• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo cancels Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
ejdonk said:
Who cares about baseball anyway?

well...I was originally planning to buy both games. I'm pretty dissapointed. More so in Mario Baseball, but WSB2k3 was a great game and I was excited to see what they would do for Nintendo. With all these licensing wars going on, another baseball franchise that is good offers us all more choice. And as a lover of Baseball Stars I was really hoping Mario Baseball would be a modern day revival.

This whole thing bums me out. DS to the rescue.

NWO

MarkRyan said:

Yeah its old news. The game was already pushed back to miss the 2005 baseball season and if your going to release it in 2006 then its going to be a Revolution title and not on the Cube. Nintendo wants to have other games online for the Rev and this is one that we will probably see with maybe a title change though.

Geek said:
Not very good, but fast.

reggielisa0ek.jpg
:lol :lol :lol :lol
lmfao!! Class.

I'm surprised to hear about this, the game seemed near completion...why the hell cancel it now? What's going on over there...

Mrbob

Musashi Wins! said:
Screw this game...here's my bad Nintendo news.

I got to play Mario Baseball for a short while today (not the us version though) and it's lousy. Fielding is ass and feels very unpolished. It very much lacks the tighter interface that Nintendo games are famous for. That's my heartbreaking baseball/nintendo news.

Sorry for the Sega guys, though.

You should have listened to your gut instinct after Game Informer said the fielding controls were ass. :p

Anyway, regarding Pennant Chase Baseball, Nintendo has missed the release date by about, oh 5 months. This game needs to be out in mid March or early April. They can use what they have for next years version and releast that.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Musashi Wins! said:
well...I was originally planning to buy both games. I'm pretty dissapointed. More so in Mario Baseball, but WSB2k3 was a great game and I was excited to see what they would do for Nintendo. With all these licensing wars going on, another baseball franchise that is good offers us all more choice. And as a lover of Baseball Stars I was really hoping Mario Baseball would be a modern day revival.

This whole thing bums me out. DS to the rescue.

I actually enjoyed Mario Baseball quite a bit. Sure, playing against the CPU sometimes blows because it gets a hit whenever it needs one when the game is tight, but playing head-to-head is a blast. It's completely unpredictable and the anger/excitement generated by the random hazards in the outfield means you can never count someone out. I haven't found the fielding to be a problem, honestly. Mind you, I've been playing the game for a good three weeks. My main gripe is that the minigames aren't all that fun and the single-player option is a repetitive yet necessary exercise.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
satterfield said:
I actually enjoyed Mario Baseball quite a bit. Sure, playing against the CPU sometimes blows because it gets a hit whenever it needs one when the game is tight, but playing head-to-head is a blast. It's completely unpredictable and the anger/excitement generated by the random hazards in the outfield means you can never count someone out. I haven't found the fielding to be a problem, honestly. Mind you, I've been playing the game for a good three weeks. My main gripe is that the minigames aren't all that fun and the single-player option is a repetitive yet necessary exercise.

well...I'd like to say that my impression would change as well with extended play, I didn't get to play it very long, but my short feeling with it was that it was definitely not worth $50. I liked the stages I saw, and the obstacles are no problem, but the movement definitely felt "off" to me. Basically, the game seemed very unfun once you left pitching/batting, which is a lot of the game unfortunately. My acquaintance/store guy who had the game said the single player was very short.

I guess I just had very high expectations for it. The Mario sports line has been pretty dissapointing in my eyes. Golf is ok and Tennis is not very good. This felt more in line with Tennis to me.

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
Hahaha. I called this while I was playing it at E3. What a disaster. Shed no tears, it needed to be put down.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Musashi Wins! said:
well...I'd like to say that my impression would change as well with extended play, I didn't get to play it very long, but my short feeling with it was that it was definitely not worth $50. I liked the stages I saw, and the obstacles are no problem, but the movement definitely felt "off" to me. Basically, the game seemed very unfun once you left pitching/batting, which is a lot of the game unfortunately. My acquaintance/store guy who had the game said the single player was very short.

I guess I just had very high expectations for it. The Mario sports line has been pretty dissapointing in my eyes. Golf is ok and Tennis is not very good. This felt more in line with Tennis to me.

Well, each character runs differently. Maybe you were controlling a fielder with a poor running rating. Tapping the B button makes them sprint, which may be why you felt the fielding was sluggish.

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
The graphics were weak, the announcers were uninteresting, the animation was poor...
It never felt like the ball hit the bat, and the AI fielding was pretty horrible from what I remember. If it had launched with the GCN, then it would have been okay, at least to fill a void in the sports lineup, but at this point in time - no way.

Speevy

Banned
Someone start a thread "Should Nintendo bring Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball to Revolution with new graphics? OMG THAT WOULD MAKE IT SELL BETTER AT LAUNCH"

Top Bottom