• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightdive Studios Wants To Remaster Eternal Darkness, No Luck So Far

nkarafo

I mean, that' a Nintendo first party game.

Why would Nintendo give it to a third party publisher?
Why not? They gave most of their ips to third parties already.

F-Zero GX was made by Sega. Starfox Assault was made by Namco. Some Zelda games were made by Capcom. Metroid Prime was made by Retro. Some later Yoshi Island games were made by some other studio i don't remember it's name.

And so on.

fart town usa

Gold Member

F-Zero GX was made by Sega. Starfox Assault was made by Namco. Some Zelda games were made by Capcom. Metroid Prime was made by Retro. Some later Yoshi Island games were made by some other studio i don't remember it's name.

And so on.
Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask Remake too. Starfox Adventures was Rare. Excitebike 64, Excite Truck, Excitebots, etc. Graphics upgrades for TP HD was outsourced to a 3rd party, so was WW HD.

This is a case of people not being familiar with Nightdive and assuming that they aren't worthy of working on a Nintendo IP.

Astral Dog

I really liked Eternal Darkness, but its impossible to bring back that game, its not really known for gameplay design but its visual gimmick and writting, with original developer gone (and one main dev arrested), who could even attempt to copy it? Last real chance we had at more ED was when Shadow of the Eternals was a thing.

Thats what fans sometimes don't get, i remember some 'speculation' about Retro Studios taking over Eternal Darkness years ago, but why would they be interested on that over Metroid or DKC? Without SK its pointless

fart town usa

Gold Member
I really liked Eternal Darkness, but its impossible to bring back that game, its not really known for gameplay design but its visual gimmick and writting, with original developer gone (and one main dev arrested), who could even attempt to copy it? Last real chance we had at more ED was when Shadow of the Eternals was a thing.

Thats what fans sometimes don't get, i remember some 'speculation' about Retro Studios taking over Eternal Darkness years ago, but why would they be interested on that over Metroid or DKC? Without SK its pointless
If it's just a remaster, SK isn't needed at all. Nightdive doesn't really go out of their way to recreate the game, they just make small additions to control schemes so it doesn't feel archaic, but that's mostly for retro shooters. ED doesn't really feel archaic, it's just that some of the sanity effects are outdated with their presentation.

I was thinking about updated sanity tricks. It could be something like the game popping up the Home menu and then "closing" out of the game. Or the battery "dying". TV Input changes could have updated graphics to make it look accurate for modern TVs. Even something like the input changing and a streaming service popping up would be insanely effective, but I don't that'd be possible due to copyright and all that.

The other sanity effects would be fine cause they're handled in-game, like when your limbs start to fall off and whatnot. Those were the most effective for me cause it was like, "WTF is going on, why am I taking damage!?!"

intbal

Hey, Nightdive, if Nintendo won't play ball with their old titles, you can always turn to other publishers.
I bet Microsoft would be more than happy to let you remaster this old gem. They would probably even sell you the IP for peanuts.

trhlt2s.jpg

Castef

Banned

And so on.
Ok, for some reason I thought about Nightdive getting the IP for a multi-platform remaster. So, you are referring to a Switch exclusive remaster, right?

nkarafo

Ok, for some reason I thought about Nightdive getting the IP for a multi-platform remaster. So, you are referring to a Switch exclusive remaster, right?
Seeing how well their remasters have been, i don't see why Nintendo wouldn't want them to make an exclusive one for them.

Personally though, i would prefer them to stick to multiplatform remasters since i game on PC.

nkarafo

I have to say this though, if i didn't have my fancy 240hz gsync monitor, i would probably not care about their games. They run absolutely perfect on that monitor, 240fps and no microstutters or desyncs.

But all their games have sync issues on my standard 60hz TV. Turok 1, Turok 2, Shadowman, Powerslave, etc. All of them have random desyncs and stutters that don't get detected by RTSS (it shows perfect frame pacing despite the noticeable and obvious stutters).

I don't know whats up with that. Its not like this is happening with every other game, but it happens with all those remasters.

It seems the issue was me having two screens connected.

If i disconnect the monitor (pull the plug from the graphics card) and keep the 60hz TV, the game doesn't seem to cause any random stutters.

I remember having the exact same issue with Project Cars years ago.

That's annoying. Having to unplug the monitor every time i want to play on the TV. Thankfully, not all games suffer from this.

Top Bottom