• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightdive Studios Wants To Remaster Eternal Darkness, No Luck So Far

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent discussion related to Nintendo's anti-piracy actions, Nightdive Studios CEO Stephen Kick spoke out about Nintendo's relationship with third-party developers.

Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick references his studio's experience working with Nintendo in the past, explaining that Nintendo has often been "gun shy" when working with third-party developers. Nightdive has approached Nintendo about remastering several of the company's older games, with Kick confirming that Eternal Darkness is at the top of his personal list of remasters for the studio. The studio has made a name for itself in recent years through several remasters of Nintendo 64-era games, such as the Turok series and the 2020 re-release

Y0ssarian

Banned
Vf8cPuE.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems like most of the N64 stuff is going into the sub service.

And I don't know if NightDive has even done a Gamecube level remaster.

And speaking about it publicly basically just ended their chances of ever getting it through Nintendo. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

I'd take WaveRace and F-Zero but I don't expect it.

SeraphJan

I would love another Eternal Darkness. My favorite Gamecube game.
Absolutely masterpiece, the Sanity Effect is one of the better innovation in the horror genre, if this game ever get remade, imaging how much graphic improvement could improve the overall horror atmosphere.

This game is one of the few game alongside Silent Hill 2 the example of video game as an art form.

Last edited:

Elios83

Where is the Blade Runner remaster they promised in the meantime?
Stealthly cancelled?

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
That’d be a game worth remastering, loved the sanity effects!
Yeah those were great. The one where it looked like the game crashed got me the first time. I can't think of any other game that has done these type of sanity effects to players. It was pretty innovative at the time and no one else has copied it that I can think of.

Although I do wonder if there is even a market for Eternal Darkness. A few years ago Denis Dyack tried to get funding for a spiritual successor and could not raise the money on kickstarter.

nkarafo

I have to say this though, if i didn't have my fancy 240hz gsync monitor, i would probably not care about their games. They run absolutely perfect on that monitor, 240fps and no microstutters or desyncs.

But all their games have sync issues on my standard 60hz TV. Turok 1, Turok 2, Shadowman, Powerslave, etc. All of them have random desyncs and stutters that don't get detected by RTSS (it shows perfect frame pacing despite the noticeable and obvious stutters).

I don't know whats up with that. Its not like this is happening with every other game, but it happens with all those remasters.

Isa

While I would like them to do it, as long as its intact, I don't mind a simple emulation if need be. I've always wanted to play this game but lost my GC only a few years after launch(I think during moving a friend stole it). Always seemed intriguing and well made. Every essay and review I've seen looked great.

fart town usa

Gold Member
While I would like them to do it, as long as its intact, I don't mind a simple emulation if need be. I've always wanted to play this game but lost my GC only a few years after launch(I think during moving a friend stole it). Always seemed intriguing and well made. Every essay and review I've seen looked great.
It's a great game. A lot of the sanity effects would be less effective on modern TVs but playing it on a CRT actually tricked me a few times, like the AV Input changing: searching frantically for the remote thinking you sat on it, lol.

My favorite one though, I won't spoil it but it literally had me raging for a few seconds, "WTF is going on!?!?!" and then *Poof* the game goes back to normal. Really memorable game your first time through.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

DrCheese

It's a great game. A lot of the sanity effects would be less effective on modern TVs but playing it on a CRT actually tricked me a few times, like the AV Input changing: searching frantically for the remote thinking you sat on it, lol.

My favorite one though, I won't spoil it but it literally had me raging for a few seconds, "WTF is going on!?!?!" and then *Poof* the game goes back to normal. Really memorable game your first time through.

Haha yarp. The bathroom bit is the only time a game has made me actually turn my TV off to calm down as well, it's so out of the leftfield.

Utterly amazing game, worth the cost of a GameCube alone. The soundtrack alone is win.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'd be curious how they are going to translate some of the Sanity Effects from the game. As much as I like Nightdive Studios, their System Shock KS campaign had an estimated date of 2017 and they've released multiple titles since then.

tommib

Absolutely masterpiece, the Sanity Effect is one of the better innovation in the horror genre, if this game ever get remade, imaging how much graphic improvement could improve the overall horror atmosphere.

This game is one of the few game alongside Silent Hill 2 the example of video game as an art form.
Hm, no. I love Eternal Darkness but to put it on the same pedestal as SH2 is a stretch. The sanity effects are cool but a gimmick and the game never really goes deep into psychological horror or the visual metaphors that Team Silent designed. SH2 has everlasting power because of how the personal nightmare that James goes through resonates with the player and how it works on an abstract level.

ED is at the end of the day a time travelling cosmic horror Resident Evil. Amazing game but far from the artistry of SH2. And the industrial soundtrack of Yamaoka elevates the whole thing as well.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Hm, no. I love Eternal Darkness but to put it on the same pedestal as SH2 is a stretch. The sanity effects are cool but a gimmick and the game never really goes deep into psychological horror or the visual metaphors that Team Silent designed. SH2 has everlasting power because of how the personal nightmare that James goes through resonates with the player and how it works in an abstract level.

ED is at the end of the day a time travelling cosmic horror Resident Evil. Amazing game but far from the artistry of SH2. And the industrial soundtrack of Yamaoka elevates the whole thing as well.

The Sanity Effects are a great gimmick and besides the visuals, really the only things that stand out in the game. That's not to say it is bad or anything but it is nowhere near the greatness of SH2.

SeraphJan

Hm, no. I love Eternal Darkness but to put it on the same pedestal as SH2 is a stretch. The sanity effects are cool but a gimmick and the game never really goes deep into psychological horror or the visual metaphors that Team Silent designed. SH2 has everlasting power because of how the personal nightmare that James goes through resonates with the player and how it works on an abstract level.

I understand where you came from. From a narrative point of view, Silent Hill 2 undoubtedly is the pedestal of horror genre. But Eternal Darkness did extreme well in its department too, game mechanic wise, its innovation.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’d prefer NoghtDive finish the titles they’re remastering such as SiN Reloaded, System Shock 2 and Blade Runner.

spookyfish

I am enjoying the crap out of Shadowman (PS5) and Powerslave Exhumed (Switch).

Shadowman is legit difficult, in that there is ZERO hand-holding on where to go. Still creepy as hell.

So YES to Eternal Darkness. Be cool if some cut content could be put back in, as long as we’re wishing.

Last edited:

Castef

Banned

In a recent discussion related to Nintendo's anti-piracy actions, Nightdive Studios CEO Stephen Kick spoke out about Nintendo's relationship with third-party developers.
I mean, that' a Nintendo first party game.

Why would Nintendo give it to a third party publisher?

Elios83

Not cancelled. But no official word on a release date or estimate either.

It seems like they had huge issues because the code of the original game was lost so they are trying to reverse engineering it and then remaster it.
I don't remember if the GoG version is just the original in an emulator wrapper.
In any case the fact that they can't be more specific isn't giving me much confidence :/

ShadowNate

It seems like they had huge issues because the code of the original game was lost so they are trying to reverse engineering it and then remaster it.
I don't remember if the GoG version is just the original in an emulator wrapper.
In any case the fact that they can't be more specific isn't giving me much confidence :/

The version on GOG uses ScummVM's open source engine for Blade Runner, which is a reimplementation of the original from reverse engineering it.
There was a period when Nightdive and the ScummVM project were considering an agreement to use their work in the remaster, but that did not work out. So then Nightdive decided to redo the reverse engineering themselves and here we are.

Top Bottom