• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 1/14/15 (6AM PST / 9AM EST)

schaft0620

You guys fall for this Nintendo direct stuff every single time, each thread getting better and better.

ALL THE STARFOX WERE GIVEN

Finally we would see that Starfox game. Ohhh my godddd. Don't dissapoint us, Miyamoto! I'm sure you won't but still don't make it a bad spin-off title like Zelda's Crossbow Training or something like that. It's Fox McCloud's great comeback!

Zelda U Trailer
New Metroid
SMT x FE Trailer + Date
Majora´s Mask Date
F-Zero Wii U
New Captain Falcon Action game by Platinum
Yarn Yoshi Date
Xenoblade Chronicles X Western Release Date
Splatoon Trailer + Date
Devil´s Third new Trailer - blows minds + Date
Project S.T.E.A.M. Date
Fatal Frame Western Release Date

I'm on the ride! I'M ON THE RIDE!

PLEASE NINTENDO. WII U. SNAP 2.

My prediciton:

F-Zero WiiU announcement
Star Fox WiiU gameplay
Metroid U announcement
Eternal Darkness U announcement
Wave Race U announcement (release next month)
Beach Spikers U exclusive
Mario Sunshine HD remake
Fatal Frame EU release
Zelda release date
Elite Beat Agents U announcement

FUCK YES MOTHER FUCKERS IT'S HAPPENING

Eternal Darkness 2
SMTxFE
Splatoon
New IPs
New Mario somehow
2 new metroids
F-Zero returns
that halo game for DS now on 3DS
fucking everything

BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!

Omg, far too hyped to sleep and it's 2AM.... Wonder if I should play Bravely Default or Pokemon....

Can't wait for the following bombs to get dropped during the japanese Direct today:

・Famicom Detective Club (3DS Reboot)
・Ganbare Goemon 64 (3DS Remake)
・Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (3DS Remake)
・Battalion Wars (3DS)
・Wave Race U (Wii U)
・Blast Corps Dynamite U (Wii U)
・Mischief Makers 2 (Wii U)
・1080° K2 (Wii U)

and to kick off Mario's 30th anniversary, Super Mario Land 1-3 as 3D Classics free for 3DS owners available today for a limited time only.

This Direct is why I bought $250 worth of eShop cards on Black Friday.

hoserx

There are those who felt the 3DS was being left to die this year while Wii U has some of Nintendo's biggest and best franchises getting new games in 2015, so perhaps Nintendo felt it best to focus on the 3DS with this direct to remind everyone it exists and has new content on the way.

But seriously, no LL version for America, no colored buttons, no AC adapter (I know this is the same everywhere) and no pack-in of Majora's Mask in the Majora's Mask New 3DS Bundle???

Screw that. I was considering getting one but I'll just stick with my old 3DS XL now...

There is an LL version.

Chaos17

Loved that Direct.
Fire Emblem announcement taken my breath away.
Xenoblade made me dream.
Splattoon made me Giggle
Puzzle and Dragon package is really clever.
New Nintendo 3DS and amiboos wave make my wallet cry.

Thank you Nintendo!!

gif__bayonetta_blow_kiss_by_playstation_addict-d7hzrlj.gif

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Oh well, if anything, this direct showed that there will in fact still be stuff to play on the 3DS in the future.

Gsnap

Haha. Well looks like I'm not getting a new 3DS after all. That'll save me some money.

Pretty boring Direct overall. It was nice to see new splatoon and xenoblade stuff though.

oh and fire emblem. Looks pretty cool.

There is an LL version.

No. The poster you quoted was talking about an LL version as in, non-XL version for America. LL = standard size. So unless you have a source there is no LL/standard version size of N3DS announced for America.

Wow, NOA and Reggie never cease to amaze me. It's like every year they have a round table where they apparently say, "How can we continue to make ourselves come off the worst branch of Nintendo?" Horrible marketing and terrible ads? Check. Awful VC release schedule. Check. Marginalizing and stagnation of Club Nintendo? Check? Not offering occasional anazing perks NOE occasionally offers like the N3DS Ambassador purchase program? Check. Refuse to offer a more convenient to carry version of our new upcoming portable and price it at $199 with a screen that has compromised resolution? Check." I mean, the mind boggles.

Seil

No. The poster you quoted was talking about an LL version as in, non-XL version for America. LL = standard size. So unless you have a source there is no LL/standard version size of N3DS announced for America.

Wow, NOA and Reggie never cease to amaze me. It's like every year they have a round table where they apparently say, "How can we continue to make ourselves the worst branch of Nintendo?"

LL is the XL in Japan. Normal size is just 3DS.

hoserx

Wow, NOA and Reggie never cease to amaze me. It's like every year they have a round table where they apparently say, "How can we continue to make ourselves the worst branch of Nintendo?"

LL is the XL.........

HeySeuss

Oh so there are 2 versions of the new 3ds, a smaller and a larger one in Japan but here in the States we only get the bigger one?

Is that what everyone is all up in arms about? I don't understand why that's a huge deal.

LL is the XL.........

Then it *probably* would have made more sense to save everyone some time and let the poster you replied to know that since the poster said "But seriously, no LL version for America" would enable anyone with reading comprehension skills to know that like me, the poster obviously mistakenly thought that LL was the labeling for standard size in territories outside the U.S. since the LL labeling doesn't EXIST in NA.

Seil

Oh so there are 2 versions of the new 3ds, a smaller and a larger one in Japan but here in the States we only get the bigger one?

Is that what everyone is all up in arms about? I don't understand why that's a huge deal.

EU gets the normal size as well. Normal size is larger than the OG 3DS, slightly bigger screen, more comfortable etc. But not as bulky as the XL and with a better PPI than the XL. A lot of people, myself included, considered the normal size n3DS to be perfect and was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, thanks to region locking, we can't even import the thing.

Normal size also has faceplates and super famicom colored buttons which appeal to some people. EU even gets a limited edition, early release Ambassador normal size n3DS, while we don't get them at all.

Gruco

Banned
So, my lazy, recollection based reactions:

Fire Emblem - at first thought it was xSMT or a Wii U game. Disappointed for 3DS. More disappointed to see the join pair system is still in use. Hopefully they get the kinks out with the terrible balance that imposed on FE:A. And fix the DLC. Will still buy.

Wii titles - Really natural, when you consider that the Wii had such a broad audience and people probably missed out on a lot of classic games, and the Wii U is now targeting these types of consumers more. I will probably get all of these day 1. Like, literally all. So much potential here too.

Xenoblade Trailer - Absolutely mind blowingly good.

Splatoon - The reveal has been really well managed, from the core concept, to the solo game, to now the social and customization scene. Really has the potential to create a community as big as Smash, Kart, and Pokemon. Hope it takes off. Definite buy.

Misc Amiibo stuff - Well, I have to get Ike now. The "physical DLC" angle is growing more interesting and compelling as they reveal more compatible games.

Puzzles and Dragon - so, if these is actually a well balanced puzzle game without microtransactions, I may consider it, just out of curiosity. The package deal is cool.

New 3DS - I'm not too concerned about the lack of normalsize. I never transport my 3DS in a pocket, and thie saves me from overthinking it. Will probably get right away, as the improved screen size, 3D quality, and C stick are pretty big upgrades, and there are a LOT of 3DS games I still need to work through.

Indie reel - I still haven't played Gunman Clive, but 2 looks good. Elliot Quest seems cool too.

Then it *probably* would have made more sense to let the poster you replied to know that since the poster said "But seriously, no LL version for America" would enable anyone with reading comprehension skills to know that the poster obviously thought that LL was the labeling for standard size.

I did, thought XL was big and LL was small, will edit...

Gsnap

The smaller version has better colors and would have been able to support faceplates, something that they seemed to be pushing pretty hard, so it's a huge surprise that it's not going to be a part of the American market at all.

Aside from that, the only downside to the smaller version is that it's smaller, which to some people is actually a benefit, and to many people something that they don't care about either way.

So to a lot of us, the regular version was a much better deal, and not having the option is really annoying.

Saiyan-Rox

Who's ready for the scalpers?

Someone's already selling a pre-order at $450.

Nope, if you use the same amiibo for Smash, then use it for MP10, then the Smash data will be erased. And vice-versa if you use the same amiibo back to Smash. I assume this is why they're releasing 2 different Mario amiibos for this reason.

Pre-orders for this for the US are still live right? So who in all honesty would be silly enough to buy it for that price :S

Still waiting for the pre-orders to go live here in the UK (I think) i'm real tempted to order that console but I already have an Aussie model imported :(

The worst part for me was probably the Wii VC, I have no need to buy games I already own again, and at most will probably only use the feature for the small handful of games that I never bought. Plus, I'm kinda disappointing to see SMG2 on there, as I was hoping for a SMGHD pack at some point. :/

All around like I said, it wasn't disappointing, just not all that interesting.

hoserx

Then it *probably* would have made more sense to let the poster you replied to know that since the poster said "But seriously, no LL version for America" would enable anyone with reading comprehension skills to know that the poster obviously thought that LL was the labeling for standard size.

it *probably* would have made more sense for you to know what the LL was before you said "No." in regards to my post.

Smellycat

Xenoblade X, Kirby, Splatton and Zelda MM looks awesome! Can't wait! And we can finally play downloadable Wii games on WiiU! I lost my copy of SMG2 and I have never played the Metroid Prime trilogy.

I guess we have to wait for E3 to see Zelda WiiU. I just can't wait :(

Saiyan-Rox

The worst part for me was probably the Wii VC, I have no need to buy games I already own again, and at most will probably only use the feature for the small handful of games that I never bought. Plus, I'm kinda disappointing to see SMG2 on there, as I was hoping for a SMGHD pack at some point. :/

All around like I said, it wasn't disappointing, just not all that interesting.

I ended up buying Galaxy 2 (couldn't say no to the price) and the fact of getting the metroid trilogy for the same price is amazing! that damn thing was hard enough to get on launch.

HeySeuss

The smaller version has better colors and would have been able to support faceplates, something that they seemed to be pushing pretty hard, so it's a huge surprise that it's not going to be a part of the American market at all.

Aside from that, the only downside to the smaller version is that it's smaller, which to some people is actually a benefit, and to many people something that they don't care about either way.

So to a lot of us, the regular version was a much better deal, and not having the option is really annoying.

Good to have options I suppose. Maybe Nintendo doesn't feel the average American consumer would understand that the normal sized is different from the current 3ds on the shelf. I would bet it'll be rolled out later, maybe after the current model is phased out.

Mhmmm 2077

I wonder how this Wii VC works now... it's emulated? I don't think so, because Wii U is backward compatible, but it's not inside Wii Menu somehow... so it's native... will the resolution be higher than on Wii? I don't think so, but it would be awesome.

Mupod

Monster Hunter Tri.
Yeah, I did not really do online much. I found SP way boring.

Well I'm hoping MH4 works out for you. Tri is infamous for being slow and boring at the start, even for a series that's always had a learning curve like a brick wall. I'm really curious to see what they did with this new demo.

I played with GAF a lot at MH3U's launch and there were a few people who only did the bare minimum of solo play. Personally I like both as they're very different experiences. The GAF MH community is pretty great so if you're looking for people to play the demo with I advise checking out the threads.

Raitaro

Oh well, if anything, this direct showed that there will in fact still be stuff to play on the 3DS in the future.

While I get your point, for me that's never been a real concern as I had fate that 3DS software would be coming for a while at least. Rather it's the Wii U's drip fed lineup of announced games that I've been worried about since the first Direct that featured the console (in which, if I remember correctly, the 3DS also took up a good portion of the screen time).

Apart from the (to me still unlikely) option that they themselves are now almost openly admitting that it's no longer worth it to bring out more than a few key Wii U titles a year to keep that system afloat (while they work on a successor), I for the life of me can't understand why 3/4th of the titles shown in pretty much ALL Directs are still not showing Wii U releases (or at least 3DS and Wii U combined eshop releases). Why the continued Wii U sparseness of 5 or so releases a year in other words?

The new Fire Emblem is a good example of this. While very exciting, wouldn't it have been better / more fair if this time we got a new console game instead? The same goes for Code Name Steam and the new Rhythm Tengoku game (= bring to the West please!). Why are those 3DS games and not at least also Wii U eshop games? I get that Nintendo caters to their Japanese handheld loving audience first and foremost, but at this point they seem to be ignoring relatively easy ways to flesh out the Wii U library and that seems unfair to the people who care mostly about console Nintendo games (like me) and watch every Direct as well.

Apart from those caveats I did enjoy the Direct and continue to be pleasantly surprised by how well Nintendo and its people have adapted to this format for presenting new releases in an exciting way. They've steadily grown into being some of my most anticipated gaming related content on the internet, frequent disappointments and frustrations aside.

Ps. the Wii eshop releases, while great sounding at first, do bum me out a bit if they prevent true 720p versions of those games being released down the line.

Pps. What do you guys think are the chances of Nintendo releasing a patch for Kid Icarus: Uprising so that it can be played on the New 3DS using the second analogue nub? Would that actually improve the controls in that game (I haven't played it yet so I'm actually curious).

I ended up buying Galaxy 2 (couldn't say no to the price) and the fact of getting the metroid trilogy for the same price is amazing! that damn thing was hard enough to get on launch.

Putting Wii games out on Wii U is a great idea, I'm really curious to see what the future holds. I have low expectations and high hopes...

EDIT :

I wonder how this Wii VC works now... it's emulated? I don't think so, because Wii U is backward compatible, but it's not inside Wii Menu somehow... so it's native... will the resolution be higher than on Wii? I don't think so, but it would be awesome.

Curious about this too, will it look the same as playing these games in Wii mode on the Wii U? I don't really know how the upscaling is implemented, is there any chance it'll be more like playing the games on Dolphin where the game is actually rendered at higher resolutions?

Crayolan

Not sure where the best place to post this is, but Nintendo's JP Youtube Channel has some new videos with Majora's Mask 3D footage up. You can see some new things like the updated bomber's notebook, item UI, feather statues (yes, they are statues scattered around the world like owl statues), and Link completely wrecking Twinmold.

I really really enjoyed this direct.

New 3DS info came, though a lack of AC adapter was a little wtf.

Best Xenoblade trailer we've had yet, along with a New Fire Emblem. Splatoon looking baller hip as well.

Gsnap

Good to have options I suppose. Maybe Nintendo doesn't feel the average American consumer would understand that the normal sized is different from the current 3ds on the shelf. I would bet it'll be rolled out later, maybe after the current model is phased out.

Haha. Maybe. But if Americans are that stupid then they're not going to know the difference between the old and new XLs either, making releasing any new edition pointless. Therefore if they're going to release one, they should release both.

I'm sure it's just because they think that it won't sell. Which of course sucks for those of us that were going to buy it.

Axass

Two years and still no bingo.

StarFox really threw me off, I thought we were finally getting a trailer. BTW I think it's been a very 3DS focused direct this time around, especially considering the FE and RH megatons.

While I get your point, for me that's never been a real concern as I had fate that 3DS software would be coming for a while at least. Rather it's the Wii U's drip fed lineup of announced games that I've been worried about since the first Direct that featured the console (in which, if I remember correctly, the 3DS also took up a good portion of the screen time).

Apart from the (to me still unlikely) option that they themselves are now almost openly admitting that it's no longer worth it to bring out more than a few key Wii U titles a year to keep that system afloat (while they work on a successor), I for the life of me can't understand why 3/4th of the titles shown in pretty much ALL Directs are still not showing Wii U releases (or at least 3DS and Wii U combined eshop releases). Why the continued Wii U sparseness of 5 or so releases a year in other words?

The new Fire Emblem is a good example of this. While very exciting, wouldn't it have been better / more fair if this time we got a new console game instead? The same goes for Code Name Steam and the new Rhythm Tengoku game (= bring to the West please!). Why are those 3DS games and not at least also Wii U eshop games? I get that Nintendo caters to their Japanese handheld loving audience first and foremost, but at this point they seem to be ignoring relatively easy ways to flesh out the Wii U library and that seems unfair to the people who care mostly about console Nintendo games (like me) and watch every Direct as well.

Apart from those caveats I did enjoy the Direct and continue to be pleasantly surprised by how well Nintendo and its people have adapted to this format for presenting new releases in an exciting way. They've steadily grown into being some of my most anticipated gaming related content on the internet, frequent disappointments and frustrations aside.

Ps. the Wii eshop releases, while great sounding at first, do bum me out a bit if they prevent true 720p versions of those games being released down the line.

Pps. What do you guys think are the chances of Nintendo releasing a patch for Kid Icarus: Uprising so that it can be played on the New 3DS using the second analogue nub? Would that actually improve the controls in that game (I haven't played it yet so I'm actually curious).

This and I wholeheartedly agree and made statements about such regards in previous threads. Nintendo is way too much invested and focused on 3DS and ignoring to support Wii U, which is the system in distress for a better library and sales. Without games, there'll be no sales. And no, disappointing Wii U sales and bigger 3DS userbase aren't valid excuses to be defeatist and give up supporting it as some apologysts (or detractors) tried to defend.

Jagsrock

Banned
This was a more subtle direct that introduced a lot of things.

-Downloadable Wii games and gamepad compatible is awesome.
-New amiibos
-fire emblem
-project treasure
-tingle in hyrule warriors
-splatoon still looks amazing
-xenoblade still 2015 and looking good
-cross buy introduced with Mario minis
-lots of n3ds info and games. And solid release date
-iron fall
-c stick c stick c stick c stick lol also compatible with older games

It was definitely a little 3ds heavy but that's to be expected with the n3ds release so close.

I was kinda under the assumption that both Wooly World and Mario Maker would be spring titles, now I'm not so sure, which makes me kinda question how they're gonna squeeze in all the games in a little over half a year. I mean, I really doubt that they're gonna release anything in June or July, at least in the US which leaves, assuming that Wooly World and Mario Maker release after Splatoon, August, September, October, and November, and maybe December, but I highly doubt that.

So on the Wii U side of things...

February: Nothing
March: Mario Party 10
April: maybe Mario Maker or maybe Wooly World.
May: Splatoon
June: Most likely nothing going off past experiences
July: ^
August: maybe Wooly World
September: maybe Mario Maker
October: Star Fox?
November: Xenoblade X
December: Likely nothing going off past experiences.

...which of course might mean, well you know, one of the other games could get delayed to keep the schedule from being cramped. I mean I doubt it, and I'm not trying to come off as overly cynical or anything in regards to this direct, I just found the lack of info on games like Wooly World and Mario Maker, a little unsettling.

This and I wholeheartedly agree and made statements about such regards in previous threads. Nintendo is way too much invested and focused on 3DS and ignoring to support Wii U, which is the system in distress for a better library and sales. Without games, there'll be no sales. And no, disappointing Wii U sales and bigger 3DS userbase aren't valid excuses to be defeatist and give up supporting it as some apologysts (or detractors) tried to defend.

I can only speak for myself on this part, but I've loved every Fire Emblem game on handhelds and never been able to enjoy one on a home console. I don't know why, it's just how I am.

Also, you might not like it, but the 3DS's bigger userbase, cheaper development cost and higher sales potential are more than valid reasons for why Fire Emblem and other games are on 3DS instead of Wii U. I don't like it, but that doesn't make it not valid.

They're hardly ignoring the Wii U, this year (barring delays) has the potential the be Wii U's best year yet with Zelda, Xenoblade, Star Fox, Kirby, Yoshi and more coming out.

So on the Wii U side of things...

February: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
March: Mario Party 10
April: Mario Maker
May: Splatoon
June: Wooly World
July: Nothing
August: ^
September: ^
October: Star Fox
November: Xenoblade X
December: Zelda maybe...

Edited your list to put up my predictions.
Yeah it seems really weak overall.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Maybe it was for logistical reasons. Nintendo might already have a hard time getting shelf space at retailers, so trying to add faceplates into the mix was just unfeasible.

Edited your list to put up my predictions.
Yeah it seems really weak overall.

Completely forgot about Rainbow Curse. lol Anyways, I hope that it's like that, but I kinda really doubt they'd want to release Zelda in December, starting to worry it'll slip into 2016, and they'll mask the issue by pointing out that 2016 is the 30th anniversary.

it *probably* would have made more sense for you to know what the LL was before you said "No." in regards to my post.

Oh I'm sorry, didn't realize people should just automatically know all the cross labeling for multi-territorial consumer products. In my experience, a lot of people think the LL is the name for the standard outside the U.S. Case in point as the poster you replied to followed up, double confirming the true intent of his original reply (not like what he meant wasn't glaringly obvious already):

I did, thought XL was big and LL was small, will edit...

So, if you were actually interested in whether or not people either possess or are cognizant of correct information beforehand as you put it, in this case, it *probably* would have made more sense to have simply replied with something like this:

But seriously, no LL version for America..

America is getting the LL version. The LL is what the XL is referred to outside the U.S.

So no offense, but regardless if it was intentional or not, in this context, your original reply was lazy, poorly worded, inherently unhelpful and obviously allowed both Scooter and anyone else reading his post who had this same misconception to continue to mistakenly think, as he and I did, that the LL was the standard size label for units outside the U.S. which the U.S. is not getting which was *obviously* what he was complaining about and what most everyone else in the thread has been complaining about since unless I'm missing something, few if anyone who viewed the Direct and is bothering to comment in this thread would somehow misconstrue the Direct to mean that the U.S. wasn't actually getting the XL. Now, are you going to once again imitate the wording in my post with something condescending and rediculously nonsensical like "No offense, but you should have known beforehand LL is actually the non-U.S. label for XL"?

I can only speak for myself on this part, but I've loved every Fire Emblem game on handhelds and never been able to enjoy one on a home console. I don't know why, it's just how I am.

Also, you might not like it, but the 3DS's bigger userbase, cheaper development cost and higher sales potential are more than valid reasons for why Fire Emblem and other games are on 3DS instead of Wii U. I don't like it, but that doesn't make it not valid.

They're hardly ignoring the Wii U, this year (barring delays) has the potential the be Wii U's best year yet with Zelda, Xenoblade, Star Fox, Kirby, Yoshi and more coming out.

Don't complain later if Wii U sales are disappointing then if your not willing to supporting it. And those games you mentioned have been announced for quite a time, it's been a while since a big new Wii U announcement was made.

Top Bottom