• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 1/14/15 (6AM PST / 9AM EST)

Dear Nintendo please release Xenoblade ( Wii) on Wiiu now that you can....I am ready to download it.....!!!!

Seems somewhat doubtful selling it for (presumably less) as a digital download on the Wii U when they're charging full price for the 3DS game.

Who knows though, would be cool if it came.

Seems somewhat doubtful selling it for (presumably less) as a digital download on the Wii U when they're charging full price for the 3DS game.

They should do an HD port like Wind Waker and charge $50 bucks for it.
Yes, I will buy it and the 3DS version even though I already have the Wii version.

MrNineties

question - so let's say I pop my physical copy of Galaxy 2 into the Wii U this evening. does anything change for me?

The implication is that disc-based Wii software is still using Wii mode, whereas the new eShop downloadable titles are not requiring that in some way thereby allowing things like gamepad controlled games, etc.

Your immediate evening plans will not change, no :p

If some of the forty million or more people who own a 3ds but not a Wiiu buy a wiiu to get xenoblade for ten or twenty bucks instead of forty, I don't think Nintendo would be too upset.

tanooki27

The implication is that disc-based Wii software is still using Wii mode, whereas the new eShop downloadable titles are not requiring that in some way thereby allowing things like gamepad controlled games, etc.

it seemed like iwata was gesturing toward being able to play solely on the gamepad. anyone else get that vibe? or is that the deal?

mrlion

Well no I wouldn't say that's true. Maybe its spaghetti night this evening and as he is eating it and play SMG2 he can start talking like Mario since he's Italian. I dunno I wanted to come up with something funny but not sure if it worked...

Cyd0nia

Banned
This was so 3DS heavy it was very disappointing as a Wii U only owner

Puzzle v Dragons
Fire Emblem
Pokemon Shuffle
Nintendo Anime Channel

I'd have taken a port of any of those on Wii U. Its particularly disappointing to watch Fire Emblem's gorgeous cut scene segue into. The fugly 3DS gameplay

My interest is piqued by Project Treasure and Mario Vs Donkey Kong but what else was there? Footage of things we already knew a lot about, with minor news about modes and amiibos.

No wooly world, no Kirby, no art academy date or news. The Wii games are standard definition with no patching for the console's default control schemes.

3DS is dead to me so I just didn't care about a lot of it.

This was so 3DS heavy it was very disappointing as a Wii U only owner

Puzzle v Dragons
Fire Emblem
Pokemon Shuffle
Nintendo Anime Channel

I'd have taken a port of any of those on Wii U. Its particularly disappointing to watch Fire Emblem's gorgeous cut scene segue into. The fugly 3DS gameplay

My interest is piqued by Project Treasure and Mario Vs Donkey Kong but what else was there? Footage of things we already knew a lot about, with minor news about modes and amiibos.

No wooly world, no Kirby, no art academy date or news. The Wii games are standard definition with no patching for the console's default control schemes.

3DS is dead to me so I just didn't care about a lot of it.
I feel like E3 will be more Wii U heavy than 3DS with Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, Devil's Third, Mario Maker, Yoshi, and some surprises like maybe Retro's next game or some other things.

MrNineties

it seemed like iwata was gesturing toward being able to play solely on the gamepad. anyone else get that vibe? or is that the deal?

I agree that was the impression we were left with. A bit odd this is quite possibly going to appear before all of the other BC/Emulation we were promised for their legacy platforms, but I won't complain :)

Macka

Well that was shit. Nothing really new aside from Fire Emblem. Which probably means Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei is dead.

No regular New3DS is ridiculous.

Most of the Amiibo support is uninteresting or feels like it's just lowering the difficulty of the game.

Where was Star Fox?

tanooki27

I agree that was the impression we were left with. A bit odd this is quite possibly going to appear before all of the other BC/Emulation we were promised for their legacy platforms, but I won't complain :)

Because if i could do smg2 via off tv play - that would be, you know awesome.

jariw

So on the Wii U side of things...

February: Nothing
March: Mario Party 10
April: maybe Mario Maker or maybe Wooly World.
May: Splatoon
June: Most likely nothing going off past experiences
July: ^
August: maybe Wooly World
September: maybe Mario Maker
October: Star Fox?
November: Xenoblade X
December: Likely nothing going off past experiences.

Have Devil's Third, Zelda U and Miyamoto's 2 other projects been cancelled? And where's the Kirby game? And regarding your December experience: Captain Toad was released in the US this past December, and it was first announced at E3.

Hatchtag

Banned
Fair enough, but they covered Xenoblade Chronicle X.

Spring in Japan. The only non-Spring titles covered were Xenoblade Chronicles X (which is Spring in Japan), Rhythym Heaven (which is only announced for Japan so far), Kirby (in Europe lol), and Fire Emblem (which is Summer in Japan).

Have Devil's Third, Zelda U and Miyamoto's 2 other projects been cancelled? And where's the Kirby game? And regarding your December experience: Captain Toad was released in the US this past December, and it was first announced at E3.
Lots of gaf takes a Zelda delay into 2016for granted.

Hiltz

I guess Star Fox won't be out by E3 then despite Miyamoto saying he wants it released by June. Maybe we'll see one of those rare July releases. Devil's Third was reconfirmed for 2015 by the game's director, Itagaki. Here's his statement about it from last month:
“It looks like Devil’s Third for Wii U is just about done. The release date announcement will still take a little longer, but let’s play together when it releases. It’s loads of fun!!” - December 31st

Hiltz

AFAIK, Miyamoto has only said that he will have a playable demo at E3.

Miyamoto talked about Star fox back in E3 2014:

"We have gone into full development and it's progressing well. We're going to be showing it to everybody as soon as we feel it's totally ready, but we're planning on completing it within about a year from now, so I hope everyone will be looking forward to Star Fox on Wii U."

"So instead we moved experimentation to the Wii U using some of the same assets [taken from experiments initially started on Wii by a small dev team] "It's been maybe 6 to 10 months that we've been experimenting with it."

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...u-about-a-year-from-completion-miyamoto-says/

Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem

SMT x Fire Emblem. New Fire Emblem on 3DS. New Fire Emblem on Wii U. FE4 Remake. Fire Emblem Arena Ultimate. Fire Emblem & Knuckles. ANYTHING I'LL TAKE IT

AT LEAST WE GOT ONE

I guess Star Fox won't be out by E3 then despite Miyamoto saying he wants it released by June. Maybe we'll see one of those rare July releases. Devil's Third was reconfirmed for 2015 by the game's director, Itagaki. Here's his statement about it from last month:

I am guessing Star Fox October and Zelda may be by December, but my gut says Zelda is going to be Feb. 2016.

Fire Emblem & Knuckles made me laugh BTW.

Hiltz

I am guessing Star Fox October and Zelda may be by December, but my gut says Zelda is going to be Feb. 2016.

Fire Emblem & Knuckles made me laugh BTW.

I still think Star Fox will out during the summer with an August release at the latest. Xenoblade and Zelda will likely make up the holiday lineup, assuming Nintendo's not going to also announce and release Animal Crossing Wii U ( it teased us about it late last year on sharing news some time this year). My head hurts to think about delays for Zelda and Xenoblade X.

Thank you Nintendo!!

gif__bayonetta_blow_kiss_by_playstation_addict-d7hzrlj.gif

My thoughts exactly. All around this was a pretty good Direct

Puzzles and Dragons Combo pack
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Fire Emblem If
Pokemon Shuffle game (don't care that much, but it is free)
Majora's Mask 3D hype
Codename Steam hype
Etrian Mystery Dungeon (wasn't a focus, but I'm still excited for it)
New 3DS

My wallet is ready
to die :'(

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished watching the whole thing and I must say that it was very underwhelming. The only good things were Monster Hunter (even though we didn't get the demo today) and MM3D.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just realized Nintendo didn't speak of the bunny stamp thingy in either NoA or NoE markets.

Another show, another set of hype over nothing. As far as I can see, the only major game announcement was Fire Emblem? At least Sony people were able to admit the December show was overblown, and that had more interesting announcements than this.

It's also yet another Direct where they show nothing new for the Wii U, which is becoming pretty telling for their plans from 2016 and beyond. People seem to accept that the Dec/Jan announcements are Nintendo's biggest outside of June.

Top Bottom