While growing up I've definitely heard a whole lot of PR people use the N-word (generally in a friendly manner) and nobody ever called them on it so I never did either. Is this just a regional thing or ...?

I am half black - half central american so I always felt like an idiot asking about it so I'm doing it here on the anonymous internet.

edit:
If you're not black and if you want to know if you can use it with your friends for a joke or whatever- just ask them if they think it's fine. They're adult human beings, if they would have an issue they'll let you know. I personally don't care due to my experiences, but other people do. Have a conversation. Just be aware the 'conversation' might "No. End of discussion", and that has to be cool too. My .02

My mom is Afro-Mexican and my dad is Afro-PR-Irish(white), I've heard him say it to a family friend that is white-PR and mexican. My grandmother who is black has called him out on it. I feel like ricans i've been around use it more than mexicans to be honest, I don't think I had a problem with it unless they were white ricans.

You still dont get it.

You don't get it, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the other stuff you're saying; but you're responding to me as if I do or as if I said the term on here instead of the person who was trying to help you out and explain the term's use within the context of African American culture.

My question was:

Are there any good examples of white people using "nigger" in a context used to express an idea that is historical/satirical/whatever in ultimately positive or thought provoking way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXWBvB4U-cA

I'll never use the word, other than maybe discussing it in historical, literary, sociological context. I don't usually rap along with songs either but even if I did, I probably wouldn't say it when it comes up. I would never refer to a person as a N or use it as an adjective or adverb. I would use it if it's part of a discussion, although probably only in writing. When I speak it, I'd almost definitely say "The N-word," every time it comes out of my mouth even under my breath if I'm thinking about a point I'm worried how it sounds, and I feel better saying N-word.

Mark Twain, in the Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn. Twain uses nigger with irony throughout almost the entire story. For instance, there's a riverboat explosion, and one character asks Huck if anybody was hurt, and Huck replies, "No, it killed a nigger," and Sally replies something to the affect of "Well that's good that no person got hurt." It's ironic for a dozen reasons, but most notably because the only adult character who has any lasting positive affect on Huck is Jim, who is called a nigger throughout the book, and Huck is a product of his environment.

There are a dozen other instances from Twain where nigger is used as a pejorative by a white person who is a drunk, sloven idiot and has no grounds to describe anybody derogatorily.

You've already had that answered a million times in this thread, and in every other thread over the last couple of years. You're trolling ass needs to just stop already. Nobody is buying it. No means NO!
I'm not trolling. I must've missed something in the OP and you can clear it up for me or this can keep going back and forth. I'm trying to be absolutely sure.

Enzom21

I'm not trolling. I must've missed something in the OP and you can clear it up for me or this can keep going back and forth. I'm trying to be absolutely sure.

Bullshit. You have had your silly ass question answered in two fucking threads now and you're still not sure? You must really want to say nigger.

Mohonky

You don't get it, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the other stuff you're saying; but you're responding to me as if I do or as if I said the term on here instead of the person who was trying to help you out and explain the term's use within the context of African American culture.]

....because you said this;

The guy who said it is Black, I'm Black American; I think I know how a word is used in the context another Black guy says it about other Blacks.

Another reason the term can be used by other Blacks is in reference to another Black person that's reinforcing the worst negative stereotypes.

You explained it away in YOUR cultural context. Your cultural context is NOT the same as everyone elses. Which is entirely my point. We get this in every thread about blackface and this very thread is the definition of what I'm getting at. This thread is about why you can't use a word; irrespective of your own cultural heritage or social surroundings. Every thread about blackface or thread about the use of the term 'nigga' people get thrown on a stake for not understanding the cultural significance of it to some people, I got a ban for pointing out why others not familiar with American history or culture may struggle to understand why it has such an impact to certain groups. They, and I consequently, got banned (and I'll probably get another for this post but I'm beyond it at this point).

My entire point is a term was used that the original poster obviously didn't understand the context of it in my particular environment, you explained the definition within your environment which happen to be similar / the same as his.

I'm pointing out that people should not be surprised that others make faux passes like this or say they don't understand what the big deal is; it maybe ignorant, but time and again I've seen people banned this sort of thing. So unless the poster who used the word 'coon' has a reprimand coming his / her way, others shouldn't be so quick to jump down others throats for not understanding something or immediately grasping the full consequence of their naivety.

NeonBlack

Blacks are the only people that embrace each other with a negative word. Never seen anything like it. You wonder why other races look down on us. I've alway thought that something is wrong with us to say that to each other. I don't use it and correct ANYONE that thinks I embrace it. My mom killed that term for me and my siblings a long time ago. You use it, pops you in the mouth and called you that all day to make you feel like shit. I love her for that.

Women call each other bitches and hoes.

There was a time when the word geek and nerd were only used as insults. Obviously not on the same level but it does happen.

Actually we do. Socio and hispana. Those are words we only use and no one else says.

Until now

CDV13

Lol.

Good on ya. I love rap and I'm white but people banging rap out of their car embarrass all rap fans.

This is bullshit. Maybe.....just fuckin maybe....those guys like the music and want to listen to it loudly, like most people do.

You were a douche for that.

Edit : I quoted the wrong person. But, your sentiment is pretty ridiculous too. It is not embarrassing at all, anyone can play whatever they want. If there are not children around (which brings up another point of censorship which I think is a bit overblown) who cares. If you get embarrassed for playing loud rap around others, that is on you, no one else thinks that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom