• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja, the Fortnite streamer who's one of video gaming's biggest stars.

johntown

Banned
So you're saying he's only 97th percentile when he should be 100% the best? There's a variety of reasons to watch streamers beyond just abilities and Ninja is top notch, high energy, PG13, always streaming, no ridiculous drama... I don't care for the guy but I can certainly respect the hustle and understand the appeal, he is a quality streamer for many reasons.

We really disagree here.
First and foremost you're disregarding Fortnite's quality : You can argue you don't prefer the shooter mechanics but from whacky weapons to map updates to a variety of ways to even play any given match, the game is solid.
Then there's the fact it's opened doors and one of the first games to push for crossplay, a feature so incredible yet I'd have never imagined it playing Call of Duty on my Xbox 360 years ago. One playerbase. Fortnite.
And lastly of course is the idea is Fortnite's system for revenue works for them and games simple copying it have been massive failures except those that are, again, also quality - AS the love for Black Ops seems to be.

I am not saying the mechanics of the game are not solid. I "prefer" FPS for any competitive shooter as I feel 3rd person relies too heavily on auto-aim. I honestly don't know if Fortnite uses auto-aim but I assume it does.

What I dislike about the game is the free to play model they have. That is my biggest issue with the game. The second is that is looks like a game from last gen. It just looks cheap and dated (which is why I say a cash grab).

Are there some good features and mechanics in the game? Absolutely I agree with you but I still don't like the game.

DonF

I've seen a couple of fornite streamer's highlight videos, they are genuinely insanely good at the game. I understand why people would watch them. BUT!
I hate some of their personalities. Ninja in particular is very annoying to me. I'm clearly not his target audience.

renzolama

It's like when Ivan Drago flips out in Rocky 4 when told to win for Mother Russia and says "I FIGHT FOR ME! FOR ME!!!!" well "I GAME FOR ME! FOR ME!!!"

It would be worth putting in the effort to develop a modest streaming audience just to eventually have this epic breakdown live on stream - 10/10 would donate again

ROMhack

Say what you like about Ninja but I believe our world is better for having him in it. Without people like Ninja companies would have to think up creative marketing methods, which would likely divert funds away from development of cosmetic DLC items. Without heroes like Ninja we wouldn't have any of those brilliant costumes that make games like Fortnite infinitely better to play. Social stigma would be higher because we'd still be stuck in the stone age where games are seen as only for basement dwellers and total nerd dweebs. We'd all probably be bullied online within an inch of my life if divine beings like Ninja weren't roaming amongst us. Hell shit fuck. Fortnite might not even be free! Think about that! Without gods living amongst us mere disguisting mortals like Ninja we might have to pay for the honour of playing what might look like a game but really is actually a superb piece of art that should be inside the MOMA during one of their 'games are cool now guys get with the programme' exhibitions.

God bless Ninja, the ultra mega gaming rockstar-cum-rapstar with a heart of gold and a pocket full of thousand dollar bills.

Last edited:
Everytime I read these stories there's the inevitable comment "he/she works hard for his money".

Yeah, I get that gaming all day can be hard and stressful (especially so if you have family), but it still is nowhere near working shifts or working seven days a week under minimal wage supporting your family.

It wouldn't be close even if he streamed 24/7, with the money he's making (and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, mind you. With fame and ads comes money. I'm just saying that working "hard" is an entirely different thing).

Last edited:
How did Ninja become Ninja. Like so many people try to stream but fail to come close to his level of success.

Was it his skills at the game? Self-promotion across social media? A clip that went viral early? What’s the formula?

Caffeine

How did Ninja become Ninja. Like so many people try to stream but fail to come close to his level of success.

Was it his skills at the game? Self-promotion across social media? A clip that went viral early? What’s the formula?
he played a lot of sniper in halo and streamed for years with a moderate size audience, then fortnite came out and he was pulling off some ludicris shit in it. just previous shooter skill + right opportunity.

lock2k

Banned
I often ask if I'm really old or just out of touch whenever I see news like these.

I only care about games themselves... but I'm not immersed in this whole "culture".

Top Bottom